Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,465 members, 7,808,651 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:55 PM

Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony (80282 Views)

Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry / Firdaus Amasa Insulted Those Who Begged Her To Remove Her Hijab - Twitter User / Nigerians React To The Hijab-Wearing Law Graduate Who Wasn't Called To Bar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by bakry86: 1:18pm On Dec 17, 2017
SalamRushdie:
So she intentionally set out to go the bar ceremony to cause problems being the the Adherent of the religion of peace she is ..I maintain this silly girl is being sponsored for Bigger agenda by people within the NBA and the govt who in coming months will make Hijab wearing okay for female muslim lawyers and Judges in our common law courts...just watch and see

and by d way, what is ur problem with someone wearing hijab in d law courts? Is it her uncovered hair that will give u justice? Stop d needless islamophobia n learn to respect others' believe, more so wen it has no effect on u.

1 Like

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by pweetiedee(m): 1:18pm On Dec 17, 2017
DerideGull:
In this girl's case, I had hoped beauty is another criterion an applicant had to clear before being admitted into law school.

Chai!
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by kingPhidel(m): 1:22pm On Dec 17, 2017
It's clear that she was sent,
But don't inculcate your religious views into governmental code of conduct, any one who cannnot drop some certain religious views, should quietly go an study his religion as a course and fine his bearing.
Very soon they'll say arm forces should be permitted to wear hijabs.
SMH

1 Like

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by bakynes(m): 1:22pm On Dec 17, 2017
Issue like this is why Western Ideologies and Islamic ideologies are two parallel lines.

The Law we practise is a British type of Law and Britain is part of the Western society, there is no way you can combine Western practise with Islamic Practise just not possible.

That is why Boko -haram said Western Education is Haram.

If you know the ethics of that profession is not in tangent or agreement with your religion,its better you avoid such a profession.

2 Likes

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by wirinet(m): 1:23pm On Dec 17, 2017
BenzEne1:

If the Sango worshipers want to fight for their right. It has got nothing to do with us. They can do as they please. Good luck.to them. Practicing the religion appropriately is what matters.

Verse (24:31) - Translation
“...and not display their beauty except what is apparent, and they should place their khumur over their bosoms...

What is the meaning of “khumur” used in this verse?
Khumur خُمُرٌ is plural of khimarخِمَارٌ , the veil covering the head.

Al-Munjid, which is the most popular dictionary in the Arab world, defines al-khimar as “something with which a woman conceals her head —ما تغطى به المرأة رأسها .” Fakhru ’d-Din al-Turayhi in Majma‘u ’l-Bahrayn (which is a dictionary of Qur’anic and hadith terms) defines al-khimar as “scarf, and it is known as such because the head is covered with it.

So the word khimar, by definition, means a piece of cloth that covers the head.

Then what does the clause “placing the khumur over the bosoms” mean?
According to the commentators of the Qur’an, the women of Medina in the pre-Islamic era used to put their khumur over the head with the two ends tucked behind and tied at the back of the neck, in the process exposing their ears and neck. By saying that, “place the khumur over the bosoms,” Almighty Allah ordered the women to let the two ends of their headgear extend onto their bosoms so that they conceal their ears, the neck, and the upper part of the bosom also

Practising her religion in a secular court? If you guys really want to practice your religion, why did the lady come to church without the company of a male relative, why are Muslim ladies no going around with burka as is specified in the Koran.

1 Like

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Obashlino(m): 1:23pm On Dec 17, 2017
Dear miss Amasa firdaus, I don't have anything with you but kindly respond to my question accordingly.

Do you have an international passport?

if yes, did you remove your hijab when you took the passport?

if no, would you remove your hijab if you want to take international passport having known that you can't take it with your hijab?

if you can take away your​ hijab away for few minutes during which the passport is taken then why can't you take it off as well during the "call to bar ceremony"

morealso, if the code of conduct is amended so to say. what should be the fate of other faithfuls like christians, traditional worshippers e.t.c because they have their own mode of dressing as well.

furthermore, what would your stance be if you're to judge a case affiliated to islam and other religion(s) and the islam person(s) is found guilty based on your religious belief?

these are my few questions begin for answers

Do solemly respond

6 Likes

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by wale200: 1:24pm On Dec 17, 2017
History will be kind to you Firdaus when nobody remembers your critics. Late Gani Fawehinmi fought Locus standi and everyone enjoys it today. God will see u through. Amen.

1 Like

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by sorextee(m): 1:24pm On Dec 17, 2017
So if I dressed like this for my call to bar, and I was refused entry.. Is it safe for me to say my religious rights were violated

1 Like

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by maasoap(m): 1:24pm On Dec 17, 2017
DerideGull:

Why did she attend a secular law school when there is Sharia law school? She is very delusional like most Nigerians.
Because the Nigeria constitution permits her.
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by raphretle: 1:25pm On Dec 17, 2017
this is the first time Nigerians are serious about dress code....
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by poseidon12: 1:25pm On Dec 17, 2017
Foolish zealot. Nigerians and their foolishness. The current issue in normal societies is tech innovation in artificial intelligence and here we have religious hypocrites disturbing us with not being allowed to cover themselves like masquerades, while their men are busy looking for the fourth wife/slave.

3 Likes

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Nobody: 1:25pm On Dec 17, 2017
Why is she ranting and wailing on social media when she refused to do the needful.

Is she the first Muslim lawyer, she should better go and ask how other Muslim lawyers got called to bar and that's if she still want to be called to bar else she should carry her terror religion and go far way, make we hear word

1 Like

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by ibromodzi: 1:26pm On Dec 17, 2017
factsandfigures:
I want my Muslim brothers to answer this question with all sincerity. Will it be acceptable to them if someone turn up in Sango attires to the bar ceremony?
I am yet to see anywhere in the Koran that makes the wearing of hijabs compulsory.
what do you think you know about Quran? saying I have not seen anywhere in the Quran like you have even read a quarter of it.

1 Like

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by MossLuv: 1:26pm On Dec 17, 2017
ugly thing wit an ugliest noise. every profession has its own ethics and that should be respected. go and join soldier and compel them to wear gown. nonsense!
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by diamond88: 1:26pm On Dec 17, 2017
fellowman:

will you accept her as a lawyer in a Sharia court?
will she not do better in a Sharia court, considering the fact that women can't even enter the Sharia court.

They are just deceiving themselves

1 Like

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Nowenuse: 1:27pm On Dec 17, 2017
Nigeria would have been a more peaceful and progressive country without this religion called Islam.
Always causing problems all the time.

1 Like

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by diamond88: 1:27pm On Dec 17, 2017
MossLuv:
ugly thing wit an ugliest noise. every profession has its own ethics and that should be respected. go and join soldier and compel them to wear gown. nonsense!

Muslim women dont join the army
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by unitysheart(m): 1:27pm On Dec 17, 2017
cosby02:
Please dont forget this people.

I think they also have a right.

You nailed it
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by miketayo(m): 1:27pm On Dec 17, 2017
U just want to find trouble

1 Like

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by msylva2147(m): 1:27pm On Dec 17, 2017
I believed she must be taking the back seat while in the said law school as ugly as she is, who will she even defend in court?
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Nauttyprof(m): 1:28pm On Dec 17, 2017
The Muslims are the major cause of problems in this Nation, Nigeria.

It is always one thing or the other about them.

Nigeria will know peace if we stop the foolishness we create as a result of bringing in religion into everything.

This will become news for weeks or months based on religiosity and not using these religions in looking for way forward for the country.

2 Likes

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by eodavids(m): 1:28pm On Dec 17, 2017
AgentOfAllah:
I have seen many claims on here that wearing hijab to one's call to bar is against the law, but I have yet to see anybody cite the specific law that is being violated. This is not about Amasa's religion, it's about her secular rights, and in this case, the law school, in spite of its unique position as the nurturer of Nigeria's judicial institution, is evidently the erring party here. The law school should ferociously adhere to, and promote the spirit of Nigeria's constitution, not brazenly violate it, as it has done against this young lady. I'm happy she's brave enough to stand her ground, and I stand with Amasa Firdaus!

Your point is clear, @agent

But the point is:
Others, both her mates and previous graduates of Law school have certain areas and aspect of the institution's modus operandi which may not conform to their belief. All such people have kept quiet in the interest of peace and uniformity.

By this act, perhaps all future students will find a voice and must be given their right to difference.

Can you expect what right to difference will introduce

Oh common. Let's not go there na.

1 Like

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by diamond88: 1:28pm On Dec 17, 2017
poseidon12:
Foolish zealot. Nigerians and their foolishness. The current issue in normal societies is tech innovation in artificial intelligence and here we have religious hypocrites disturbing us with not being allowed to cover themselves like masquerades, while their men are busy looking for the fourth wife/slave.

Lol epic. And she will end up being the fourth wives
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by babajeje123(m): 1:29pm On Dec 17, 2017
DerideGull:

Are you this elusive? There are many Nigerians and states that practice sharia law in Nigeria. Yes, I guess you learnt correctly that law school is for everyone without religious indoctrination.
Should we have sharia law in Nigeria in the first place?

2 Likes

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by AgentOfAllah: 1:34pm On Dec 17, 2017
wirinet:

Practising her religion in a secular court? If you guys really want to practice your religion, why did the lady come to church without the company of a male relative, why are Muslim ladies no going around with burka as is specified in the Koran.

I'm sorry, but your argument is rather absurd! It is a secular court, not an anti-religion court. The goal of secularism has never been to eliminate religious expressions. It is to remove any direct influence of religion from state transactions. So, please tell me, how does wearing hijab interfere with state transactions?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Essy697: 1:34pm On Dec 17, 2017
anibi9674:
not dat you are a virgin.
Na dm do rubbish pass...Alkimah University in ilorin dy full dere cover body from head to toe but dm fit Bleep dm sf for inside toilet Nonsense..

2 Likes

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by melejo(m): 1:34pm On Dec 17, 2017
BenzEne1:

If the Sango worshipers want to fight for their right. It has got nothing to do with us. They can do as they please. Good luck.to them. Practicing the religion appropriately is what matters.

Verse (24:31) - Translation
“...and not display their beauty except what is apparent, and they should place their khumur over their bosoms...

What is the meaning of “khumur” used in this verse?
Khumur خُمُرٌ is plural of khimarخِمَارٌ , the veil covering the head.

Al-Munjid, which is the most popular dictionary in the Arab world, defines al-khimar as “something with which a woman conceals her head —ما تغطى به المرأة رأسها .” Fakhru ’d-Din al-Turayhi in Majma‘u ’l-Bahrayn (which is a dictionary of Qur’anic and hadith terms) defines al-khimar as “scarf, and it is known as such because the head is covered with it.

So the word khimar, by definition, means a piece of cloth that covers the head.

Then what does the clause “placing the khumur over the bosoms” mean?
According to the commentators of the Qur’an, the women of Medina in the pre-Islamic era used to put their khumur over the head with the two ends tucked behind and tied at the back of the neck, in the process exposing their ears and neck. By saying that, “place the khumur over the bosoms,” Almighty Allah ordered the women to let the two ends of their headgear extend onto their bosoms so that they conceal their ears, the neck, and the upper part of the bosom also
Not display their beauty? I can see the girl is toooooo beautiful

3 Likes

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by rhames(m): 1:36pm On Dec 17, 2017
fellowman:

will you accept her as a lawyer in a Sharia court?
will she not do better in a Sharia court, considering the fact that women can't even enter the Sharia court.

Women are allowed to go to Sharia Court and women lawyers prosecute and handle cases in the Sharia Court. So where did you get that idea that women dont go to the Sharia Court.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by lobell: 1:37pm On Dec 17, 2017
Boom! There you have it.

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Willythaddy(m): 1:37pm On Dec 17, 2017
DerideGull:
In this girl's case, I had hoped beauty is another criterion an applicant had to clear before being admitted into law school.
Prostitute.... Mumu
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by wirinet(m): 1:37pm On Dec 17, 2017
bakry86:

and by d way, what is ur problem with someone wearing hijab in d law courts? Is it her uncovered hair that will give u justice? Stop d needless islamophobia n learn to respect others' believe, more so wen it has no effect on u.

Maybe we need to devide the country along religious lines as done with India. You guys will then be free to substitute the constitution with shariah law. There is no way affiliated Christian will stand before a judge wearing an hijab or burka, likewise there is no way affiliated Muslim will stand before a judge watering a cassock.

1 Like

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Essy697: 1:37pm On Dec 17, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

I'm sorry, but your argument is rather absurd! It is a secular court, not an anti-religion court. The goal of secularism has never been to eliminate religious expressions. It is to remove any direct influence of religion from state transactions. So, please tell me, how does wearing hijab interfere with state transactions?
U don't have to argue with ds pple dy ve bin blindfolded by sentiments therefore they won't seen any wrong in what she did...let dm be.. let dm continue to wallow in Ignorance..Islam a religion of Peace my Foot.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Meet Ebere Asonibe, A Graduate Who Is A Native Doctor / Photos Of Twitter Staff Before And After Elon Musk / Kafayat Sanni: Nigeria's First Female Fighter Pilot (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.