Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,887 members, 7,802,860 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:37 PM

Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? (32469 Views)

Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony / Firdaus Amasa Insulted Those Who Begged Her To Remove Her Hijab - Twitter User / Slay Queen Called To Bar Shares Her Experience At Nigerian Law School. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by zicoraads: 2:44pm On Dec 17, 2017
lazygal:

What if those. Rules infringe on laws set in the constitution it becomes null and void

Mind you law evokes a new precedence can be set so the states case isn't hard and fast rule
Then you go to court and challenge the rules. Not snap and post on social media for the sake of using religion to cause problems.

5 Likes

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by lazygal: 2:44pm On Dec 17, 2017
Nistfrank:
shes just stubborn

All leaders are stubborn including the good ones

2 Likes

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by bkool7(m): 2:44pm On Dec 17, 2017
babaskool:
This matter is actually very simple and straightforward than it is being made to be.
Firstly Miss Firdaus get yourself a good lawyer, instruct him to bring an application for enforcement of your fundamental rights via the FREP rules 2009.

One of the prayers you would be seeking as a relief is that the actions of staff of the council of legal education on the day of your call to bar infringed on your right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion

Please remind your lawyer to be reasonable and only ask that you may be called at the next call to bar which is April 2018.

Also please tell him to institute your case in the Federal High court and should only make a case against the council of legal education and not the body of benchers (the body is the highest supreme body in the land ) they might feel offended

Kind regards
Akinola Samuel Eluyefa

Does this apply to me a Muslim getting a bank loan and being exempted from paying the interest cause it infringes on my freedom of thought , conscience and religion too ?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by Uchemus(m): 2:45pm On Dec 17, 2017
Brightolanton:

Fool. So graduating from law school is now synonymous yo getting banking job? Ignoramus bigots like you failed to realise that Nigeria law school is a government institution and all Nigerians regardless of creed have equal rights to it while the bank is a private firm. Think before u type fanatic
you are so pained you forgot to make use of your frail brain, he wasn't comparing the bank and the Nigerian laws school as regards their ownership. Irrespective of the a body or association and whoever owns it, you have to stick to their code of conduct. As at the moment, your hijab or Allah hat isn't accepted by the NBA, if she doesn't like it, she can refrain from studying law, or better still study Islamic studies.. it's not by for to be called to bar. If you don't like my post you can find a close by toilet and passionately kiss the sit.

7 Likes

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by lazygal: 2:45pm On Dec 17, 2017
zicoraads:

Then you go to court and challenge the rules. Not snap and post on social media for the sake of using religion to cause problems.

Did amasu snap on social media ? Nope she challenged It by her actions .and am very sure court is her next move ..

What ever any one wishes to state can never take away this girls courage ..give it to her.. She did what millions could not

2 Likes

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by ZombiePUNISHER: 2:46pm On Dec 17, 2017
Slimboy94:

Must you always show how stupid you are?

Before you blow me Up
Please is Nigeria a Sharia country?

Just answer

3 Likes

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by fotadmowmend(m): 2:50pm On Dec 17, 2017
The lady carried her uniilorin senseless behavior reach out

1 Like

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by Sikay19(m): 2:51pm On Dec 17, 2017
Some people are just being hypocritical on the ground of islamophobic attitude. It is really unreasonable to have compare hijab with these ceremonial style of dressing. Hijab is being known as part of Muslim identity of of which every female muslims are to be adorn with and definitely not for ceremonial or spiritual purposes.
The argument is really baseless

1 Like

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by homesteady(m): 2:51pm On Dec 17, 2017
bkool7:

Does this apply to me a Muslim getting a bank loan and being exempted from paying the interest cause it infringes on my freedom of thought , conscience and religion too ?

Hmmm, another angle. .

Cc. Lazygal

1 Like

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by Mynd44: 2:51pm On Dec 17, 2017
oyb:

end of. unfortunately for some jokers who like to claim that the first female muslim lawyer in this country was called to bar in 1999, or that muslims are underrepresented in the NBA, neither is the case. politics/democracy is a game of numbers. there are enough influential muslims practicing law in this country to push this thing through. no need for any ambiguity.

It will be discussed and agreed upon. There is no big deal in a woman wearing a scarf to work. Women in other fields are doing it. Law in the end is about logic, not sentiment. Wearing a hijab will not any way impact on a lawyers professional appearance/demeanour.

Kudos to Ms Firdaus
I have said and will keep saying that you guys are just being myopic and bringing your religious sentiments into things

This is a clear issue which shoukd make everyone push for changes in the actions of the law school and ask for a total overhaul of the dresscode totally but you want to make it an Islam thing.

See how far it goes

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by Adebowale89(m): 2:55pm On Dec 17, 2017
someone that don't respect the law of the land is not worth practicing any religion because these religions are subordinate under the government

this fridau or na Friday mumu girl hijab gibberish should be left behind abeg, we have more pressing issues in Nigeria

I wish she goto court and be disgrace from there mumu lawyer to be

1 Like

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by smulti(m): 2:56pm On Dec 17, 2017
basic23111:
Hijab is our pride

Islam used to be a respected religion until after the introduction of sharia law in the north which gave birth to radical Islamist that painted all followers with same brush

4 Likes

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by Mynd44: 2:56pm On Dec 17, 2017
lazygal:

What if those. Rules infringe on laws set in the constitution it becomes null and void

Mind you law evokes a new precedence can be set so the states case isn't hard and fast rule
Wrong. According to the judgment, if you agree to be a member of these association, your constitutional rights can be shifted and is not binding.

Being a lawyer is a privilege and not a right

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by hakeem4(m): 2:56pm On Dec 17, 2017
Brightolanton:

So graduating from law school is now synonymous yo getting banking job? Ignoramus bigots like you failed to realise that Nigeria law school is a government institution and all Nigerians regardless of creed have equal rights to it while the bank is a private firm. Think before u type foolish fanatic
they gave you the dress code for the party but you decided to dress the way you want

2 Likes

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by olaremint(m): 2:56pm On Dec 17, 2017
the courts does not intervene in decisions of voluntary associations, fine argument. however if the decisions of voluntary associations amounts to an offence in the land or violations of human rights, can it still be categorized as non interference in the decisions of a voluntary association. If members of the NBA decides to support the disintegration of Nigeria and sponsors Nnamdi Kanu to blow up the Abuja airport , can NBA raise the objection that the court cannot interfere in their affairs . that should be the most mumuish and illogical reasoning have ever come across.
Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by Mynd44: 2:58pm On Dec 17, 2017
lazygal:

I guess the court has to be askddto unterpreye section 38 as it relates to amasu's case

Mynd44 what is your business in this matter ?Maybe you are dating her sef
I have watched people turn this into some silly religious war when it is straight forward.

I want changes in the NLS, the issue is that human wont be allowed as long as structured are not changed which we should call for but people are saying it is her right to wear hijab (which is wrong). Unless the dresscode is removed (which I support) the ban on hijab stays.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by ruffDiamond: 2:59pm On Dec 17, 2017
babaskool:
This matter is actually very simple and straightforward than it is being made to be.
Firstly Miss Firdaus get yourself a good lawyer, instruct him to bring an application for enforcement of your fundamental rights via the FREP rules 2009.

One of the prayers you would be seeking as a relief is that the actions of staff of the council of legal education on the day of your call to bar infringed on your right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion

Please remind your lawyer to be reasonable and only ask that you may be called at the next call to bar which is April 2018.

Also please tell him to institute your case in the Federal High court and should only make a case against the council of legal education and not the body of benchers (the body is the highest supreme body in the land ) they might feel offended

Kind regards
Akinola Samuel Eluyefa
SMH...why da fuq should the body of benchers feel offended ?you mean their feelings is above he law.where is the law sef..injustice everywhere .

1 Like

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by linearity: 2:59pm On Dec 17, 2017
Campusity:
This simply means that the courts cannot intervene in the matter concerning the dress code for the bar graduation. It can be resolved within the organisation by internal mechanisms to decide what to do and follow.

But the call to bar procedures is handled by a government organisation ie the Council for Legal Education not an association like the Nigerian Bar Association which the court ruling is referring to.

The courts may intervene in this case...

Plus, since has not been called to bar yet, she is not a member of NBA, which means the above is not applicable to her case.

Though, the questions is....who set the rules regarding lawyers apparels/regalia in Nigeria? Is it the NBA or some other Act?

If it is the NBA, though the above case does not restrict her, but the other question is...can one sue a voluntary association to which he/she wants to join in order to force a rule change within the association? I think one will lack standing in this type of scenario.

Maybe, the best approach is politically and those can force NBA to relent.

Like you said, she should sue the Council for Legal Education, so she can be called to bar. But I doubt if the council can waive the legal lawyer regalia in Nigeria and she clearly stated that, her goal is to have that changed....All I think the Council can give her is another try at call to bar.

4 Likes

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by Sirjamo: 3:00pm On Dec 17, 2017
babaskool:

Kind regards
Akinola Samuel Eluyefa
Thank you sir, it's obvious you are a non- Muslim, yet, you did not allow that to becloud your sense of reasoning. Its a must that we defend our fundamental human right, which ever side of the divide we belong to

1 Like

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by Sikay19(m): 3:01pm On Dec 17, 2017
Adebowale89:
someone that don't respect the law of the land is not worth practicing any religion because these religions are subordinate under the government

this fridau or na Friday mumu girl hijab gibberish should be left behind abeg, we have more pressing issues in Nigeria

I wish she goto court and be disgrace from there mumu lawyer to be

Just like you obviously disgrace your generation with this comment undecided undecided
Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by bareal(m): 3:02pm On Dec 17, 2017
Brightolanton:

****So graduating from law school is now synonymous yo getting banking job? Ignoramus bigots like you failed to realise that Nigeria law school is a government institution and all Nigerians regardless of creed have equal rights to it while the bank is a private firm. Think before u type fanatic

So did she not know that they have a dress code that's against certain way of dressing regardless of creed and religion?

2 Likes

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by Deicide: 3:02pm On Dec 17, 2017
I need memes
Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by cooljoe(m): 3:03pm On Dec 17, 2017
lazygal:

Did amasu snap on social media ? Nope she challenged It by her actions .and am very sure court is her next move ..

What ever any one wishes to state can never take away this girls courage ..give it to her.. She did what millions could not
so wats ur opinion or stance? she should be allowed to wear. her hijab and be called? if answer is in the affirmative, then I ask, what about them reverend sisters, should they olso be allowed to where their veils? should d Jew be allowed to wear his kufi? don't u think d c2b will look more like a circus if ol ds is allowed? cos surely u can't only permit 4 Muslims alone nd ignore d oda religions, even he/she who practices. African traditional system.

1 Like

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by Mynd44: 3:03pm On Dec 17, 2017
olaremint:
the courts does not intervene in decisions of voluntary associations, fine argument. however if the decisions of voluntary associations amounts to an offence in the land or violations of human rights, can it still be categorized as non interference in the decisions of a voluntary association. If members of the NBA decides to support the disintegration of Nigeria and sponsors Nnamdi Kanu to blow up the Abuja airport , can NBA raise the objection that the court cannot interfere in their affairs . that should be the most mumuish and illogical reasoning have ever come across.

There is a difference between laws of an association and crime

4 Likes

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by Mynd44: 3:05pm On Dec 17, 2017
Sirjamo:
Thank you sir, it's obvious you are a non- Muslim, yet, you did not allow that to becloud your sense of reasoning. Its a must that we defend our fundamental human right, which ever side of the divide we belong to
Answer this simple question.

The National Mosque is built by the FG right?

Can I express my freedom of expression in terms of clothing and wear my shoes into the Mosque? Simple question

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by Nobody: 3:06pm On Dec 17, 2017
Mynd44:

I have said and will keep saying that you guys are just being myopic and bringing your religious sentiments into things

This is a clear issue which shoukd make everyone push for changes in the actions of the law school and ask for a total overhaul of the dresscode totally but you want to make it an Islam thing.

See how far it goes

No religious sentiment required. I defend women's rights/choice to dress half naked, and I will also defend their right/choice to dress modestly. I do not object when colleagues wear risque clothing and yards of human hair, and I expect the same courtesy to be extended to those that choose to be modest or to conceal their hair.

If this can lead to an overhaul of the dress code, so be it. Female lawyers are also not allowed to wear trousers.
Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by babaskool(m): 3:06pm On Dec 17, 2017
ruffDiamond:
SMH...why da fuq should the body of benchers feel offended ?you mean their feelings is above he law.where is the law sef..injustice everywhere .

The body of benchers comprises of the Chief Justice of Nigeria and the 36 other Chief judges of the federation. Tbvh there is nothing you can do against these people, so it's better to go against the lesser bodies council of legal education ( Nigerian Law school ) and the Nigerian Bar Association

1 Like

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by bitchcrafts: 3:07pm On Dec 17, 2017
oyb:

end of. unfortunately for some jokers who like to claim that the first female muslim lawyer in this country was called to bar in 1999, or that muslims are underrepresented in the NBA, neither is the case. politics/democracy is a game of numbers. there are enough influential muslims practicing law in this country to push this thing through. no need for any ambiguity.

It will be discussed and agreed upon. There is no big deal in a woman wearing a scarf to work. Women in other fields are doing it. Law in the end is about logic, not sentiment. Wearing a hijab will not any way impact on a lawyers professional appearance/demeanour.

Kudos to Ms Firdaus
Lobatan! grin
Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by bareal(m): 3:08pm On Dec 17, 2017
Nigerians are so impossible... Gosh!
Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by GavelSlam: 3:08pm On Dec 17, 2017
Mynd44:

Answer this simple question.

The National Mosque is built by the FG right?

Can I express my freedom of expression in terms of clothing and wear my shoes into the Mosque? Simple question

You've settled the matter.

Nigerians are too sentimental.

You must abide by the rules that govern an institution.

Being a lawyer is a privilege and not a right.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lady Sacked Over BBNaija In Asaba, Delta State / Wife's Phone Searched & All Contacts Deleted By Her Boss, Can I Sue Or Not? / Employee Rants On Twitter About Low Pay, Gets Exposed And Fired By Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.