Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,947 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:48 PM

A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. (5571 Views)

Nigerians React To Amaechi's Confirmation As Minister Online / PDP Senators Walk Out As Senate Confirms Amaechi As Minister (Photos) / APC Wants Obanikoro Banned From Public Office, Adesiyan Sacked As Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by hillsate: 8:11pm On Apr 06, 2010
The new minister of health, Alh Suleiman bello is a nurse. last week the nigeria medical association insisted that the head of health ministry must be a medical practitioner ( subtly, a medical doctor). The NMA have always also insisted that they are the most important and superior in the medical setting. I'm glad that Jonathan called their bluff by putting the 'lowest' in cadre of the medical profession as head of the health ministry. This sholud teach the NMA that everyone in the health sector is very important.
NMA, YOU CAN NOW GO ON STRIKE!
Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by hillsate: 8:13pm On Apr 06, 2010
ALHAJI SULEIMAN BELLO Alhaji Suleiman Bello hails from Gusau Local Government Area of Zamfara State and was born on the 20thof October, 1950. He had his Primary and Secondary school education Gusau and Government Secondary School Sokoto. He further went to the School of Nursing Kano from 1969 to1970 and the School of Nursing Katsina between1970 and1973 where he obtained a registered nurse certificate. He also attended the Institute of Management and Technology (I.M.T.) Enugu. Alhaji Bello obtained a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing and minor degree in Political Science with emphasis in Public Administration from Fort Hays State University, Fort Hays, Kansas U.S.A in 1984. He equally had a Masters Degree in Educational Administration and Planning from Usman Dan Fodio University Sokoto. Alhaji Suleiman Bello has among other positions, been a lecturer, school of Nursing Sokoto; Project manager, Sokoto Health Project (World Bank Assisted Project); Director General, Ministry of Health Zamfara State and Permanent Secretary Ministry of Health Zamfara State. In addition to having attended numerous national and international workshops, Alhaji S. Bello was at a time, Board member, Usman Dan Fodio University Teaching Hospital Sokoto; Chairman of the state Ministry of Health, Health Manpower Development Committee, and Chairman Drug revolving fund scheme review committee in the state Ministry of Health, Sokoto among other positions

Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by Nobody: 8:13pm On Apr 06, 2010
lol its not an NMA problem, its a testament to the stupidi.ty of Nigeria's leaders. A nurse is head of the ministry of health? What next? A trader will be minister of labour? oopps we already have stuff like that.
Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by Nobody: 8:35pm On Apr 06, 2010
so we're finding a way to praise Jonathan for this?
Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by hatch: 8:42pm On Apr 06, 2010
Topic @ : Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded.

May jealousy and envy kill all the ego headed haters here grin
Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by Nobody: 8:48pm On Apr 06, 2010
^^ and that (raining curses on the "haters"wink is the solution to Nigeria's lack of health infrastructure. wink
Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by hatch: 8:50pm On Apr 06, 2010
^^^ May be cool
Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by Nobody: 8:50pm On Apr 06, 2010
tpia.:

^^ and that (raining curses on the "haters"wink is the solution to Nigeria's lack of health infrastructure. wink

Its ok as long as the likes of Abubakar Rimi reap the fruits of this idiocy.
Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by Enjoyment1(f): 8:55pm On Apr 06, 2010
Na wah for this country shocked shocked shocked
Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by Nobody: 8:57pm On Apr 06, 2010
They can shove their petiton up their (Ah, the bad part about being a mod is that i can swear)
Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by oderemo(m): 9:01pm On Apr 06, 2010
Manchester UnitedThe Best of the Best of the Best of The Best.[/quote
that is some swear word right there. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by hillsate: 9:31pm On Apr 06, 2010
The Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria (PSN) has kicked against a statement credited to the President of the Nigeria Medical Association (NMA), Dr Prosper Igboeli, insisting that the in-coming Minister of Health must be a medical doctor. Igboeli also threatened that medical doctors will cripple the health sector as well as make it impossible to achieve stability in the totality of its endeavours if a non-medical doctor is appointed minister.

Read more
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/goodhealth/2010/apr/06/goodhealth-06-04-2010-01.htm

What arrogance! If the doctors do not cripple the health sector with the appointment of their inferior as minister of health then they should hide their face under the pillow and weep.
Cripple ko . . .
Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by Nobody: 9:43pm On Apr 06, 2010
ode remo:

Lol, I go ban u oh grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by Dominoifet(m): 10:37pm On Apr 06, 2010
The docs need not bother themselves.
They careless. How many of them- president, FEC, senators, rep, governors, chairmen etc do patronise d ministry of health or its service dispensing arm- general hospital? None, Its for the common man.

Maybe they have been trying Med Prac in d past and with little or no result. Which informed their choice that the nurse will deliver, and if he don't they should try an auxiliary nurse. Nigeria sure knows how to go down the drain.
Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by snowdrops(m): 11:00pm On Apr 06, 2010
Dominoifet:

The docs need not bother themselves.
They careless. How many of them- president, FEC, senators, rep, governors, chairmen etc do patronise d ministry of health or its service dispensing arm- general hospital? None, Its for the common man.

Maybe they have been trying Med Prac in d past and with little or no result. Which informed their choice that the nurse will deliver, and if he don't they should try an auxiliary nurse. Nigeria sure knows how to go down the drain.
Good point. PDP did not have enough credible medical doctors to choose from before appointing the minister. I am sure if they had they would have selected a doctor as had always been the norm.
This should teach the doctors a lesson; majority allow themselves to be swallowed up in clinical and academic work and simply ignore politics, the few that delve into it are either not brave enough to progress or get fixed in juicy positions.
We should not kid ourselves, appointing a nurse is going to be a disaster. He cannot command the respect of health professionals and would struggle in organising and managing the various tiers in the health sector.
Same goes for a country like britain, who her most recent health minister [equivalent] was a wait for it, POST MASTER. Luckily he surrounded himself with good advisers who literarily ran the ministry.
Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by hobat4cash(m): 11:03pm On Apr 06, 2010
Ordinarily i would not respond to silly comments, but i will like to ask what makes people think that by appointing a nurse we are retrogressing? Is that nurse not a graduate like any medical doctor? It makes me sick when people look down on others. so it is only a medical doctor that can lead the health ministry? hisssssss maybe it should be called medical doctors ministry.
Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by snowdrops(m): 11:07pm On Apr 06, 2010
hobat4cash:

Ordinarily i would not respond to silly comments, but i will like to ask what makes people think that by appointing a nurse we are retrogressing? Is that nurse not a graduate like any medical doctor? It makes me sick when people look down on others. so it is only a medical doctor that can lead the health ministry? hisssssss maybe it should be called medical doctors ministry.
Are you a nurse or a medical doctor? If not, you are not fit to comment on this issue. Simply read and digest others opinion, or keep hissing as i see you are a snake. Nonsense.
Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by violent(m): 11:09pm On Apr 06, 2010
And what exactly have Doctors achieved in the said Ministries in the past?

shame on them!
Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by ziga: 11:17pm On Apr 06, 2010
snowdrops:

Good point. PDP  did not have enough credible medical doctors to choose from before appointing the minister. I am sure if they had they would have selected a doctor as had always been the norm.
This should teach the doctors a lesson; majority allow themselves to be swallowed up in clinical and academic work and simply ignore politics, the few that delve into it are either not brave enough to progress or get fixed in juicy positions.
We should not kid ourselves, appointing a nurse is going to be a disaster. He cannot command the respect of health professionals and would struggle in organising and managing the various tiers in the health sector.
Same goes for a country like britain, who her most recent health minister [equivalent] was a wait for it, POST MASTER. Luckily he surrounded himself with good advisers who literarily ran the ministry.

If the heads in Nigeria are like this, then there is really no problem with anybody running any ministry. He will just act as a team leader.

Unfortunately, in Nigeria, the heads are the alpha and omegas, and they will do and undo and make decisions that they have no knowledge about. And anybody who tries to even offer good suggestions will be seen as a being a threat and insubordinate, and will be severely dealt with.
Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by Nobody: 11:26pm On Apr 06, 2010
ziga:

If the heads in Nigeria are like this, then there is really no problem with anybody running any ministry. He will just act as a team leader.

Unfortunately, in Nigeria, the heads are the alpha and omegas, and he will do and undo and make decisions that he has no knowledge about. And anybody who tries to even offer good suggestions will be seen as a being a threat and insubordinate, and will be severely dealt with.
Exactly. People need to know this before attacking others. Whether they accept it or not, the training doctors receive is no where comparable to other health professionals, with all due respect to them.
And again, i know this would raise a few eyebrows, doctors on average have a much higher IQ than nurses. Imagine when we all were in secondary school, the most brilliant guys/girls where did 70% of them end up? How many of them went on to be nurses? JAMB cut off marks, tell me year on year, whats that for medicine compared with other faculties? Whats the entry criteria to be a nurse? How many gcse/o levels are needed?
You cant deny the fact that you need a smart and intelligent person to be your number one health officer, because its human lives we are talking about and not machines.
Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by Tittos: 11:43pm On Apr 06, 2010
first of all its not in the constitution that the minister of health has to be a doctor,and the man's cv suggests that he is intelligent and has a high level of management experience.i think its very myopic to say it has to be a doctor.once the person is in the medical field and has enough knowledge of the challenges rocking the ministry he should be allowed to head the ministry/
Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by Tittos: 11:45pm On Apr 06, 2010
first of all its not in the constitution that the minister of health has to be a doctor,and the man's cv suggests that he is intelligent and has a high level of management experience.i think its very myopic to say it has to be a doctor.once the person is in the medical field and has enough knowledge of the challenges rocking the ministry he should be allowed to head the ministry/
Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by buffox: 11:54pm On Apr 06, 2010
I think we should apply common sense and stop over analysing this thing.

From the profile above, the man has held top management positions within the health sector in his state; what were his achievements there? Those are the questions we need to be asking. But as typical nigerians, we judge them by the tiniest detail of their degree. The most important thing here is that he is not a novice in the sector. He cannot be bamboozled.

So who should we have as the Minister of education? A professor of neurology, cos its more difficult than being a professor of history - give me a break abeg!

With a zeal to change, experience of the sector, and experience in the top level administration, there should not be any problems.

P.S Don't ask cos I am not a doctor/nurse but it is plain to see that this is common sense, not a surgical theater!
Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by Mobinga: 12:34am On Apr 07, 2010
aisha2:

Lol, I go ban u oh grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin EVEN ME TOO
Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by olaolabiy: 1:04am On Apr 07, 2010
stupidity radiates in many nigerians.so doctors are this daft as well?tell me, what informs this statement from them? i don't know.so,they think they are superior? so, a nurse-no matter how experienced-cannot lead a ministry? well,the last time i checked, no nigerian doctor has been credited with any medical breakthrough or discovery. none has invented anything. yet they see themselves as some sort of geniuses. all they do is read and understand oyinbo's book.
Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by irohadis: 1:42am On Apr 07, 2010
Exactly. People need to know this before attacking others. Whether they accept it or not, the training doctors receive is no where comparable to other health professionals, with all due respect to them.
And again, i know this would raise a few eyebrows, doctors on average have a much higher IQ than nurses. Imagine when we all were in secondary school, the most brilliant guys/girls where did 70% of them end up? How many of them went on to be nurses? JAMB cut off marks, tell me year on year, whats that for medicine compared with other faculties? Whats the entry criteria to be a nurse? How many gcse/o levels are needed?
You cant deny the fact that you need a smart and intelligent person to be your number one health officer, because its human lives we are talking about and not machines.

The above is the kind of ignorance that has lead us no where.

I am a academic and wife is a doctor. I have the experience of teaching both gifted and average students. Let me tell you: 1) that leadership is not dependent on academic intelligence, 2) Memory recall which is the basis for passing uni. exams in Nigeria is different from critical thinking (to evaluate the merits if diff. sides of a debate). The doctor who remembers everything in the book to pass his exams may not necessarily be a critical thinker or a critical humanist (to question the implications of all action on humanity). The last two are necessary for leadership and management. My experience living and working with Ph.Ds and doctors suggest they are by no means better qualified for leadership than a nurse. In fact a Nurse with an added degree in public health management or any management training or experience is better qualified to run a hospital or the health ministry than a brain surgeon.

The cry by NMA is just plain prejudiced, elitist and any thing but noble. I have no sympathy for them and I think they should bow their heads in shame and let the NURSE prove himself. Decades of appointing same NMA doctors to the ministry has gotten us where?
Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by Dominoifet(m): 2:08am On Apr 07, 2010
@buffox

So who should we have as the Minister of education? A professor of neurology, cos its more difficult than being a professor of history - give me a break abeg!

Ur analogy is out of place as u can not compare ministry of education with health.

All u need for Edu is an educationist who has some qual and he/she is proven. With health case is different as it boils down on being alive and continuity of life it has to b handled by the best heads.

Can we say that a VC must b a professor of Neurology to b a VC? No, but it will do well for standard if the professor of neurolgy is head of med col than a nurse as head. His skills r needed there

This is common sense. If u r sick will u go to a nurse or to a doctor?
Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by buffox: 2:27am On Apr 07, 2010
^^ My analogy with education was the fact that someone above (Irohadis) talks about Doctors having higher IQs than nurses. How does book-smartness help ur management skills? Therefore my analogy stands.

It seems a lot of people do not even understand what it takes to be the minister of health. Sheer knowledge does not get anybody anywhere. You need to be able to handle the political and social aspects of it. All we need is a rounded person who is able to maximise their knowledge and pull together social and political resources to get the DOCTORS AND THE SECTOR IN GENERAL responsive to its duties!

Is the minister going to the operation theatres to save lives?

In the same way, we must have pilots as aviation minsters then abi? Afterall aviation is a safety conscious space as well.

Finally, you have really lost me with your analogy - "This is common sense. If u r sick will u go to a nurse or to a doctor?" how does that fit in here??
Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by Dominoifet(m): 2:34am On Apr 07, 2010
^ how does that fit in

Answer first
Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by buffox: 2:36am On Apr 07, 2010
**looking forward to the next sensible post**
Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by Dominoifet(m): 2:41am On Apr 07, 2010
^ try to b calm and not b hot?

I only asked a question u r evading

Quote u

Is the minister going to the operation theatres to save lives?

He should b able to relate with what it takes and how to best improve the services
Re: A Nurse As Minister Of Health: Nma's Petition Disregarded. by Dominoifet(m): 2:42am On Apr 07, 2010
And this will happen if he has been there b4

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Aftermath Of Tambuwal’s Defection: Presidency, PDP Move Against Emeka Ihedioha / Brief History Of Port Harcourt. / Buhari Was Ask About P.h.c.n.plc ,he Responded..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.