Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,570 members, 7,801,626 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:43 PM

Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians (61873 Views)

More Reactions From Nigerians As Buhari Says "Edo Central" While He's In Ondo / Reactions From Nigerians As NLC Calls Off Strike / Patience Jonathan's Christmas Dress Compared To A Fowl (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by Reference(m): 1:34pm On Dec 25, 2017
Though reminiscence is a potent tool for political pressure on a sitting government but in this case it is becoming a bit too much. If we castigate the government for blaming all the present ills on the past administration then we ought to shrink that battle ground by moderating the comparisons with the past also when it comes to better times. Even the bible tacitly warns against living in the past as unwise. So can we move on on both sides of the argument and debate solutions to the present predicament instead.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by FRESHG(m): 1:37pm On Dec 25, 2017
madridguy:
Thanks GEJ.
shocked
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by maestroferddi: 1:37pm On Dec 25, 2017
If we value the happiness we had as a people before the mistake of 2015, then all Nigerians of every persuasion must rise up and REJECT perpetuation of suffering, division and calluousness in 2019.

Time to do something is now...
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by israelmao(m): 1:38pm On Dec 25, 2017
As for Jonathan I'm ready to take a long trek as long to the end of the earth.I love you and there's nothing haters,who troubled your then government for tribal,religious,selfish,invindictive,and hypocritical reasons can do about it.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by Nobody: 1:39pm On Dec 25, 2017
Iamzik:

Bros what about obasanjo administration when crude was selling at 23per barrel?

Stop making excuses for cluelesness bubu

What about the relative value of the naira between now and then?

Plus, OBJ' presided over rising oil prices...from $23-$60. Something of a boom economy then....though the economy was bad..and we were told during his first term that 'fixing the mess left by the army was going to take tiiime'.

And by the way, you missed my point. This is not about obj vs gej vspmb...but about our oil dependency. You want cheap rice, you need more dollars,...and the only way for Nigeria to get more is by becoming an industrial economy....which is why i am not happy with this current govt or the PDP .No plans whatsoever for that.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by VellyG(m): 1:40pm On Dec 25, 2017
9jakohai:
There is a simple explanation, and no i am not defending the govt.

1.During GEJ'S govt, the oil price was $94-120. That meant we had enough dollars to buffer the naira...and as a result the value of the naira was stronger..meaning we needed fewer naira to import rice.

2.Now, during Old Man Bubu's govt, the price of oil has fallen to $28-65. This means we have less dollars to buffer the naira, and the value falls.Meaning we need more naira to import the rice.

3.If oil jumps up to $100 again, rice prices will fall...see1 .

4.What does this mean?

a)INCREASE DOMESTIC RICE PRODUCTION...via mechanised farming and irrigation

b)Get other sources of dollars...ie industrialization., industrialization.

Fin.
Common get out with this your analysis. This govt has failed simple. Even a 10yr old knows

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by irynterri(f): 1:41pm On Dec 25, 2017
9jakohai:

1.During GEJ'S govt, the oil price was $94-120. That meant we had enough dollars to buffer the naira...and as a result the value of the naira was stronger..meaning we needed fewer naira to import rice.

2.Now, during Old Man Bubu's govt, the price of oil has fallen to $28-65. This means we have less dollars to buffer the naira, and the value falls.Meaning we need more naira to import the rice.

4.What does this mean?

Fin.
the problem is more like exchange rate of the dollars, if you would need 2M to set up a rice processing plant in GEJ's time you would now need 5M to set it up not to talk about maintenance
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by Nobody: 1:43pm On Dec 25, 2017
VellyG:

Common get out with this your analysis. This govt has failed simple.

Go and read my post again slowly....and focus on my no 4 point...and you will see that i do not exonerate the govt...i criticize it.

Our economy is over-reliant on the price of crude. We have to get off the vicious cycle.

I am no GEJ or Bubu worshiper. Sorry.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by loomer: 1:45pm On Dec 25, 2017
FILEBE:
This too shall pass. Some people are just unfortunate to be in the wrong(right) place at the wrong time. I don't like Buhari's attitude towards fulani killings. He has not come out to caution his brothers. Every now and then, i hear these Hausas say they are children of Buhari and nothing can be done with them. A fight broke out between a Niger water seller and an Hausa water seller. You need to come see this fight. I swear this people get mind for fight . They were lifting each other up, one turned his back explaining cause of the fight when the other hit him with a strong stick on his neck. He used the edge. I was shocked.
All i hear the Niger guy saying was it won't be better for Buhari and blah blah blah. This aggravated the Hausa more. His fellow Hausas stopped by and were trying to shush the Niger guy for insulting Buhari. Mind you, Insulting Buhari wasn't the cause of the the fight but i am sure the Hausa guy must have said, "nothing will happen to me, i be Buhari pickin".

Apc and pdp have nothing good to offer Nigerians. Come 2019, let us surprise these people and vote neither of their candidates. They are not the only one contesting! Yes. Our votes count. Accord party won a constituent in LAGOS, so did pdp. Who would have thought that? 2019, we have the power against these one percenters.

Buhari wey never apologise for the killings on his behalf of 2011 na the one wey no concern am u want am to apologise for. Una get long way to wait
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by rolams(m): 1:46pm On Dec 25, 2017
THE MAIN MAN!
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by mohlanforex: 1:46pm On Dec 25, 2017
Buhari 4 you

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by Iseoluwani: 1:47pm On Dec 25, 2017
nely:
Thank you GEJ, now we understood what you meant in 2015,that we will celebrate you when you leave office, please on behalf of my fellow Nigerians we are sorry

I send you?

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by Nobody: 1:49pm On Dec 25, 2017
irynterri:
the problem is more like exchange rate of the dollars, if you would need 2M to set up a rice processing plant in GEJ's time you would now need 5M to set it up not to talk about maintenance

Yes, and we are getting less dollars to buffer the naira because...oil fell from $110 in 2013 to $30 in 2016 to $64 now.

That is where i get annoyed with this govt. They should announce measures to drive our industrial growth..like taking loans in conjunctioon with the DiSCOS and GENCOS to fix power, move faster with railways, remove subsides, especially in the oil sector so that we can have foreign investment driving the oil sector..and so on.

But no...oil is going to rise again!..not.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by yeyeboi(m): 1:50pm On Dec 25, 2017
Bro you are on your own. If you like claim zombie or BMC na u sabi

Bollinger:

Another problem in a long line of problems. Nigerians do not understand what leadership means hence their penchant for always idolizing the wrong one's. So, let's break down your logic. A bag of rice during Abacha's time was around N800 to N1000. Fuel was around N20 or 30N. With your way of thinking are you now saying Abacha is amongst the "greatest" (whatever that means) leaders in Nigeria? NIGERIANS; STOP USING YOUR STOMACHS TO DO YOUR THINKING FOR YOU. The real cause of your problems is right there in front of you but hunger and desperation no wan let una see road. What a people. Smh.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by Bollinger(m): 1:53pm On Dec 25, 2017
yeyeboi:
Bro you are on your own. If you like claim zombie or BMC na u sabi

Suffer no good i swear. Kai. Smh.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by Alanzazani: 1:55pm On Dec 25, 2017
This government is so visionless and that is my annoyance. Leaders that can project into the future are moving away from crude oil. What is Nigeria doing? Spending scare resources that would have being used to diversify this economy exploring for this crude oil that will soon loose value. Look at the UAE example. Oil was used as a means of diversification. These ancestors ruling us know nothing aside crude oil. No vision no long term plan. Oh Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by Tecno66: 1:55pm On Dec 25, 2017
princechurchill:
To my Muslim friends Merry Xmas and also rejoice with us over the declaration of Jerusalem as Israel's capital
You sabi find trouble. Lion dey sleep you dey go touch am whether he done die. Na you sabi o.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by dominique(f): 1:56pm On Dec 25, 2017
9jakohai:

True.

Anyone who lived or heard of the 'oil boom era' of 1973-82, and how things fell apart after the crash of 1982...could have seen this coming.

This is what happens for any economy based on just one source of revenue.

If GEJ had won, things won't have gotten better...neither would Buhari have improved things if he appointed his ministers as soon as he took office.

My annoyance with the PMB govt though is that they did not tell Nigerians that we have to get off our overt reliance on oil...and that getting there involves some hard choices. Instead, they are waiting for oil to go above 100 USD...hopefully the 120 needed

He did say that they were going to diversify the economy through agriculture, mining etc but he's all over the north digging for oil which makes absolutely no sense to me.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by Ten06(m): 1:57pm On Dec 25, 2017
As far as I'm concerned GEJ is one of the cause of the problem will are facing today. But being that we are in Nigeria even witches and wizards are claiming to making Nigeria a better place
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by Nobody: 1:58pm On Dec 25, 2017
smiley
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by yeyeboi(m): 1:58pm On Dec 25, 2017
Bros I fit send my account oo make u dash me money
Bollinger:

Suffer no good i swear. Kai. Smh.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by dROC1: 2:00pm On Dec 25, 2017
sureheaven:
Mtchhw....... billions of dollars were stolen under his watch while a bag of rice is sold for 8k, to some people that's an achievement. A prodigal president, the only thing he didn't sign for sale is Aso rock. NO one is better between GEJ and pmb. If not that nigerians are used to easily forgetting their past ordeal, people will never commend GEJ for anything good. Same thing will happen when pmb leaves, some people will easily forget the sufferings under him and see him as their hero. Useless country sorrounded by worst leaders and cheered by senseless citizens

You have said it all.
While we appreciate that Jonathan was compassionate but ran a corrupt government, we look forward and say "we deserve better leaders".
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by Codes151(m): 2:02pm On Dec 25, 2017
marooh:
What I don't like about rich people is that they thought that everything is simple....

Many families are Mr Lonely just because everyone deserted them...and they can't travel due to fuel increase.....

Kwontinuo Greeting until fuel hype to 450
channel your problems to your presideNt
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by ebenholer(m): 2:02pm On Dec 25, 2017
To be realistics there is a different in nigeria of then to nigeria of now. Yet still both jonathan and buhari are bunches of failure. Its only if we try to shed crocodile tears. They have both failed nigerians.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by arrestdarrester: 2:05pm On Dec 25, 2017
9jakohai:

4.What does this mean?

Fin.

Tell that to the marines!

With the relatively low price of oil why is the price of petrol in an oil exporting country still beyond reach after 2 years of the advent of a political party that told us that subsidy was a scam? And to think that we believed them. So what is going on now? Are we still being scammed? Is it Yahoo now, 419 or what?

Fuel? Over N240 per litre? On Christmas day? Is this a bad dream?

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by tuniski: 2:05pm On Dec 25, 2017
9jakohai:

4.What does this mean?

Fin.
Warped! If under buhari, the barrel sells for 200$ the suffering in the land will be times 3 what we are having right now. Buhari is a curse! He doesn't know how to share prosperity. he is essentially a sadist!
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by Tecno66: 2:09pm On Dec 25, 2017
psychologist:
Why is nobody saying #occupynigeria in January 2018

The occupiers are now in charge. Those of them not in government like Tunde Bakare do not see any reason to occupy Nigeria.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by abbeyty(m): 2:11pm On Dec 25, 2017
But the same rice was cheaper during Abacha compare to GJ, does that means Abacha was better than Gj?

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by bilulu(m): 2:12pm On Dec 25, 2017
9jakohai:

4.What does this mean?

Fin.
during GEJ times oil came to down to fifty something.... oil started falling since 2014 so don't give us excuse jor
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by musa234(m): 2:14pm On Dec 25, 2017
9jakohai:

4.What does this mean?

Fin.
just shut up! Always justifying incompetency

3 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by tempex88(m): 2:16pm On Dec 25, 2017
ffo:
Some Nigerians are actually regretting and asking for forgiveness.

Am one of those Nigerians
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by deji68: 2:17pm On Dec 25, 2017
Well, the price of oil was never 100-140/barrel throughout GEJ tenure ..... cool cool

1998 $11.91 $17.26
1999 $16.56 $23.42
2000 $27.39 $37.54
2001 $23.00 $30.68
2002 $22.81 $29.92
2003 $27.69 $35.55
2004 $37.66 $47.04
2005 $50.04 $60.44
2006 $58.30 $68.27
2007 $64.20 $72.98
2008 $91.48 $100.00
2009 $53.48 $58.75
2010 $71.21 $77.10
2011 $87.04 $91.37
2012 $86.46 $88.93
2013 $91.17 $92.40
2014 $85.60 $85.34

9jakohai:

4.What does this mean?

Fin.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Seven Of Buhari's Actions That Led Nigeria Into Recession / Aisha Buhari Orders IGP To Charge Aminu Adamu Muhammed To Court Over Tweet / How Nnamdi Kanu Was Kidnapped From Airport Parking Lot In Kenya- SaharaReporters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.