Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,778 members, 7,806,153 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:10 PM

Only 40m Nigerians Pay Taxes – Kemi Adeosun - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Only 40m Nigerians Pay Taxes – Kemi Adeosun (610 Views)

Buhari Speaks On Saying ‘40m Nigerians Are Mad’ / Resignation: Buhari Told Kemi Adeosun To Go ‘Few Weeks Ago’ - Sahara Reporters / Kemi Adeosun Resigns Over NYSC Certificate Scandal - Daily Trust (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Only 40m Nigerians Pay Taxes – Kemi Adeosun by voiceoftheupcom: 4:24am On Dec 15, 2017
ONLY 40M NIGERIANS PAY TAXES – KEMI ADEOSUN
source: http://www.eyesoflagos.com/2017/12/only-40m-nigerians-pay-taxes-kemi.html

Out of 70 million taxable adults in Nigeria, only 40 million of them pay taxes, the Minister of Finance, Kemi Adeosun, has said that out of 70 million taxable adults in Nigeria, only 40 million of them pay taxes.
Adeosun spoke at the first annual lecture of the Lagos State Professorial Chair of Tax and Fiscal Matters held at the Ade-Ajayi Auditorium of the University of Lagos.
Adeosun who chaired the lecture, said about 13 per cent of the active tax payers have their taxes deducted at source under the Pay as You Earn (PAYE) category.
She said tax policies cannot be rigid and needed regular reviews so that many more of the 30 million defaulters pay their taxes.
“I have kept asking why the 30 million people have refused to pay taxes. Another major challenge is the fact that many Nigerians have other sources of income, yet they are only taxed only through the PAYE. Yet, they earn so much from part-time jobs, and extra businesses.”
Eyes Of Lagos gathered that, According to the minister, new tax policies in the country must capture online businesses, entrepreneurship and others such as the film industry, otherwise regarded as nollywood.
Mrs. Adeosun, who reiterated the importance of taxation to national development, noted that every developed country has a well developed tax policy and that Nigeria cannot be an exception.
In his lecture titled: “Policy, Legal and Administrative Imperatives in the Quest for Eradicating Multiplicity of Taxes (MOT) in Lagos State” Prof Abiola Sanni of the UNILAG Law Faculty, lamented the intractable nature of “the phenomenon called multiplicity of taxes in Nigeria despite the effort aimed at addressing it and need to consider fresh interventions from the dimension of tax policy.”
Sanni said Lagos State had nine tax laws from which the government gets income but a review revealed that only three of them – hotel occupancy and restaurant law, land fees and land use charge, and wharf landing fees law are currently been administered in the state.
He further said the Federal Government should admit that an important aspect of Value Added Tax (VAT) on intra-state supply of goods and services was within the taxing powers of states and should be allowed to use it.

Re: Only 40m Nigerians Pay Taxes – Kemi Adeosun by jeffizy(m): 4:31am On Dec 15, 2017
When the government decides to utilize the taxes for it's citizens welfare, then they have the right to complain about non payment of tax.

Mind you, the tax collected on a daily basis by the banks is my own contribution.
So, if bank X pays you tax, take it as my own contribution.
Re: Only 40m Nigerians Pay Taxes – Kemi Adeosun by tit(f): 4:35am On Dec 15, 2017
Is that not enough?
Someborri should give this ugly smellin pussy woman igbo to smoke
Re: Only 40m Nigerians Pay Taxes – Kemi Adeosun by tsdarkside(m): 4:41am On Dec 15, 2017
jeffizy:
When the government decides to utilize the taxes for it's citizens welfare, then they have the right to complain about non payment of tax.

Mind you, the tax collected on a daily basis by the banks is my own contribution.
So, if bank X pays you tax, take it as my own contribution.

you are a ole....ofcourse what you wrote make sense only to you...
Re: Only 40m Nigerians Pay Taxes – Kemi Adeosun by tsdarkside(m): 4:43am On Dec 15, 2017
tit:
Is that not enough?
Someborri should give this ugly smellin pussy woman igbo to smoke

another ole...una suppossed to be put in jail.....

1 Like

Re: Only 40m Nigerians Pay Taxes – Kemi Adeosun by crackerspub: 4:43am On Dec 15, 2017
Which one be eyes of Lagos dot com undecided undecided

Bloggers undecided
Re: Only 40m Nigerians Pay Taxes – Kemi Adeosun by jeffizy(m): 4:44am On Dec 15, 2017
tsdarkside:

you are a ole....ofcourse what you wrote make sense only to you...

Who's this one?
Re: Only 40m Nigerians Pay Taxes – Kemi Adeosun by ArcFresky(m): 4:44am On Dec 15, 2017
You mean,
You want all of us to pay taxes so you and others can keep
Getting huge salaries
Riding private jets
Sending your kids abroad
Going on medical tourism
Buying homes abroad
Smh.... payeerr nii

1 Like

Re: Only 40m Nigerians Pay Taxes – Kemi Adeosun by python1: 4:47am On Dec 15, 2017
All Nigerians pay tax. Even this data I'm using is taxed. So, adeosun, I disagree with you. undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Only 40m Nigerians Pay Taxes – Kemi Adeosun by Izonpikin: 5:42am On Dec 15, 2017
And what have you used those taxes for To buy new hair...
Re: Only 40m Nigerians Pay Taxes – Kemi Adeosun by ckmayoca: 5:51am On Dec 15, 2017
so how about the federal workers that pays tax and still have to pay state hug amount before they can get a tax clearance ? .
Re: Only 40m Nigerians Pay Taxes – Kemi Adeosun by Jesusloveyou: 5:54am On Dec 15, 2017
40m?
That is a welcome development by jubrin government.
In the past, nobody pay tax. And those that managed to pay, will not pay completely and also end up in government official pocket.

Jubrin government is working.
Change must come.
Re: Only 40m Nigerians Pay Taxes – Kemi Adeosun by pointstores(m): 6:03am On Dec 15, 2017
What is the government doing for the people question
Re: Only 40m Nigerians Pay Taxes – Kemi Adeosun by emmie14: 6:16am On Dec 15, 2017
How many Nigerians are employed. Do you pay taxes unemployed? How many jobs have your government created in 3years? Come collect tax. Rubbish
Re: Only 40m Nigerians Pay Taxes – Kemi Adeosun by Nobody: 6:21am On Dec 15, 2017
Are we to pay unemployment tax too??

NO WONDER MORE PEOPLE ARE JOINING MY SIGNATURE MORE
Re: Only 40m Nigerians Pay Taxes – Kemi Adeosun by ultron12345: 6:53am On Dec 15, 2017
don't mind them.....Nigerians want the country to be like america and Europe but don't want to make d sacrifices the Americans and Europeans made, they are quick to compare Nigeria with Europe and america but fail to remember that they pay tax while u don't..........the government has tried enough, subsidizing almost everything, from education to healthcare for people who pay almost no tax......it either tax is paid or the country remains as it is.

Until taxes are raised and enforced or Nigerians are made to pay the real cost of education, our education sector won't improve.

Until taxes are raised and enforced or Nigerians are made to pay the real cost of healthcare, our healthcare system won't improve.

Until taxes are raised and enforced and Nigerians are made to pay tolls on the road, road infrastructure won't improve. Even Almighty U.S has toll gates

The reason why Lagos is progressing faster than Nigeria is because they have more efficient tax system than Nigeria.

I know most Nigerians won't like what I typed because they don't like d bitter truth.
Re: Only 40m Nigerians Pay Taxes – Kemi Adeosun by alterego17: 2:15pm On Dec 19, 2017
Bitcoin1000:
Are we to pay unemployment tax too??

NO WONDER MORE PEOPLE ARE JOINING MY SIGNATURE MORE

Ur signature bitclubext.com is scam...I will create a thread nn expose u very soon
Re: Only 40m Nigerians Pay Taxes – Kemi Adeosun by Nobody: 5:12pm On Dec 19, 2017
ultron12345:
don't mind them......

Are you trying to be wise or you are just plain stupid?

Didn't you read where she said 40million Nigerians do pay tax or you just can't comprehend?

How many Nigerians are taxable in the first place? Nigerians do pay taxes. I pay so does my colleagues. What have the government done with the 40million people that do pay? You sound so daft by saying Nigerians want a good governance by proxy.

We do pay tax... the government should stand up and do what is right
Re: Only 40m Nigerians Pay Taxes – Kemi Adeosun by ultron12345: 8:04pm On Dec 19, 2017
Gentle2015:

Are you trying to be wise or you are just plain stupid?

Didn't you read where she said 40million Nigerians do pay tax or you just can't comprehend?

How many Nigerians are taxable in the first place? Nigerians do pay taxes. I pay so does my colleagues. What have the government done with the 40million people that do pay? You sound so daft by saying Nigerians want a good governance by proxy.

We do pay tax... the government should stand up and do what is right
so tax from 40 million pple should be used to cater for 200 million pple abi........u had better go and buy sense
Re: Only 40m Nigerians Pay Taxes – Kemi Adeosun by ultron12345: 9:40pm On Dec 19, 2017
Gentle2015:

Now... no doubt. You are plain stupid.

So, Nigeria now depend on tax, right?
So, the 30million who didnt pay who plunged the country into recession, right?

Please lets put this to rest
so u are nw trying to blame d recession on buhari abi........u are just so foolish
Re: Only 40m Nigerians Pay Taxes – Kemi Adeosun by Nobody: 9:46pm On Dec 19, 2017
I assure out of that 40m, 25 million are SE AND SS, and the remaining 5 North Central, other 5 multinationals. Afonjas and North are blood suckers.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

EFCC Arrests Estate Agent Who Helped Diezani Alison-madueke Buy Properties In UK / EFCC Debunks Gtbank’s Involvement In Innoson Boss Arrest / Failed, Accurate Prophecies Of 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.