Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,791 members, 7,806,190 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:44 PM

PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab (41718 Views)

Woman & Lawyer Dad Recreate Childhood Picture With Dad After She's Called To Bar / Young Lady Celebrates Her Barrister Father After Being Called To Bar. Photos / Magistrate Denies A Muslim Counsel Audience For Wearing Hijab (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by Nobody: 10:49am On Dec 15, 2017
The poor girl ain't normal
NLanders tell me how will your brain boot and function properly if you SLAM IT on the ground 5 times everyday
She can go to IRAQI LAW SCHOOL..........they permit hijab, I guess angry

2 Likes

Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by enemyofprogress: 10:52am On Dec 15, 2017
Diamondamsel:

Atrocities like....? I don't know your qualms, it's just an headcover, a piece of clothing. Anyone who wants to could have use any piece of clothing, but so you can have something to insult, they use hijab.
I need not answer your question. You know as well as we do that your people including married women use their hijabs to commit atrocities EOD

2 Likes

Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by colby92(m): 10:55am On Dec 15, 2017
Is she the first female muslim to be called to bar? Why can't she comply with the ethics of her chosen profession? Why am i even disturbing myself, is this one news! Mtchew

2 Likes

Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by newslifeop: 10:55am On Dec 15, 2017
Oh
Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by Diamondamsel(f): 10:56am On Dec 15, 2017
Lordspenzo:

This is what worries me, some muslims no matter their level of education thinks boko haram and other terrorist activities are politically sponsored, they don't see anything wrong with their religion of peace..
Yes I'd say that over n over again. My religion never preaches that. Or have you ever heard of such in the southwest. The way you guys relate with what you hate baffles me. You did not see anything wrong in Israeli bombing Palestinians, America bombing Iraq and so on. If boko haram are killing, they are on there own. If it's right to kill unlawfully, then all Muslims will be on a killing spree.
Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by Diamondamsel(f): 11:08am On Dec 15, 2017
enemyofprogress:
I need not answer your question. You know as well as we do that your people including married women use their hijabs to commit atrocities EOD

If your atrocities means those committing adultery, we'll hijab doesn't state how pure you're, I repeat, its a piece of clothing. People naturally expect you that you're covering yourself to respectthe covering and not commit sins but as we all know we are human, and we'll always commit sins. Using hijab doesn't mean you're pure or special. It's your actions as regard that covering that would make you pure
Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by idfranco43(m): 11:24am On Dec 15, 2017
This Lady Firdausa studied law for at 5 years and went to Law School for a year! It’s either she didn’t learn anything in Law school, or she let her perception of religion cloud her judgement!

2 Likes

Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by encrypt(m): 11:30am On Dec 15, 2017
Sterope:
You have got too much emotions, man

1) She is not the only Muslim lady to be called to bar doesn't mean she is holier or that she can't fight for her right or on behalf of those who were too chicken to insist on using the hijab.

2) The wig doesn't cover the entire head and neck. Also, you don't wear the wig to the ceremony.

3) The nature of the legal profession conflicts with a number of things but not the hijab. I reasonably can't see how professionalism would be affected.

I don't know any Muslim lady who would ordinarily wear the hijab or scarve

Emotions?? Perhaps you added your own emotions when reading my post. That said who said the others were too chicken?? Perhaps they recognized that this was unnecessary. It's just like fanatical Christians who believe a lady should not wear trousers and want to thus wear skirt in camp. It is not done!
The wig comment was based on her image that was displayed.
Regarding the conflict what i meant is do your due diligence...you can't opt for medicine and decide not to treat male patients because you may be exposed to their unclad bodies.
The question i have for her is this " if she was an engineer at site and hard to wear a hard hat without the hijab for safety reasons would she refuse?
And lastly all of the noise makers are lawyers right?? Why isn't anybody being sued?? Deep down you know the case lacks merit! I don't need to study law to know that.

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by enemyofprogress: 11:35am On Dec 15, 2017
Diamondamsel:

If your atrocities means those committing adultery, we'll hijab doesn't state how pure you're, I repeat, its a piece of clothing. People naturally expect you that you're covering yourself to respectthe covering and not commit sins but as we all know we are human, and we'll always commit sins. Using hijab doesn't mean you're pure or special. It's your actions as regard that covering that would make you pure
abeg leave me I wan fok one of your girls

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by sleazy5(m): 11:39am On Dec 15, 2017
I just have to express my disappointment here. The issue of wearing Hijabs in public especially as it affects the Muslim lady who was denied her being called to the Nigerian Bar, has generated lots of comments from the public. A thread was created on the POSITION OF THE LAW as it affects the wearing of hijabs by Muslim faithfuls - https://www.nairaland.com/4234741/position-law-use-hijab-veil

Now the views expressed on that thread were one as it relates to law and the public, and not only the law as it relates to Muslim faithfuls. To my dismay, when i clicked on the reply button, i was referred to a page asking me if I am a Muslim and if yes, certain declarations will be posted on my profile. Since I am not a Muslim, I clicked 'No', and to my surprise I was not allowed to comment.

Now, this is very wrong and will send the wrong signal to other Nairalanders. If the thread was meant for only Muslim faithfuls, it should have stated so. Not for a public post to be made and comments only restricted to Muslim faithfuls.
The Mods should better do something asap about this.

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by Codes151(m): 11:44am On Dec 15, 2017
She’s foolish

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by Antina(f): 11:45am On Dec 15, 2017
Nairalanddist:

Lies upon lies. Was Adolf Hitler a muslim? He committed the greatest mass murder in the world. Steven paddock that shot people recently in the USA was a Christian. Jesus Christ did not preach peace, Islam did. The west are only trying to dent image of Muslims.

They didn't know all these because of their bigotry attitude, either they like it or not! Islam has come to stay.

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by Sterope(f): 11:51am On Dec 15, 2017
Are you speaking for us now? I was a chicken like many others. It wasn't unnecessary. It is very necessary. I commend her for it. Although we were too much of a coward, we will stand by her. It is about time their bigotry blows up in their faces.

You are getting more irrational with your examples, they don't apply to the issue at hand. Hijab does not mean that she cannot deal with male clients. It does not affect professionalism whatsoever. If it can be proven it will affect her SAFETY, it would either be removed or she will excuse herself.

The case has merit. There are Nigerian case laws as well as other persuasive case laws. If you don't like the hijab, your personal problem, don't make it our problem.

encrypt:

Emotions?? Perhaps you added your own emotions when reading my post. That said who said the others were too chicken?? Perhaps they recognized that this was unnecessary. It's just like fanatical Christians who believe a lady should not wear trousers and want to thus wear skirt in camp. It is not done!
The wig comment was based on her image that was displayed.
Regarding the conflict what i meant is do your due diligence...you can't opt for medicine and decide not to treat male patients because you may be exposed to their unclad bodies.
The question i have for her is this " if she was an engineer at site and hard to wear a hard hat without the hijab for safety reasons would she refuse?
And lastly all of the noise makers are lawyers right?? Why isn't anybody being sued?? Deep down you know the case lacks merit! I don't need to study law to know that.

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by encrypt(m): 12:04pm On Dec 15, 2017
Sterope:
Are you speaking for us now? I was a chicken like many others. It wasn't unnecessary. It is very necessary. I commend her for it. Although we were too much of a coward, we will stand by her. It is about time their bigotry blows up in their faces.

You are getting more irrational with your examples, they don't apply to the issue at hand. Hijab does not mean that she cannot deal with male clients. It does not affect professionalism whatsoever. If it can be proven it will affect her SAFETY, it would either be removed or she will excuse herself.

The case has merit. There are Nigerian case laws as well as other persuasive case laws. If you don't like the hijab, your personal problem, don't make it our problem.

I don't have a problem with the hijab.
Where your right to wear the hijab ends is where my right to dictate an acceptable dress code begins. If you are so sure of the merit of the case go to court!! Isn't that what you trained all these past years for? Quit whining and go to court!
Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by idfranco43(m): 12:06pm On Dec 15, 2017
Mak una give her the attention she dey find Oooooooooooooo Abeg

Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by StKizitoOfPadua: 12:09pm On Dec 15, 2017
Justice Aloma Mariam Muktar was a Staunch Muslim woman.

In her reign as the Chief Justice of the Federation, she would have been adorning the Hijab while at official legal functions like court sessions if she knew it was right.

The thing is she was well educated in the ethics of the LAW profession.

Don't understand why you guys always wanna create mischief.

If the practicing LAW without Hijab is Haram, encourage your adherents to leave it and not practice abeg.

No waste person time with your needles ranting.

Ordinary grade Lawyer wey wan form sabi sabi.

2 Likes

Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by robosky02(m): 12:24pm On Dec 15, 2017
The LAW is simple above all
Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by Nobody: 12:26pm On Dec 15, 2017
What would it cost the bar aspirant to be without her hijab for just 2 hours rather than been denied the opportunity of being called to bar. even after been counseled by a high ranking Muslim lecturer. What a shame..so is she going to stick to her petty stand and miss been called again next year.? Who rebels against the Nigerian Law school and wins? President Buhari’s daughter was called to Bar sometimes last year and she wasn’t wearing hijab.
Where is Kayode Bello now? It is high time our youngsters learn when it is appropriate and effective to question authority.
If you are in Rome then do as the Romans or ship out.
My two cents

Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by emecheboy2(m): 12:41pm On Dec 15, 2017
Even sultan of sokoto daughter did not wear hijab when she graduated in UK. You guys just want everything to go your way and favour. Learn to always abide by the rules.
Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by birdsview(m): 12:42pm On Dec 15, 2017
Stupid Girl..it's your loss
Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by Sterope(f): 12:45pm On Dec 15, 2017
What are you trying to say? Who the hell are you to dictate what is acceptable in a multicultural and multireligous society especially where it does not affect any thing or anyone? I really do not need your tears right now

encrypt:

I don't have a problem with the hijab.
Where your right to wear the hijab ends is where my right to dictate an acceptable dress code begins. [/b]

An issue doesn't need to be in court before it is discussed. Something shall be done about it, that, we are very sure of. grin

If you are so sure of the merit of the case go to court!! Isn't that what you trained all these past years for? Quit whining and go to court!
[/quote]

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by ImaIma1(f): 12:50pm On Dec 15, 2017
Hijab that she will remove when she goes to her boyfriend's house without protesting.

Or will she use the hijab to capture for international passport?

Let her go and protest in these places first.
Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by Jelal0007(m): 1:01pm On Dec 15, 2017
Temidayo9:
I think it all about sanity in the law profession....
There re lay down rules on dress code.
what sanity is there? Why are Nigerian lawyers still wearing wigs sef? Is that what's obtainable in the developed world? Do u know in the developed world, muslim women can wear hijabs even in the police service and the military? What archaic rules are those denying someone from exercising her fundamental human rights? Nas o naija lawyers and yet,there's so much corruption in the country.
Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by nkemjacob2(m): 1:03pm On Dec 15, 2017
Religion happens to be the major problem in dis country
Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by Jelal0007(m): 1:07pm On Dec 15, 2017
Alcatraz005:

The message even a ruse! Who would ban a Muslim from being called to bar under Buhari?

The Muslims are firmly in control for now so I don’t see the possibility of this happening. This is another ploy to inflame tension and sentiment amongst our Muslim population. Soon MURIC will start threatening everybody by writing meaningless articles.

All Nigerians should ignore this rubbish message meant to rile some people up.
Stop talking ignorantly with so much confidence. What muslims are firmly in control? Do u work for the ministry of justice or the chief judge of nigeria? What fact do u have to debunk this claim? U senseless bigot. This is how we focus more on trivial issues,and people like you are art of the major issues we have in Nigeria.
Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by Jelal0007(m): 1:16pm On Dec 15, 2017
Deicide:
Why do you think people "hate" islam? do you know how many lifes had been lost to your brothers around the world? and here you are asking a stupid question Mtchew
And what moral right do u as a christian have to accuse muslims/islam of violence? It shows how ignorant u are of the faith u follow. BIGOT.
Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by encrypt(m): 1:19pm On Dec 15, 2017
Sterope:
What are you trying to say? Who the hell are you to dictate what is acceptable in a multicultural and multireligous society especially where it does not affect any thing or anyone? I really do not need your tears right now

An issue doesn't need to be in court before it is discussed. Something shall be done about it, that, we are very sure of. grin

We could do this dance all day but like i said go and make the noise in court!
Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by pimper24: 1:30pm On Dec 15, 2017
It's all about dress code. There's nothing "religious"
In the decision.
post=63274039:
A Muslim lady was denied being called to the Nigerian bar for wearing a Hijab!

Here’s what fellow lawyer @savvy_ruqqy wrote;

Good morning everyone,
I want to use this medium to express my dissatisfaction with the way muslims are treated in this my profession called ‘LAW’. A sister wasn’t called to the bar because she was dressed like that (Picture above) please for God sake what is wrong with that picture? Because she was putting on a small hijab tucked into her collarette, WHY?
What has Hijab done to them?
Where is our freedom of Religion as stated in the constitution?
We need justice…For those that don’t know, Hijab is a MANDATORY part of my religion not just a piece of clothing, so if my freedom of religion is said to have been guaranteed in section 38 of the constitution of my country that is said to be supreme and have have binding force over all as seen in section 1 of this same constitution and Section 42 of this same constitution guarantees my right to freedom from discrimination, please for God sake what is this then and before you come here attack me, please read section 38 (1) and section 1 (1) first and also go ahead to read S1 (3) of this same constitution with an unbiased mind where it is said that if any other law is inconsistent with the provisions of this constitution this constitution shall prevail…B’iko what are we now talking about?
Please we want justice.
We want our hijab
we want #JusticeForFirdaus
We want to wear our hijabs for call to bar
we want to wear it in the court room.
Stop the discrimination
We are muslims not terrorists
Hijab is Mandatory
We want Justice for Firdaus

http://www.newshelmng.com/2017/12/photo-muslim-lady-denied-being-called.html

cc lalasticlala mynd44
Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by chyegems(f): 1:35pm On Dec 15, 2017
adeblow:
The hijab is not really showing, this is wrong
her ears are covered with the hijab. Its against d dress code.
Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by Diamondamsel(f): 2:07pm On Dec 15, 2017
enemyofprogress:
abeg leave me I wan fok one of your girls
And your *beautiful* religion permits that..... All the best
Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by Deicide: 2:07pm On Dec 15, 2017
Jelal0007:
And what moral right do u as a christian have to accuse muslims/islam of violence? It shows how ignorant u are of the faith u follow. BIGOT.
slowpoke am not a xtian tongue
Re: PHOTO: Muslim Lady Denied Being Called To The Nigerian Bar For Wearing Hijab by Joenike: 2:21pm On Dec 15, 2017
Nairalanddist:

Why do u hate Islam

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

NAF Decorates Kafayat Sanni & Tolulope Arotile As Female Combatant Pilots / 8 Categories Of Occupation People Do That Brings Forth Insult From The Society / Top 14 Nigerian Innovators To Watch Out For.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.