Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,544 members, 7,808,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:49 PM

Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI (39331 Views)

Boko Haram/herdsmen: Ethnic Nationalities Regroup To Defend Territories / 2019: Ex-generals, Governors, Ministers Regroup To Battle Buhari / Niger Delta Militants Regroup, Appraise Attack Plan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by Irukkanews: 9:49am On Dec 26, 2017
Recently, members of Non Yoruba Indigenes Empowerment Initiatives (NYIEI) launched the group in Ota area of Ogun State. In this piece, ANTHONY AWUNOR who witnessed the inauguration looks at the essence, impacts and what the society stands to gain from such organization.

For many years, interethnic struggling has been one of Nigeria’s greatest social problems amongst the over 250 ethnic nationalities spread across the country. To put the problem to rest, particularly in the South Western part of the country, a group known as Non Yoruba Indigenes Empowerment Initiatives (NYIEI) has emerged in the region.

To formalize their existence, the group which was founded since February 2017, inaugurated the body on 2nd of December this year in Ota area of Ogun State.

The colorful ceremony took place in Honda Playing ground, Ota and was attended by people from all walks of life, cutting across all the tribes in Nigeria, including women, young and the old.

Founded by Chief Chris Orie, the body comprises of people from the South East, South South, North Central, North West and North East extracts of Nigerians domiciled in the South West States, irrespective of party affiliations, tribe, religion or gender.

Speaking at the media lunch and inauguration of the group, South West Chairman of NYIEI, Chief Chris Orie said that their vision is to unite all non-Yoruba indigenes in South West to speak with one voice, adding that grass root mobilization of all non-indigenes in South West, empowerment of all are paramount to the organization.

Chief who described NYIEI as a child of necessity, pointed out that there are issues and anomalies the group stands to address within the domain where they reside, particularly as it concerns: multiple taxation, non-recognition of their input, marginalization amongst others.

According to Chief Orie, the population of the non-indigenes is overwhelmingly within 50-60 per cent in some of the South West States, adding that it is obvious that with this population, it is likely possible for any politician to emerge a winner in an election without votes of non-Yoruba indigenes counting for him.

Lamenting on threats they are already experiencing, Orie said "The greatest undoing of the non-Yoruba indigents as a whole has been the case of "lone ranger” approach. We have for decades tried in vain to draw the attention of successive governments in Ogun State, and other South Western states to our side by our petty, parochial and like I always say "sectional politicking” but with NYIEI on board today, we the non Yorubas are saying goodbye to our weaknesses and failures and welcome to our strength and victory.

According to a co-founder of the organization and leader of South West of NYIEI, Chief Anslem Njoku, the purpose of the non-indigenes coming together is to ensure unity among them.

Chief Njoku who is also the chairman of Ndigbo United Association said that the non-indigenes need to speak with one voice and also live in harmony with their host community.

According to him, the coming together would promote peaceful co-existence between the non-indigenes and their host community, adding that if there is a conflict, the organization would also serve as a platform for reconciliation. His words:

"I want to say that Yoruba land is a blessing to us, the non-indigenes. Most of us who have become somebody today come to Yoruba land with nothing. If you are the most hard-working or the most intelligent person in the world but the environment is not conducive, there is nothing much you can do. So, whatever achievement that non indigenes are making in the south west is not just because we are hardworking or that we are intelligent, conducive environment plays a major role. So, our host community has provided a conducive environment for us, we have to reciprocate by organizing ourselves so that there would be harmonious relationship between us and them.”

He said after the inauguration, the next step would be the launching which would be done in all the states in the south west.

Addressing journalists at the event, leader of Hausa community in Lagos, Alhaji Adamu Isa-Likali stated that as the leader in Lagos, he has been working with Osun State government and Lagos to see that there is peace and harmony amongst the non-indigenes.

Alhaji Isa-Likali assured that NYIEI, by special grace of God will bring all the tribes together in 2019, adding that they have demonstrated such move before following a peace forum organised at the National Stadium on October 1st in Lagos.

While speaking on the position of NYIEII, President General of all non-Indigenes and General Patron /Apex Leader of NYIEI, Ogun State, Chief Austine Azuka Ikeze said "the impression of the association to our own understanding and the way we initiated it is that it is going to be a kind of political platform of the entire non indigenes that are in different political parties to come under one umbrella and speak with one voice. And then we the parent body are apolitical. So they themselves are the ones to discuss politics but when it is time , they will bring the same idea to us, then we look at it and how we can digest, refines and advise them how best to go. We also look at it as an avenue for us to be part of the decision making process”.

According to Chief Ikeze, there are quite a number of issues that needed to be put in the right perspective, particularly on the use of Yoruba Language in CDA meetings, even in situations where non Indigenes are more in number; high fees charged to students who are not indigenes at tertiary institution and the issue of denial of automatic citizenship to children born within the South West whenever the need arises.

With about four zones of non-indigenes in Ogun State, Ikeze who is also a former gubernatorial aspirant under CPP in Ogun State stated that the number of non-indigenes in Ogun State is quite high and that, they require good treatment despite the fact that they are non-indigenes.

In her remark the Ada Di Ora Nma of Ndigbo, Ado-Odo Ota, His Royal Highness, Queen Tessy Nwaobi Nnadi said that over time, non-indigenes have not been recognised and therefore, have not been given its rightful place in the region.

Noting that it is only during elections that they are called upon after which they were dumped again, the queen added "It is only election period they come to us because they need votes. The non-indigenes population is more than the indigenes. We found out that we are used and dumped. That is why we decide to come together to claim our rights because they can’t be using us and dumping us.

On the impact of NYIEI to the society, Queen Nwaobi Nnadi who is also the Ezenwanyi Ndi Igbo of Ogun State added "it will have a lot of positive impacts because when we speak with one voice, they will always get the necessary attention. To me I foresee no problems in terms of cultural differences. I believe we are one and we should work as one. The body has come to stay; it is not just for 2019 but for the next generations to come. I want Nigerians to embrace peace and love”.

In his own views, Chief Agamah Emmanuel, a member of the organization from Benue State pointed out that NYIEI is not all about Igbo, Yourba and Hausa but cuts across all the tribes apart from Yoruba.

Emphasising that every state is part of NYIEI, Chief Agamah stated that "the body is bringing the entire Nigeria together and it is going to bring unity. When we come together in unity, it will make us to speak with one voice. And when we speak with one voice, our voice would be heard. When it is heard, there will be force which can make the authorities reckon with us”.

Chief Agamah however, pointed that the major challenge in Nigeria is division and when people say that they belong to North South or North West or other tribes, adding that NYIEI wants to address such situations.

Also speaking was the Obi of Iyana Iyesi-Mupin and the Asiwaju of Ndigbo in Ado-Odo Ota, Chief Sunny Nwaebuka who pointed out that the emergence of NYIEI is going to benefit the people.

"People are going to benefit for example, most of us have come to understand most of our problems. We are asking the government to listen to our voice as we have a lot of things to offer. Members of non-Yoruba indigenes should give us the opportunity because we are going to fight to ensure that their voices are heard”, Chief Nwaebuka said.

To the Obi Ndigbo of Iyesi, Chief Chukwuemeka Ugwunta, the non-indigenes association has been broaden as they have already started taking in people outside the country like the Ghanaians, Togo and even Cotonou citizens.

"We are trying to see how we can come together so that our voice can be heard. We believe in the founder, Chief Chris Orie and other co-founders. The turnout at the inauguration shows that the organization is already a success. Since February, a lot of things are now in progress. Since the introduction, the level of intimation of non-indigenes has reduced. We have expanded it to welcome foreigners such as Ghanains”, Chief Ugwunta said.

Describing the group as God’s intervention for non-indigenes in South West, Women Leader of NYIEI, Lolo Dominion Uche Onyeisi said it is time for the non-indigenes to say enough is enough.

She however, added that the group will bring good things, particularly to the non-indigenes in South West, adding "It can bring down the multiple taxation levied on no indigenes which has been on for some time. Other issues it will address include non-recognition of non-indigenes even though they generate the revenue

According the leader of the group in Yelwa South of Ogun State, Chief Michael Chukwuemeka Aniekwe, as a body NYIEI is trying to call everyone to be law abiding citizens of Nigeria, adding that their major aim is to organize themselves properly in such a manner that they can always speak with one voice.

Chief Aniekwe assured that many people are responding to NYIEI membership with over 85 of them indicating interest to the association, adding that when a good traditional culture has evolved within them, they would be able to impact it on others.

The group appealed to non-Yoruba indigenes in the South West who are not members to join them. To the government, NYIEI said "the organization wants to state unequivocally that the non-Yoruba indigenes in South West will remain law abiding and will continue to contribute their quota towards the economic and political development of the South West region.

http://irukkanews.com/when-nonyoruba-indigenes-in-south-west-regroup-under-nyiei-p3630-95.htm

1 Share

Re: Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by superstar1(m): 9:58am On Dec 26, 2017
See this nyamiri jokers.

Please do not forget that there is an Aare Ona Kakanfo in place.

Won a ti lo na yin ju

101 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by docsholz(m): 10:17am On Dec 26, 2017
lol
Re: Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by resurgentxtian4: 10:20am On Dec 26, 2017
This group is up to no good as they are trying to force the Government to confer more rights and benefits on non-indigenes. Why do igbos like to poke Yorubas always?

Igbos should please call this group to order.

75 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by Nobody: 10:38am On Dec 26, 2017
why are the Ibos so greedy

83 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by resurgentxtian4: 10:43am On Dec 26, 2017
There is absolutely no need for this group because all sensible Yorubas will reject their objectives at first sight.

What i think is that the igbos know they are not liked so they always want to annoy their so called enemies to elicit a violent response from them. The issue of Igbo Presidency has pretty much been settled as most igbos don’t even want the post. Igbos just want to continue being a thorn in the flesh of Yorubas nay Nigeria.

It is sad what the igbos have turned to. I usually don’t insult them anymore as they thrive when people hate them.

The group is a waste of efforts and time as non indigenes will never be conferred with undue benefits over and above the indigenes.

59 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by horsepower101: 11:00am On Dec 26, 2017
Hmmm...
Yoruba logic

" there is an annoying Neighbor in my compound, how can I resolve this issue?"
Solution: " making sure that I prevent them from leaving so that they can annoy me more."

Unfortunately, this is how most igbos see Yorubas complains.

40 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by resurgentxtian4: 11:05am On Dec 26, 2017
horsepower101:
Hmmm...
Yoruba logic

Solution: " making sure that I prevent them from leaving so that they can annoy me more."

I don’t understand what you are saying. What are the objectives of the group and does it have merit? I won’t argue with you or any igbo because all igbos want to do is torture their supposed enemies.

I await your response because I don’t understand your post.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by Oloripelebe: 11:07am On Dec 26, 2017
Some deluded flat heads on this grin

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by horsepower101: 11:08am On Dec 26, 2017
resurgentxtian4:

I don’t understand what you are saying. What are the objectives of the group and does it have merit? I won’t argue with you or any igbo because all igbos want to do is torture their supposed enemies.

I await your response because I don’t understand your post.

Igbos are not interested in torturing anyone. They are too busy for that. I am personally neutral on this issue because I don't live there with the groups to know if their demands is warranted.

But they are not breaking any NIGERIAN laws by making those demands.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by resurgentxtian4: 11:13am On Dec 26, 2017
horsepower101:

Igbos are not interested in torturing anyone. They are too busy for that. I am personally neutral on this issue because I don't live there with the groups to know if their demands is warranted.

Igbos are very interested in torturing other Nigerians (especially Yorubas) for the civil war loss and this group will fail in its objective as those demands are needless. Just do your business and live in peace with your host communities.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by horsepower101: 11:24am On Dec 26, 2017
resurgentxtian4:

Igbos are very interested in torturing other Nigerians (especially Yorubas) for the civil war loss and this group will fail in its objective as those demands are needless. Just do your business and live in peace with your host communities.

Believe whatever you want. At the end of the day, we are all one Nigerians and we all should be treated equally and fairly no matter where we are. If any group is pursuing those goals within the constitutional laws of the land, there is nothing wrong with it. This Nigerian land belongs to everyone. That is the meaning of one Nigeria.

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by MrMaestro: 11:29am On Dec 26, 2017
lakhadimar:
why are the Ibos so greedy
Incoming 2018 ibos: we were the developers of ogun.
Incoming 2019 ibos: we were the developers of osun
Incoming 2020 ibos: we were the developers of oyo

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by MrMaestro: 11:33am On Dec 26, 2017
horsepower101:

They are breaking Nigerian freedom laws by specifically creating a group excluding the yorubas. "Non Yoruba..." The Southwest government could shut this down tomorrow if they decided to.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by NCP: 11:35am On Dec 26, 2017
the VictmsMentality Syndrome (VMS) is deeply etched in the psyche of IPOB people. It comes in varying proportions. It manifests in form of "outrageous feelgood syndrome", "EnviousHatred towards other neighbouring tribes or races", "AttacheeByForce" and more.

Excerpts from
"VictimsMentality Syndorome Disease: The SE Nigeria Case Studies"
By
Dr. Okechukwuma Obigbo, Professor Emeritus of Psychiatry and Psychotic Diseases, Discoverer of VMS,

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by freeze20: 11:36am On Dec 26, 2017
grin grin grin Yorubas must accept one Nigeria ni cheesy

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by MrMaestro: 11:45am On Dec 26, 2017
Anyway I find this group funny. The ibos can see the rise of the Yorubas in economics, business, and industry in the next 10 years and are trying to check this power. It is impossible. If Fashola could deport ibos at his whim, then there's nothing that can be done. Southwest governors have never been more united. So at this point, it is best to not get on the yoruba government's bad side. Because if they feel targeted by ibos and non indegenes, fashola's deportation would only be the beginning.

50 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by backtosender: 11:48am On Dec 26, 2017
horsepower101:
Hmmm...
Yoruba logic

exactly one Nigeria

10 Likes

Re: Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by ImperialYoruba: 11:50am On Dec 26, 2017
resurgentxtian4:
This group is up to no good as they are trying to force the Government to confer more rights and benefits on non-indigenes. Why do igbos like to poke Yorubas always?

Igbos should please call this group to order.

Their Ohanaeze will see nothing wrong with this until they are paid back in their coin then it will be Yoruba hate us

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by resurgentxtian4: 11:54am On Dec 26, 2017
horsepower101:

Believe whatever you want. At the end of the day, we are all one Nigerians and we all should be treated equally and fairly no matter where we are. If any group is pursuing those goals within the constitutional laws of the land, there is nothing wrong with it. This Nigerian land belongs to everyone. That is the meaning of one Nigeria.

I hear you. I won’t call you a slave or 2nd class tribe because you would never accept it but double down in defense of your tribe. Nigeria is at a stalemate and we all know our individual positions in Nigeria.

Igbos can continue to migrate enmasse to yorubaland and claim they are Nigerians, it still won’t change the facts on ground. What igbos ultimately want is xenophobic attacks and policies from Yorubas. Whether that will happen,I cannot say but things wouldn’t change for igbos politically for a long time (I doubt igbos even care about politics).

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by resurgentxtian4: 11:56am On Dec 26, 2017
ImperialYoruba:

Their Ohanaeze will see nothing wrong with this until they are paid back in their coin then it will be Yoruba hate us

I take this personally because I am a native of Ogun State. But I know this group won’t gain much traction as they will continue to be viewed as visitors to the state. Igbos seriously love to be hated but we should ignore them while guarding our interests jealousy.

Igbos have nothing to lose anymore so they want to drag the country down at all costs.

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by freeze20: 12:03pm On Dec 26, 2017
Chai! see as them they shit for their panties. Stupid fools. angry Na only Igbo form the organizations?

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by horsepower101: 12:04pm On Dec 26, 2017
resurgentxtian4:

I hear you. I won’t call you a slave or 2nd class tribe because you would never accept it but double down in defense of your tribe. Nigeria is at a stalemate and we all know our individual positions in Nigeria.

Igbos can continue to migrate enmasse to yorubaland and claim they are Nigerians, it still won’t change the facts on ground. What igbos ultimately want is xenophobic attacks and policies from Yorubas. Whether that will happen,I cannot say but things wouldn’t change for igbos politically for a long time (I doubt igbos even care about politics).

if you pass xenophobic laws, it will be thrashed in the dust bin at the federal high court because it goes against the one Nigeria constitution that guarantees the right of every citizen to live and work where ever they choose to.

As for politics, we shall see but I know that political power in Nigeria only benefits the elites. Look at the north today. Even with all the federal projects and programs they are still not even close to 1/100th of Igbo achievements.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by SouthEastFacts: 12:04pm On Dec 26, 2017
Long overdue.
The Yorubas can create theirs in the East. Nobody is holding them.

26 Likes

Re: Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by resurgentxtian4: 12:07pm On Dec 26, 2017
horsepower101:

if you pass xenophobic laws, it will be thrashed in the dust bin at the federal high court because it goes against the one Nigeria constitution that guarantees the right of every citizen to live and work where ever they choose to.

As for politics, we shall see but I know that political power in Nigeria only benefits the elites. Look at the north today. Even with all the federal projects and programs they are still not even close to 1/100th of Igbo achievements.

Continue your business while others continue their politics. Let’s see where that will get you.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by resurgentxtian4: 12:09pm On Dec 26, 2017
SouthEastFacts:
Long overdue.

I won’t reply this as you know it
(creation of this kind of group) won’t happen.

You can keep migrating if you want, you just want to annoy and prod Yorubas to attack igbos but I doubt that will happen.

Let the game go on and we see where both tribes end.

Nigerians now don’t take igbos serious so why should we?

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by MrMaestro: 12:10pm On Dec 26, 2017
resurgentxtian4:

I take this personally because I am a native of Ogun State. But I know this group won’t gain much traction as they will continue to be viewed as visitors to the state. Igbos seriously love to be hated but we should ignore them while guarding our interests jealousy.

Igbos have nothing to lose anymore so they want to drag the country down at all costs.

I used to share this same sentiment for years. Just ignore them. But it's come to the point that they think they can normally do things like this, and when others do the same back to them it's "see, Yorubas/hausas hate us!". They think it's normal for them to do this, and abnormal for anyone else. So this year I've given up on that. They should be reciprocated with everything they dish out. That's the only way they can learn to behave better. They want to turn a legal dispute into a tribal one, so can everyone else. #boycottdiamond. They want to call other tribes negative names, then they are iyanmiris. They create this, Yorubas should create the Yoruba Indigene Rights Group. The time for turning the other cheek is over.

45 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by MrMaestro: 12:15pm On Dec 26, 2017
SouthEastFacts:
Long overdue.

The difference is yorubas don't care about your east. It is your home. It would be disrespectful to be welcomed in someone's home, and then challenge the head of the household to create rules and regulations of his own house. The ibos lack simple laws of respect and decorum, it just continues to baffle me on why that is.

65 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by SouthEastFacts: 12:16pm On Dec 26, 2017
resurgentxtian4:

I won’t reply this as you know it
(creation of this kind of group) won’t happen.

You can keep migrating if you want, you just want to annoy and prod Yorubas to attack igbos but I doubt that will happen.

Let the game go on and we see where both tribes end.

Nigerians now don’t take igbos serious so why should we?
You know you cannot attack Igbos in the SW.

Nigerians don't take Igbos serious, yet they are falling into formation.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by ayzTIGER: 12:18pm On Dec 26, 2017
freeze20:
Chai! see as them they shit for their panties. Stupid fools. angry Na only Igbo form the organizations?
Na fear na. Yoruba always have this fear about others dominating them in their own backyard.

29 Likes

Re: Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by horsepower101: 12:18pm On Dec 26, 2017
SouthEastFacts:
Long overdue.

But the thing is that this group comprises of all Nigerians who are not from the state but for some reason, they are pointing fingers at igbos only.

The group have people from SS, SE, NC, NW and NE. It in not tribal.

Yet they end up singling out igbos.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Non-Yoruba Indigenes In South West Regroup Under NYIEI by SouthEastFacts: 12:20pm On Dec 26, 2017
MrMaestro:

I used to share this same sentiment for years. Just ignore them. But it's come to the point that they think they can normally do things like this, and when others do the same back to them it's "see, Yorubas/hausas hate us!". They think it's normal for them to do this, and abnormal for anyone else. So this year I've given up on that. They should be reciprocated with everything they dish out. That's the only way they can learn to behave better. They want to turn a legal dispute into a tribal one, so can everyone else. #boycottdiamond. They want to call other tribes negative names, then they are iyanmiris. They create this, Yorubas should create the Yoruba Indigene Rights Group. The time for turning the other cheek is over.
You are welcome. Nobody is holding you. If you think the Yorubas are too influential to summon and unite all tribes under one umbrella in the East, no problem. We are peaceful.

17 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Harassment Of PDP Leaders Is Buhari’s Achievement – Fayose / Uche Ogah Builds A Church In Uturu, Abia (Photos) / Senate Orders Arrest Of CEOs Of Glo, Crown Flour Mills 28 Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.