Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,637 members, 7,801,843 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:42 AM

Why Igbos Always Travel Home During Christmas Period - Come Rain, Come Shine - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Igbos Always Travel Home During Christmas Period - Come Rain, Come Shine (49828 Views)

Why Do Igbos Always Stealing Rivers Last Names / Why Do Igbos Always Travel Every December / To The Nigerians That Live Outside Nigeria, How Often Do You Travel 'home'? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Igbos Always Travel Home During Christmas Period - Come Rain, Come Shine by remexy(f): 8:28am On Dec 26, 2017
You made just 1 point but the article is as long as PhD thesis. Saying the same thing over and over again in a disjointed manner.

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Always Travel Home During Christmas Period - Come Rain, Come Shine by ensamy(m): 8:38am On Dec 26, 2017
Also one can get American green card by traveling home during xmas. Some igbo parents bring thier daughters home from the U.S during this period. So guys also hook up with the igbo/American babes and eventually marry them. shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Always Travel Home During Christmas Period - Come Rain, Come Shine by Nobody: 8:42am On Dec 26, 2017
fairprince:

Jarus this is unlike you. Please leave these kind of comments. Just read them and leave them the way they are.

You already carved out a niche for yourself in the career sections. And you are respected that way. Abeg let others continue the fight. It doesn't even change anything out there. You are a nairaland statesman.

Thank you Sir.

I didn't even read comments to know there is a fight anywhere. I just read the prinicipal post and made my contribution. Yes, I do it. I travel home during the major Muslim festival.

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Always Travel Home During Christmas Period - Come Rain, Come Shine by Nobody: 8:46am On Dec 26, 2017
Lilimax:
Brother Jarus, I did not agree with you totally because most Yorubas I know had made Lagos there place of abode smiley They hardly visits their village tongue . Compliment of the seasons!

Fair enough.

But people from my side, especially Muslims do.

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Always Travel Home During Christmas Period - Come Rain, Come Shine by fairprince(m): 9:25am On Dec 26, 2017
Jarus:

I didn't even read comments to know there is a fight anywhere. I just read the prinicipal post and made my contribution. Yes, I do it. I travel home during the major Muslim festival.

Ok Sir. No vex. The previous pages had comments with various ethnic colouration and hate speeches.

The Igbos never stopped anyone from travelling to his place for celebrations. Others should not lose sleep over their choice to travel for various reasons.

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Always Travel Home During Christmas Period - Come Rain, Come Shine by chiny93: 10:06am On Dec 26, 2017
Too long to read Sha but all in all I did not Sha travel tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Igbos Always Travel Home During Christmas Period - Come Rain, Come Shine by EmekaBlue(m): 10:17am On Dec 26, 2017
Mainly to celebrate with family and take parts in December events at home like our village have yearly football competition and ekpe festival
Re: Why Igbos Always Travel Home During Christmas Period - Come Rain, Come Shine by goodies4life(f): 12:54pm On Dec 26, 2017
Thats a lair they all travel home to renew their yearly rituals. no ibo do business without puting his hand in rituals. rent a show near any ibo man and sale the same thing with him before you know you will close your show while their owe grow.
Re: Why Igbos Always Travel Home During Christmas Period - Come Rain, Come Shine by Nobody: 12:59pm On Dec 26, 2017
fairprince:

Ok Sir. No vex. The previous pages had comments with various ethnic colouration and hate speeches.

The Igbos never stopped anyone from travelling to his place for celebrations. Others should not lose sleep over their choice to travel for various reasons.

Simple.

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Always Travel Home During Christmas Period - Come Rain, Come Shine by goodies4life(f): 12:59pm On Dec 26, 2017
EmekaBlue:
Mainly to celebrate with family and take parts in December events at home like our village have yearly football competition and ekpe festival
Not only yearly football but also yearly business rituals.We know all that no ibo man hand clean when it comes to business.
Re: Why Igbos Always Travel Home During Christmas Period - Come Rain, Come Shine by NonsoPlatinum: 1:54pm On Dec 26, 2017
There's a lot of igbo culture being promoted in the Igbo-British community. Have a look at their channel, they are trying to keep the language alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hk8eLenwr4&index=4&list=PL1UutY7_uGmt-RkJ5NRGywNhmIMtIIjw9
Re: Why Igbos Always Travel Home During Christmas Period - Come Rain, Come Shine by EmekaBlue(m): 2:09pm On Dec 26, 2017
goodies4life:
Not only yearly football but also yearly business rituals.We know all that no ibo man hand clean when it comes to business.
that's ur thought and u r wrong. Its all hustle and marketing strategy

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Always Travel Home During Christmas Period - Come Rain, Come Shine by Nobody: 5:34pm On Dec 26, 2017
edonbeta:

The Igbos commits all sorts of crimes in order to make money and travel for show off of their wealth during Xmas. There is no fear of God in them. Only small percentage of them fear God. The only language they speak and hear is money. To them, nothing like heaven. Folks, please do not envy their wealth else you get lost. What shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world and lose his own soul. Turn to God today, u might not have another time. Many departed the world before, during and after Xmas. What next, judgment.
Igbo hater spotted grin grin

Re: Why Igbos Always Travel Home During Christmas Period - Come Rain, Come Shine by bumi10(m): 3:23am On Dec 27, 2017
Konquest:
@bumi10 [The @OP].

Your headline title and post are debatable.

The "Come Rain, Come Shine" aspect
of the thread title is historically misleading and
contradictory! There is also hate speech
and insults in your post in the 2nd paragraph
making sweeping/generalized
insults against an ethnic group
- in this case the Yoruba! Take note
of that politically incorrect hate
speech which violates Nairaland
Rules!

During the height of the massive
kidnappings and vicious armed
robberies in Iboland in the early to late 2000s,
many Ibos did NOT travel home regularly and those living
outside Nigeria were afraid to travel
to their villages on visits. Those who
had elderly parents in the S/East had
to quickly move them to Lagos, Abuja,
PH etc, to prevent their parents from
kidnappers who collected huge
ransoms and sometimes killed
after paying ransoms in places/towns
such as Nnewi where at a point
several big traders had to close shop
because of insecurity caused by
kidnappers, and relocated to Lagos
and other big cities in Nigeria
and these were well reported in
the daily newspapers and magazines!

Even Ibos started celebrating the NEW YAM
festival in Lagos State and other non-Ibo
states in Nigeria instead of the village, which was
strange to me because during the June 12, 1993
crisis, Ibos left the S/West in large numbers
out of fear of war [Ibos call the movement to
the South East "Oso Abiola"] but instead they told neighbours that they
were going for the so-called "new yam"
festival. New yam festivals in African
societies in Ashantiland, Yorubaland,
Ugepland in Cross Rivers, etc, are usually
celebrated by travelling home.

All that I have posted here can still
be found via Search Engines in the archives of online
Newspapers and other discussion
forums. With the kidnappings, robberies
in the SE, Ibos were doing the new yam
festival at the National Stadium in Surulere, in
Lagos. Now there is relative peace
in places like Anambra which was
a NO go area before the last 2 governors
came to revamp the security architecture
and now people are able to go home
for holidays in the S/E.

Happy Holidays!

Some point you razed, I will admit are valid but I want you to know this;

1. Headline are made to be debatable - thats why its called a headline in the first place. If it doesn't catch people's curiosity, then is not a headline.

2. Truth they say is a defamation to liability. This simply means, as long as you are saying the truth, even if you are making a racist statement or what you called a hate speech or politically incorret speech, you can't be held liable to this laws.

3. You should also remember that one's security is key in life and if anything threatens it, the status quo will be changed or averted. Nairaland didn't think I violated their laws that why they moved the post to front page.

I'm personally not surprised of these things you are saying cuz I can guess were you are from. But all I'm saying is this, when an Igbo man wants to travel to his place on festive period, could you just not be happy for him rather than throwing tantrums and making rubbish and senseless comments about it.

Its appalling in all ramification and makes me sick to my stomach.
Re: Why Igbos Always Travel Home During Christmas Period - Come Rain, Come Shine by nedu210(m): 10:30am On Dec 28, 2017
Re: Why Igbos Always Travel Home During Christmas Period - Come Rain, Come Shine by Vivere: 8:53pm On Jan 01, 2018
WORDSENSEI:
What a stupid lie. Yorubas have no problem with you people travelling down to your covens. I wonder why you must always drag us into your issues and misfortunes.

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Always Travel Home During Christmas Period - Come Rain, Come Shine by Chineduogbojo95: 8:28am On Dec 12, 2018
Please if you are coming back for Christmas please do this to your car we need you to come back and go back peacefully

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhBLtF3Ncmk
Re: Why Igbos Always Travel Home During Christmas Period - Come Rain, Come Shine by Nobody: 6:17pm On Dec 13, 2018
Lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Oba Sijuwade When He Arrived For His Coronation / Alaafin Of Oyo And His Wives Celebrate Eid Il Fitri / Olori Ajoke, Alaafin Of Oyo's Last Wife, Stuns In New Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.