Stats: 3,148,026 members, 7,799,508 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:58 PM

Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. (15405 Views)

Leave Rivers State Alone, Ateke Tells Biafra Agitators / Ondo State Alone Produce More Resources Than All The South East States Combined / 'Leave Abia State Alone'- Abia Special Adviser To Okorocha (2) (3) (4)

Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by Ikengawo: 8:02am On Apr 06, 2010
Rivers State
GDP
$21.07 billion
$3,965(per capita)

Republic of Ghana
GDP
$36.322 billion
$1,571(per capita)

This is to everyone saying that nigerian money is going 'EN MASSE' to ghana. FDI rankings

Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in Nigeria has risen to $13.95 billion, the Minister of State for Finance, Mr. Remi Babalola, has said.Babalola,

http://allafrica.com/stories/200908170424.html
^2009 during recession

UNCTAD reports that FDI flows into Ghana have tripled from 2005 to US$435 million in 2006
http://www.fdi.net/documents/WorldBank/databases/pri-center_mockup/ghana.htm
^ 2006 before recession

This means in 1 year nigeria makes what adds up to 47% of Ghana's total economy in INVESTMENTS ALONE. If Ghana recieved what nigeria receives in investments it would have 47% annual growth.

many on here try to say that Ghana is richer then Nigeria or 'better' and this is far from the truth. the people in rivers state alone are 3 times richer then the average ghanaian. I haven't brought Lagos, Aubja or Kano in the pciture. Statistics also say someone in Imo state is 2 times richer then the average Ghanian.

Nigerians always look for ways to insult my country without facts behind them. This is to put things in perspective. Ghana is not our mate. comparison is foolish because Lagos has lamost the same population as the whole of Ghana and Accura is abou the same size of Owerri, whic isn't even a major city. We should be comparing ourselves to bigger and better countries because Ghana is not anywhere close to nigeria is scope and development

Re: Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by Ikengawo: 8:04am On Apr 06, 2010
i give them credit for having stable electricity (which comes from nigeria by the way due to outdated diplomatic agreements) and a good mature government.
congradulations to them, they've done well for themselves and are a force to be wreckoned with, but Nigeria is a f3984ckin collosus. Lagos alone can buy Ghana, and we're also doing VERY well with a lot of work ahead of us that the new generation of nigerians are eager to conquer!
Re: Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by Ikengawo: 8:08am On Apr 06, 2010
NIGERIA
$319.572 billion
$2,162 Per capita

GHANA
$36.322 billion
$1,571 Per capita

LOL there's NO comparison.

10X the size of ghana's economy and 2x richer.
i dont wanna hear anymore 'now ghana is better then us'
everyone is better then YOU but YOU are not nigeria grin
Re: Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by Spyker: 11:53am On Apr 06, 2010
Comparing wealth should not be the issue, why not compare infrastructure, education, in short basic necessities of life before you conclude. I have never been to Ghana and i don't want to go there but if you look at the way and manner Nigerians are running to Ghana, you will stop comparing.

Re: Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by newmaster(m): 12:09pm On Apr 06, 2010
Posted on: Today at 11:53:03 AMPosted by: Spyker
Insert Quote
Comparing wealth should not be the issue, why not compare infrastructure, education, in short basic necessities of life before you conclude. I have never been to Ghana and i don't want to go there but if you look at the way and manner Nigerians are running to Ghana, you will stop comparing
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thank u bros, comparing ghana to nigeria, nigeria have to put their house in order, no single system that is working in nigeria, ghana is now overtaking us
Re: Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by hardywaltz(m): 12:42pm On Apr 06, 2010
Spyker:

Comparing wealth should not be the issue, why not compare infrastructure, education, in short basic necessities of life before you conclude. I have never been to Ghana and i don't want to go there but if you look at the way and manner Nigerians are running to Ghana, you will stop comparing.
Thanks Men.
Re: Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by SkyBlue1: 12:50pm On Apr 06, 2010
@poster, your concept of wealth might need to be re-examined. What is the cost of living in Ghana? Who is richer in your estimation, a homeless man with $50,000 in cash or a man with a nice big house, power supply, water, security, and $10,000 cash in hand? The ammount of money Nigerians spend on fuel alone for their generators should be enough to change the picture. It is not all about quoting figures you pick up from here and there, it is about being able to analyse the data to obtain a coherent picture.
Re: Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by snowdrops(m): 12:51pm On Apr 06, 2010
Its about quality of life for the common man on the streets and not billions of dollars in earnings/investments that never filter down anyway.
Re: Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by Ikengawo: 3:25pm On Apr 06, 2010
'

NIgeirans are running to Afganistan and Sudan as well. the news has reported both. So do you really think its because Nigeria is a bad place or cause Nigerians are stupid?
There's nigerians running to Chad that i know personally
one ran to senegal and started calling my mother asking for money cause there was 'no jobs' in Senegal LOL
well no sh53$t dum245ass!

Nigerias are running for the sake of running and coming home to say they 'went abroad'. Ghana has nice schools, but so does Nigeria when it comes to all aspects of education the only difference is since there' 150 million ppl in nigeria only the rich can elbow their way into the best schools
idk if its the same in ghana but there's ghanaians in nigeria going to school as well so stop trippinh. Nigeria towers above Ghana ridiculously

Re: Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by Ikengawo: 3:26pm On Apr 06, 2010
Its about quality of life for the common man on the streets and not billions of dollars in earnings/investments that never filter down anyway.

I just posted statistical evidence stating that the quality of life for a nigerian is higher then that of a ghanaian. Nigerias have this pitiful inferiority complex that causes them to LOOK for ppl that are 'better' then them. Its so pathetic. Ghana is not a better country then that of your own, you can relax. stupid ppl good county. .
Re: Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by igbogolo: 3:50pm On Apr 06, 2010
Mr Ikengaawo

This is a useless ghana bashing thread.
Its has never been in dispute that Nigeria is richer than Ghana

My Question is what has the riches been able to do for you?
Does Ghana build a 4.5km road with $500million like in your rich nigeria?

Dividing our GDP by our population is so wrong.
less that 10% of our population loot the treasury.
The remaining live on nothing. As you know, when u divide a small amount by a large population , you get almost zero.
Then you take the WEIGHTED average and then compare it with GHANA.

What is the GDP of rivers alone is greater than GHANA. Can you compare the two states? Ghana is of course better. so what sense does it make to post large GDP where there is only poverty to show for it?? Is it not Bayelsa state that a government accountant pilfered 6.4billion Naira is it not?

Please lets be guided accordingly. Enough of this ghana bashing. We are not any better!

Re: Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by Ikengawo: 4:03pm On Apr 06, 2010
Im not bashing ghana, im posting facts about ghana, you are bashing NIgeria by saying that nigerians 'live on nothing' when nigerians are buying things your salary as a canadian cab driver couldn't fathom in the modern era. lol

i bet you still get calls from relatives claiming they're starving and actually send them the money thinking they're starving when they're fatter then you and have gym membership.
Re: Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by snowdrops(m): 4:21pm On Apr 06, 2010
@ Ikengawo

You are obviously a confused and a troubled soul and have cooked up silly statistics to flatter your ego.
News flash; no one here is fooled or as confused as yourself. So crawl back into the hole you came from. Come back here when you have got something sensible to write.
Re: Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by beystwin: 4:48pm On Apr 06, 2010
There is no question about Naija being richer than Ghana, but I think the bottom line here is that 70% of Nigerians still live below the global poverty line, while in Ghana it's 50%. It's sad, because in the Western nations an average dog lives better than 70% of Nigerians. cry cry cry
Re: Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by Fhemmmy: 5:01pm On Apr 06, 2010
It is not possible to quit comparing.
A nation with less everything and yet have stable govt, stable light, stable financial sector and doing better than Nigeria
Re: Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by Sammy107d(m): 5:13pm On Apr 06, 2010
snowdrops:

@ Ikengawo

You are obviously a confused and a troubled soul and have cooked up silly statistics to flatter your ego.
News flash; no one here is fooled or as confused as yourself. So crawl back into the hole you came from. Come back here when you have got something sensible to write.

Something's gotta be wrong with you people. You just clicked reply to hurl insults at the man without reason and substance. What gratification do you derive from unshaky self-hate. So cos Ikengawo's statistics are positive, he must have pulled them out of nostrils undecided

Ghana is just a few hrs away. Y'all can easily go and eat from their lush pastures.
Re: Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by igbogolo: 6:21pm On Apr 06, 2010
Ikengawo:

Im not bashing ghana, im posting facts about ghana, you are bashing NIgeria by saying that nigerians 'live on nothing' when nigerians are buying things your salary as a canadian cab driver couldn't fathom in the modern era. lol

i bet you still get calls from relatives claiming they're starving and actually send them the money thinking they're starving when they're fatter then you and have gym membership.

Oga,

whats this fixation on canada and their cab drivers? Are u aspiring to be a cab driver in canada? do u think everybody that visit nairaland are lowly people that do dirty jobs in developed countries? I have been to canada twice. yes their cab drivers have better roads, good schools, better medical facilities, sane environment, stable electricity, things that you with your nigerian millions cannot afford. they may be cab drivers but they are still better than you with your useless millions.
You are a typical bitter nigerian, deriving enormous satisfaction from bashing to appease your inferiority complex. Is 'fat' now a measure of wealth? Hiss!

Re: Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by Iwant2know: 6:34pm On Apr 06, 2010
@ Ikengawo

I like you for being so patriotic as a Nigeria,if I have been arguing with a foreigner I will do more than you are doing ,but we are all Nigerians,let just face the facts and stop beating about the bush,putting sentiment aside.Nigeria is the Second highest immigrant in the world behinds Somalia seeking the way to survive abroad.I bet you,if your country is ok,you will not from one day withstand the stress we are going through here in Europe,what as he taking me to come back,but for now I have not seen any visible differences in my dear country.
Re: Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by Nobody: 6:57pm On Apr 06, 2010
Sammy107_d:

Something's gotta be wrong with you people. You just clicked reply to hurl insults at the man without reason and substance. What gratification do you derive from unshaky self-hate. So cos Ikengawo's statistics are positive, he must have pulled them out of nostrils undecided

Ghana is just a few hrs away. Y'all can easily go and eat from their lush pastures.

Sometimes you have got to wonder if these people are really nigerians.
Re: Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by Nobody: 6:59pm On Apr 06, 2010
This nonsense of ''Nigerians are immigrating to Ghana, or Europe, and therefore, Ghana must be ''better'' than Nigeria'' is extremely irritating, and shows thoughtlessness.

Look, today we have over 300,000 CHINESE in Nigeria.

With more arriving by the day.

Does this mean Nigeria is ''better than'' China?

No it doesn't. Fact is nations with huge populations like Nigeria, India, China etc, will, especially if they're developing nations, always have thousands of people emigrating for greener pastures. Most actually leave to take advantage of economic opportunities in less saturated markets, and are not poverty-stricken refugees.

Most Nigerians who leave to set up in Ghana are business people with money who've seen an opportunity out there to make more than they can in Nigeria. This is nothing at all to be ashamed of, and is a sign of rising wealth and confidence among the Nigerian entreprenural class.

Re: Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by oderemo(m): 7:01pm On Apr 06, 2010
haba, kadakada oh,small small. grin grin grin
Re: Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by xterra2(m): 8:50pm On Apr 06, 2010
@poster thank you
IT REALLY ANNOYS ME WHEN PEOPLE COMPARE 9JA AND GHANA -we r better mies apart,richer also
and to those who say infrastructure is the issu be reading ghanian websites of newspapers or better still go for a tour of ghana and see,
Shit country
As former minister of defence said godwin abbey i mean:
If you choose to know the armed forces(whole) of ghana is not more than a brigade of our army
the water ghana generates is not enough to flush toilet in lagos
Re: Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by igbogolo: 10:56pm On Apr 06, 2010
^^^^^

Nigerians big only for mouth.

MOUTH MOUTH!! simple election whoosai! common education whoosai! roads nko whoosai! electricity and security whoosai!! terrorism and armed banditry everywhere. families and economy running on imported generators. a country that imports refined petroleum products. Shame!
Army? of what use is the army to ghana? are they fighting wars? so what if our army is bigger than theirs? when did numbers equate to strength when it comes go military superiority? LOL!

Make una stay there use mouth bad mouth Ghana, a country that is moving in leaps and bounds and have refused to be dragged down by corruption. we now send our wives and kids to ghana to school where they pay in foreign currency. our sisters now go to ghana to give birth and get better health care.
Shebi they have discovered oil. very soon all this una talk about GDP go vanish. Just very soon, they will be exporting petroleum products to Nigeria.

For the mere fact that Nigeria is now being compared to Ghana shows that there is something very wrong with our country.
Re: Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by snowdrops(m): 11:05pm On Apr 06, 2010
Sammy107_d:

See me see this blindman o grin. Did i mention your name in my post? Is he your brother or are you his clone?
Abeg carry your wahala comot here.
If you love Naija so much and see nothing wrong with the enormous problems the country has, why not call yourself Nigeria. Nonsense.
Re: Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by ziga: 11:08pm On Apr 06, 2010
My pellow kwantrimen.

Real champions don't run races and be looking back to see who is close to them. If your game is tight, you will always stand out above all others. Besides, there is so much space at the top.

Quit all these "my father's car is bigger than your father's" style arguments.

I am guessing the poster started this thread coz Nairalanders are so quick to compare Naija with every other country as a yardstick for our country's development.

We don't need to compare us with any other country to justify our needs for development. We all know the things that need to be changed in Nigeria.

If ever we compare, it shouldn't be negative, but it should be because we have something positive to learn from the countries you compare Naija with.

Long live Nigeria and Ghana!!!
Re: Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by EzeUche(m): 11:16pm On Apr 06, 2010
Mehn Ghana is light years ahead of Nigeria.

And it will continue to surpass Nigeria. I have had the pleasure to live in Ghana as well as Nigeria and I must say that Ghana is a much more pleasant place to raise a family than Nigeria.

Electricity has remained constant while in Naija, well. we all know the story.

And darn it I prefer Ghanaian women with their voluptuous bodies. grin
Re: Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by Nobody: 12:12am On Apr 07, 2010
We know that, after all is said and done Nigeria should be comparing itself with far bigger countries than the likes of Ghana.
Re: Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by Mobinga: 12:29am On Apr 07, 2010
NIGERIA IS RICHER SO WHAT?
GHANA IS BETTER.
MORE SANE LEADERS. angry angry
OBASANJO HAS MONEY, IT DOESN'T MEAN HE HAS SENSE MORE THAN SOYINKA.
Re: Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by Ehoi: 12:45am On Apr 07, 2010
Everybody may have their own definition of the term "better".
What is priority for me is first security. Nigeria does not have that and Ghana has it.
Then there are other things like constant electricity which we all know the obvious.

But to a trader, nigeria may be better because of the larger market. So lets not fight over this seeing everyone are likely to have a different opinion depending on where they are coming from.
Re: Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by citizenY(m): 11:49am On Apr 07, 2010
Rich or poor , countries differ in same aspect or the other. The million dollar question is
whether the leadership and structure in place is delivering the ''dividends' that will
make a sane society. In this sense, Nigeria is one big blind country. We must sit up angry
Re: Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by edoyad(m): 12:04pm On Apr 07, 2010
^ For once shocked , may be there's hope for the country after all.
Re: Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. by deb(m): 1:25pm On Apr 07, 2010
How much have you benefitted personally from all the figures you quoted above?
No doubt Nigeria is far richer than Ghana but they are managing the little resources they have very well
and your people are running to their country at every holiday opportunity to go and spend money.

US Partners With Anambra On Agriculture, Oil & Gas, Industrialization & Commerce / Wike Visits Agip Oil Company / Insecurity: Buhari Has Approved Community Policing — IG

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84