Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,249 members, 7,807,842 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:36 PM

Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) (35092 Views)

Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War / Ajijola Ajimobi Graduates From University Of Warwick, United Kingdom (Photos) / Osinbajo Arrives Birmingham, United Kingdom Ahead Of Warwick Africa Summit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by Ishilove: 6:57pm On Dec 17, 2017
oyb:

Hmmmmmm...
*flutters silky eyelashes*
Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by lookingfly: 7:02pm On Dec 17, 2017
Some people said pmb go school na..... But it seems he has no record or pictures grin cheesy
Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by engrchykae(m): 7:07pm On Dec 17, 2017
Ishilove:

It shows they know the right things to do to develop the country but the Hamitic curse upon the black race will not allow them do it.
there is nothing like hamitic curse.
Cannan grandson of ham was cursed not Ham.
Nimrod son of cush,grandson of ham was a mighty man whom yahweh recognized.
He was the first monarch,an able leader,architect and builder of magnificent buildings and civilizations such as Babylon,nineveh,calah etc.
He organized the sun worship that Roman based Catholics still adhere to today.
Hannibal is the greatest military strategist that the western military still study his military maneuvers.
Noah can't dare to curse Ham.this is because yahweh blessed noah shem ham and japheth after the flood.
So who is a drunk noah to bless whom yahweh have blessed.
Even in noah's drunken state,he knew he could not curse ham whom god have blessed so he decided to curse cannan,ham's grandson.
The much talked about hamitic curse was coined by the slave master to keep the sons of Ham down mentally.
How come the so-called hamitic curse never withhold the Egyptians and Ethiopians from attaining great civilizations.
In fighting the blackman,the west used every weapons including twisting the bible.

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by junta001: 7:29pm On Dec 17, 2017
Oga, na so you whine me con leave me dey message you upandan without any reply embarassed
byemx06:

.3rd mainland bridge was build by babangida

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by ashjay001(m): 7:33pm On Dec 17, 2017
@xtfield, tanx.

I think his being toppled from govt cost him goodwill n his rightful place in history(as a progressive).
Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by oldfoolnigger(m): 7:50pm On Dec 17, 2017
I knew it would be Naptu ..the History man..thanks a multitude for thiskiss

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by laydoh(m): 7:59pm On Dec 17, 2017
victorazyvictor:

he achieved much but propaganda beclouded them all because he is not a Muslim
aw z it because he aint muslim,racist.enlighten md pls
Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by Nobody: 8:19pm On Dec 17, 2017
JamaicanLove:

What about 1992

I was taught history in primary school. We taught about the nationalists and were encouraged to read biographies. I remember reading My Odyssey by Zik in primary six. I have read about Ahmadu Bello, Okoti Eboh, Awolowo. There were books about El Kanem, Benin Kingdom, Oyo Empire... History helps to know where is coming from. Unfortunately, introduction of 6-3-3-4 in 1981 by Shehu Shagari led administration destroyed so many things.
Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by Nobody: 8:21pm On Dec 17, 2017
koropon:

I was taught history in primary school. We taught about the nationalists and were encouraged to read biographies. I remember reading My Odyssey by Zik in primary six. I have read about Ahmadu Bello, Okoti Eboh, Awolowo. There were books about El Kanem, Benin Kingdom, Oyo Empire... History helps to know where is coming from. Unfortunately, introduction of 6-3-3-4 in 1981 by Shehu Shagari led administration destroyed so many things.

So what are you trying to say?
Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by Abdul3391(m): 8:34pm On Dec 17, 2017
ashjay001:

What I wonder is; how come he served for so long, '66-'75, yet nothing memorable has been referred to during his reign? If he was this humble n visionary, during his reign, how come nigeria didnt take giant strides towards developmental progress?
we still remember him for biafra war
Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by Deo1986(m): 8:35pm On Dec 17, 2017
The embarrasment Ojukwu gave him, made him went back to school.
Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by Nobody: 8:41pm On Dec 17, 2017
JamaicanLove:

So what are you trying to say?
Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by byemx06(m): 9:54pm On Dec 17, 2017
junta001:
Oga, na so you whine me con leave me dey message you upandan without any reply embarassed

bros no vex abeg
I dnt want to argue wit u since I dnt have enough evidence to back up my claim

how ur dau

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by byemx06(m): 9:56pm On Dec 17, 2017
junta001:

sorry I remember u nw
baba I dy stay for fagba honestly I dnt have d means u need.......das y I kept mute

I still dy find job self
am very sorry bro

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by Prowess95(m): 10:26pm On Dec 17, 2017
War wick, No wonder that we experienced war during his regime
Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by junta001: 11:06pm On Dec 17, 2017
byemx06:

sorry I remember u nw
baba I dy stay for fagba honestly I dnt have d means u need.......das y I kept mute

I still dy find job self
am very sorry bro

you should have at least responded to my emails , but no kwams sha....all would be well

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by byemx06(m): 11:08pm On Dec 17, 2017
junta001:

you should have at least responded to my emails , but no kwams sha....all would be well

honestly I was short of words
so sorry bro..........I was going through alot that period

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by femolii: 11:24pm On Dec 17, 2017
Ishilove:
You must be an afonja. Only Afonjas defend Gowon tongue grin
Hater,Osu,

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by naptu2: 3:38am On Dec 18, 2017
General Gowon commissions the Kainji Dam, Nigeria's largest dam, in 1969.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiEUBKruDnY

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by naptu2: 3:40am On Dec 18, 2017
General Gowon opens the 2nd All Africa Games at the newly built National Stadium in Lagos in 1973.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI1_WzcOTIQ

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by adedayoa2(f): 7:15am On Dec 18, 2017
ashjay001:

What I wonder is; how come he served for so long, '66-'75, yet nothing memorable has been referred to during his reign? If he was this humble n visionary, during his reign, how come nigeria didnt take giant strides towards developmental progress?
ojukwu wanted to separate Nigeria, Gowon say Nigeria must be one.
Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by adedayoa2(f): 7:15am On Dec 18, 2017
ashjay001:

�ojukwu wanted to separate Nigeria, Gowon say Nigeria must be one. �
Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by AreaFada2: 9:45am On Dec 18, 2017
ashjay001:

Remember that much of his time was taken up by political crisis and civil war. The rebuilding after 1970. Coming out of brutal civil war is not easy for any country.

For me his actual failure was being able to avoid the war as the head of state. Had he prepared better for Aburi conference he would have negotiated an agreement with Dim Ojukwu that both sides would have been happy with.

I guess he was not educated or experienced enough being so young when he became leader at 32. Gen. Femi Ogundipe, 10 years senior and senior in military hierarchy to Gowon might have handled the Biafra crisis better.

Oil price only actually went up in 1973 during Arab-Israeli war and if you ask your older family members they will remember the "Udoji" boom of that era.
Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by AreaFada2: 9:50am On Dec 18, 2017
ashjay001:

Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by AreaFada2: 9:53am On Dec 18, 2017
ashjay001:

Remember that much of his time was taken up by political crisis and civil war. Then rebuilding after 1970. Coming out of brutal civil war is not easy for any country.

For me his actual failure was not being able to avoid the war as the head of state. Had he prepared better for Aburi conference he would have negotiated an agreement with Dim Ojukwu that both sides would have been happy with.

I guess he was not educated or experienced enough being so young when he became leader at 32. Gen. Femi Ogundipe, 10 years senior and senior in military hierarchy to Gowon might have handled the Biafra crisis better.

Oil price only actually went up in 1972/3 during Arab-Israeli war and if you ask your older family members they will remember the "Udoji" boom of that era.
Well maybe Udoji award money could have been better used to invest in the future. But coming from the war just recently, I guess they wanted to splash out a bit. And civil servants enjoyed it. Many buying a car for the first time.grin cheesy

Murtala Mohammed dismantled the decent civil service Gowon left behind. The civil service has never recovered from it till now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by naptu2: 2:20pm On Dec 18, 2017
byemx06:

.3rd mainland bridge was build by babangida

I feel compelled to make this explanation because you are the second person that I've seen in the past week that has claimed that Babangida built the entire Third Mainland Bridge.

Once upon a time traffic flowed from the Mainland onto the Island via Carter Bridge. It was distributed across the Island via Nnamdi Azikiwe Road and Broad Street. Broad Street was the financial capital of Nigeria and Nnamdi Azikiwe Street was the home to several large markets, so, as you can guess, they were plagued with massive traffic jams.

The government concieved the idea of building a ring road around Lagos Island and also building several entrances/exits to/from the Ring Road in order to reduce traffic in Central Lagos.

General Yakubu Gowon was thd head of state at that time, Alhaji Femi Okunnu was the commissioner (minister) for works (he was replaced by Obasanjo in 1974) and Colonel Mobolaji Johnson was the Lagos State governor.

What is Ring Road?

Look at the orange road in the first map below. Ring Road begins at the end of Third Mainland Bridge, at a place known as Adeniji Bus Stop, it goes past Ilubirin, Ikoyi Foreshore, Obalende, Onikan, Marina and ends up back at Adeniji Adele.

Marina used to be a beach, like Unilag Water Front. The government poured concrete on it and turned it into a road. The official name of the road is Ring Road, but people refer to it as "Outer Marina".

There was also a little river that separated Lagos Island from Ikoyi. It was called MacGregor Canal. The government reduced the width of the river, gave it concrete sides (instead of the previous sand banks) and it became the giant gutter that you see at Obalende.

I know people who are still angry with Gowon for converting sand into concrete.

Third Mainland Bridge

The government rebuilt Carter Bridge and built Eko Bridge (which was completed in 1975). The government also had an idea of a bridge that people coming from outside Lagos can use to access Lagos Island. This bridge will substantially bypass the mainland and bring traffic directly on to the Ring Road. It would also decongest Ikorodu Road and the Carter and Eko Bridge.

Serious discussions about the "Third Axial Bridge" began in 1974 or 1975 and the first phase was commissioned by President Shehu Shagari on September 30th, 1980 (to mark Nigeria's 20th anniversary).

The Third Mainland Bridge was being used in the 1980s (before Babangida became president), but you had to get off the bridge at the Ebute Metta/Yaba exit (Look at the second map below. You can see the exit at the place where the words "Third Mainland Bridge" is written). There were barriers across the road that prevented you from going further and when you exit the bridge, you could see the place where the bridge came to an abrupt end.

This meant that you had to take Herbert Macaulay Way and Ikorodu Road if you were going to Ikeja and this also meant that there were massive traffic jams on Herbert Macaulay Way.

I remember the great traffic jam of 1989. Eko Bridge was closed for repairs and everybody had to use either Third Mainland Bridge or Carter Bridge.

There was a Queens College girl in my house and she was meant to come home with the neighbours by 3 o'clock. 3 became 4 and then 5 o'clock and she was not home. I phoned the neighbours and they had no idea what was going on. So my driver and I went in search of the two missing girls. The traffic jam was incredible. We were at a standstill on Third Mainland Bridge and when we eventually got to Herbert Macaulay Way I discovered that people were driving against the flow of traffic and cars were facing each other with no where to go.

Policemen from Adekunle and Sabo police stations were overwhelmed and they just hung around and exchanged jokes with motorists.

We eventually got to Queens College and were told that the girls had already gone home and we went back home, got in after dark to discover that she was already asleep.

Julius Berger extended the bridge by a few metres in 1988 and then abandoned it again.

I'll quote Babangida's speech at the commissioning of the second phase of the bridge in 1990. He said that a new governor was appointed in Lagos and the man came to discuss the Third Mainland Bridge with him. He said that the man kept on coming to his office almost everyday to disturb him about the Third Mainland Bridge. He said that he had to tell his secretary not to allow Governor Rasaki into his office again. He said that he knew that he had to complete the bridge if he wanted peace (Governor Rasaki was laughing behind him).

The bridge was completed in 1990 and in 1991, when the Federal Government was moving from Lagos to Abuja, the section of the bridge from Ebute Metta to Oworonshoki was renamed IBB Bridge (I still have a video of that ceremony).

So you see, Gowon's government conceived the Third Mainland Bridge, Shagari commissioned the first phase and Babangida commissioned the second phase.

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by ashjay001(m): 2:54pm On Dec 18, 2017
AreaFada2:

Remember that much of his time was taken up by political crisis and civil war. Then rebuilding after 1970. Coming out of brutal civil war is not easy for any country.

For me his actual failure was being able to avoid the war as the head of state. Had he prepared better for Aburi conference he would have negotiated an agreement with Dim Ojukwu that both sides would have been happy with.

Oil price only actually went up in 1972/3 during Arab-Israeli war and if you ask your older family members they will remember the "Udoji" boom of that era.
Well maybe Udoji award money could have been better used to invest in the future. But coming from the war just recently, I guess they wanted to splash out a bit. And civil servants enjoyed it. Many buying a car for the first time.grin cheesy

Murtala Mohammed dismantled the decent civil service Gowon left behind. The civil service has never recovered from it till now.

Tanx. Seems I'm learning a lot abt his era. Cant seem to find writings on his achievements, or lack of

Pls, can u confirm, if it was during his era, d groundnut pyramids dissappeared? Heard it was caused by d oil boom?! If truly he knew anything abt it, then, he failed woefully

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tinubu’s Forgery, Electoral Fraud Provoked Mmesoma Into Forgery: Aisha Yesufu / Family Of Kidnapped Alwan Hassan Paid N100m For His Release - DailyNigerian / Lawyers Destroy Registration Booths At NBA Conference, Cart Away Conference Bags

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.