Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,014 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:25 AM

Let's Hope The Next 12 Months Wouldn't Be Another Waste Of Time. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Let's Hope The Next 12 Months Wouldn't Be Another Waste Of Time. (598 Views)

You Wouldn't Believe What This Principal Did At The Assembly Ground / The Hands Of Time. / Very Short Story: Waste Of Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Hope The Next 12 Months Wouldn't Be Another Waste Of Time. by Derajoyce(f): 7:02am On Dec 31, 2017
“I do not wish to hide my origins, nor do I seek to make it a subject of conversation. I am what I am,” but I can change, I should change.

Year endings are sentimental, and it’s not just about the hullabaloo about Christmas and a new year, it more. It’s a tripod- Christmas, new-year and my birthday all one week apart. It’s about the time when I write a ridiculously long list of all the things I should accomplish before the coming year runs out. This year took a different turn as I reviewed my previous list in comparison to my present state, it sucked. Frankly, I sucked at it.

• I didn’t beat my challenge of writing 1000 words daily, I still do not even write every day,
• I barely called my family and if I dared to, most likely because I had heard unpleasant news.
• I didn’t express my feelings as often as I should; heck I think my lips can’t properly pronounce ‘I love you.’
• My plan to eat clean was indeed laughable compared to the reality. I didn’t exercise as much as I intended to.
• I complained about things I shouldn’t and sometimes I perceive my own ingratitude and it stinks.
• I didn’t pray regularly except I was in dire need of help or a listening ear – it was usually the last thing.
• I forgot to be more generous to strangers and quite frankly, I willingly choose to ignore most times.
• I indulged in harmless gossip and criticised people. In my defense, it was hard to resist a good gist corner
• I still struggle with my dining etiquette, half of which I hardly take the time to practice.
• I still squander valuable time on Instagram, half the time drooling and wishing I looked like a bunch of other girls, with smoother skin, longer hair and rounded hips. My self confidence still dwindles. I have insecurities.
• At work, I still wonder how I got there and why I’m still there.
• I often size people up.
• I found that I’m uncertain about my purpose; I think I’ve found it then I snap back into a state of uncertainty in a matter of minutes.
• I barely read as much as I pretend to and definitely not close to 1 book weekly.
• My love life is practically non-existent
• I cry because it feels better, I’m scared to be vulnerable and I fret over little issues.

This damn near pathetic list with gruesome details of inadequacies scarcely covers the truth.

“Character isn’t something you were born with and can’t change, like your fingerprints. It’s something you weren’t born with and must take responsibility for forming.” Jim Rohn

One thing I realised while writing this was, it seemed easier to work on my job and school than work on myself. The reasons I could think of were; no one is perfect, building character lacks urgency.
I find with goals outside character building, there are usually monetary value and a dose of admiration from a third party. No one cheers or claps whenever you lend a helping hand to strangers, it’s a personal contentment.
No one gives you a raise for having a good heart, at least not directly nor immediately.

But a perfect gpa, or getting a new job, losing some weight sure gets more attention. So it’s understandable that we would rather throw ourselves into our work, school, project or whatever it is that we do than focus on the most important seemingly far-fetched obligation of sorting out our character.

“Learn to work harder on yourself than your job. If you work hard on your job, you can make a living. But if you work hard on yourself you’ll make a fortune.” Jim Rohn

The list above exposes weakness and awe-inspiring opportunity for growth. I accepted the truth and I decided to write down how I would like to be like. This is what I’ll be keeping;

• I write at least 1000 words every day.
• I have an intimate relationship with God.
• I’m generous and I pay close attention to the needs of people.
• I treat people the way I want to be treated.
• I am mindful of what I say, I speak only with love.
• I am highly creative and innovative.
• I devote time and energy to continuous learning and improving every aspect of my life.

“One is to be admired for rebuilding himself, not judged”. (From the movie, Last knights)

Sadly we’re accustomed to negative behaviour and we expect it, it shouldn’t be baffling when we are met with cynical remarks when attempting to follow through with the goal of becoming a better person. Don’t fall for it and do not do it either, give people a chance to be better even if it’s just an act.

“I do not wish to hide my origins, nor do I seek to make it a subject of conversation. I am what I am,” Ryan Giggs

http://jaysmind.com.ng/2017/12/31/lets-hope-the-next-12-months-wont-be-another-waste-of-time/

2 Likes

Re: Let's Hope The Next 12 Months Wouldn't Be Another Waste Of Time. by dingbang(m): 7:14am On Dec 31, 2017
Kay
Re: Let's Hope The Next 12 Months Wouldn't Be Another Waste Of Time. by kalu61(m): 9:02am On Dec 31, 2017
I'm impressed with your resolutions but most times there is this part of us we may not change.l'm introvert and they are many atimes l have taken decision only to discover that if we change a thing about us we lose our original self.Do your best and leave the rest.1000words everyday.l would like to read those words

1 Like

Re: Let's Hope The Next 12 Months Wouldn't Be Another Waste Of Time. by AntiNormal(m): 2:37am On Jan 01, 2018
Derajoyce:
“I do not wish to hide my origins, nor do I seek to make it a subject of conversation. I am what I am,” but I can change, I should change.

Year endings are sentimental, and it’s not just about the hullabaloo about Christmas and a new year, it more. It’s a tripod- Christmas, new-year and my birthday all one week apart. It’s about the time when I write a ridiculously long list of all the things I should accomplish before the coming year runs out. This year took a different turn as I reviewed my previous list in comparison to my present state, it sucked. Frankly, I sucked at it.

• I didn’t beat my challenge of writing 1000 words daily, I still do not even write every day,
• I barely called my family and if I dared to, most likely because I had heard unpleasant news.
• I didn’t express my feelings as often as I should; heck I think my lips can’t properly pronounce ‘I love you.’
• My plan to eat clean was indeed laughable compared to the reality. I didn’t exercise as much as I intended to.
• I complained about things I shouldn’t and sometimes I perceive my own ingratitude and it stinks.
• I didn’t pray regularly except I was in dire need of help or a listening ear – it was usually the last thing.
• I forgot to be more generous to strangers and quite frankly, I willingly choose to ignore most times.
• I indulged in harmless gossip and criticised people. In my defense, it was hard to resist a good gist corner
• I still struggle with my dining etiquette, half of which I hardly take the time to practice.
• I still squander valuable time on Instagram, half the time drooling and wishing I looked like a bunch of other girls, with smoother skin, longer hair and rounded hips. My self confidence still dwindles. I have insecurities.
• I found that I’m uncertain about my purpose; I think I’ve found it then I snap back into a state of uncertainty in a matter of minutes.
• I barely read as much as I pretend to and definitely not close to 1 book weekly.
• I cry because it feels better, I’m scared to be vulnerable and I fret over little issues.

This damn near pathetic list with gruesome details of inadequacies scarcely covers the truth.

“Character isn’t something you were born with and can’t change, like your fingerprints. It’s something you weren’t born with and must take responsibility for forming.” Jim Rohn

One thing I realised while writing this was, it seemed easier to work on my job and school than work on myself. The reasons I could think of were; no one is perfect, building character lacks urgency.
I find with goals outside character building, there are usually monetary value and a dose of admiration from a third party. No one cheers or claps whenever you lend a helping hand to strangers, it’s a personal contentment.
No one gives you a raise for having a good heart, at least not directly nor immediately.

But a perfect gpa, or getting a new job, losing some weight sure gets more attention. So it’s understandable that we would rather throw ourselves into our work, school, project or whatever it is that we do than focus on the most important seemingly far-fetched obligation of sorting out our character.

“Learn to work harder on yourself than your job. If you work hard on your job, you can make a living. But if you work hard on yourself you’ll make a fortune.” Jim Rohn

The list above exposes weakness and awe-inspiring opportunity for growth. I accepted the truth and I decided to write down how I would like to be like. This is what I’ll be keeping;

• I devote time and energy to continuous learning and improving every aspect of my life.

“One is to be admired for rebuilding himself, not judged”. (From the movie, Last knights)

Sadly we’re accustomed to negative behaviour and we expect it, it shouldn’t be baffling when we are met with cynical remarks when attempting to follow through with the goal of becoming a better person. Don’t fall for it and do not do it either, give people a chance to be better even if it’s just an act.

“I do not wish to hide my origins, nor do I seek to make it a subject of conversation. I am what I am,” Ryan Giggs

http://jaysmind.com.ng/2017/12/31/lets-hope-the-next-12-months-wont-be-another-waste-of-time/

Very relatable... Especially the stuff about writing a 1,000 words a day...
Seriously though... Reading this post kinda scared me... It was like you were in my mind and just idly flipping through the pages of my psyche...

Hang in there... It gets better...

Also, what genres do you write?
I'd love to see some of your work...

1 Like

Re: Let's Hope The Next 12 Months Wouldn't Be Another Waste Of Time. by Derajoyce(f): 7:40am On Jan 01, 2018
Hey it feels good when someone else understands.
You can check my blog out www.jaysmind.ng
I'd love to read your work too.
Re: Let's Hope The Next 12 Months Wouldn't Be Another Waste Of Time. by AntiNormal(m): 12:04pm On Jan 01, 2018
Derajoyce:
Hey it feels good when someone else understands.
You can check my blog out www.jaysmind.ng
I'd love to read your work too.

Okay, so I clicked on the link a bunch of times... It didn't work...
Re: Let's Hope The Next 12 Months Wouldn't Be Another Waste Of Time. by Derajoyce(f): 2:04pm On Jan 01, 2018
Oh I'm sorry, that's actually www.jaysmind.com.ng
My bad[color=#000099][/color] cry
Re: Let's Hope The Next 12 Months Wouldn't Be Another Waste Of Time. by Missnande(f): 2:34pm On Jan 01, 2018
Your topic caught my attention. I was like: Are you trying to say we wasted the last 12? lol

Concerning your first goal,most times we set wild goals without knowing our strength first. There are 3 things involved here: writing,writing daily and writing a thousand words daily. Take it step by step and focus on consistency,trust me you won't even realise when you hit your goal.
Re: Let's Hope The Next 12 Months Wouldn't Be Another Waste Of Time. by AntiNormal(m): 3:54pm On Jan 01, 2018
Derajoyce:
Oh I'm sorry, that's actually www.jaysmind.com.ng
My bad[color=#000099][/color] cry

Got it...

Dude... I read just one article - just one - and it hit me hard...
You've got real talent, and a way with words that's just an art...
You go girl!

1 Like

Re: Let's Hope The Next 12 Months Wouldn't Be Another Waste Of Time. by sochey(f): 5:44pm On Jan 01, 2018
Derajoyce:

Dang it jay!!!
When I started reading this post of yours, I thought I couldn't ride it through. But I was like : hey sochey............
So i read on and got to realize that everything you wrote speaks more of me too..although I just finished sec school, I still think I wasted the last 6 months after exams doing absolutely nothing...had a lot of ups and downs though but I thank the master of cosmos I wasn't swallowed at last. I really need a mentor, and I wish if you could sieze an opportunity to get to know me and vice versa.... I also want to write but I get distracted,I have that thing in me......
Happy new year to us smiley

2 Likes

Re: Let's Hope The Next 12 Months Wouldn't Be Another Waste Of Time. by Derajoyce(f): 6:42pm On Jan 01, 2018
Hey, I like to think that everyone goes through the "i-don't-know" phase, where you're unsure about everything. I'd like to help with the writing, we could help each other. Please check my profile and send mail, I'd love to hear from you.
Re: Let's Hope The Next 12 Months Wouldn't Be Another Waste Of Time. by Derajoyce(f): 6:46pm On Jan 01, 2018
kalu61:
I'm impressed with your resolutions but most times there is this part of us we may not change.l'm introvert and they are many atimes l have taken decision only to discover that if we change a thing about us we lose our original self.Do your best and leave the rest.1000words everyday.l would like to read those words

Thanks true talk, you can check my blog at www.jaysmind.com.ng

(1) (Reply)

Cultism Why? She Wailed And Asked! / 43 Things About Life That Would Never Occur To You Till Death! / Who Knows Where I Can Download FREE Novels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.