Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,088 members, 7,807,247 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:34 AM

Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? (15363 Views)

Buhari Is A Messiah To Re-start Nigeria: Late Ooni Oba Sijuwade / The "Backwardness" Of Nigeria After Hosting FESTAC 77, Myth Or Reality? / Let Us Start Nigeria Ebola Free Awareness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by pheesayor(m): 10:24am On Apr 06, 2010
I've seen some thing like this somewhere on this site before (cant really remember where). People have claimed that Nigeria's problem started with festac 77, saying that God turned his back on Nigeria because of the idol worship of festac 77 (did they worship). Here's part of someone's response on a blog, I feel it's tribalistic though.

Your brother Mr. Olusegun Obasanjo invited and instituted all the foreign and within demons in festac town and called it festival down, what do u expect? Nigerian as of 1977 was spiritually buried and condemned and that was the day the glory of Nigeria was removed, God changed his mind got upset with Nigeria as a country, and the Lagos state government had the guts to also use the tax payers money to support and officiate idol worshiping in Lagos this year 2009 in the name of Eyo Festival which was the burial remembrance of Nigeria, thereby taking Nigerian down the second time, Mr. Adeola or whatever u are called, can u see now that the problem of Nigeria is entirely the bad nature of the Yorubas as wicked tribe.

I wasnt born then so I dont really know what happened but I'm a resident of festac and I dont agree with this.

Can the claim in the above quote be true?
Nairalanders air your view
Re: Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by seyenko(m): 10:49am On Apr 06, 2010
What rubbish! i have asked a friend who said the same thing that when the British imperialist looted all the idols in Benin Kingdom why didn't the export of the idols destroy the British economy which is listed as the 5th largest economy in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benin_Expedition_of_1897

2 Likes

Re: Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by rebranded(m): 11:01am On Apr 06, 2010
seyenko:

What rubbish! i have asked a friend who said the same thing that when the British imperialist looted all the idols in Benin Kingdom why didn't the export of the idols destroy the British economy which is listed as the 5th largest economy in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benin_Expedition_of_1897

Because they took them as artifacts not to worship, it could not have ANY effect

Mind you Obasanjo brought in gods from all over to be celebrated in Nigeria,  @OP you are right, thats when Nigeria's problems started apart from the fact that we have always had problem with who will lead the country

1 Like

Re: Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by pheesayor(m): 11:28am On Apr 06, 2010
rebranded:

Because they took them as artifacts not to worship, it could not have ANY effect

Mind you Obasanjo brought in gods from all over to be celebrated in Nigeria,  @OP you are right, thats when Nigeria's problems started apart from the fact that we have always had problem with who will lead the country

were these idols actually worshiped? ?? shocked shocked shocked
Somone shoul shed more light please
Re: Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by seyenko(m): 12:32pm On Apr 06, 2010
Exactly! please what documentary evidence shows the worship of the idols, if the British invaders could burn down Benin and take all the idols on board a British war ship which did not sink during it voyage to Britain, then all those wooden and iron artifacts are just what they are objects without any demonic forces else British economy should be worse than the Nigerian economy
Re: Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by hardywaltz(m): 2:52pm On Apr 06, 2010
Idol talk. Nigeria's trouble started since 1914 and by 1977 we where already a doomed nation waiting for the catalyst to disintegrate.
Re: Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Apr 06, 2010
I've heard people say that but i dont really know.
Re: Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by Dominoifet(m): 4:55pm On Apr 06, 2010
Yeah!!! that's always d problem when pple r idle they become devils workshop and what do u get from his workshop-trouble. Obj is the cause of all this. He didn't know what to do with Nigeria money that time but to invite demons for festival and what do u do in festivals? Celebrate. It is only God that is worth celebrating not idols.

FESTAC was nothing but mocking God, and God can't b mocked. Nigeria nakedly mocked herself and that is why u c all the mockery and hoax and bloodshed and childish display in governance, its an after-shock of idol worship.

No difference from Haiti, politically.
Re: Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by master2(m): 7:44am On Apr 07, 2010
Nonsense talk. An excuse 4 bad governance and bad followership. What do u say of india and china - countries repute 2 have large no idols and shrines,yet their economy is doing well 2 the envy of the whole world.
Nigeria is one of the most religious country in the world and i don't think God will be so unjust to punish us 4 the so call sin commited in festac 77. God is faithful and just to 4give if we pray and ask 4giviness. How much prayers should nigeria offer 4 the sins of 77 to b atoned? Instead religion has become bane of our development as a country. A typical nigerian will raither pray and "leave am for God" than to b proactive in activities of good governance, we steal and kill in the name of God, politicians will decieve and misrule the electorate along religion sentiment e.g zamfara sharia.
Sycohancy is of the highest order in nigeria. Most nigerians will call white black just 4 a piece of bread e.g the recently dissolve carbinent. Until we begin to say the truth even if it hurt we are going nowhere. Until we all stand up and ask questions on good governance @ every level of govt (eg SNG) wld will remain like this.
Those who are saying that festac 77 is cause of our problem should rethink bcoz as 4 me i think festac 77 brought forex and structural development like festac town in lagos.
NIGERIANS LETS MAKE NIGERIA WORK STARTING FROM OUR HOMES,SCHOOLS, & PLACE OF WORSHIP.SPEAK OUT AND STAND 4 THE TRUTH !!! angry

2 Likes

Re: Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by mothercountry: 8:15pm On May 26, 2013
This is only a continuation of the idea at the beginning of the Trans-Atlantic Slave trade that it was justified to go into Africa and take people because there was a supposed favor being done for a people who lacked true religion. Because of others' misunderstanding of the culture and way of life of people of African decent it is determined that Africans are a confused people. Judgements. Of course if a people is being taken by storm, and then discriminated against and oppressed, of course they will at some point get together and determine how they will end the unwanted invasion.
Re: Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by Nobody: 10:01pm On May 26, 2013
hardywaltz: Idol talk. Nigeria's trouble started since 1914 and by 1977 we where already a doomed nation waiting for the catalyst to disintegrate.

Don't mind them.
Let them continue to chase shadows!

Nigeria was a "problem" created by the Whiteman!

1 Like

Re: Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by Nobody: 10:28pm On May 26, 2013
Na lie joor! Nigeria's problems had started way back before FESTAC 77.Senegal which hosted the first FESTAC event, can't remember the year, is also a developing country like Nigeria and they are doing fine. It was just a festival to celebrate Africa's cultural heritage and not idol worshipping.
@Op, don't you think we should cry out to the government to put the roads in Festac Town in order? Festac Town belongs to the Federal Government. Amuwo Odofin LGA have done their best in rehabilitating the roads but still yet the roads keep getting bad. 22,401,4th avenue roads are an eyesore. I don't reside in Festac anymore but i think you should update us with pictures of the roads in festac town.
Re: Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by IGBOSON1: 11:17pm On May 26, 2013
Leave FESTAC77 alone abeg! A nation that had spilt so much blood to sustain itself, and had swept under the carpet all the attendant issues arising from and preceding the civil war, was always living on borrowed time; and the thin veneer of a happy united nation together with a pseudo economic prosperity sustained on the oyel boom of the 70s was a false dawn for a nation that is yet to find its mojo to this day.

What really did us in was the structural weakness of the federation and the visionless leadership we've had from the military......it has nothing to do with some voodoo shi/t!
Re: Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by bloggernaija: 1:15pm On May 27, 2013
Nigeria's problem started from conception.Festac 77 was a matter of misplaced priority. Just like abuja and a lot of other things in the modern nigeria.

E.g r
1Why is the government spending so much money on romedelling financially unviable airports when simply making them functional would have done the job.london city airport is an example of an airport which handles more traffic in one day than all airports in nigeria but has no terminal.in a few years,just like the Abuja stadium, they will be left to rot away.
The money would have been better spent on the new Niger bridge or even a proper inland port (not that warehouse)

2 the abuja CCTV is another wasteful endeavour especially when the police are unable to take advantage of it and the job was shoddily done. The 470 million dollars spent could easily buy 50000+. Tractors .
Imagine the government training 600000 unemployed graduates has agric extension workers / irrigation associates .sending them to rural areas to assist farmers will definitely boost production and probably reduce prices and importation.

And so on and so forth.
Re: Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by Shephardfriend(m): 10:24am On Dec 14, 2013
hello Good people! Please can anybody send me a link or an attached file of any format of this FESTAC history? I have been searching for a detailed accout of it. So many books I read quoted that event as nagative but I want to read for myself. Thanks for helping
Re: Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by Dammyjohn(m): 2:35am On Mar 16, 2015
pheesayor:
I've seen some thing like this somewhere on this site before (cant really remember where). People have claimed that Nigeria's problem started with festac 77, saying that God turned his back on Nigeria because of the idol worship of festac 77 (did they worship). Here's part of someone's response on a blog, I feel it's tribalistic though.

I wasnt born then so I dont really know what happened but I'm a resident of festac and I dont agree with this.

This is very very true.From the True Confession of a lady called Evangelist Funmilayo Adebayo.She said that that festival that you called Festac 1977 was not just festival but it was done to establish the kingdom of darkness in Nigeria and I believe strongly that was when Nigeria lost her glory as a Nation under GOD before.But I also strongly believe that whoever is bornagain will never lost the Glory as an individual and for that reason GOD sent His only Son JESUS CHRIST to come into this world of sin to die. And redeem us back to GOD!

1 Like

Re: Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by Rossikk(m): 2:53am On Mar 16, 2015
Dammyjohn:

This is very very true.From the True Confession of a lady called Evangelist Funmilayo Adebayo.She said that that festival that you called Festac 1977 was not just festival but it was done to establish the kingdom of darkness in Nigeria and I believe strongly that was when Nigeria lost her glory as a Nation under GOD before.But I also strongly believe that whoever is bornagain will never lost the Glory as an individual and for that reason GOD sent His only Son JESUS CHRIST to come into this world of sin to die. And redeem us back to GOD!

It's the stuff of brainwashed christians. Was there FESTAC when civil war claimed 2 million lives in 1967-71? Nope. Guess we should blame the christian god for that one!
Re: Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by Dammyjohn(m): 4:18pm On Mar 16, 2015
Rossikk:

It's the stuff of brainwashed christians. Was there FESTAC when civil war claimed 2 million lives in 1967-71? Nope. Guess we should blame the christian god for that one!
Not the work of brainwashed christain but the work of formal President Olusegun Obasanjo during militry regime.

1 Like

Re: Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by xammyx(m): 11:18am On Apr 21, 2015
pheesayor:

Yes is true, Festac 77 events was not Godly at all ...
Re: Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by Nobody: 11:36am On Apr 21, 2015
Dammyjohn:

Not the work of brainwashed christain but the work of formal President Olusegun Obasanjo during militry regime.
That is rubbish. So why don't you blame IBB, Buhari, Shagari and Abacha for whatever happened in their time? What had Festac to do with it? And OBJ had next to no role in the civil war so what ignorant nonsense are you typing? You children who know nothing just come in here typing garbage. You should be in a classroom.
Re: Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by Nobody: 11:38am On Apr 21, 2015
xammyx:

Yes is true, Festac 77 events was not Godly at all ...
My friend shut your dirty mouth. You are a lost slave if you think celebrating African culture is "ungodly". In fact it shows you are mentally sick to suggest such. You need psychiatric attention.

1 Like

Re: Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by xammyx(m): 11:49am On Jun 28, 2015
ROSSIKE:
My friend shut your dirty mouth. You are a lost slave if you think celebrating African culture is "ungodly". In fact it shows you are mentally sick to suggest such. You need psychiatric attention.
How old are u. And if ur Dad don't agree with u. Do u tell him to shut up even if u are right. Do u have to insult an individual b4 u address an issue. I would have done d same. But I kW better rossike.
U can't go far in life with that attidue. At work u will labelled as .... Not professional.
Learn how to communicate without been abusive.
Am on top. Learn to be.
Good Day
Re: Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by xammyx(m): 11:52am On Jun 28, 2015
xammyx:

How old are u. And if ur Dad don't agree with u. Do u tell him to shut up even if u are right. Do u have to insult an individual b4 u address an issue. I would have done d same. But I kW better rossike.
U can't go far in life with that attidue. At work u will labelled as .... Not professional.
Learn how to communicate without been abusive.
Am on top. Learn to be.
Good Day
Re: Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by akoaki(m): 12:02pm On Jun 28, 2015
Nigerians are mentally lazy and unwilling to seek new knowledge. We tend to view issues from the position of ignorance by ascribing spiritual explanations to physical challenges. Nigeria has continued to fail not because of a certain festival but because our past and present leaders have not served us well; the various regimes have failed to give efficient and effective governance and the citizenry has been complicit due to their persistent docility and complacency.
Re: Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by gentlesoulx(m): 12:47pm On Aug 18, 2015
The onus is on us as good citizens of this nation to work towards lifting this country up. Trying to label one thing or the other as the reason for the situation of the country won't change anything. We should always be optimistic about our chances of succeeding as a nation .
Re: Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by Vickbay: 12:53pm On Aug 18, 2015
Make money online by simply reading News headlines.
That easy you say? Yes that easy, simply click, read and get paid
check it out here http://lines-news.com/p53584
You'll be glad you did..
Re: Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by Fidelis123: 10:48pm On Oct 07, 2015
That is black mentality we don't know how to value what we have, that's why we are slaves to the white because they colonize us to value only what they do or practice... Christianity is from the white and Islam is from the middle east.... How many of Africa religion is practiced among the white today? Festac is what we are suppose to be proud of... Festival is celebrated all over the world even in civilized America.
Festac is not our problem our problem is our brain (mental slavery)
Re: Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by BALLOSKI: 4:09am On Oct 08, 2015
That was the begining of our problem. Airports and land borders were thrown open for visitors to come with all sorts of fetish stuffs. That was the time was actually imported into Nigeria.
Re: Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by ping2date: 6:00pm On Jan 31, 2017
all of u comparing what happened in Nigeria in 77 to that of Britain are nothing but bunch of. let me reserve my comment

meanwhile' how can you compare a person who obtained car to ride on it to a person who bought the same car to worship it as gods?

Nigeria is doomed.
Re: Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by Ndipe(m): 3:46am On Nov 08, 2017
So, what of the African masks that have been looted and stored in the West, why have they not collapsed economically?
Re: Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by kuntash: 10:51am On Feb 26, 2018
This post just resurfaced on TV a while ago..

What if this claim it's true?
Re: Did Festac 77 Start Nigeria's Problem? by Wettoid123: 2:30am On Nov 05, 2022
Somebody just told me something about the effect of festac 77, that the problem of Nigeria starred after then so I have to Google it and I saw this post how truthful is this?

(1) (Reply)

Muatapha Asaija, Supporters Decamp To PDP In Kebbi / Obiora Okonkwo: Everybody In Anambra Is Talking About Zenith Labour Party Now / DPR Director Vows To Expose Accomplices In N3bn Contract Scam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.