Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,544 members, 7,808,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:49 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 - Travel (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 (1162227 Views)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 6 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 6 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (452) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by zoemummy: 7:59pm On Jan 16, 2018
For ticket hunters, GT is running a promo with Qatar...40 off prices. Ends today. Promo code is NGGTBGT.

Just learnt about it.

You need to pay with a GT master card though.

Also, check the terms and conditions on the Qatar website.

Enjoy.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jan 16, 2018
Awesome777:
I want to appreciate everyone who shared their stories on this platform, it has been so helpful.

I seek your advice, it is actually urgent. My due date is in March and am looking at giving birth in the US but am on visiting visa at the moment.

What are my chances right now? Is it still possible to write a change of intent letter, if it is possible, I will be glad if someone can work me through this process.

Expecting your reply.

A popular question...please see a comprehensive response below from Oga abanzi. I think it will apply for mamas who didn't know they were pregnant at interview or who got pregnant after interview. My personal favourite is option 1.

@abanzi copyright grin

All the best.

abanzi:

Safest Option - Fill another DS-160 and schedule another interview to declare your intention of child birth. This option gives you more confidence at POE and increases your visa renewal chances in the future.

Next Option - If possible, travel for a vacation with the visa before travelling for child birth. With this option, be prepared for possible drilling at POE for child birth trip. Also, chances of getting visa renewed subsequently is reduced as several people that have done this option have been denied recently after being called for interview following dropbox application.

Last Option - Travel for child birth with visa. But be prepared for possible drilling at POE which can be quite stressful. Chances for getting visa renewed subsequently is greatly reduced.

Generally, it appears the VOs have seen an increasing trend in people getting pregnant after getting VISAs and seem to be on the look out for such trends with high visa renewal denials following non-declaration of intent to use visa for medical purpose including childbirth. If there is any likelihood that you would use a visa for childbirth subsequently after a planned vacation, declare this intent even if you are not pregnant at the interview and ensure it is documented.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by akplatnum2005(m): 8:33pm On Jan 16, 2018
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Awesome777: 9:47pm On Jan 16, 2018
Thank you for your response Mamaron

Do you think the SafestOption is the best for me considering the fact that am due in March, will I be able to secure an earlier date for the interview?

mamaron:

A popular question...please see a comprehensive response below from Oga abanzi. I think it will apply for mamas who didn't know they were pregnant at interview or who got pregnant after interview. My personal favourite is option 1.

@abanzi copyright grin

All the best.

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Ykjegz: 9:51pm On Jan 16, 2018
Dior09:

Hi Dior,

I guess you are in Houston already. How did you sort accommodation, I am in deer need of one. Any referrals

It's hospital fee alone. You pay doctor and Pediatrician separately. Please note that you can pay the old price which is 2,750 and 3,950 respectively if you don't go with the new quotation.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Awesome777: 9:54pm On Jan 16, 2018
Thank you Dere5

Plenty of cash would be what amount?

dere5:

The ideal scenario would be to use the visa for what it was issued for,but if you must make the trip then the issue would now be with visa renewal. If you are still bent on making the trip after all said and done,then you have to write the change of intent letter, get Dr & hospital correspondence and then hold plenty of cash to show at Poe to convince them that you can pay your bills.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jan 16, 2018
Awesome777:
Thank you for your response Mamaron

Do you think the SafestOption is the best for me considering the fact that am due in March, will I be able to secure an earlier date for the interview?

When I did mine, my original interview date was about 6 weeks from the time I was scheduling but I applied for expedited.....for that you need US doctor's letter, Nigerian's letter and proof of funds as per the website.

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-niv-expeditedappointment.asp
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by ozymes: 11:09pm On Jan 16, 2018
Please call SSA on 866-563-9310 for SSN. Be ready to answer security questions which you must pass.
meadows:
Hello everyone in d house, pls I really need ur help ooh, I put to Birth on d 23 of December last year, and up till this moment LO SSN has not been posted to me.. Pls I need to know where I can do her Nigeria passport, am currently in Houston Texas, pls I will really appreciate it if I get a quick response.. Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by captain90210(m): 12:03am On Jan 17, 2018
Hello guys, for a DH accompanying his DW for childbirth. Which category works best for DH. B1/B2 (business & tourism: temporary visitor) or B2 (Tourism/Medical treatment).
I know DW should be B2

Thanks for your response
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by peacenigeria: 12:30am On Jan 17, 2018
akplatnum2005:
Good day mothers/gentlemen in the house. I urgently need a hospital and doctor contact in NYC. Please this is very urgent.
akplatnum2005 @ yahoo .com

NY is not too poplular due to extremely high cost
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by ladeonas: 12:46am On Jan 17, 2018
captain90210:
Hello guys, for a DH accompanying his DW for childbirth. Which category works best for DH. B1/B2 (business & tourism: temporary visitor) or B2 (Tourism/Medical treatment).
I know DW should be B2

Thanks for your response

My DH also did B2.

All the best
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Boladami: 1:24am On Jan 17, 2018
Hello House,please I need urgent hospital contact for Pennsylvania.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by captain90210(m): 2:41am On Jan 17, 2018
Thanks a bunch
ladeonas:

My DH also did B2.

All the best
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Thridbaby: 6:26am On Jan 17, 2018
Good morning house. please I will like to know the amount I can lodge in an hotel very close to Lagos embassy Lekki. Amount & address pls. thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by akplatnum2005(m): 7:14am On Jan 17, 2018
peacenigeria:

NY is not too poplular due to extremely high cost

i got one with about $38k estimate in NYC. i dont mind Texas pls. any doctor/hospital contact please. urgent! akplatnum 2005 @ yahoo.com
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Maggiespecial(f): 8:18am On Jan 17, 2018
Thridbaby:
Good morning house. please I will like to know the amount I can lodge in an hotel very close to Lagos embassy Lekki. Amount & address pls. thanks

I was abt writing this too. Please anyone that know a good and affordable hotel dt is very close to d embassy to please let us know. Or any apartment dt someone can stay for 10days because I dnt intend going bk to my place after d interview b4 traveling because I am from upcountry (meaning not based in Lagos). Please help somebody biko. Thank you
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Maggiespecial(f): 8:22am On Jan 17, 2018
akplatnum2005:

i got one with about $38k estimate in NYC. i dont mind Texas pls. any doctor/hospital contact please. urgent! akplatnum 2005 @ yahoo.com

It's not possible. I am going to New York to give birth and I am not going to spend more dan $12k (including flight tickets, doctor charges, feeding, accommodation etc.) kindly do ur research very well ooo

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by shadetwins: 8:49am On Jan 17, 2018
Maggiespecial:

It's not possible. I am going to New York to give birth and I am not going to spend more dan $12k (including flight tickets, doctor charges, feeding, accommodation etc.) kindly do ur research very well ooo
@Maggiespecial please your findings. I will really appreciate it if you could share your findings
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Zeenayah: 9:16am On Jan 17, 2018
I find it very odd that we intend to spend $10,000 or more on going to give birth in America and yet find it so so hard to put a N500 card on their phone and make phone calls to hospitals every week till they find a cost effective hospital to give birth.
This lazy approach to just sending pms or dropping messages urgent I need a hospital in bla bla is not the best. Pls send me the contact of your doctor and hospital. Treat this as a project and stop giving yourself excuses.

We want things to be done for us all the time and 90% of the questions asked are already answered on various parts of this thread.
It just takes research. Type hospitals in Texas, Chicago, Virginia, Pennsylvania in the search bar and narrow it down to the travel section and read. Everytime we all just want to use one particular hospital because that is the cheap one according to somebody, we end up scaring the hospital and they double their prices.

Go on google, type hospitals in Maryland, you would get a list, note it down and start calling them one by one. When you get home from work, it is lunch time in America if it is 8-8:30 or 9-9:30 you dedicate to it, call 3 hospitals every evening on the list you get off google, ask to speak with the financial counselor if you don't find an email address on the hospital's website and make your enquiries, collect their email and send a mail for correspondence purpose. By the time you spend 3 weeks calling 3 hospitals per night, you would get something in your budget range.

All this pming someone especially when you are not even active on the thread is just weird. I was on this thread for 6 months as a guest, I didn't need to pm anybody and I got all the information I needed after reading from part 3 to 5 and reached out to over 50 hospitals from NY to Texas to Chicago etc.

Do your homework, you would be confident at POE. I would do my best to respond to most PMs but if I don't respond to you, it is probably because I have not seen your moniker on this thread and I wont just dish out information I spent months gathering to any agent.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Zeenayah: 9:25am On Jan 17, 2018
Na wa o. JFK that people spend less than 5 mins at POE and breeze out. I still spoke to like 3 people who passed JFK in December.

Anyway, maybe her travel history shows that she tends to stay for long periods when she travels so the lady assumed she was lying and wants to work ... or maybe not.

Considering that she got the visa for the specific purpose, one would expect the officer at the embassy would have put the information on her file. Anyway, she may have to just reapply and go for an interview and explain all that happened and this time confirm from the officer that her purpose of visiting the US is clearly documented on their system.

The psychological stress sef.. May God answer her prayers

kayvine4u:

JFK and yes she had the hospital correspondence with her but the officer said she didn't want to see any docs
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Awesome777: 10:49am On Jan 17, 2018
Thank you so much.

mamaron:

When I did mine, my original interview date was about 6 weeks from the time I was scheduling but I applied for expedited.....for that you need US doctor's letter, Nigerian's letter and proof of funds as per the website.

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-niv-expeditedappointment.asp
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by NIFES(f): 10:50am On Jan 17, 2018
Thridbaby:

Try booking.com
Put Lekki/American Embassy(Eti Osa) as destination and it will give you lots of options with their respective prices.
*Modified;
You can sort by price to get range from cheapest upwards.
Cheers

4 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by akplatnum2005(m): 11:17am On Jan 17, 2018
Maggiespecial:

sorry my mistake (typo error). it is actually $28k deposit. now wonder what the final bill will look like.

@Zeenayah, not all seeking info here are broke, lazy or like to be spoon feed. attachment bellow was not gotten from oshodi market so if you cant help, please jump and pass.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Supernaturalone: 11:26am On Jan 17, 2018
I arrived Texas on 24 Nov (shared my POE experience at the time). Had my first appointment with Dr Fagbohun on Tuesday, 28 Nov. I was scheduled for level II ultrasound and some additional tests (no additional payment for these). Dr Fagbohun has 3 different locations, so I ended up visiting the 3 locations depending on what day my weekly appointments were scheduled for and which location he was meant to be. I registered at Oakbend on 04 Dec after my level II ultrasound and paid $3950 for CS.

Dr F scheduled my CS for Friday, 22 Dec and was asked to come in on Friday morning for prepping. My baby girI subsequently arrived at 3.21pm. My husband was around for the delivery as well as my 2 other kids and had to travel back a few days after. On Saturday evening, it was discovered that she had jaundice so she had to be moved to the NICU for phototherapy. I was meant to be discharged on Sunday, but when the Dr realized my baby was still on admission, she asked me to stay till Monday. My baby was discharged on Monday, 25 Dec after the Dr from Sunrise (Pediatrician) said the bili (jaundice) level had dropped. Good experience overall at Oakbend. Before I left, I paid Sunrise bill (the account person usually comes around). They usually charge $280 for 1st day and $200 for subsequent days and give 20% discount; so I should have paid $544 but because my baby was in NICU, my total bill came to $2224 after 20% discount. They charge $1500 for 1st day and $500 for subsequent days. Got zero balance letter in the hospital. I was asked, which Pediatrician I was using for follow up visits. I was given a list of pediatricians in the area but I really had no basis for selecting at random and there was none particularly close to my residence. As I didn’t know any other, I decided to continue with Sunrise. I think Sunrise are pricey though. I paid $125 for the first visit (4 days after discharge) $100 for 2nd visit (2 week check) the 3rd visit (one month) would cost me $150 if I go. If I had known, I would have looked for a cheaper option, as my baby was not even seen by the Dr on both visits at Sugarland location but by some other medical person. Newborn screening is done before you leave the hospital and a subsequent one ordered at the 2-week visit, which required blood work to be done and I had to go back to the hospital; got this done at West Houston because Oakbend was pricey i.e. $100+ vs $30 or so.

For my baby purchases, I did most of it on Amazon, which worked well for me. I did not have the energy to start going around stores, so online shopping for me. I set up a registry and put all my items in there. Amazon gives you a 10% discount on all items in the registry. For prime members, you get 15%. When it comes to most baby gear, I usually find Amazon prices to be very competitive – car seat, stroller, breast pump, name it. I also bought diapers and wipes, for which you get 20% off diaper prices and 15% off wipes, through their subscribe and save program – best deals I’ve seen on huggies.

I completed paperwork for birth certificate before I left on 25 Dec and picked up birth certificate from Fort Bend County on Friday, 29 Dec - $23 per copy (they don’t accept checks and will charge a small fee if you pay with card). I received SSN the following week. Booked appointment online for US passport at the Agency for 08 Jan. My husband was around for that so no need for consent letter. He picked up the next day. Expedited costs $165 in all – they accept most forms of payment. I had to retake my baby’s passport photo at the agency because the one I took at Walgreens was not accepted. I don’t understand why passport photos are so expensive. Walgreens charged me $16+ for 2 copies while the one I retook at the agency cost $20. I made sure I collected my money back from Walgreens since theirs was not accepted. I have called BA to add my baby to my ticket and applied for VOA on Thurs, 11 Jan, got an acknowledgement the next day and still waiting to hear from them.

After discharge, I paid for the Anesthesia bill over the phone ($1500) and also Brown & Associates ($143). I’ve got zero balance letters from Oakbend, Dr F and US Anesthesia. Just realized now that I don’t have anything from B&A yet, will have to chase up on that.

Now, to a big issue I experienced here. At my baby’s first follow up visit, on Fri 29 Dec, the medical person ordered blood work to be done to check the jaundice level again. I went to Oakbend and had to pay $111 just for blood work! Anyway, the Dr called me that Friday night to say the jaundice level had spiked again and I had to take her to ER at Texas Children’s Hospital that night. So I bundled her and my sister and her husband took us to Texas Children’s at Katy. They ran another test on her and said it had gone up again within those few hours and said they would have to move her to their main campus at the medical center. That’s how they got an ambulance and hooked up my little girl and took us to main campus where she was admitted to NICU IV and under phototherapy treatment. I was going to visit her daily as could not stay in the hospital. Thankfully she responded well and the Drs there said they had to keep her until the levels come very low, so it won’t rebound. She was discharged on 01 January. After discharge, I started calling for the bill but the hospital said it will take some time to finalise. I have now been advised of a bill of $2k+ for Dr and $16k+ for the hospital. We are still speaking plenty English till now! But I’m trusting God for favour all the way as this can naturally destabilize a person. I’m scheduled to travel back to Lagos next week.

So this is my missionary story! The Bible says in everything, give thanks. I thank God we are alive and well and it will all end in greater praise.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Zeenayah: 11:42am On Jan 17, 2018
We know your type. No point.
I searched hospitals in new York on the thread, saw where Wyckoff heights medical center in new York was mentioned and I googled the hospital, found an email address on their site and sent an email.

Hello,
Good day. I am an out of town patient and would like to enquire about the hospital charges/cost for maternity services specifically labour and delivery at the Wyckoff Heights Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York.
I am not insured for obstetrical services nor am I entitled to any government aid and thus I am a self pay patient.
Please can you provide me with the package/cost for patients who are uninsured i.e. Self-Pay patients and I would also like to enquire if there is a discount for cash paying patients?
I would like to know what services the bill would cover or exclude such as physician services or otherwise and any physicians attached to the hospital that can be contacted for a quote if not included in the quote.
I would appreciate the prices for Vaginal Delivery and C-Section Delivery as well.
Thanks for your time.
Looking forward to your response soon

and I got the response below:

Good morning to you,
Thank you for your interest in Wyckoff Heights Medical Center. Attached you will find the maternity costs for our facility. In that file is the number to the Women’s Health Clinic. You can give them a ring when you’re ready to book your appointment. When you do so I would then need the following information listed below. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.
:Please note our fees are no negotiable and are not subsidized to any reductions.
After booking an appointment I’ll need the following information from you:
Your full name: First, Middle, Last or just First and Last if you don’t have a middle name
Date of birth
Date & Time of appointment
Doctor’s name you’re scheduled with (You can ask the receptionist the name for this info)
Thank you,
Lexus

Maternity costs
Normal vaginal delivery
•$9500.00
This fee includes hospital fee for 2 day stay for mother and infant.
• Physician fee related to the delivery.
• Anesthesia costs for an epidural.
• Pediatrician costs during admission.

Cesarean Section
•$15,000.00
This fee includes hospital stay for 3 days for mother and infant.
• Physician fee related to the procedure.
• Anesthesia costs for the procedure.
• Pediatrician costs during admission.

Multiple Birth pregnancies
•$11,000.00 for a vaginal delivery of twin babies.
•$17,500.00 for a cesarean section of twin babies.
This includes all of the above inclusions as well as the extra nursery and pediatrician costs.
•Please note any multiple births beyond twins will be discussed further with our OB Chairman to determine costs.
**Please note that admission into the NICU is not included in the package.**
Women’s Health Center
•$130.00 per visit
Includes Physician fee for visit
•Any tests such as lab work, x-ray’s, etc. done on an outpatient basis will be charged per test according to our self-pay fee schedule.
The phone number to the Women’s Health Center 718-486-4155

Did I intend to go to New York to give birth? Not really but was I proactive about exploring my options.... Yes... and do I have about 20 other correspondences because I chose that approach? Yes... Do I feel more confident now that am travelling next week.. Yes. Does it mean I wont be turned back at POE? Nope End of... drops mic

akplatnum2005:

sorry my mistake (typo error). it is actually $28k deposit. now wonder what the final bill will look like.

@Zeenayah, not all seeking info here are broke, lazy or like to be spoon feed. attachment bellow was not gotten from oshodi market so if you cant help, please jump and pass.

8 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by afrobrown2000: 12:28pm On Jan 17, 2018
pls just us google map search for SS office near you call that number or just go there...they will sort it out...mine was ready but not dispated...it came in that same week....but if you call the head office they will tell you to wait for 6 to 8 weeks...
ozymes:
Please call SSA on 866-563-9310 for SSN. Be ready to answer security questions which you must pass.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by afrobrown2000: 12:34pm On Jan 17, 2018
its possible to spend more than that .....but with a good research and referral from some that has used the hospital that suits your budget your fine
Maggiespecial:

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by ogemele(m): 1:03pm On Jan 17, 2018
I completed paperwork.

Now, to a big issue I experienced here. At my baby’s first follow up visit, on Fri 29 Dec, the medical person ordered blood work to be done to check the jaundice level again. I went to Oakbend and had to pay $111 just for blood work! Anyway, the Dr called me that Friday night to say the jaundice level had spiked again and I had to take her to ER at Texas Children’s Hospital that night. So I bundled her and went to Texas Children’s at Katy. They ran another test on her and said it had gone up again within those few hours and said they would have to move her to their main campus at the medical center. That’s how they got an ambulance and hooked up my little girl and took us to main campus where she was admitted to NICU IV and under phototherapy treatment. Thankfully she responded well and the Drs there said they had to keep her until the levels come very low, so it won’t rebound. She was discharged on 01 January. After discharge, I started calling for the bill but the hospital said it will take some time to finalise. I have now been advised of a bill of $2k+ for Dr and $16k+ for the hospital. We are still speaking plenty English till now! But I’m trusting God for favour all the way as this can naturally destabilize a person. I’m scheduled to travel back to Lagos next week.

Tnk God for safe delivery. Keep calling them and let them know u r self paid i think the price wud definitely come down.
Pls did u u consent letter from embassy in nig? [b][/b]
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Thridbaby: 2:40pm On Jan 17, 2018
NIFES:

Try booking.com
Put Lekki/American Embassy(Eti Osa) as destination and it will give you lots of options with their respective prices.
*Modified;
You can sort by price to get range from cheapest upwards.
Cheers
OK thanks, will do just that.

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (452) (Reply)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.