Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,926 members, 7,803,008 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 07:18 AM

6 Valid Tips To Secure Your Social Media Account - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 6 Valid Tips To Secure Your Social Media Account (5833 Views)

New Offer! How To Get MTN 1GB For N200, Valid For 7 Days / Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. / 7 Signs Your Social Media Account Has Been Hacked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Valid Tips To Secure Your Social Media Account by Revolva(m): 4:38pm On Dec 20, 2017
Social media is now an essential part of business and our daily lives. Thus, making it critical that you keep your accounts safe. You can only imagine the damage that will be done if someone gained unauthorised access to your accounts. It can ruin your reputation depending on the content of your account that is exposed to the public. These tips shared by me  should help in keeping your social media accounts safe and secured.

Activate two-factor authentication

The easiest and most effective way to secure your social media account is two-factor authentication. Two-factor authentication locks out illegitimate users by requiring them to input a verification code sent directly to their mobile phone through SMS text message once they login with the correct username and password combination.

Verify with links

Another method to secure your social media accounts it to verify and be careful of what links you click on. Many links on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram direct to legitimate news sources, but there have been numerous incidents when this is not the case.

Use a strong password

This point has been over flogged but some people do not still abide by it. They use weak passwords for their social media accounts and at the same time, they use that password for all their accounts. This is risky as once the weak password is discovered, hackers can have access to all your accounts. You can use a password manager like LastPass to keep track of your passwords.

Use emails that are not public to login

This is an unknown tactic that very few individuals and businesses use. This means logging in to your social network accounts with a non-public email address, or an email that no one knows about.

Limit third-party applications

Another contributor to social media theft are third-party applications. Limiting third-party applications that have access to your social media accounts will leave them near impossible for hackers to gain unauthorised access. 

Be careful where you login

Many malicious attackers create almost identical login pages dedicated to stealing social media credentials. Be careful where you choose to login, always verify the URL and application before allowing any form of access.

1 Like

Re: 6 Valid Tips To Secure Your Social Media Account by kings09(m): 7:39am On Dec 23, 2017
Ok
Re: 6 Valid Tips To Secure Your Social Media Account by Nobody: 7:39am On Dec 23, 2017
angry

∆ Still all these tips go dey crawl when boys are ready to enter you!!! ∆

1 Like

Re: 6 Valid Tips To Secure Your Social Media Account by HABRUZZY(m): 7:39am On Dec 23, 2017
Nice
Re: 6 Valid Tips To Secure Your Social Media Account by bestocrat(m): 7:41am On Dec 23, 2017
Do not vote for APC
Re: 6 Valid Tips To Secure Your Social Media Account by tstx(m): 7:42am On Dec 23, 2017
ok
Re: 6 Valid Tips To Secure Your Social Media Account by AleAirHub(m): 7:42am On Dec 23, 2017
Noted
Re: 6 Valid Tips To Secure Your Social Media Account by baski92(m): 7:50am On Dec 23, 2017
Lol carry 10 good hackers, give them house, food, water, nepa, and generator cos they go need am. I swear 10 years they no go unlock any of my acount, i fit use my gran mother virginity bet am

Re: 6 Valid Tips To Secure Your Social Media Account by amazon14: 7:55am On Dec 23, 2017
bestocrat:
Do not vote for APC

This is a strong password #donotvoteforapc
Try it
Re: 6 Valid Tips To Secure Your Social Media Account by techtip(m): 7:56am On Dec 23, 2017
cul
Re: 6 Valid Tips To Secure Your Social Media Account by wildchild02: 7:59am On Dec 23, 2017
Good

Check my signature to order your football jerseys and get FREE CUSTOMIZATION, YES you heard me right FREE CUSTOMIZATION... X'mas discount is on
Re: 6 Valid Tips To Secure Your Social Media Account by Rebuke: 7:59am On Dec 23, 2017
Wetin I get for my social network account wey dem dey look for na?

Abeg make dem hack o....happy hacking tongue tongue

2 Likes

Re: 6 Valid Tips To Secure Your Social Media Account by ehinmowo: 8:03am On Dec 23, 2017
AIRTEL IS STEALING MY MONEY. AIRTEL IS A FRAUD.
Re: 6 Valid Tips To Secure Your Social Media Account by Chienex24(m): 8:25am On Dec 23, 2017
baski92:
Lol carry 10 good hackers, give them house, food, water, nepa, and generator cos they go need am. I swear 10 years they no go unlock any of my acount, i fit use my gran mother virginity bet am

Noted.....
Re: 6 Valid Tips To Secure Your Social Media Account by MAbdulsamod(m): 8:33am On Dec 23, 2017
Most social media accounts got hacked due to clicking unsafe links. Those links seems to be very abnormal e.g http://DDxytryd.eade.di and many more similar.
Re: 6 Valid Tips To Secure Your Social Media Account by akeentech(m): 9:17am On Dec 23, 2017
There's politics play on nairaland but no problem as long as I'm making my money.
Re: 6 Valid Tips To Secure Your Social Media Account by brightgreat(m): 9:19am On Dec 23, 2017
Airtel is a fraud?

Seems like you were been pursued as you typing this

ehinmowo:
AIRTEL IS STEALING MY MONEY. AIRTEL IS A FRAUD.
Re: 6 Valid Tips To Secure Your Social Media Account by MrMoney007: 10:00am On Dec 23, 2017
Mr Op you didn't explain to them how to verify URL
Re: 6 Valid Tips To Secure Your Social Media Account by pr1nce(m): 12:20pm On Dec 23, 2017
baski92:

I laugh ur life...
Re: 6 Valid Tips To Secure Your Social Media Account by ehinmowo: 3:35pm On Dec 23, 2017
brightgreat:
Airtel is a fraud?

Seems like you were been pursued as you typing this

I dey vex.
Re: 6 Valid Tips To Secure Your Social Media Account by Magna96: 7:54pm On Jan 05, 2018

(1) (Reply)

Samsung Is So Far Gone!!! Can Apple Catch Up?? / The Glo Thread - Share Your Experience / This USB Stick Will Kill Ur Computer/laptop Within Seconds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.