Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,373 members, 7,808,298 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:04 AM

Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! (3891 Views)

Ifa Worshippers Offer To Fight Boko Haram / Explosions Kill Worshippers In Borno Mosques / Angry Worshippers Attack Saraki, Emir, Ex-minister, Dignitaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by wales(m): 7:38am On Apr 07, 2010
Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka has demanded audience with the ailing President Umaru Yar’Adua as a worshipper of Orisa, following recent visits to the presidency by leaders from the nation’s two main religions - Islam and Christianity.

Orisa is a generic name for traditional Yoruba religion.

Mr. Soyinka made this demand yesterday at the Civic Centre, where he delivered a lecture titled ‘Leadership and Followership as shared responsibility’ at an event organised by the Nigerian Economic Summit Group (NESG).

Proper examination

Reacting to the reported visit of religious leaders to Mr. Yar’Adua over the weekend, Mr. Soyinka said “the clerics that have visited him have been very modest in their report. One said he couldn’t speak while another said he heard him grumble, but both agreed he could not use his hand. It is time a committee of Nigerian doctors actually see Yar’Adua and examine that his hand was truly raised and as well examine if the hand can be used properly.”

Mr. Soyinka said there should be no limit to the group of people allowed to see the ailing president.

“There is a kind of insolence going on around the precincts of Aso Rock and, as privileged groups are now allowed to see him, I am going to send an application as a follower of Orisa demanding that Sango worshippers also want to see him now,” he said.

He then alleged that the president is a victim of spousal abuse and referred to him as President “Yar I do or die”.

Leadership with a sign

In his lecture, Mr. Soyinka, defined the leadership in Nigeria in two ways: governmental leadership and civil leadership and he decried both level of leaderships in Nigeria, saying “government leadership in Nigeria is generally with a sigh.”

He also criticised the previously active civil society in the country. He said that, due to lack of leadership, “civil society became unbelievably comatose, and it took a lot too much of slapping just because each of them was looking for leadership.”

He therefore said Nigerians need to boost civil leadership so as to balance the zones of leadership; stating that “it is the civil leadership that has authority, what government leadership has is just power, and only the civil society can hold the government accountable. We need to make that power ludicrous.”

He commended renewed effort, as seen with the campaigns of the Save Nigeria Group (SNG) and Enough is Enough coalitions.

“The SNG is an ecumenical, non-partisan and very-very focused group, which is why I joined them,” he said. “This momentum must not be lost or else we return back to the treachery. People must develop the spirit of inconvenience and boycotting. NEPA would not have reached this deplorable state if the civil society was active. This kind of situation is intolerable. Nigerians are amazing people to have taken this much.”

He urged Nigerians to rally around the new movements, which seem to have found the required leadership. Using a Yoruba adage that says “debating if it is the man or woman that killed the snake is irrelevant, what wants matters is that the snake must be killed,” Mr. Soyinka said “that snake of corrupt or manipulative leadership must be killed.”

Iwu must go

The literary icon again reiterated his call for the removal of the chairperson of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Maurice Iwu, calling the INEC boss “a human obstacle to reforming the system.”

Then, reacting to a member of the audience who wondered about the point of voting if one knows that “in an election, my vote will not count”, Mr. Soyinka condemned the level of indolence of the Nigerian citizen, whom he described as “people always blaming the system.”

He called on Nigerians to come out of their shells and fight for the redemption of the country.

“Even when you know that your vote will not count, protecting that vote is part of the shared responsibility otherwise we get into the negative cycle where the other half makes sure you won’t have what you ever want,” he said. “If you rob me, I think it is my responsibility to go after you. It is a simple logical attitude.”

Sam Ohuabunwa, the NESG’s chairperson, affirmed that, with the small population of corrupt leaders, “the massive size of the civil society will swamp the government.”

He identified the problem of civil society as a lack of civil leadership. According to Mr. Ohabunwa, “the challenge today is that the civil society needs to improve their leadership because the more vibrant the civil society, the more accountable the governmental leadership.”

Link:

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5551095-146/soyinka_wants_orisa_worshippers_to_visit.csp

Re: Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by ichommy(m): 12:00pm On Apr 07, 2010
Hmm he must have a reason for that
Re: Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by agathamari(f): 12:15pm On Apr 07, 2010
how about someone with a camera!
Re: Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by fidel1033: 12:22pm On Apr 07, 2010
the solution of this man is simple, send him to Prophet TB JOSHUA
Re: Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by jaso1(m): 12:30pm On Apr 07, 2010
another deceit, afteral we just had series of pastors went there without any report at the expence of church member or tax payers money.
Re: Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by slap1(m): 1:02pm On Apr 07, 2010
Nairaland shud send a delegation headed by Joagbaje or Davidylan. Tomorrow, Cherubim and Seraphim, Okija shrine priest, Alaugbaga deity, Ogboni, Amok, O. O Obu, Kegites, , Black Bra, etc, will also send delegates. Then every family will send their first son or daughter, followed by the mad men, the deaf, dumb, blind, etc. NONSENSE! What is wrong in letting the people know the state of health of their leader!?
Re: Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by Nobody: 1:03pm On Apr 07, 2010
Wole Soyinka keeps hitting the nail on the head. . . I respect him for that!
Re: Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by otokx(m): 1:07pm On Apr 07, 2010
Wole Soyinka at his best as always.
Re: Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by Nobody: 1:16pm On Apr 07, 2010
am lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by seyenko(m): 1:20pm On Apr 07, 2010
Yeah! a delegate from Nairaland - i will nominate Seun and Kunle Oshob
Re: Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by Sunofgod(m): 1:55pm On Apr 07, 2010
'Okija Shrine Priest's' also want to be left alone with Yar'Adua for 5 minutes - grin
Re: Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by MsTom(f): 2:14pm On Apr 07, 2010
jassie:

Wole Soyinka keeps hitting the nail on the head. . . I respect him for that!

true dat!. Enough of these "religio-political" games. People have little or no faith in politics, now they want to extend that to religion. Rubbish!
Re: Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by carlinks: 2:39pm On Apr 07, 2010
some peeps are missing the point, he is mocking those clerics that have gone to him and have nothing to report to the masses, since imam and pastor have visited him without anything to report,let orisa worshipers visit him and we might hear something from them, i love Wole Soyinka
Re: Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by palace1(m): 2:53pm On Apr 07, 2010
let jost be praying for him sad sad
Re: Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by olayinkaj2(m): 2:56pm On Apr 07, 2010
I like this man, he will always say the truth. He is very right, lets send sango, oya, obatala, yemoja, oshun toun worshippers to visit him.
Re: Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by Nigerd(m): 3:07pm On Apr 07, 2010
the reasons for his call is the religiouneering of visit to yaradua
Re: Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by Nneomaj(f): 3:22pm On Apr 07, 2010
Father Lord,let this Nigerian drama end soon. Forgive our past leaders,heal our land and give us a better Nigeria. Lets keep praying 4 our country. So many Nigerians have dissappointed us, God's intervention is what we need.
Re: Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by Nigerd(m): 3:55pm On Apr 07, 2010
Nneomaj:

Father Lord,let this Nigerian drama end soon. Forgive our past leaders,heal our land and give us a better Nigeria. Lets keep praying 4 our country. So many Nigerians have dissappointed us, God's intervention is what we need.

AMEN oooooo
Re: Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by Edemah1(m): 4:03pm On Apr 07, 2010
imagine!!!!! Orisa worshipers? mtschwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww For what now? that guy just likes to be heard!
Re: Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by alldone(m): 4:07pm On Apr 07, 2010
it is important that we know whether is alive or not. the only way to do this is for the FEC to pass section144 then he wont have option than to come out or be ask to vacate Aso villa.
Re: Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by idifu(m): 4:28pm On Apr 07, 2010
av neva liked dat man Oyedepo
Re: Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by nagoma(m): 4:58pm On Apr 07, 2010
I know taht Soyinka can tell stories (in english) . What else is he good at? Please educate us ,
Re: Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by Greycells(m): 5:11pm On Apr 07, 2010
@Nagoma
At least, Mr. Soyinka is not good at extorting people in the name of the Lord like some Bishops dt used poor peep's sweat to build varsities they can't afford, private jets, mansions etc shocked shocked tongue
Re: Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by Redman44(m): 5:53pm On Apr 07, 2010
I'm always impressed with Uncle Wole Soyinka's aproach to national issues smiley smiley If Christian and Islamic leaders were allowed to see the ailing president, Traditional worshippers or priests should also be allowed to visit Aso Rock and see things for themselves. I'm still surprised that in a country like Nigeria which has many Newspapers, Magazines and Television Channels, we've still not been able to see a picture of Yar'Adua since he came back from Saudi Arabia. This kind of thing will not happen in America or Europe. Anyway, it is clear that Yar'Adua is in a pretty bad shape. He should be taken back to Katsina State where he will live the rest of his days out. I feel for him and his family but Nigeria's destiny must not be altered because of the sickness of a man. The Country needs to move on. Cheers.

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by EzeUche(m): 7:12pm On Apr 07, 2010
Does he actually think a Fulani Muslims would want this to happen? They are probably thinking that having a Christian is bad enough but now Orisha Worshipers? Chai!

There will be riots in the streets.
Re: Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by 18platoon(m): 7:56pm On Apr 07, 2010
@ezeuche, your godfather EUGINE TERREBLANCHE has been consumed by the hate he've been preaching, so i urge you to continue with your hate songs, one day go be one.
Re: Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by babaogun(m): 8:14pm On Apr 07, 2010
Most important though is that if Nigeria is a Secular society, then it is a very sensible request.
Re: Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by hilli666(m): 9:10pm On Apr 07, 2010
The people of Nigeria demand audience with the ailing president, as well as proof of life or existence. It is not a privilege but a constitutional responsibility to answer that demand. He was the president of Nigeria and not just the "clergy men and imams" So why is it that he feels it necessary to meet with so called false spiritual leaders but not as much as a video of him apologizing or explaining for his extended leave of absence to Saudi Arabia. This is deception of the highest order and Turais in a co conspirator, if not part of the master minds. Treason and treachery! Ohh the humiliation they bring to our country, imagine how the rest of the world is viewing us. Burn down Aso rock, and all the criminals in it! We need to start from scratch, with a new constitution that works for us Nigerians, and not a post colonial Xeroxed copy of the American constitution. They all must go! Goodluck included, what do you think he is innocent? Let’s hope Ribadu bring up the charges against first lady for the untold millions she embezzled. We need true change, and not a semblance of it. The question is what price are we willing to pay for it? Money can buy many things, but freedom is paid for in only one tender, Blood!
Re: Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by eros(m): 11:07pm On Apr 07, 2010
HAHAHA. . . . . grin grin grin grin. . . VERY FUNNY. The Prof. has a good sense of humor. Since the Pastors and Imams cannot tell us the true situation of our dear Presido, i guess the Orisa worshipers should be able to. . . . grin grin grin grin
Re: Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by lareine(f): 2:44am On Apr 08, 2010
light and darkness don't agree. This is why you don't like him. Get born again!
Re: Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by EzeUche(m): 3:28am On Apr 08, 2010
18 platoon:

@ezeuche, your godfather EUGINE TERREBLANCHE has been consumed by the hate he've been preaching, so i urge you to continue with your hate songs, one day go be one.

Do not compare me to a Boer Pig. I am glad you know what is happening outside of Nigeria though.
Re: Soyinka Wants Orisa Worshippers To Visit Yar’adua ! by zaragoza(m): 6:27am On Apr 08, 2010
That man Soyinka likes talking from the 4 compass points of his mouth! If he was privileged to visit Yar'dua in aso rock, would he come out and start telling us exactly what he saw? Wld he come and tell us that Yar'dua has gone insane or that he does not recognise people anymore? You know talk is absolutely free, its always easy to critcise other people, but when he or she is in the hot seat, no be person go tell am to thread with caution! Diplomacy is and shld be applied everywhere, even in the church, so i wldnt outrightly blame the imams or the pastors. FINITO!!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Mindset Of Average Tribalist On Nairaland. / 25 Biggest And Most Embarrassing Mistakes Ever Made / Hausa And Yoruba War: Why Are Nairaland Yoruba E-warriors Cold?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.