Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,834 members, 7,802,670 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:35 PM

Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony - Career (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony (80222 Views)

Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry / Firdaus Amasa Insulted Those Who Begged Her To Remove Her Hijab - Twitter User / Nigerians React To The Hijab-Wearing Law Graduate Who Wasn't Called To Bar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by OMOTOWO(m): 7:03pm On Dec 17, 2017
smoy:
may Allah straighten and strengthen your faith. proud of you.
see this ode..lols allah ko ali ni

1 Like

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by archdon: 7:09pm On Dec 17, 2017
smoy:
arch and don are contradictory professions.
Seems like u hv a severe case of stupid, so I am going to prescribe u a heavy dose of wisdom.

While I respect ur right to be a simpleton, please kw that u don't hv to stay dat way. First step is to get urself a dictionary and by so doing you would own something of value better than ur brain. If in the future u are ignorant which I guess is most time, consult someone who kws how to use dat dictionary
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by AgentOfAllah: 7:09pm On Dec 17, 2017
tintingz:
U.S courtroom has limit to how lawyers should dress, laywers can't dress beyond corporate suit or outfit(not sure tho), the reason I said it will disorganize the courtroom in Nigeria is because Nigeria society is filled with religious/traditional people, imagine the rate of religious people in Nigeria courtroom, is that same in U.S? Do people in U.S take religion and tradition serious?
What is your point? That US is not nearly as liberal as it should be, therefore Nigeria should not be liberal? Saying liberal dress code will disorganise the courtroom is just your own speculation. There is not a shred of evidence that backs your claim up!

What if it fail, hijab is still not approved in bar, what then is next? What she should have done is comply with dress code,
If it fails, then at least she can say she fought for something she believes in! So what? People should shriek from fighting for their rights because of the fear of failure? This type of mentality is one of the more unfortunate antithesis to progress.

join the member and take positive action. Hijab is not something that beneficial to the society, it's only beneficial to her ideology.
So what if hijab is only beneficial to her ideology? Why should society deny her the benefits (real or imagined) of her ideology if it does nothing to harm society? The rule is simple: Live and let live!
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Nobody: 7:11pm On Dec 17, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

P.S. Maezara, apologies if I came across as abrasive. My communication skill deteriorates as an exponential function of the number of people I'm responding to. I'll eat one unripe banana as atonement.
Lol. grin

It's fine. I figured quite as much. I understand.
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Joshmodest(m): 7:14pm On Dec 17, 2017
Nigeria's biggest problems today are tribalism and Religions, what's d big deal in taking off ur Hijab for some minutes, to get called to bar, it's not as if d trumpet will sound while u take it off to be called to bar. and now d whole thing is causing arguments here and there....
Be a Muslim
Be a Christian
Be a traditional worshipper
and still Be a human being.
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Tunsboy17(m): 7:18pm On Dec 17, 2017
Limitednow:
Just tell us you need an Islamic state.

There is no difference between you and boko haram!

Why are we nigerians like this.....every little thing we turn it to religion, instead of dealing with the issue fairly..........this laws were made by the british,This is africa,this is nigeria for christ sake.....THE QUESTION IS ,WHY DO WE LIKE ENSLAVING OURSELFS??

JUST SPEECHLESS
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Geist(m): 7:18pm On Dec 17, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

The council of legal education in Nigeria are the administrators of the Law school man, with exactly the same function as your university senate members. I seriously don't know what you're trying to argue here!

Just read the whole thing.
This is what I am saying. The council of legal education in Nigeria certify that one is qualified to be called to bar. The council of benchers however do the calling to bar. They were the ones who prevented the Lady from answering her call and not the council of legal education. The Link I provided up there clearly states the qualification by the council of legal education as one amongst other requirements for the council of benchers to call prospective practicing lawyers to bar. In all I get what you're saying. The only way I see her winning this though is if she proves that the dress code is not a requirement by the NBA
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by royalty18: 7:32pm On Dec 17, 2017
FunkyAlhaji2015:
This is a much bigger issue than what this girl is looking at. Every institution has its code and conduct. The Nigerian Law School has its dress code, so does NYSC. The NYSC dress code of wearing trousers is against a lot of Christians faithful, but they have to wear to fulfil the clarion call. A lot of religious bigot want to bring in controversy in everything. Law is a respectable profession that should not be dragged into the mud by religious bigots.

Thank you for this response.
NYSC was my first time of ever wearing trousers. Do I want to? No. But imagine if every CAC, Deeper Life, New Testament, MFM, Lords Chosen etc that doesn't subscribe to wearing such wants to cause trouble and insists on wearing skirts. How will it look like??
I have noticed over time that it's in my best interest not to get into an argument with a muslim over any issue because before you say Jack, they would drag it into religion.

Once you bend the rule for one person, just get ready for every form of outlaws!
Firdaus, enjoy the attention and fame while it lasts!

It reminds me of undergraduate days when a lady in hijab walked in to the class and a classmate was shaking our hands and he stretched forth his hand to greet her, she held back saying its Aram. And surprisingly the guy said are you a virgin?? Everybody bursted into laughter in the class.
There are many major matters to deal with in this country than hijab. That's how Aregbe too started!
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by tintingz(m): 7:57pm On Dec 17, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

What is your point? That US is not nearly as liberal as it should be, therefore Nigeria should not be liberal? Saying liberal dress code will disorganise the courtroom is just your own speculation. There is not a shred of evidence that backs your claim up!
Ok, when a masquerade believer wear mask to courtroom, a Muslim were a turban, santa claus believer wear santa cap, cele person wear white cap to courtroom, Sango believer wear cowries, won't that be a good Halloween party? grin

Nigeria lawmakers knows the people and society, they know the level of religion in the society, this is how it can be controlled in organizations, some laws in organizations can surpass some of your constitutional rights.

If it fails, then at least she can say she fought for something she believes in! So what? People should shriek from fighting for their rights because of the fear of failure? This type of mentality is one of the more unfortunate antithesis to progress.
I didn't say she shouldn't fight for her right, I'm saying she should be wise about it, she should join the member then take the positive action, now that she's not call to bar, who looses?

So what if hijab is only beneficial to her ideology? Why should society deny her the benefits (real or imagined) of her ideology if it does nothing to harm society? The rule is simple: Live and let live!
Maybe I was wrong here using society, I should have used organization(she willingly joined).

You can fight for what will benefit your ideology, not when you join an organization that has rules.
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Nobody: 8:01pm On Dec 17, 2017
smoy:
sooner or later we shall get there were every Muslimah shall have their Hijab on them wherever, Inshaallah.

Even IFA worshipers will soon be allowed to wear cowries to law school....
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Yommy247(m): 8:01pm On Dec 17, 2017
smoy:
now tell me how the Hijab will block here brain to do justice. is just a mere cloth. don't you get it, or is the Islam that you have phobia for?
Thank God you said "just a mere cloth"
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Diademk07: 8:15pm On Dec 17, 2017
BenzEne1:

If the Sango worshipers want to fight for their right. It has got nothing to do with us. They can do as they please. Good luck.to them. Practicing the religion appropriately is what matters.

Verse (24:31) - Translation
“...and not display their beauty except what is apparent, and they should place their khumur over their bosoms...

What is the meaning of “khumur” used in this verse?
Khumur خُمُرٌ is plural of khimarخِمَارٌ , the veil covering the head.

Al-Munjid, which is the most popular dictionary in the Arab world, defines al-khimar as “something with which a woman conceals her head —ما تغطى به المرأة رأسها .” Fakhru ’d-Din al-Turayhi in Majma‘u ’l-Bahrayn (which is a dictionary of Qur’anic and hadith terms) defines al-khimar as “scarf, and it is known as such because the head is covered with it.

So the word khimar, by definition, means a piece of cloth that covers the head.

Then what does the clause “placing the khumur over the bosoms” mean?
According to the commentators of the Qur’an, the women of Medina in the pre-Islamic era used to put their khumur over the head with the two ends tucked behind and tied at the back of the neck, in the process exposing their ears and neck. By saying that, “place the khumur over the bosoms,” Almighty Allah ordered the women to let the two ends of their headgear extend onto their bosoms so that they conceal their ears, the neck, and the upper part of the bosom also

We're africans though, not arab!

If your Allah can't allow africa women to put on their cultural garbs before him like he created them to be, then Allah is a partial god, not worthy of africa men!

And if muslim wants a covering on their head in their call to bar, our africa "gele" should suffice for them! Lovely africa culture.
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Yommy247(m): 8:18pm On Dec 17, 2017
BenzEne1:

If the Sango worshipers want to fight for their right. It has got nothing to do with us. They can do as they please. Good luck.to them. Practicing the religion appropriately is what matters.

Verse (24:31) - Translation
“...and not display their beauty except what is apparent, and they should place their khumur over their bosoms...

What is the meaning of “khumur” used in this verse?
Khumur خُمُرٌ is plural of khimarخِمَارٌ , the veil covering the head.

Al-Munjid, which is the most popular dictionary in the Arab world, defines al-khimar as “something with which a woman conceals her head —ما تغطى به المرأة رأسها .” Fakhru ’d-Din al-Turayhi in Majma‘u ’l-Bahrayn (which is a dictionary of Qur’anic and hadith terms) defines al-khimar as “scarf, and it is known as such because the head is covered with it.

So the word khimar, by definition, means a piece of cloth that covers the head.

Then what does the clause “placing the khumur over the bosoms” mean?
According to the commentators of the Qur’an, the women of Medina in the pre-Islamic era used to put their khumur over the head with the two ends tucked behind and tied at the back of the neck, in the process exposing their ears and neck. By saying that, “place the khumur over the bosoms,” Almighty Allah ordered the women to let the two ends of their headgear extend onto their bosoms so that they conceal their ears, the neck, and the upper part of the bosom also
Oro radarada
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Yommy247(m): 8:18pm On Dec 17, 2017
blackbeau1:
You wore the hijab because you are a bigot and wanted to start up a religious war
Exactly!

1 Like

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Diademk07: 8:20pm On Dec 17, 2017
AgentOfAllah:
I have seen many claims on here that wearing hijab to one's call to bar is against the law, but I have yet to see anybody cite the specific law that is being violated. This is not about Amasa's religion, it's about her secular rights, and in this case, the law school, in spite of its unique position as the nurturer of Nigeria's judicial institution, is evidently the erring party here. The law school should ferociously adhere to, and promote the spirit of Nigeria's constitution, not brazenly violate it, as it has done against this young lady. I'm happy she's brave enough to stand her ground, and I stand with Amasa Firdaus!

Funny enough, islam permit no formal education for women!

Let her go and contest women right to practising sharia law before coming here to spout nonsense.

As for some women that loves covering their head in their call to bar, 'gele' should suffice for them because we're proper africa men, not arabs!
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Yommy247(m): 8:21pm On Dec 17, 2017
Famodimudavid:
hey watch your mouth...and this is how you start issues on religion rivalry...I dont see anything bad about the Muslim sister's demand or agenda as the case my be.
You can't see anything bad bout the whole thing because you are blind mentally. She knew what she signed So why all dis drama
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Yommy247(m): 8:24pm On Dec 17, 2017
Yusuf54:
Always comment like a sensible n responsible person
Why not tell Amasa Firadus to act like an educated and responsible fellow first?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Yommy247(m): 8:27pm On Dec 17, 2017
forzarush:
Hijab is COMPULSORY, Olodo.
Hijab is NOT compulsory, Ode

1 Like

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Yommy247(m): 8:27pm On Dec 17, 2017
toprealman:
You do not know what a hijab is....do you?
just a mere cloth

1 Like

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by nonut: 8:31pm On Dec 17, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

Nigerian law school is not, and I repeat it is NOT an association! Stop bringing irrelevant arguments as if they have any bearing on the present issue.
Please read the argument I made to Geist below:

Tell that to the judge who would rule against this crap.
If you guys want special provisions made for you because you're Muslims, write a letter to lawmakers.
I'm sure they'll come up with something.
Some born again Christians are made to wear the NYSC trousers even though it stands against everything they believe in, but they have to do it cos it's the law.
First if she's allowed to wear it once, next she'll put it on in a courtroom and claim it's her right.
You Muslims should try and be peaceful and stop trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.
The other day Muslims in Nigeria were protesting about something that doesn't concern them in anyway.
Something between US, Israel and Palestines.
But Muslims in Nigeria found a way to make it about them.
You guys should embrace peace and stop raising unnecessary alarm over nothing.

2 Likes

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Yommy247(m): 8:43pm On Dec 17, 2017
bakry86:

and by d way, what is ur problem with someone wearing hijab in d law courts? Is it her uncovered hair that will give u justice? Stop d needless islamophobia n learn to respect others' believe, more so wen it has no effect on u.

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Diademk07: 8:44pm On Dec 17, 2017
maasoap:
Because the Nigeria constitution permits her.
Why didn't the same Nigerian constitution permits women in Sharia law practise?
Are Muslim women supposed to have formal education according to Allah sef?
Yeye.

1 Like

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Yommy247(m): 8:46pm On Dec 17, 2017
wirinet:

Practising her religion in a secular court? If you guys really want to practice your religion, why did the lady come to church without the company of a male relative, why are Muslim ladies no going around with burka as is specified in the Koran.
Bro pls ignore that guy... he's retarded
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Diademk07: 8:47pm On Dec 17, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

I'm sorry, but your argument is rather absurd! It is a secular court, not an anti-religion court. The goal of secularism has never been to eliminate religious expressions. It is to remove any direct influence of religion from state transactions. So, please tell me, how does wearing hijab interfere with state transactions?

How does not wearing Arabic Hijab interfere with state transactions?
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Dindondin(m): 8:52pm On Dec 17, 2017
Tugsramm:
u just av to respect my opinion. Nd i didn't mention in previous comment maybe am muslim. U just tryin to bring irrelevant tins so i av to think d same way wit u?.ur post is selfish also the arabic on d notes go nd ask about d meaning maybe dat wil soften ur mind
Defending Firdaus in this Hijab issue made your opinion useless.
Remove religion from the NBA or Muslims should v their own version. You & other Muslims defending Firdaus blindly v no valid case. Including your Sultan & Ishaq Olayiwola who becomes a 3rd class graduate anytime he's to defend baseless issues.
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Diademk07: 8:52pm On Dec 17, 2017
forzarush:
Raise your hand over your head and give yourself a knock. she is not ' the Muslim sisters that (has) have been called before her' and as to whether or not they are inferior,you should know since you seem to think you and your 'people pointers' know about Islam. Goan carry dictionary and look up the word fanatism.

Only the wretched wears Hijabs!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Diademk07: 8:54pm On Dec 17, 2017
smoy:
any body is free to use anything he dim fit, as far as you don't tampered with the right of a Muslimah especially.

Exactly. Chaotic na Muslim way. Show them the chaos you're made of, brother!
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by emmanuelex1(m): 8:56pm On Dec 17, 2017
Really? YOU ARE proud of someone who goes to a secular school to make trouble? why did she not go to SHARIA LAW SCHOOL? I AM NOT SURPRISE WHY MOST ISLAMIC COUNTRIES CAN'T HAVE PEACE
smoy:
may Allah straighten and strengthen your faith. proud of you.
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Diademk07: 8:59pm On Dec 17, 2017
azyaq:
Is it a crime if they allow Muslim female lawyers wear hijab wen d Christian can dress d way they like. Be just man

And who says christians do as they like?

Did you hear CAN speak out on the case of the Christian girl that deemed NySC uniform beneath her? She quit quietly and no one bat an eyes!

Just accept that your religion is chaotic! Na chaotic be una way.
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Pat081: 9:06pm On Dec 17, 2017
I was thinking to c d most beautiful gal in d world but not I hope dey use to tell dem wot to do n nt to do
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by mirexxx(f): 9:14pm On Dec 17, 2017
smoy:
they all have faith but in certain percentage to others, though some even without Hijab might be stronger than that hijabit sister in her faith but the reward that accomplish the injunction of Allah consigning hijab shall only receive by the one that uses it. secondly the hijabit sister is more preserved in these manners; skin protection, oppressors, etc above all, more reward from Allah for following rules of Allah.
alright then. ☺
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by mirexxx(f): 9:30pm On Dec 17, 2017
Tunsboy17:

Why are we nigerians like this.....every little thing we turn it to religion, instead of dealing with the issue fairly..........this laws were made by the british,This is africa,this is nigeria for christ sake.....THE QUESTION IS ,WHY DO WE LIKE ENSLAVING OURSELFS??

JUST SPEECHLESS

So far, the so called British laws has helped in organising, controlling and coordinating the social and corporate life of Africa.. just imagine if everyone went to the court room with their religious and traditional attires...it would surely be chaos. a particular religion or tradition may feel supreme to the other.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Meet Ebere Asonibe, A Graduate Who Is A Native Doctor / Photos Of Twitter Staff Before And After Elon Musk / Kafayat Sanni: Nigeria's First Female Fighter Pilot (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.