Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,330 members, 7,780,864 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:08 AM

Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says (10432 Views)

Bayelsa Election: Falana Says Supreme Court Is Wrong, Lacks Jurisdiction / Gender Inequality In Nigerian Politics (1999 Vs 2015 Vs 2019) / "APC Can't Remove Saraki Without Two-Third Majority" - Falana Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says by BeeBeeOoh(m): 4:57am On Dec 15, 2017
....Says FG must pay ransom for kidnapped Nigerians

Victor Ogunje in Ado Ekiti

Lagos lawyer, Mr. Femi Falana, has said President Muhammdu Buhari’s medical treatment abroad constituted a gross abuse of the rights of the less-privileged and underscored the pervasive inequality among Nigerian citizens

Falana, who however, said the president deserves the best treatment to sustain his mental ability and competence, posited that it constituted an abuse of rights and class differences, if such privilege can’t be enjoyed by other Nigerians.

The lawyer was of the opinion that the federal government should henceforth pay the ransom demanded by kidnappers for any kidnapped Nigerian, saying “the responsibility of government is to protect our lives and property.

“Let me say, if I am kidnapped today and I pay ransom to secure my freedom, I will surely take FG to court to refund my money because it is the responsibility of government to secure my life,” he said.

He said it sounded so unfathomable that the president and other top Nigerians like the late Vice President, Dr Alex Ekwueme could be hurriedly flown abroad for medical treatments while Nigerian hospitals were being ill-equipped thereby causing death of poor Nigerians who suffer lesser afflictions.

The lawyer spoke on Thursday at Afe Babalola University, Ado Ekiti during the launching of a book entitled: ‘Financing Universal Health Coverage in Nigeria’ written by Dr Olaofe Ogundipe.

Falana, who presented a lecture titled: ‘The Justiceability of Health

As a Human Right’, said Section 17 of the constitution and National Health Act 2014 made it a matter of imperative for government to foot the medical bills of poor Nigerians, regretting that these are not being implemented.

The human rights activist added that the level of ignorance among Nigerians are still very high and this he said accounted for why vast majority of them don’t take governments to courts on issues of abuses of rights.

“In the last couple of years, President Buhari has been flown abroad for medical treatment at public expense . In the same vein, the

federal government recently announced that it would pick up the medical bills of the late former Vice President, Dr. Alex Ekwueme in a London hospital.

“While the nation’s leaders deserve the best medical treatment for the preservation of their lives, it is our submission that the federal government must bear the medical bills of all citizens without discrimination.

“This submission is anchored on Section 42 of the constitution which

has guaranteed the fundamental right of every citizen to freedom from discrimination in a manner that no citizen shall be accorded any special advantage over and above others.

“While it is correct to state that section 17(3) of the constitution which has imposed a duty on state to ensure that there are adequate

medical and health facilities for all persons is not justiceable, it is submitted that the fundamental right to health which is inseparable to the right to life is enforceable,” he said.

Falana urged the federal government to ensure the effectiveness of the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) by making it affordable for every citizen.

“Instead of the healthcare providers to do the right thing, they were only using the opportunity to cheat the subscribers by giving them undeserving patronage for them to make more money,” he alleged.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/12/15/falana-buharis-overseas-medicare-confirms-inequality-in-nigeria/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says by crackerspub: 5:04am On Dec 15, 2017
The human rights activist added that the level of ignorance among Nigerians are still very high and this he said accounted for why vast majority of them don’t take governments to courts on issues of abuses of rights.

If only the poor masses know how much they spent BUBu

Nigerian youth that is as confused and clueless as APC

The same youths that come on Nairaland and started Igbo vs Afonja

As for the die-hard BMC, its only deliverance that will save you guys.

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says by mbaboy(m): 5:28am On Dec 15, 2017
Falana eyes don de open small small, the northern hegemony over him is gradually fading away

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says by charleff512(m): 5:29am On Dec 15, 2017
When This Learned Fellow Do Less Of Rhetorics And Mandate his Chambers To Start Educating The Masses On Their Rights As Citizen Then We Will Take Him Serious As An Advocate Of The Masses.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says by princeade86(m): 5:55am On Dec 15, 2017
buh u once sued fg, and dropped the charges. Why?

6 Likes

Re: Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says by princeade86(m): 5:58am On Dec 15, 2017
there is no single activist again in this country. All of them are attentions seeker. Starting frm labour congress down to bring back our girls. If they gv them post or money, u wunt hear their voice again.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says by orisa37: 6:06am On Dec 15, 2017
There-is-Inequality-in-every-facet-of-life-in-nigeria. Because the North West uses Politics as a Tool to forment trouble and inequality. FF is right.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says by Nobody: 6:13am On Dec 15, 2017
Buhari id cow
... My signature tho

2 Likes

Re: Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says by unohbethel(m): 6:14am On Dec 15, 2017
i dont read the article cos all i know is that buhari is a dullard that must be chased out of aso rock.

7 Likes

Re: Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says by Nutase: 6:38am On Dec 15, 2017
lol. writing booooohari do unable self? is it offence to be president of Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says by Omexonomy: 6:58am On Dec 15, 2017
The relooted property he bought from mugu how far.
Attacking bubu so that people will see him like saint

6 Likes

Re: Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says by verygudbadguy(m): 9:33am On Dec 15, 2017
mbaboy:
Falana eyes don de open small small, the northern hegemony over him is gradually fading away
Falana has never been one sided. He talks for/against the PDP and APC. People only react when he speaks in favour of the president.

OP, all animals are equals but some animals are more equal- Animal Farm.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says by Nobody: 9:34am On Dec 15, 2017
Falana has obtained wailer's card grin grin grin

"Let me say, if I am kidnapped today and I pay ransom to secure my freedom, I will surely take FG to court to refund my money because it is the responsibility of government to secure my life,” he said.

- Typical thinking of most SWeners grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says by AnodaIT(m): 9:36am On Dec 15, 2017

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says by anonimi: 9:36am On Dec 15, 2017
mbaboy:

Why not if not
Baba Falz cannot be an All Poverty Congress, APC zombie forever na.

2016 Budget: Buhari to spend more on State House Clinic than on all federal teaching hospitals
February 2, 2016

More from: http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/197827-2016-budget-buhari-to-spend-more-on-state-house-clinic-than-on-all-federal-teaching-hospitals.html

Drug scarcity hits Aso Rock clinic despite N3.87bn budget
August 18, 2016

More from: http://punchng.com/drug-scarcity-hits-aso-rock-clinic-despite-n3-87bn-budget/

Muhammadu Buhari under fire for seeking medical treatment in UK
7 June 2016

More from: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/07/muhammadu-buhari-nigeria-ear-infection-medical-treatment-uk

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says by Uyi168: 9:36am On Dec 15, 2017
charleff512:
When This Learned Fellow Do Less Of Rhetorics And Mandate his Chambers To Start Educating The Masses On Their Rights As Citizen Then We Will Take Him Serious As An Advocate Of The Masses.
..True talk my brother..
Re: Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says by AishaBuhari: 9:37am On Dec 15, 2017
Lol, the obvious truth

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says by Nobody: 9:37am On Dec 15, 2017
some pple whose parents have died cos of poor health care or those who will still die in those gen hospitals go still support am. smh

3 Likes

Re: Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says by Etuagievin(m): 9:38am On Dec 15, 2017
Hhmn! Journeyman
Re: Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says by frankyychiji(f): 9:38am On Dec 15, 2017
BMC be like Falana is looking for appointment grin

4 Likes

Re: Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says by rozayx5(m): 9:38am On Dec 15, 2017
undecided

buhari is the classic definition of a hypocrite

from forming broke while his children school in the UK

to pretending to be an anti corruption crusader with corrupt people around him

i still be believe Yar Adua was the best president we never had for long

not this blood thirsty bigot in Aso Rock

3 Likes

Re: Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says by Jamiubond009(m): 9:39am On Dec 15, 2017
K
Re: Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says by rawtouch: 9:39am On Dec 15, 2017
angry
Re: Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says by saintade01(m): 9:39am On Dec 15, 2017
Lobatan

Re: Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says by toyejohnson(m): 9:39am On Dec 15, 2017
Keneking:
Falana has obtained wailer's card grin grin grin

"Let me say, if I am kidnapped today and I pay ransom to secure my freedom, I will surely take FG to court to refund my money because it is the responsibility of government to secure my life,” he said.

- Typical thinking of most SWeners grin grin grin
The shallow irrational thinking of sycophantic youths like you is the reason why the country will continue to languish in nothingness and our collective future will remain uncertain. Shame on you!

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says by Desyner: 9:40am On Dec 15, 2017
They will tag the messenger a tinubu boy out to undermine buhari's flawless efforts.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says by Lexusgs430: 9:41am On Dec 15, 2017
Falz would pay the ransom, not FG .......
Re: Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says by anonimi: 9:41am On Dec 15, 2017
princeade86:
there is no single activist again in this country. All of them are attentions seeker. Starting frm labour congress down to bring back our girls. If they gv them post or money, u wunt hear their voice again.

That is how SOME of them are, if not most of them.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4222476_screenshot20160911081825_pnga079f323856f9c10f5d1f4a856757173

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4264005_hadiza_jpegfae1d2eb192a7fb01a462348e07c3adc

4 Likes

Re: Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says by khadaffi(m): 9:41am On Dec 15, 2017
Is falana still in Nigeria. How many Nigerians can afford the fees of a lawyer to sue a govt to court?
Re: Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says by Nobody: 9:44am On Dec 15, 2017
The era would come when Churches would take over the health sector in a massive way. The Govt is just too useless to be left to do anything alone let alone something so important as Health Care.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Overseas Medicare Shows Inequality In Nigeria - Falana Says by BruncleZuma: 9:46am On Dec 15, 2017
Are you serious or are you just noticing it?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Video Of President Buhari Visit To Benue Over The Recent Killings In The State / "No More Amnesty For Cultists" - Wike / 55 Party Chairmen Reject PDP Call For Mahmood Yakubu's Resignation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.