Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,067 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:31 AM

Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University (22951 Views)

See The Public University In Nigeria Where Electricity Runs 24/7 (photos) / 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University / Which Public University Is The Best In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Nobody: 1:07pm On Dec 31, 2017
A Counter Thread!

Incredibly Poor Quality of Education
Public Universities in Nigeria undeniably have the poorest quality of education. From too large classes with poor teaching aids to very poorly equipped laboratories to non existent academic support-Public Universities in Nigeria are the exact definition of HOW NOT TO RUN A UNIVERSITY.
In comparison private universities have smaller classes-which gives lecturers the ability to teach, impact and follow up Knowledge transfer. Also According to former NUC President, Peter Okebukola Covenant University has the highest per capita investment having spent 70 billion on 13,000 graduates as at 2013. According to NUC, about 40% of Equipment in ABUAD Mechatronics Dept are not present in any other public University. Also the President of Biotechnology Society of Nigeria also commented that Covenant university has the best Biology(Molecular Bio lab) in all of Nigeria.

Public Universities aid Criminality
Who doesn't know that Lautech is the Den of Internet Fraudsters? Public Universities generally aid all sorts of vices that are never found in Private Universities e.g Cultism, Cyber fraud, Sexual Assault etc. In contrast Private Universities are the true certifiers of "Character and Learning" - Students are monitored closely and there are huge consequences to erring which serves as deterrence to possible future offenders.
Also 99% of the Corrupt politicians in public service today graduated from public universities and started their criminality way from School. Have you heard of claims of OAU SUG looting association funds? Have you ever heard Covenant, Landmark and Abuad SUG loot anything even though they equally handle millions?

Poor Academic Support
Students of Public Schools are discouraged from succeeding in life - they are taught not to aspire for the best and if they do they are cut down. Many public universities take glory in depriving students of their deserved grades even though foreign universities like imperial college graduates about 41% of their graduating class as First class in their last convocation ceremony. This invariably affects the pysche of most graduates of public universities that they develop a sort of Stockholm syndrome where they actually appreciate the abuse and allow it foster where they eventually get to work. They end up believing that Stress is equal to Quality.Today most private universities have about 10% first class rate which is very encouraging.

Erratic and Poor Campus Conditions
From poor power supply, to poor residential arrangement to careless citing of Academic infrastructure. Public Universities are once again the way not to run a Universities. Many public universities house people on campuses like feral rats. Much of their residences are not fit for criminals in saner climes. Their libraries are usually deficit of good books and the ones available are usually torn.

Unstable Academic Calander
The only thing as unstable as public universities calendar is Nigeria's electricity supply. Public universities are erratic and complicated. If it is not ASUU it is NASU or NAAT or whatever. This is the complete opposite in private universities where staff development is prioritised and the lecturers can teach at their best rather than concentrating on teaching and imparting and not when next to have a show down with govt.

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Nobody: 1:11pm On Dec 31, 2017
I know they would soon come and tell us that Private Universities are for people who couldn't enter Public universities or that they are schools for small kids
I am waiting for ya cheesy

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Nobody: 1:12pm On Dec 31, 2017
Mirand606:
I know they would soon come and tell us that Private Universities are for people who couldn't enter Public universities or that they are schools for small kids
Eleyi brutal gan o

Well Covenant university has always been the first University to matriculate students for each new academic sessions in Nigeria for over Five-Ten years now. CU screening was done in June/July this year and when WAEC was released in August/September the admission list came out in same September.

The 2017/2018 CU matriculation was done in October 2017 with 40% of total applicants admitted, Of which 90% of total applicants are usually first time jambites of about 15-17 years of age. Babcock, ABUAD and Landmark also did their matriculations in November 2017. That says something crucial about those four universities-they are not waiting for Public University "left overs" and their students were not interested in public universities to begin with.

However most other private universities don't get enough students and have to wait till next year when public universities would have bounced a lot of ppl who would then seek Private Unis. So the argument of Ppl going to private universities when they are not able to get into public ones is only relevant to private universities like Samuel adegboyega, lead city, kolaidaisi, Christopher uni, McPherson uni, Acheivers uni and lately Igbinedion.

Private Universities like Covenant, AUN, Landmark, ABUAD, Baze, Babcock are known brands who get more than enough applications than they need.

I Graduated from Covenant and I would proceed to University of Luxembourg for Masters in Wealth Creation. I would choose Hebron now, again and again forever if I had to do it again.

Cc Chiefolododo

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by chiefolododo(m): 1:15pm On Dec 31, 2017
Nonsense. Most students at private universities cannot pass JAMB

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by chiefolododo(m): 1:33pm On Dec 31, 2017
Statsocial:

Eleyi brutal gan o

Well Covenant university has always been the first university to matriculate for over five-ten years now, in all of Nigeria. The 2017/2018 CU matriculation was already done in October with 40% of total applicants admitted. Of which 90% of total applicants are usually first time jambites of about 15-17 years of age. Babcock, ABUAD and Landmark also did their matriculations in November 2017. That says something crucial about those four universities-they are not waiting for Public University "left overs" and their students were not interested in public universities to begin with.

However most other private universities don't get enough students and have to wait till next year when public universities would have bounced a lot of ppl who would then seek Private Unis. So the argument of Ppl going to private universities when they are not able to get into public ones is only relevant to private universities like Samuel adegboyega, lead city, kolaidaisi, Christopher uni, McPherson uni and lately Igbinedion. Private Universities like Covenant, AUN, Landmark, ABUAD, Baze, Babcock are known brands who get more than enough applications than they need.

Cc Chiefolododo
Baba don't deceive yourself, many students at private universities cannot score 200 in JAMB, this truth remains

52 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Desyner: 1:34pm On Dec 31, 2017
Booked . . .

2 Likes

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Nobody: 1:37pm On Dec 31, 2017
chiefolododo:
Baba don't deceive yourself, many students at private universities cannot score 200 in JAMB, this truth remains
Not true at all!
Covenant University Architecture Dept admitted about 12 students who had over 300 in jamb, the majority of applicants where between 250-300, Same for Mech, Comp Science, Accounting et al-I had a peek at the records when i went for my Sister's CUSAS( who by the way didn't get in with over 230 in Jamb and 32/60 in CUSAS for a social science course) simply because her WAEC wasn't released at the normal time. She's now in Landmark anyways.....

By the way some of the calibre of parents(some in convoys) I saw dropping their kids for CUSAS would get their wards into Unilag with 201 in Jamb. Is it the former VC of Unilag, DG of FRSC, Commissioner of Health of one state in SS or NUC former boss or Obasanjo's close Nephew that would find it hard to enroll their kids into public universities.

But well believe what you believe if it makes you happy cheesy

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Desyner: 1:38pm On Dec 31, 2017
chiefolododo:
What is the point if a jambite who couldn't score 200 goes to a private uni and graduates a better person mentally and morally compared to his peers who could score 200 and graduated from public uni ?

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Desyner: 1:46pm On Dec 31, 2017
Statsocial:

Not necessarily true at all!
Covenant University Architecture Dept admitted about 12 students who had over 300 in jamb. Same for Mech, Comp Science, Accounting et al-I had a peek at the records when i went for my Sister's CUSAS( who by the way didn't get in with 232 in Jamb and 32/60 in CUSAS for Inter Rel). But well if you are happy believing what you believe then it's OK.
Thank you.
We hear complain of people scoring lower but getting admission to public uni everyday and it isn't a big deal. It only becomes big deal when it happen in a private uni. It is nothing more than a Double standard borne out of insecurity.

7 Likes

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by chiefolododo(m): 1:47pm On Dec 31, 2017
Statsocial:

Not necessarily true at all!
Covenant University Architecture Dept admitted about 12 students who had over 300 in jamb. Same for Mech, Comp Science, Accounting et al-I had a peek at the records when i went for my Sister's CUSAS( who by the way didn't get in with 232 in Jamb and 32/60 in CUSAS for Inter Rel). But well if you are happy believing what you believe then it's OK.
you guys are stubborn, accept the truth

2 Likes

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by darkid1(m): 2:00pm On Dec 31, 2017
chiefolododo:

The year I got into covenant , in my department , the average jamb score was 250, and many that wanted architecture that year and didn't have up to 260 and 45/60 in post UTME had to find some other department or school... Thats why you read the interviews with our best graduating students, learning that they had 300 and above in Jamb.

Acceptance fee in CU is paid long before fedral or state schools even start post jamb exams , so its not like they come because they were denied admission somewhere else .

Just this year, a course-mate of mines' sibling was denied Archie and computer engineering , was told at the admission office that he needed minimum 280 in jamb to make his BRQ sufficient enough to study those programmes

I dont know why you guys get all bitter and boil with rage , jumping into conclusion on matters you have absolutely no idea about... But then again, it only shows the kind of education received . smiley

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Desyner: 2:07pm On Dec 31, 2017
Mirand606:
You are so on point about LAUTECH.
From robbery, prostitution, bribery, intimidation, rituals, radicalism to cheating. They have it all.
How can a system that forces majority of the students to sort/cheat/cram 'n vomit the higher percentage of an inferior course workload, compare to another one that enforces laws as insignificant as no-phone laws and class attendance?
It is obvious the public uni grads are suffering from stockholm syndrome where they get to love and defend their captors. What about mass (in)voluntary initiation into cult groups ?
We haven't talked about cohibating oh.
I pity people who think attacking private uni will do them good.
In Nigeria debates are most times a number game. The number may favour public uni but I can assure you the trend is fast changing.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by chiefolododo(m): 2:07pm On Dec 31, 2017
darkid1:

The year I got into covenant , in my department , the average jamb score was 250, and many that wanted architecture that year and didn't have up to 260 and 45/60 in post UTME had to find some other department or school... Thats why you read the interviews with our best graduating students, learning that they had 300 and above in Jamb.

Acceptance fee in CU is paid long before fedral or state schools even start post jamb exams , so its not like they come because they were denied admission somewhere else .

Just this year, a course-mate of mines' sibling was denied Archie and computer engineering , was told at the admission office that he needed minimum 280 in jamb to make his BRQ sufficient enough to study those programmes

I dont know why you guys get all bitter and boil with rage , jumping into conclusion on matters you have absolutely no idea about... But then again, it only shows the kind of education received . smiley
It is not right for me to exchange words with someone that attended a private university

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by davbravo(m): 2:08pm On Dec 31, 2017
Whether Private or Public, just pick anyone you want...No time for arguments

2 Likes

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Desyner: 2:08pm On Dec 31, 2017
chiefolododo:
you guys are stubborn, accept the truth
The truth is that in public unis are the perfect example of how not to run a uni system.

11 Likes

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Nobody: 2:11pm On Dec 31, 2017
Statsocial:

By the way some of the calibre of parents(some in convoys) I saw dropping their kids for CUSAS would get their wards into Unilag with 201 in Jamb. Is it the former VC of Unilag, DG of FRSC, Commissioner of Health of one state in SS or NUC former boss or Obasanjo's close Nephew that would find it hardto enroll into public universities.
Lol as in ehn. The President of Uganda's Son just graduated from AUN this year. The man left Makarere uni which is far better ranked than UI on Times Higher and took his Son to AUN. Lol which Public University can attract the son of a foreign president. I heard when Yayah Jammeh of Gambia took a tour of Covenant University the man quickly wrote a letter to Living Faith asking them to come and build in his country.

9 Likes

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by chiefolododo(m): 2:12pm On Dec 31, 2017
This topic will not make FP
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by darkid1(m): 2:15pm On Dec 31, 2017
Desyner:

What is the point if a jambite who couldn't score 200 goes to a private uni and graduates a better person mentally and morally compared to his peers who could score 200 and graduated from public uni ?
I dont know where you guys get this ideas from , please please and please , maybe its some private school, not mine like CU, you get 200 in jamb or less?

You people need a lot if reorientation especially when making hasty conclusions about matters you have NO idea about, just stay 'talks' like this garbage( no offence ) that you just spilled.

Firstly, many students from CU (for example , since thats the only example i can work with , and unlike some people like you, I stick to and talk about what I know about) attended the best and most expensive secondary schools in Nigeria. The likes of Loyola, Presco, Lumen christi, faith academy, Olasore , Jefta (some time , you google them) ... Hence, following the thread , their parents send them to CU, cause they want the best (which they eventually get.)

This mentality of jamb score thing should not follow you into new year o.

200 in jamb, such insult angry

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Desyner: 2:17pm On Dec 31, 2017
Mirand606:

Lol as in ehn. The President of Uganda's Son just graduated from AUN this year. The man left Makarere uni which is far better ranked than UI on Times Higher and took his Son to AUN. Lol which Public University can attract the son of a foreign president. I heard when Yayah Jammeh of Gambia took a tour of Covenant University the man quickly wrote a letter to Living Faith asking them to come and build in his country.
I am sure if the public unis in Nigeria are replicated in Uganda to help house criminals, the living standard and welfare will infringe on the constitutional rights of those criminals.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by darkid1(m): 2:17pm On Dec 31, 2017
chiefolododo:
It is not right for me to exchange words with someone that attended a private university

Sorry about the jab. Was just trying to drive my point in. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by DangotePikin: 2:18pm On Dec 31, 2017
chiefolododo:
Nonsense. Most students at private universities cannot pass JAMB
you are very wrong sir. Go and ask around from students in Covenant University. I scored 240 something when I entered school.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Desyner: 2:19pm On Dec 31, 2017
chiefolododo:
How can you survive a debate with a grad that's certified in character and learning?

9 Likes

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by chiefolododo(m): 2:21pm On Dec 31, 2017
Desyner:
How can you survive a debate with a grad that's certified in character and learning?
you are snubbed
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Desyner: 2:22pm On Dec 31, 2017
darkid1:
I dont know where you guys get this ideas from , please please and please , maybe its some private school, not mine like CU, you get 200 in jamb or less?

You people need a lot if reorientation especially when making hasty conclusions about matters you have NO idea about, just stay 'talks' like this garbage( no offence ) that you just spilled.

Firstly, many students from CU (for example , since thats the only example i can work with , and unlike some people like you, I stick to and talk about what I know about) attended the best and most expensive secondary schools in Nigeria, the likes of Loyola, Presco, Lumen christi, faith academy, Olasore , Jefta (some time , you google them) ... Hence, following the thread , their parents send them to CU, cause they want the best (which they eventually get.)

This mentality of jamb score thing should not follow you into new year o.

200 in jamb, such insult wink >wink
Stop ranting. Did you sort, cheat, cram while in your public school?
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by darkid1(m): 2:25pm On Dec 31, 2017
Desyner:
Stop ranting. Did you sort, cheat, cram while in your public school?
chairman, calm down and read my post naa...

I'm an undergraduate in CU (final year self)... Totally in support of private schools ... Though I have never attended a public school, so I cant say much on supporting the OP.

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Desyner: 2:36pm On Dec 31, 2017
darkid1:
chairman, calm down and read my post naa...

I'm an undergraduate in CU (final year self)... Totally in support of private schools ... Though I have never attended a public school, so I cant say much on supporting the OP.
Read my initial post you quote again.
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Nutase: 2:41pm On Dec 31, 2017
grin
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by hakeem4(m): 2:41pm On Dec 31, 2017
One of my friend was in final year for 2 years since 2015 in lautech due to their strike

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by darkid1(m): 3:35pm On Dec 31, 2017
Desyner:
Read my initial post you quote again.

"Did you sort, cheat, cram while in your public school?"

No, I have never even attended a public school.

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Nobody: 3:39pm On Dec 31, 2017
chiefolododo:
This topic will not make FP
Na threat! grin

Lalasticlala u don hear. Is it fair for them to attack us and when we respond they are praying that it doesn't make FP. Pls don't grant their prayer request o grin

5 Likes

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Nobody: 3:40pm On Dec 31, 2017
darkid1:

"Did you sort, cheat, cram while in your public school?"

No, I have never even attended a public school.
Lol Desyner is very much in support of private schools na grin
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by darkid1(m): 3:43pm On Dec 31, 2017
Mirand606:

Lol Desyner is very much in support of private schools na grin
I think its a breach in our communication... I noticed he does. smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Whatsapp Group For Jamb 2015/2016 and your university stats / Perewari Victor Pere Graduates With 1st Class From Lincoln University / Free NDDC Cinfores Past Questions And Answers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.