Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,499 members, 7,808,848 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:52 PM

Catholic Church Speaks On Payment Of Tithe - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic Church Speaks On Payment Of Tithe (1535 Views)

Why I Demanded Return Of Tithe From My Former Church – Abuja Man / Reno Omokri: Paying Of Tithe Cannot Provide Divine Protection / Pastor Wole Oladiyun: Payment Of Tithe Is For Every Christian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catholic Church Speaks On Payment Of Tithe by olajay86(m): 7:50am On Dec 14, 2017
http://www.titopeblog.com/2017/12/catholic-church-speaks-on-payment-of.html

The Catholic Church has shared its position on the controversial issue of payment of tithe raging in the country.

Speaking to Punch on the matter, the Very Rev. Msgr. Gabriel Osu, the director of Catholic Communication and the Apostleship of Prayer League of Sacred Heart of Jesus, pointed out that tithing was not a must and was purely voluntary in the Catholic church.

The Priest said in the Catholic church, members are not compelled to pay the tithe.

He said, “The first mention of a tithe in the Bible occurs in Genesis when Melchizedek, a king and a ‘priest of God Most High,’ offered a sacrifice of bread and wine in thanksgiving for Abraham’s victory over several enemy kings.

“As an offering to God, Abraham gave Melchizedek ‘a tenth of everything.’ (See Genesis 14.) In the Old Testament, the tenth of one’s bounty was customarily given to the priests in their service to God. The Torah (the law of God as revealed to Moses) prescribes the giving of tithes.

“A person offered to God, or ‘tithed,’ one-tenth of the harvest of the grain of the fields or the produce of fruit of the trees, one-tenth of new pressed wine and oil, and every firstborn animal of herd or flock (Leviticus 23 30-33.

“Deuteronomy 12:17. 14:22-29). The Bible book of Numbers also records how God prescribed that the Levites, the priestly class of the Jewish people, were entrusted with these tithes: (Number 18:21-24). Therefore, these tithes were contributions offered to the Lord and distributed to the Levites for their support.

“Payment of tithe, like other donations made in the Catholic Church, is not obligatory. This means that members are not compelled to pay the tithe. It is purely voluntary. Also, Catholics are under no obligation to pay a certain percentage of their income to the church as a tithe.

“In the early history of our church, the priests depended upon the generous support of congregations for their sustenance. This custom was based on the New Testament instruction: Jesus taught the apostles to depend upon charity when He sent them on a mission (see Matthew 10:10). St. Paul also instructed the early Church community to provide for the needs of their priests (I Corinthians 9:13).

“As cited in the Catechism (No. 2043), the precepts of the church maintain that each person has the duty to support the material needs of the church. Of course, a person fulfils this obligation according to his abilities.

“The Christian faithful are obliged to assist with the needs of the Church so that the Church has what is necessary for divine worship, for apostolic works and works of charity, and for the decent sustenance of ministers.

“They are also obliged to promote social justice and, be mindful of the precept of the Lord, to assist the poor from their own resources.”

Re: Catholic Church Speaks On Payment Of Tithe by Dnaz(m): 8:02am On Dec 14, 2017
Rome has spoken
The case is closed
This is the faith of the Church
This is the faith of the fathers
Anathema to those who do otherwise
Re: Catholic Church Speaks On Payment Of Tithe by anaton(m): 8:43am On Dec 14, 2017
The mother church has indeed spoken.
Re: Catholic Church Speaks On Payment Of Tithe by Nobody: 11:46am On Dec 14, 2017
It is voluntary in the Catholic Church as it is in most mainstream Churches.

Most Churches don't predicate Membership upon Tithing. Therefore you can be a member for 20 years and chose not to give.

I have spent 20 years of my life in ECWA. My Grandfather is an Anglican Clergy and I am hoping the Orthodox Churches are doubling down on its message endorsing Tithing.

Already a long serving pastor(decades) in ECWA collects 45,000 Naira per month after tithe deduction probably because many who belief in Tithing were actually not Tithing. What now happens if you allow the nonsense on social media fly.

This so called Anti tithe campaign is being directed at Pentecostals. However, it is Orthodox Churches that would take the First hit because leadership there can be too democratic. Pentecostals on the other hand are centralised theocracies and would be the last to take a hit in finance(that is if they ever take a hit). If anything most Pentecostal members are just irritated by this campaign.
Lalasticlala
Re: Catholic Church Speaks On Payment Of Tithe by Ubenedictus(m): 5:10pm On Dec 14, 2017
Statsocial:
It is voluntary in the Catholic Church as it is in most mainstream Churches.

Most Churches don't predicate Membership upon Tithing. Therefore you can be a member for 20 years and chose not to give.

I have spent 20 years of my life in ECWA. My Grandfather is an Anglican Clergy and I am hoping the Orthodox Churches are doubling down on its message endorsing Tithing.

Already a long serving pastor(decades) in ECWA collects 45,000 Naira per month after tithe deduction probably because many who belief in Tithing were actually not Tithing. What now happens if you allow the nonsense on social media fly.

This so called Anti tithe campaign is being directed at Pentecostals. However, it is Orthodox Churches that would take the First hit because leadership there can be too democratic. Pentecostals on the other hand are centralised theocracies and would be the last to take a hit in finance(that is if they ever take a hit). If anything most Pentecostal members are just irritated by this campaign.
Lalasticlala

the anti tithe campaign will hardly affect Catholics, for centuries they haven't preached tithe yet the Church hasn't died.

give cheerfully from your heart has always been enough for the Church, some gave 1% others 30, others 50, some people sold their entire wealth and gave it to the Church. nobody was stupid enough to claim that it is a divine law of prosperity that one must pay a 10th of his income and support it using old testament laws, that is just a way of conning people of their wealth by claiming it is a debt that must be paid.

3 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Speaks On Payment Of Tithe by Nobody: 8:44pm On Dec 14, 2017
Ubenedictus:

the anti tithe campaign will hardly affect Catholics, for centuries they haven't preached tithe yet the Church hasn't died.

give cheerfully from your heart has always been enough for the Church, some gave 1% others 30, others 50, some people sold their entire wealth and gave it to the Church. nobody was stupid enough to claim that it is a divine law of prosperity that one must pay a 10th of his income and support it using old testament laws, that is just a way of conning people of their wealth by claiming it is a debt that must be paid.
And a man also single handedly built a billion naira church in a pentecostal church, a man single handedly offered to park the Church's jet. They were not paying tithe they were doing it out of their cheerful heart. So you see it is not only the Catholic Church that can survive even without preaching tithe.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Speaks On Payment Of Tithe by Ubenedictus(m): 11:15pm On Dec 14, 2017
Statsocial:
And a man also single handedly built a billion naira church in a pentecostal church, a man single handedly offered to park the Church's jet. They were not paying tithe they were doing it out of their cheerful heart. So you see it is not only the Catholic Church that can survive even without preaching tithe.
if they can survive without it then why are they preaching it with so much guile?

why is one pastor preaching that people who can't pay tithe won't make it to heaven? why have they made it a condition to enter heaven.

the Pentecostal churches brought this shit storm on their own head with their unwholesome tithe emphasis.
Re: Catholic Church Speaks On Payment Of Tithe by Nobody: 1:08am On Dec 15, 2017
Ubenedictus:
if they can survive without it then why are they preaching it with so much guile?

why is one pastor preaching that people who can't pay tithe won't make it to heaven? why have they made it a condition to enter heaven.

the Pentecostal churches brought this shit storm on their own head with their unwholesome tithe emphasis.
I don't judge a message I didn't listen to, I don't just rely on hearsay. If anything negates the Word it can't be adopted. But it doesn't change anything about the relevance of tithing.

When you say Pentecostal churches who do you really think you are referring to. There are thousands of Pentecostals everywhere. Thereby the voice of one isn't the voice of all.
Re: Catholic Church Speaks On Payment Of Tithe by Ubenedictus(m): 9:56am On Dec 15, 2017
Statsocial:

I don't judge a message I didn't listen to, I don't just rely on hearsay. If anything negates the Word it can't be adopted. But it doesn't change anything about the relevance of tithing.

When you say Pentecostal churches who do you really think you are referring to. There are thousands of Pentecostals everywhere. Thereby the voice of one isn't the voice of all.
then read up and hear what the pastors are cursing just to get tithe.

lasting tithing isn't relevant in the new testament, generously giving is what the new testament preach not tithe.
Re: Catholic Church Speaks On Payment Of Tithe by Nobody: 10:00am On Dec 15, 2017
Ubenedictus:
then read up and hear what the pastors are cursing just to get tithe.

lasting tithing isn't relevant in the new testament, generously giving is what the new testament preach not tithe.
Show me the verse where it says DO NOT TITHE in the new testament. If you can't find it then forever hold your peace.
Re: Catholic Church Speaks On Payment Of Tithe by PaChukwudi44(m): 10:09am On Dec 15, 2017
Statsocial:

Show me the verse where it says DO NOT TITHE in the new testament. If you can't find it then forever hold your peace.

what we have in the new testament is the abolishment of the Law which includes tithes.The jewish law has been abolished Jesus.Holding recourse to the law to demand tithes and threaten people with the curse of the law is the most ridiculous teaching in the church today.Look at Oyedepo talking as if God has given him authourity over blessings for all mortals.What effrontery!!!Gosh!!

The curses in questions are in Deuteronomy 28 and it was not restricted to those who didn't pay tithes.The curse of the law affected anyone who broke any provision of the law.In the book of galatians 3:10 Jesus had taken up this curse and ended the law.To threaten someone with this same curse is the height of mischief for any pastor
Re: Catholic Church Speaks On Payment Of Tithe by Ubenedictus(m): 11:23am On Dec 15, 2017
Statsocial:

sorry dear, no one is asked to prove a negative. you guys are the ones claiming tithe the burden of proof is on you.

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Speaks On Payment Of Tithe by Nobody: 11:28am On Dec 15, 2017
Ubenedictus:
sorry dear, no one is asked to prove a negative. you guys are the ones claiming tithe the burden of proof is on you.
Its not on me. All biblical reference to Tithing reveals it should be done. Not one Scripture advises against it. So for you to tell me to stop something recorded in Scripture you must show me proof(preferably from New Testament) or else the Status Quo would be maintained till Jesus comes.
Re: Catholic Church Speaks On Payment Of Tithe by sonofluc1fer: 12:28pm On Dec 15, 2017
Statsocial:

Its not on me. All biblical reference to Tithing reveals it should be done.

I have to admire you hardwork, dedication and perseverance to the cause. I am among a few who believe you are not paid to do this; such faithfulness can only come from one who truly believes.. I commend you.

I just have a question. Could you tell me something this great Generals of God have produced and given to the world. An economic idea, a business one, something that would make their names pop up in a non-Christian discussion?

Have they produced an iphone, internet, software? Have they sent men to mars, built cars or spaceships? Have they even produced a microphone or speakers?

I wanna understand. Cos it seems these men are only useful to believers such as yourself. The 'world' isn't just ideas that exist in your head.

Show where the NT says 'dont pay tithes'?

Show where the NT says 'do not do yahoo yahoo'?

Show where the NT says 'do not prostitute'?

Show where the NT says 'do not question the Man of God'?

Show where the NT says 'build churches every 5kms'?

The Holy Spirit will teach you all things.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Catholic Church Speaks On Payment Of Tithe by PaChukwudi44(m): 12:58pm On Dec 15, 2017
Statsocial:

Its not on me. All biblical reference to Tithing reveals it should be done. Not one Scripture advises against it. So for you to tell me to stop something recorded in Scripture you must show me proof(preferably from New Testament) or else the Status Quo would be maintained till Jesus comes.

bullshit!!!

The same bible asked us to compulsorily celebrate the feat of Passover,unleavened bread,shelters and a host of hundreds jewish laws.How many of them do you practise in your church? I am going to the Pentateuch now to bring out lots of commandments which you will have to prove to me you are still practising
Re: Catholic Church Speaks On Payment Of Tithe by PaChukwudi44(m): 1:01pm On Dec 15, 2017
lets start with the felowish offering in Leviticus Chapter 3

“‘If your offering is a fellowship offering, and you offer an animal from the herd, whether male or female, you are to present before the Lord an animal without defect. 2 You are to lay your hand on the head of your offering and slaughter it at the entrance to the tent of meeting. Then Aaron’s sons the priests shall splash the blood against the sides of the altar. 3 From the fellowship offering you are to bring a food offering to the Lord: the internal organs and all the fat that is connected to them, 4 both kidneys with the fat on them near the loins, and the long lobe of the liver, which you will remove with the kidneys. 5 Then Aaron’s sons are to burn it on the altar on top of the burnt offering that is lying on the burning wood; it is a food offering, an aroma pleasing to the Lord.

6 “‘If you offer an animal from the flock as a fellowship offering to the Lord, you are to offer a male or female without defect. 7 If you offer a lamb, you are to present it before the Lord, 8 lay your hand on its head and slaughter it in front of the tent of meeting. Then Aaron’s sons shall splash its blood against the sides of the altar. 9 From the fellowship offering you are to bring a food offering to the Lord: its fat, the entire fat tail cut off close to the backbone, the internal organs and all the fat that is connected to them, 10 both kidneys with the fat on them near the loins, and the long lobe of the liver, which you will remove with the kidneys. 11 The priest shall burn them on the altar as a food offering presented to the Lord.

12 “‘If your offering is a goat, you are to present it before the Lord, 13 lay your hand on its head and slaughter it in front of the tent of meeting. Then Aaron’s sons shall splash its blood against the sides of the altar. 14 From what you offer you are to present this food offering to the Lord: the internal organs and all the fat that is connected to them, 15 both kidneys with the fat on them near the loins, and the long lobe of the liver, which you will remove with the kidneys. 16 The priest shall burn them on the altar as a food offering, a pleasing aroma. All the fat is the Lord’s.

17 “‘This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come, wherever you live: You must not eat any fat or any blood

@ statsocial
Do you carry out the above commandments in your church? Mind you if you chose to become saved by the law then you are bound to obey all requirements of the law
Re: Catholic Church Speaks On Payment Of Tithe by An2elect2(f): 2:07pm On Dec 15, 2017
As much as I am against the false doctrine of tithing, I don't think the Catholic Church has any spiritual justification to speak on any Christian matter since they are the first to deny the supreme and final authority of the Bible. And keep traditions that are at variance with fundamental truths of Christianity. If people are going to condemn a rot, they should in all its entirety.

Modern Pentecostal Christianity is not biblical and so is Catholicism.
Re: Catholic Church Speaks On Payment Of Tithe by PaChukwudi44(m): 2:11pm On Dec 15, 2017
An2elect2:
As much as I am against the false doctrine of tithing, I don't think the Catholic Church has any spiritual justification to speak on any Christian matter since they are the first to deny the supreme and final authority of the Bible. And keep traditions that are at variance with fundamental truths of Christianity. If people are going to condemn a rot, they should in all its entirety.

Modern Pentecostal Christianity is not biblical and so is Catholicism.

catholic church has never professed sola bible or bible alone because it lacks any scriptural basis.Not even the apostles kept this doctrine as some of them also quoted books outside the canon.The catholic church existed centuries before the Christian canon otherwise called the bible existed.BTW No catholic practise is at variance with the bible
Re: Catholic Church Speaks On Payment Of Tithe by An2elect2(f): 2:27pm On Dec 15, 2017
PaChukwudi44:

catholic church has never professed sola bible or bible alone because it lacks any scriptural basis.Not even the apostles kept this doctrine as some of them also quoted books outside the canon.
No one said you should profess sola scriptura. Even the meaning is often misconstrued. I am saying the Bible should be the final determiner of all doctrines. Traditions like praying to Mary or saints or the use of beads and idols are clearly not biblical and should be shut out.

The catholic church existed centuries before the Christian canon otherwise called the bible existed.BTW No catholic practise is at variance with the bible
This is a blatant lie and heresy. Christianity started in Israel, Catholicism is an offshoot of "distorted" Christianity that started in Rome.

Lol you are joking.

You can't be all against Pentecostalism if you can't remove that big log in your eye.
Re: Catholic Church Speaks On Payment Of Tithe by PaChukwudi44(m): 3:29pm On Dec 15, 2017
No one said you should profess sola scriptura. Even the meaning is often misconstrued. I am saying the Bible should be the final determiner of all doctrines. Traditions like praying to Mary or saints or the use of beads and idols are clearly not biblical and should be shut out.

The saints in heaven praying for those on earth is perfectly biblical as even in the books of the revelations ythe angels and elders presented the prayers of the people on earth before the lamb.About the use of beads in prayer,I am yet to see any scriptural injunction violated by the practise.If you think there is any please do let me know.But never ever tell me "it is not in the bible" because I have clearly told you we do not practise sola bible.Concerning idols, we do not have anything to do with idols in the catholic church.

Revelation 8:3-5King James Version (KJV)

3 And another angel came and stood at the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given unto him much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne.

4 And the smoke of the incense, which came with the prayers

Revelations 5:8
8 And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints

This is a blatant lie and heresy. Christianity started in Israel, Catholicism is an offshoot of "distorted" Christianity that started in Rome.

Lol you are joking.

You can't be all against Pentecostalism if you can't remove that big log in your eye

lol please give me facts of the branch of the Christianity which started in Isreal.where are these Christians today? When exactly dis this "distortion" start
Re: Catholic Church Speaks On Payment Of Tithe by OkCornel(m): 3:35pm On Dec 15, 2017
Tithes again? undecided
Anyone who thinks he or she needs to tithe to access God's blessings is making a mockery of the price Jesus paid on the cross.

If Jesus has fulfilled the law and the temple veil was torn open, why on earth would someone go and cherry pick Mosaic Laws fulfilled by Jesus to start practicing for goodness sake?

Jesus has clearly stated the basis for separating the goats from sheeps in Matthew 25 v 31-46. And I do not see tithing as part of the requirements there.

ANYONE WHO STATES THAT NON-TITHERS ARE GOING TO HELL IS CONTRADICTING THE MESSAGE OF JESUS IN THE PASSAGE I JUST MENTIONED!

Either that person is confused or is hell bent on becoming an anti-christ via ignorance.
Re: Catholic Church Speaks On Payment Of Tithe by AngelJennifer: 11:56am On Jun 28, 2019
Hmm. Christians are indeed confused. I will go with catholic teaching on tithing. Because one should give not under compulsion. Christians can give any percentage. Read the history of tithing in Christendom.

(1) (Reply)

Will The Nigerian Drug Cartels Ever Be Defeated? / What Is The Usefulness Of My Foreseeing Capability? / Jesusjnr Is Under Attack! Does Seun Know About This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.