Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,700 members, 7,805,885 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:56 AM

What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? (12919 Views)

Boyfriend/Girlfriend Relationship, Also Known As Dating: Is It Right Or Wrong? / House On The Rock Communion Day Outfits: Right Or Wrong? (Pics) / Church Using POS To Collect Tithes And Offerings. Right Or Wrong? (Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by erico2k2(m): 10:41am On Dec 17, 2017
2horsePOWER:
Are there any religious backing?
is it even right?
why spend so much money?
Yes, it is certain everybody will die, death is sure
but is death really worth celebrating
Lately,I have been thinking if thr's really the need for it.
Why not just drop the dead 6ft underground and thats it! everybody leave for their home.
Instead of disturbing the dead with so much noise.

What are your views?
Its a personal decision, If you have it spend it, after all We celibrate Good/bad weather in the west ie Summer and winter festival.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by Freethought(m): 10:42am On Dec 17, 2017
aaronson:
Left to me, there are many ceremonies that are so worthless of celebrating, celebration such as Burial, Naming Ceremony, Christmas, Birthday, babyshower, bridal shower, Bachelors eve and remembrance.

They don't make no single sense.

You sound like a jehova witness. I agree with all but naming ceremony dou
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 10:46am On Dec 17, 2017
To me, it doesn't make any sense.
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 10:47am On Dec 17, 2017
2horsePOWER:
is it even right?
why spend so much money?
Why not just drop the dead 6ft underground and thats it! everybody leave for their home.

What are your views?
Its a waste of money.

There are places in Africa where the mourners come to take everything that the dead left for the family, eat everything that can be eaten and leave the family even more destitute.

They are not biblical. God had nothing good to say about dead bodies in the laws of moses.

But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.
Matthew:8:22
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by infoservant: 10:48am On Dec 17, 2017
its a complete waste of time, its good to invest money on profitable businesses.

If you need profitable business ideas you can invest, check the blog on my signature/profile.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by kaycee125: 10:49am On Dec 17, 2017
It is very important, it is a celebration of life well spent, especially if the person birthed successful children
2horsePOWER:
is it even right?
why spend so much money?

What are your views?
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by dingbang(m): 10:50am On Dec 17, 2017
Spend money...
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by horia: 10:58am On Dec 17, 2017
aaronson:
Left to me, there are many ceremonies that are so worthless of celebrating, celebration such as Burial, Naming Ceremony, Christmas, Birthday, babyshower, bridal shower, Bachelors eve and remembrance.

JW spotted! grin
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 10:59am On Dec 17, 2017
it all went wrong when we believed everything must be groove! its simply "funeral" and not ceremony!
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by Olabenjamen22(m): 11:09am On Dec 17, 2017
Bari22:

This is why I love muslims

So Muslim don't celebrate burial?

What is this one saying
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by Dindondin(m): 11:15am On Dec 17, 2017
aaronson:

name the events we should be celebrating

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by highchief1: 11:16am On Dec 17, 2017
2horsePOWER:
is it even right?
why spend so much money?

What are your views?
whats d point making money?u want to bury a billionaire like a looser?

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by Ghostmode2two(m): 11:17am On Dec 17, 2017
It is useless and baseless. I feel burial is a moment of mourning but instead people eat, drink, dance and laugh. Also majority of our old parents were not taken care of while alive and when they die, those wicked children will spend stupendiously all in the name of burial ceremony.
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by stilldoingokay(f): 11:20am On Dec 17, 2017
is very wrong, if I can't give you ten thousand naira, when you're alive, then I can't spend up to that when you're dead.

some people even borrow for burial.
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by obowunmi(m): 11:26am On Dec 17, 2017
2horsePOWER:
is it even right?
why spend so much money?

What are your views?

If you took care of the person when they were alive, nothing wrong.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by Morcash01(m): 11:29am On Dec 17, 2017
not lavish burial,its waste of money,the dead only needs prayer in its grave
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by NLProblemChild(m): 11:36am On Dec 17, 2017
Right now my neighbor are preparing for a lavish party
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by misterh(m): 11:38am On Dec 17, 2017
booqee:
if i hear..

Yeah Muslims bury their dead immediately.. But months later they still do what you call the final burial party.. where they throw a lavish party eating and drinking.
That's not allowed in Islam though. Because some Muslims do it doesn't make it right.
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by misterh(m): 11:39am On Dec 17, 2017
Olabenjamen22:

What is this one saying
Maybe some Muslims do but it isn't allowed in Islam.
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 11:40am On Dec 17, 2017
They cant help their poor family but they can throw a lavish party wen they dead.
Digital Hypocrisy grin
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by Tedpgrass: 11:45am On Dec 17, 2017
tayooluwole:
Left to me, it is not proper. I know of an old woman in where I served, this woman relied on the people around before she could eat... she was always in tattered cloth suggesting of the absence of care from any children... One man told me all the woman's children were not around but in somewhere else struggling to make living. I asked the man, should been an hustler be an excuse to take care of one's mother ?

Behold, not long this woman died, the woman was buried in a semi-elaborate ceremony. Two cows was killed, beans cake was on rampage and some other foods.

Now the question is where did the money to float such an elaborate ceremony come out.

Why not using the money to give the woman a beffiting living when she was alive instead of beffiting burial...

He get some things wey we Africans they do wey no make sense at all...

I agree with the above...

but I have seen.situations where despite having enough, the old folks give an impression of poor upkeep by the children!!
an example of a lady who was building a 2storey building whilst seeking help n alms from anybody ready to listen to her "touching" stories, comes to mind.

Can you blame the children here:--- when Mama has more in her current account than multiples of their monthly household account needs and she will "dress tatterdly" to evoke emotions of pity and helplessness.!!

She still carries on despite several admonishments... who.do you blame??

Lets be careful before rushing to judge!!

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by skolab4(m): 11:47am On Dec 17, 2017
Its very wrong to me aside religious or cultural belief,,,, the dead person did not even want to die in the first place even at age 100" undecidedwho wan die undecided ...his/her people will pretend and cry for like 30mins the next you will see is "DJ on the beat" , they will start rejoicing as if they ve been for his/her death..... Some will spend to show the community how influential they are but will not show up when the dead is still alive,,,,they will up to 10 cows but the dead cannot afford #500 meat when alive.....some borrow thousands of naira for just funeral but can not borrow to take care of the deceased.... People are full of deceit to the extent that they even deceive the dead that the celebration is meant for him/her but the truth is the celebrant is just glorifying his/herself while the dead is gone and has nothing to gain thereafter.....

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by Samjojo16(m): 11:48am On Dec 17, 2017
The ironic part of it is that they won't take care of the said person before his/her death but after demise they will have a lavish funeral that will be the talk of the town
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 11:53am On Dec 17, 2017
First of all, it's strange and mind puzzling for a group of people to be drinking wine and eat the best food untop 50 years individual who untimely passed on.

Worst still, some people go far to borrow cash to have a lavish burial ceremony at the expense of the kids left behind by the deceased. Up till now, i am still looking for the sense out of this cultural practice in many African societies
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by CyberFury: 11:56am On Dec 17, 2017
Most Africans don't understand that a big part of success comes from the way you reason, this affects your spending habits and your financial strength.

You lose a loved one? The logical thing is to mourn, not celebrate. Using money to take care of the living to bury the dead. Societal pressure to meet up is a scam. Run at your level, manage well, and you'll be fine.

I have a friend who wedded his girlfriend during 6 a.m morning mass, the parents of both parties were there and a few friends and relations not up to eight in number. After this wedding the guy took his girl to a car dealership and bought her a brand new car, they went home, this happened on a Monday morning, on Tuesday the girl was back to work as if nothing happened.

The guy is very rich, but the way he goes about his business is something to be emulated. He could have spent the money on elaborate wedding, but instead he chose to make his wife happy with the money.
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by ruffDiamond: 12:07pm On Dec 17, 2017
even lavish celebration of birthday is also bad..intact I hate anything extravagant ...moderation is the key to everything and common sense is the doorway leading to wisdom..this mainly an African problem..misplaced priority as in almost everything
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by amnesty7: 12:19pm On Dec 17, 2017
Not a Muslim's problem at all.
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by amnesty7: 12:20pm On Dec 17, 2017
Lukgaf:
in Islam, we call it Isroff, spending lavishly
Extravagantly, you mean.
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by amnesty7: 12:22pm On Dec 17, 2017
Olabenjamen22:

What is this one saying
Why should they?
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by Damibiz(m): 12:22pm On Dec 17, 2017
Don't quote me wrong..i hv being doing it nd i will still continue till the day i die.......
ceeceeuwa:

Celebrate them while they are alive! Mark there Birthdays,give them quality care,make them feel loved, visit them...there is no amount of respect that you give the dead that he will appreciate.
i will celebrate them nw that they re alive nd when they die...
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by ruffDiamond: 12:35pm On Dec 17, 2017
2horsePOWER:
is it even right?
why spend so much money?

What are your views?
sometimes they even call it 'celebration of life'...and all kind of hypocritical praises and encomiums following.., some claiming the dead person is already in heaven,sitting at blossom of Abraham!.. I just laughed..how the hell do you know the person is in heaven or al-janna?how?the same bullshit was done and said of my Dad when the fool finally kicked the bucket...how nice he was bla bla bla..me,I just laughed.. I was feeling like Whoopi Goldberg in the Kingdom Comes featuring LL cool j and Cedric tha entertainer as pastor ..always angry and sourly there was hardly anything nice about him!irresponsible and and always shirking his duty.. the type that only know how to sow his cursed wild seed and abandon the mother and child to their fate..!this was supposed to a good Christian ...but like I'm always saying, incorrigible hypocrisy is their bane...Muslim don't have time for bullshit,,, you die,you are bury that same day..anything other thing is absolutely unislamic and tending toward hypocrisy...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Earring-wear Bishop - Td Jakes / Who Is Your Biblical Hero Or Heroine? / The Catholic Daily Prayer For Nigeria In Distress

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.