Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,956 members, 7,806,768 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:08 PM

Beards: A Failure Of Traditional Muslim Men - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Beards: A Failure Of Traditional Muslim Men (1236 Views)

If Muslim Men Will Gain 72 Virgins In Heaven, What Will The Females Gain? / Qatari Man Shares A Video Tutorial Teaching Muslim Men How To Beat Their Wives / Did The Holy Quran Ever Promise 72 Virgins & Boys To Muslim Men In Paradise? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beards: A Failure Of Traditional Muslim Men by usermane(m): 1:33pm On Dec 27, 2017
In the confines of traditional or mainstream Muslims, there exist the notion that unlike other religious communities, traditional Muslims remain faithful to their religious doctrines however antiquated, inhumane and backward the rest of the world consider these doctrines. Whenever a controversy arises from a clash between the status quo and traditional Muslim doctrines, fanatics among traditional Muslims may often be heard taunting their opponents(most often atheists and Christians) that they duly observe their doctrines and do not cherry-pick for the sake of convenience.

I'll prove with example that traditional Muslims do in fact cherry-pick doctrines from their sacred text according to convenience. In my opinion, the traditional Muslim community may not be as loose in doctrinal practice as other religious communities but it is no where near as disciplined as its members claim.

The doctrine of beard

Letting the beard grow is a mandatory doctrine for traditional Muslim men and as the title of this post goes and reality proves, yet overwhelming majority of traditional Muslim men fail to uphold this law.
Before proceeding, evidence will be cited to refute the unfounded claims among the traditionalists that beard is not mandatory but mere recommendation. Of course, only ignorance or dishonesty underlie such claim.
Re: Beards: A Failure Of Traditional Muslim Men by usermane(m): 1:34pm On Dec 27, 2017
There are specific hadith to let the beard grow:

Jami` at-Tirmidhi » Chapters on Manners
Narrated Ibn 'Umar:
that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: "Trim the mustache and leave the beard to grow.

So many variants of this hadith can be verified from the books of traditions, whether Sahih Bukhari or Muslim.
Re: Beards: A Failure Of Traditional Muslim Men by usermane(m): 1:38pm On Dec 27, 2017
Response to excuse for not letting the beard grow.

1. Some traditionalists state that this injunction was merely to differentiate Muslim men from non-Muslim men at the time of the Prophet.

This can't be accepted as a proof that the injunction is merely recommendation because even at the time, non-Muslims did let their beard grow. Thus implying that the beard is more than symbol of identity for traditional Muslim men.

2. Drawing analogy from the hadith on dying the beards and the idea that not all early Muslim men dyed their beards, some traditionalists suggest that growing the beards is similar to dying the beard, encouraged but not compulsory.

This is poor analogy because while there exist hadith that the messenger dyed his beard, there also exist hadith that he did not dye his beards as well. Therefore, dying the beard as a doctrine may be debatable. But there is no hadith that the messenger or his companion shave the beards.

3. Scholars differ on the subject.

First of all, there is no need of scholar opinion for for direct and non-vague instructions like "Leave the beard to grow"
Secondly, in even of event of differences in opinion, traditional Muslims can't just take any opinion, they have to refer to the "Qur'an and hadith". This leads us to the books of tradition where we find the messenger's instruction to trim mustache but leave the beard. No evidence suggesting this is only a recommendation can be found in the traditions.
Re: Beards: A Failure Of Traditional Muslim Men by usermane(m): 1:41pm On Dec 27, 2017
Fard vs Sunnah

Pertaining to doctrines, it is easy to distinguish a fard from a sunnah(recommended) in the hadith texts. For instance here are typical sunnah

“If it were not that it would be difficult on my nation, then I would have ordered them to use the siwak for each prayer.” [Tirmidhi]
“He used to sleep early at night, and get up in its last part to pray, and then return to his bed.” [Bukhari]

See that the sunna doctrines do not come across as command, most times these doctrines are reported as action of the messenger which he never vocally ordered. In cases where the messenger voice a recommended but not obligatory doctrines, he includes hints to this. This is notable in the doctrine of chewing stick.

Fard doctrines usually come as command, instruction without reservation from the messenger. This is the case of letting the beard grow.
Re: Beards: A Failure Of Traditional Muslim Men by usermane(m): 1:47pm On Dec 27, 2017
Time to back our claims that traditional Muslims largely fail to keep the doctrine of the beard. Images of traditional Muslims will now be presented.

Disclaimer: I am not saying all traditional Muslim men fail in this doctrine, but I am saying the overwhelming majority fails. And what makes this even worse is relatively reserved stance of the authorities and scholars to overseeing the observation of this doctrine compared to other doctrines.
Re: Beards: A Failure Of Traditional Muslim Men by usermane(m): 1:49pm On Dec 27, 2017
1. Muslims at Friday congregational prayer

Try counting the number of congregants here. So many, yet not even one with beard is identifiable. I've always estimated that 9/10 traditional men do not sport a beard. But seeing this picture above indicate that is an underestimate.

2. Here is another one.

[img]https://foreignpolicymag.files./2017/01/gettyimages-603215700.jpg[/img]

Again, no single one can be spot with beard. There are so many clean shaven and this is too much negligence for even a recommended doctrine.
Re: Beards: A Failure Of Traditional Muslim Men by usermane(m): 1:56pm On Dec 27, 2017
More examples will be added, God willing
Re: Beards: A Failure Of Traditional Muslim Men by Fundamentalist: 2:49pm On Dec 27, 2017
So what about those that keep beards , what are they ?
Re: Beards: A Failure Of Traditional Muslim Men by usermane(m): 3:23pm On Dec 27, 2017
Fundamentalist:
So what about those that keep beards , what are they ?

Nothing. They keep law. Respectable and sincere of 'em
Re: Beards: A Failure Of Traditional Muslim Men by Fundamentalist: 4:57pm On Dec 27, 2017
usermane:

Nothing. They keep law. Respectable and sincere of 'em

You should also accept the same principle they preach since you understand them to be sincere .

Or don't you idolize sincere people
Re: Beards: A Failure Of Traditional Muslim Men by usermane(m): 5:36pm On Dec 27, 2017
Fundamentalist:

You should also accept the same principle they preach since you understand them to be sincere .

Or don't you idolize sincere people

This isn't about me. If you read the intro to the thread, I said I was here to prove a point. That is the Muslim community is not as faithful to her doctrines as members boast. And generally, traditional Muslims will cherry-pick doctrine according to convienence.
Re: Beards: A Failure Of Traditional Muslim Men by Fundamentalist: 6:52pm On Dec 27, 2017
usermane:

This isn't about me. If you read the intro to the thread, I said I was here to prove a point. That is the Muslim community is not as faithful to her doctrines as members boast. And generally, traditional Muslims will cherry-pick doctrine according to convienence.

I have noticed for quite some time that you broadcast atheist ideologies but here you are defending fundamental Islam

I'm I wrong
Re: Beards: A Failure Of Traditional Muslim Men by usermane(m): 2:20am On Dec 28, 2017
Fundamentalist:

I have noticed for quite some time that you broadcast atheist ideologies but here you are defending fundamental Islam

I'm I wrong

Kinda. You must have mistaken me for someone else. I have only shared Qur'an alone Islam on this site.

Plus in this thread, I am not defending fundamentalist Islam or any Islam. The purpose of the thread is to highlight the reality of cherry-picking doctrines by mainstream Muslims. The community is not as faithful to her laws as members tend to portray
Re: Beards: A Failure Of Traditional Muslim Men by usermane(m): 3:00am On Dec 28, 2017
3. Traditional Muslim pilgrims

Of the multitude, only 7 are bearded, thus again confirming my proposition. At this point, we can safely ask why this is so, why have the ulamas been relatively silent on a matter of fard. Most of the traditionalist scholars I have listened to opined the beard is fard. But aside, when asked about the beard by their audience or listeners in Q&A kind of sessions, most of these scholars seem indifferent about it violation.
Re: Beards: A Failure Of Traditional Muslim Men by usermane(m): 3:02am On Dec 28, 2017
4. Yet again

Funny enough, some of them here even grew their mustache.
Re: Beards: A Failure Of Traditional Muslim Men by iamgenius(m): 6:29am On Dec 28, 2017
Fundamentalist:

I'm I wrong
Bro, he's not a Muslim. He knows what he's doing very well. Don't think he's here to defend Islam, he's only doing what he was trained to do i.e to deface islam.

Please check this website which I found in his profile www.quranicpath.com/quranicpath/index.html

1 Like

Re: Beards: A Failure Of Traditional Muslim Men by usermane(m): 4:02am On Dec 31, 2017

Dr. Ishaq Akintola

This is the president of MURIC, an organization tasked with supporting the rights of traditional Muslims to exercise their faith in Nigeria. But for a man so committed to Muslim rights, for a man demanding hijab be permitted in all secular institutions and Friday be made work free for the sake of Muslims, Mr. Akintola is unable to fulfill his own personal religious obligation to let the beard grow.
Re: Beards: A Failure Of Traditional Muslim Men by usermane(m): 4:00pm On Jan 03, 2018

Sultan of Sokoto: Sa'adu Abubakar

Even the famous spiritual and ceremonial leader of Nigerian Muslims won't let his beard grow.
Re: Beards: A Failure Of Traditional Muslim Men by vladimiros: 2:24pm On Jan 12, 2018
baba give up
its a personal preference
Re: Beards: A Failure Of Traditional Muslim Men by Empiree: 1:33pm On Jan 13, 2018
Primary effect of this is overwhelming western influence. They take beard off men, and many of us are brainwashed by that.

God put beard on men, not necessarily for religious reason but for identification purposes. So if your father is beardless, you have two moms grin cheesy
Re: Beards: A Failure Of Traditional Muslim Men by adejaresalami1(m): 3:57pm On Jan 13, 2018
Empiree:
Primary effect of this is overwhelming western influence. They take beard off men, and many of us are brainwashed by that.

God put beard on men, not necessarily for religious reason but for identification purposes. So if your father is beardless, you have two moms grin cheesy
I can't believe you are saying this

Sufism don dey die small for ur body
Re: Beards: A Failure Of Traditional Muslim Men by Empiree: 4:14pm On Jan 13, 2018
adejaresalami1:
I can't believe you are saying this

Sufism don dey die small for ur body
your point is?
Re: Beards: A Failure Of Traditional Muslim Men by adejaresalami1(m): 9:40pm On Jan 13, 2018
Empiree:
your point is?
Point is.........virtually all mainstream scholar of your sect claim that growing beards is not part of our deen
Re: Beards: A Failure Of Traditional Muslim Men by Empiree: 10:05pm On Jan 13, 2018
adejaresalami1:
Point is.........virtually all mainstream scholar of your sect claim that growing beards is not part of our deen
And your view of this is..........?
Re: Beards: A Failure Of Traditional Muslim Men by adejaresalami1(m): 10:16pm On Jan 13, 2018
Empiree:
And your view of this is..........?
My view is
Revelation makes everlasting truths clear, those who mock it merely undo themselves.

Empires, consider the signs of Allah's gracious kindness around you, and glorify him

Attribute not unworthy qualities nor any companion to Allah

Seek truth in worship more than mere ancestral ways, and.................shut not our revelations light

My views upon ur matter is just too much
Re: Beards: A Failure Of Traditional Muslim Men by Empiree: 10:32pm On Jan 13, 2018
adejaresalami1:
My view is
Revelation makes everlasting truths clear, those who mock it merely undo themselves.

Empires, consider the signs of Allah's gracious kindness around you, and glorify him

Attribute not unworthy qualities nor any companion to Allah

Seek truth in worship more than mere ancestral ways, and.................shut not our revelations light

My views upon ur matter is just too much
And whats all these?. You have a problem. You already decided who i am behind the screen?. You are incredible. So how's this post of yours relate to question i asked?. I simply asked u what's your view about scholars of every sect that claimed beard is not part of the deen and you came up with story

(1) (Reply)

Picture Of Ka'aba In 1954 / I Love Jesus Christ And I Am A Muslim / The Twenty-third Greater Sin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.