Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,035 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:50 AM

Firdaus Right To Her Religion And Implications On Other Beliefs. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Firdaus Right To Her Religion And Implications On Other Beliefs. (445 Views)

The Rising Cost Of Education And Its Implications On The Youth / Firdaus Has Been Finally Called To Bar ! / Amasa Firdaus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Firdaus Right To Her Religion And Implications On Other Beliefs. by cosby02(m): 11:08pm On Dec 17, 2017
JUSTICE FOR FIRDAUS!!!
While I have been careful not to comment on the trending topic which relates to the moslem lady who was not called to the Bar because she refused to remove her hijab, i have patiently gathered some facts and by now i have formed my opinion which i believe i should share.

First,the law profession is not just a profession for a people with a specific religion, it is a profession for any fit and proper Nigerian, even an idol Worshipper. People have been called before now, Christians and moslems ditto without any grouse being voiced from any quater. Yes! The student has a right to her Religion as enshrined in section 38 of the 1999 Constitution, which wearing her hijab may be interpeted as one of them but i dare say that the freedom of religion envisaged in section 38 of the CFRN cannot be the freedom violated here, ask me why. She was never denied using her hijab or performing her religious rites, she was only asked to comply with an age long requirement for the purpose of being called to the prestigious Bar just for a FEW HOURS! However, assuming without conceeding that her religious rights were violated, then so was the right of a christian Nun and a traditional worshipper at that point in time because all aspirants to the Bar at that moment must be robed strictly on required attires as it has always been. Religion should be personal, to that extent, people should realise that in a multi-religious and supposedly secular society like ours, individual religious beliefs have to be sacrificed in certain circumstances for the overall benefit of all. In this context, there can be no distinction between Christianity, Islam, Traditional Worship and other religions. None is superior to the other.

If we hold the wearing of hijab to Call to Bar as a fundamental right and the denial of same as an infringement, it means that members of the Brotherhood of the Cross and Star, Celestial, Osu worshippers, Rosicrusians, Elkanka, Catholics and other faiths also have the right to wear their peculiar apparel for the Call to Bar. This is the natural and only plausible implication.

Second, part of the requirements of being called to the Bar is the three compulsory dinners which u must take at the law school,the mode of dressing is almost as strict as of the day of call, she obviously complied because she couldn't have made it that far if there was a problem with it.Why now disobey the regulation on d Sacrosanct day of her call? to be a Heroine i guess? Also, writing on the subject, “THE ROLE OF THE LAW SCHOOL IN THE TEACHING OF LEGAL ETHICS AND PROFESSIONAL RESPONSIBILITY,” in the Cleveland State Law Review, Vol 29:377, page 378, as published by EngagedScholarship@CSU, in 1980, WARREN E. BURGER, a former Chief Justice of the United States, had this to say:
“Every law school has a profound duty-and a unique opportunity-to inculcate principles of professional ethics and standards in its students. This duty should permeate the entire educational experience beginning with the first hour of the first day in law school. The failure to do this is, perhaps, even more serious than the failure to relate legal theory to practice.

Third,Would the fight to have the hijab on at the time of her Call to the Bar not be a more reasonable fight if she waited to be Called first and then address the issue later as a Lawyer? Won't it give her voice and opinion more weight?and by the way,(i stand to be corrected) is the hijab not meant to cover the woman's hair? would the Wig not suffice in lieu at least for the pendency of the ceremony?

Fourth as an example,the writer a Christian began his legal education at the College of Arabic and Islamic Legal studies at Ilorin where Arabic was a compulsory course,he not only took it and passed with excellent grade but he was always fasting and praying to Jesus Christ for continual success all through his stay on Campus. He was constantly attending islamic programs and learning about islam,never disriminated and always abiding by the rules which have islamic origins at least to get his goal of a Diploma Certificate and still managed to maintain his religious faith of being a Christian till date.

While our religious sentiments may vary,we must saddle ourselves with speaking the truth irrespective of whomever's ox is gored!

While practising our respective religions, we should not suspend our common sense. Firdaus was not the first moslem lawyer who aspired to be called to the Bar and she would not be the last,let her go and sit down and stop playing both the religion and victim cards,it is sickening!

WHEN YOU ARE IN ROME,U BEHAVE LIKE ROMANS

Ayoola Emmanuel Esq.

(1) (Reply)

VACANCY VACANCY VACANCY - Business Development Leader In Lagos / . / Keep Your Strong Nose Out My Business” – 50cent Blasts A Nigerian Follower

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.