Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,484 members, 7,781,451 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:36 PM

Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 (64747 Views)

Manchester City Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 0) On 9th November 2022 / Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea : EFL Cup (0 - 1) On 12th January 2022 / Manchester United Vs Liverpool (3 - 2) On 24th January 2021 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by Beedude(m): 7:38am On Jan 25, 2018
Dam5reey:

Chelsea is easier to beat than Arsenal
But At Least Man City Vs Arsenal Guarantees An Entertaining Final Unlike Chelshit

2 Likes

Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by Beedude(m): 7:40am On Jan 25, 2018
vislabraye:
As if Arsenal name small team BTW, Mo Man U has not beaten 'conte .
Hmmm. Are U Sure? Re-confirm Abeg
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by omonnakoda: 7:42am On Jan 25, 2018
BushWickBill:

That Arsenal adopts a selling policy does not make it a small club.
Arsenal ticks the boxes for s big club.
Do they make revenue in hundreds of millions of pounds? Yes
Do they have a big stadium with over 60,000 capacity usually filled to the brim? Yes
Do they have a huge global following? Yes
Do they have a history as regards titles? Yes, even though in relation to club's likeUnited and Liverpool they may be inferior but compared to City Chelsea Spurs their history is more illustrious
Arsenal till last year finished in the top four for 19 consecutive seasons. Let that sink in and wonder if a small club can achieve that feat.
I can go on and on.

When Leicester won the title in 2016 everybody knew it probably was a one off and would most likely never happen again. Arsenal went an unimaginable 49 games unbeaten.

That is why I said you should view things in context. If Arsenal with all the above, a global brand, a top six side, is more content with cup finals then it says a lot about how low standards have fallen.
I do agree that to an extent the board is to blame but Wenger cannot excuse himself. He has since lost the hunger for the game and does not appear motivated anymore to launch an assault for the title, hence the fall back to being reduced to a cup team. He cannot attract top talent anymore to the side and can't even weld together a team that can threaten for the title.
Bigness is international not Johnny come lately bigness.

After winning the premiership 3 times there was a chance that Arsenal would become a big club. Building a bigger stadium was a move in that direction but that has reversed. The finest moment was getting to the Champions League final.
Since then it has been backwards ever.

Arsenal are NEARLY a big club. Nearly
E remain small
You are clearly young but some of us followed football BEFORE there was a premiership. Arsenal are a tier 2 club.
Don't know what you mean by

Adopt

They are not trying to win the premiership. The reason Wenger is not being sacked is that winning the premiership is not a target.
His target has been top four and then pretend to want to win the premiership . I am sure they go back in private and have a good laugh about it at the expense of the fans.
The deal is Wenger is the bogeyman for all the fans anger but the reality is that winning the premiership is not a goal of the owners and has not been ever since they started selling Ashley Cole to Chelsea.
Usmanov knows this too well

1 Like

Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by BushWickBill: 8:12am On Jan 25, 2018
omonnakoda:

After winning the premiership 3 times there was a chance that Arsenal would become a big club. Building a bigger stadium was a move in that direction but that has reversed. The finest moment was getting to the Champions League final.

Arsenal are NEARLY a big club. Nearly
E remain small
You are clearly young but some of us followed football BEFORE there was a premiership. Arsenal are a tier 2 club.
Don't know what you mean by

Adopt

They are not trying to win the premiership. The reason Wenger is not being sacked is that winning the premiership is not a target.
His target has been top four and then pretend to want to win the premiership . I am sure they go back in private and have a good laugh about it at the expense of the fans.

The deal is Wenger is the bogeyman for all the fans anger but the reality is that winning the premiership is not a goal of the owners and has not been ever since they started selling Ashley Cole to Chelsea.
Usmanov knows this too well

You are making my point for me sir.

with the emboldened, you still don't want to agree that a certain standard was set previously.

A previously serial contender suddenly lowering its standards. If Dangote decides to ride an okada today, does that take away the fact that he's Africa's richest man?

No matter what we say about Wenger, he has made his mark. Three league titles is nothing to sniff at. Even Jose Mourinho hasn't won more than three league titles.
A club builds a big stadium, the second biggest to daye in the premier league, and you still call it a small club.
With all I said earlier, there's no way you can dismiss Arsenal as a small club. Not with their pedigree.

And please do not disrespect me by bringing my age into this. You don't know me. So you have no right to talk the way you are speaking to me. You are being very disrespectful. You have not managed to counter the facts I Put out about Arsenal. And even if I am young, that does not give you the right to disparage me or my opinions especially since I related to you as an equal.

Unfortunately, we live in this prejudiced society where you cannot offer a differing opinion without being disrespected. So I'm going to end this discussion with you.
Believe whatever you want.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by omonnakoda: 8:18am On Jan 25, 2018
BushWickBill:

You are making my point for me sir.

with the emboldened, you still don't want to agree that a certain standard was set previously.

A previously serial contender suddenly lowering its standards. If Dangote decides to ride an okada today, does that take away the fact that he's Africa's richest man?

No matter what we say about Wenger, he has made his mark. Three league titles is nothing to sniff at. Even Jose Mourinho hasn't won more than three league titles.
A club builds a big stadium, the second biggest to daye in the premier league, and you still call it a small club.
With all I said earlier, there's no way you can dismiss Arsenal as a small club. Not with their pedigree.

And please do not disrespect me by bringing my age into this. You don't know me. So you have no right to talk the way you are speaking to me. You are being very disrespectful. You have not managed to counter the facts I Put out about Arsenal. And even if I am young, that does not give you the right to disparage me or my opinions especially since I related to you as an equal.

Unfortunately, we live in this prejudiced society where you cannot offer a differing opinion without being disrespected. So I'm going to end this discussion with you.
Believe whatever you want.
I agree a standard was set for
NEARLY big club

Since then Chelsea have won the league more times I believe and even won the Championship.
Chelsea are not a big club in my opinion and In my opinion Arsenal are bigger than Chelsea

Anyway Wenger is not responsible for shortcomings, the Management iDid I call Arsenal SMALL?

If I did I take it back but they are not big

Big is Liverpool, Manchester United,
Bayern Munich,
A C Milan
Juventus
Barcelona
Real Madrid

Disrespect?
You are a very sensitive man?deal with it

Very disrespectful
I just highlighted your obvious ignorance of football history.
There is no disrespect in being young so deal with your personal insecurities
Your problem
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by njelrapheal: 8:20am On Jan 25, 2018
optional1:
Lemme siddon here..

Chelsea abeg my nephews birthday gift 3 of them oh.

Chelsea over assnal.

Collinomatric oya come it's Time to fulfil your vows

Modified..

I came here for this match if Chelsea don't take this ehn.. I will buy sex doll for my boyfriend with my savings and post it here..

Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by BushWickBill: 8:26am On Jan 25, 2018
Alighoda2:
you are right, but the problem is that the club is satisfied with such achievements, how do you expect a club that sells her best players to rivals to win a major trophy. the problem is with the board and the coach, until those two sets of people leave that club, arsenal will not progress
You made fair points.

I think that if Dangote decides to ride Keke Marwa, it doesn't take away the fact that he is a rich man. If he decids to relocate to a rented flat instead of his own palatial home, that is his decision.

Arsenal have decided to take the policy of selling its best talent to make money. But in reality they are a great club, in England at least. That they choose not to act that way is down to them for reasons best known to them.

I have listed criteria that makes them a big club in response to other posts. I don't know if you agree or not with me. Their history is more significant than those of Chelsea, Spurs and even City.
There's no denying that Arsenal are a big club. In my view.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by BushWickBill: 8:26am On Jan 25, 2018
omonnakoda:

I agree a standard was set for
NEARLY big club

Since then Chelsea have won the league more times I believe and even won the Championship.
Chelsea are not a big club in my opinion and In my opinion Arsenal are bigger than Chelsea

Anyway Wenger is not responsible for shortcomings, the Management iDid I call Arsenal SMALL?

If I did I take it back but they are not big

Big is Liverpool, Manchester United,
Bayern Munich,
A C Milan
Juventus
Barcelona
Real Madrid

Disrespect?
You are a very sensitive man?deal with it

Very disrespectful
I just highlighted your obvious ignorance of football history.
There is no disrespect in being young so deal with your personal insecurities
Your problem
ignorance?
Please save your ego for your private life.

I did not talk about Europe o. But in your ITK way you went ahead to classify them with Real and co.
I only said Arsenal are a big club in UK. The discussion was about settling for Cup competitions, so stay on point. In your eagerness to impress yourself and appear intelligent you went and started talking out of point.

Use Liverpool as a reason for not winning the league since 2004 all you want. But Arsenal is a big club in the UK at least.

2 Likes

Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by omonnakoda: 8:27am On Jan 25, 2018
BushWickBill:

ignorance?
Please save your ego for your private life.
Guy talk football
Ok
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by omonnakoda: 8:30am On Jan 25, 2018
BushWickBill:

Primma donna, go and sleep.
A supposed elder is hiding behind his club's failures to use it as an excuse. When you point out reasons why they cannot be termed a small club, you are just jumping up and down.

My club? Which is my club?

Was it the same management in place when Arsenal won the league? Do you know the role David Dein played? Was it the same owners?
Was there an Abramovich or Etihad?
There are new ambitious chairmen and Arsenals owners have not kept up
Clearly you are just sounding off ignorantly
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by BushWickBill: 8:31am On Jan 25, 2018
omonnakoda:

Guy talk football
Ok

Primma donna, go and sleep.
A supposed elder is hiding behind his club's failures to use it as an excuse. When you point out reasons why they cannot be termed a small club, you are just jumping up and down.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by BushWickBill: 8:32am On Jan 25, 2018
omonnakoda:
Was it the same management in place when Arsenal won the league? Do you know the role David Dein played? Was it the same owners?
Clearly you are just sounding off ignorantly
David Dein?
Lol.
More excuses.
Even if I wasn't born then, that is as pitiable as you can get.

Arsenal is a big club in the UK. They should do more than reaching Cup finals abeg.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by Alighoda2(m): 8:33am On Jan 25, 2018
BushWickBill:

You made fair points.

I think that if Dangote decides to ride Keke Marwa, it doesn't take away the fact that he is a rich man. If he decids to relocate to a rented flat instead of his own palatial home, that is his decision.

Arsenal have decided to take the policy of selling its best talent to make money. But in reality they are a great club, in England at least. That they choose not to act that way is down to them for reasons best known to them.

I have listed criteria that makes them a big club in response to other posts. I don't know if you agree or not with me. Their history is more significant than those of Chelsea, Spurs and even City.
There's no denying that Arsenal are a big club. In my view.
there is no doubt about that, arsenal has a great history, but clubs like Chelsea has surpass that by winning the champions league, which arsenal could not win.
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by BushWickBill: 8:35am On Jan 25, 2018
theDEVILisHERE:

The owners of a club determine how things are run at a club
This is what they're trying to tell you
If you want to complain, complain about the owners not the manager

Wenger scores more than 90% based on the current club plans, that why he's still there

Oga STFU.
It doesn't negate the fact that Arsenal should be doing more.
If Toyota starts to operate like Innoson, does it remove the fact that they should be doing better?
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by omonnakoda: 8:36am On Jan 25, 2018
BushWickBill:

David Dein?
Lol.
More excuses.
Even if I wasn't born then, that is as pitiable as you can get.

Arsenal is a big club in the UK. They should do more than reaching Cup finals abeg.
First Arsenal is not my club and I agree they are a big club in the UK and should be more ambitious
Have I suggested otherwise at any point?
Liverpool are a big club and have Never won the premiership ditto for Newcastle

1 Like

Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by BushWickBill: 8:38am On Jan 25, 2018
Alighoda2:
there is no doubt about that, arsenal has a great history, but clubs like Chelsea has surpass that by winning the champions league, which arsenal could not win.
Chelsea might be bigger ,but my context is that Arsenal is still a big club.
That they choose to operate in a certain way doesn't change that fact. That is my point.

Man United has been struggling since Ferguson left. Does that reduce their stature as the biggest club in England, and arguably the world?
United win the Europa League, but even their hardcore fans realize that they should be competing for league titles and the Champions League.

1 Like

Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by omonnakoda: 8:44am On Jan 25, 2018
Porto won Champions league that does not make it a big club
Just like winning European Championship does not make Greece a big football nation
The biggest clubs in England are

Liverpool Man United
Arsenal Newcastle
Chelsea Spurs Man City in something like that order
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by BushWickBill: 8:44am On Jan 25, 2018
omonnakoda:

First Arsenal is not my club and I agree they are a big club in the UK and should be more ambitious
Have I suggested otherwise at any point?
Liverpool are a big club and have Never won the premiership ditto for Newcastle
You said they are a "nearly big club".
Those are your words not mine.
Unless comprehension is an issue for you, I really don't see why we are arguing about this.

My point has always been clear. Wenger being justified on the strength of Cup victories and Charity Shield titles is a non starter argument. If you watch Arsenal TV, you would understand what I mean. If he has lost motivation, that is another argument, as is the fact that the board is reluctant to fire him. But in the context of English clubs, you cannot dispute that Arsenal is a big club and should be doing better.

Thierry Henry, Ian Wright and other former Arsenal players turned pundits say the same thing week in, week out. It is only here on the pages of a faceless forum that people think otherwise.
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by BushWickBill: 8:48am On Jan 25, 2018
omonnakoda:
Porto won Champions league that does not make it a big club
Just like winning European Championship does not make Greece a big football nation
The biggest clubs in England are

Liverpool Man United
Arsenal Newcastle
Chelsea Spurs Man City in something like that order

Except that Porto has won Europe's top club competition TWICE. And you call me a young person. Check the facts.

I am not saying anything about footballing nations o. Please stop misquoting me. That is not the argument.
There are football miracles, but they will never happen again. The fact that they happened doesn't change the minnow status of those teams or their nation.
Just like Leicester City and Blackburn Rovers will never be footballing heavyweights on the basis of one premier league title.

Context please.
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by omonnakoda: 8:55am On Jan 25, 2018
BushWickBill:

Unless comprehension is an issue for you, I really don't see why we are arguing about this.

My point has always been clear. Wenger being justified on the strength of Cup victories and Charity Shield titles is a non starter argument. If you watch Arsenal TV, you would understand what I mean. If he has lost motivation, that is another argument, as is the fact that the board is reluctant to fire him. But in the context of English clubs, you cannot dispute that Arsenal is a big club and should be doing better.

Thierry Henry, Ian Wright and other former Arsenal players turned pundits say the same thing week in, week out. It is only here on the pages of a faceless forum that people think otherwise.

Is that all I said. Did I not add an international dimension to bigness? Next thing you will say that you are being disrespected? Why won't you be disrespected when you can't read or distort what you read
There is bigness in England and there is bigness in the world .

Arsenal were on the brink of breaking into the same category as Bayern
In England Newcastle are a big club,bigger than Chelsea or Man City in terms of followership

I have never disputed any of that but that is down to management. The fact that they don't sack him confirms that they are happy.
Is Wenger to sack himself?

Certainly if there is no IQ challenge on your side there should be no arguments
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by omonnakoda: 9:05am On Jan 25, 2018
BushWickBill:

Except that Porto has won Europe's top club competition TWICE. And you call me a young person. Check the facts.

I am not saying anything about footballing nations o. Please stop misquoting me. That is not the argument.
There are football miracles, but they will never happen again. The fact that they happened doesn't change the minnow status of those teams or their nation.
Just like Leicester City and Blackburn Rovers will never be footballing heavyweights on the basis of one premier league title.

Context please.

In order to misquote I must first quote. Where did I quote you in talking about Portobello or Greece ?
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by omonnakoda: 9:05am On Jan 25, 2018
BushWickBill:

omonnakoda:

Who has the comprehension problem

I went on to list the clubs that I consider big so clearly for me bigness is about clubs like Barca Bayern AC Milan,Juventus and Madrid.

Arsenal were nearly in that category.
But internationally they are one notch down

Comprende?
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by BushWickBill: 9:09am On Jan 25, 2018
omonnakoda:

Who has the comprehension problem

I went on to list the clubs that I consider big so clearly for me bigness is about clubs like Barca Bayern AC Milan,Juventus and Madrid.

Arsenal were nearly in that category.
But internationally they are one notch down

Comprende?
Save all this dust.
Is Arsenal a big club or not?
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by BushWickBill: 9:10am On Jan 25, 2018
omonnakoda:

In order to misquote I must first quote. Where did I quote you?

Where did Porto and Greece come into this argument?
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by omonnakoda: 9:12am On Jan 25, 2018
BushWickBill:

Where did Porto and Greece come into this argument?
Did I direct that at you? Must you react to everything I say?
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by omonnakoda: 9:14am On Jan 25, 2018
BushWickBill:

Save all this dust.
Is Arsenal a big club or not?
do you pay me a monthly salary? Don't be stupid.
Do I work for you? You and who are doing question and answer?
Go back and read all my posts if you want my opinion

1 Like

Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by Adeyeancah(m): 10:03am On Jan 25, 2018
Luxuryconsult:
u no know wetin u dey talk oga.. every team was beaten conte in his first 4 matches or so till he changed 2 d 3 - 4 - 3 formation. And his first meeting with baba after he changed d formation, he trashed baba 3 to 1.. it was only after baba copied his formation against him dat uncle was able 2 play 0 - 0 with chelsea one man down.. And then they became mate since then that he can beat them anyhow in FA.
May I come in? Conte's first game with baba ended 3-0 at d Emirates, Arsenal won, na dat process chelsea went on to win 13 straight wins, 2nd leg 3-1 in favour of chelsea, only Conte's win against baba, Facup 2-1 baba won, Community shield na Penalty Arsenal won, Then 0-0 at d bridge this season then 2-2 at d Emirates, 0-0 in Carling and yesterday 2-1
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by Adeyeancah(m): 10:06am On Jan 25, 2018
Towbaba500:
twas 4-1not 3-1
it was 3-1 pls
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by hermesprogidy(m): 11:19am On Jan 25, 2018
Rather interesting exchange @omonnakoda and @bushwickbill. Clearly you both are very intelligent and passionate football fans. Allow me to wade in.
- is Arsenal a big club? It depends on context. If you go by their local and international fan base, revenue, and history. Yes they are a big club. They may not have won a champions league, but they are still considered a big club, both locally and internationally.

- Should Arsenal be content with winning just local cup competitions? No they shouldn't. They should be gunning for the league and European cups. They are a big club.
- Who is to blame for the club's present predicament? First, the Arsenal Board, then closely followed by Arsene Wenger himself. They both lack ambition and are only interested in profits. Throw in the fact that Wenger personally detests the fact that footballers earn so much money coupled with a frugal board, is a recipe for under-achievement in today's football arena.

3 Likes

Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by slimtosin(m): 12:28pm On Jan 25, 2018
HAH:
they said you people want to buy peter crouch

I heard that but I am sure its a rumour and besides we have alot of thing to change in squad,even Alonso are moses need rest
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by Rasbel(m): 12:39pm On Jan 25, 2018
hermesprogidy:
Rather interesting exchange @omonnakoda and @bushwickbill. Clearly you both are very intelligent and passionate football fans. Allow me to wade in.
- is Arsenal a big club? It depends on context. If you go by their local and international fan base, revenue, and history. Yes they are a big club. They may not have won a champions league, but they are still considered a big club, both locally and internationally.

- Should Arsenal be content with winning just local cup competitions? No they shouldn't. They should be gunning for the league and European cups. They are a big club.
- Who is to blame for the club's present predicament? First, the Arsenal Board, then closely followed by Arsene Wenger himself. They both lack ambition and are only interested in profits. Throw in the fact that Wenger personally detests the fact that footballers earn so much money coupled with a frugal board, is a recipe for under-achievement in today's football arena.

I barely post comments on threads here, however, great minds like you and the two gentlemen you quoted up there remain my attraction. The matter, analysis and rebuttals in your arguments are top notch. Kudos.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Nairaland Fantasy Premier League 2012/2013 / Chelsea Vs Arsenal (2 - 0) On 19th September 2015 / Liverpool Vs Roma: UCL (5 - 2) On 24th April 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.