Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,510 members, 7,808,865 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:16 PM

Variants Of Oyinbo In Eastern Yorubaland - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Variants Of Oyinbo In Eastern Yorubaland (978 Views)

Oyinbo Man Speaks Hausa Fluently (video/pictures) / Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland / Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Variants Of Oyinbo In Eastern Yorubaland by Probz(m): 4:06pm On Jan 02, 2018
Olu37
9jakool
macof

As the title says, innit. What variants of oyinbo are used throughout Yorubaland (especially the eastern side)?
Re: Variants Of Oyinbo In Eastern Yorubaland by scholes0(m): 4:12pm On Jan 02, 2018
Enefu cheesy
Re: Variants Of Oyinbo In Eastern Yorubaland by 9jakool: 4:41pm On Jan 02, 2018
There is no variant. The use of oyin + bo usage is the same in all part of Yoruba that I'm aware of. His there any particular reason why you are asking?

1 Like

Re: Variants Of Oyinbo In Eastern Yorubaland by Probz(m): 4:52pm On Jan 02, 2018
9jakool:
There is no variant. The use of oyin + bo usage is the same in all part of Yoruba that I'm aware of. His there any particular reason why you are asking?

Do I need a particular reason to ask questions about general Naijalingo?
Re: Variants Of Oyinbo In Eastern Yorubaland by macof(m): 9:35pm On Jan 02, 2018
Probz:
Olu37
9jakool
macof

As the title says, innit. What variants of oyinbo are used throughout Yorubaland (especially the eastern side)?

I have only known "Oyinbo"... I don't pay too much attention to note if it's sometimes pronounced without the "n" and I've not met anyone who knows otherwise.
It is generally thought that "Oyin" in the word means honey hence 'Oyinbo' - bleached by honey

Another thought if we consider how other ethnic groups pronounce it - "oyibo" ..."oyi" could mean 'wind' in eastern Yoruba dialects, which happens to mean 'cold' in igbo language

Whatever the case the etymology best fits Yoruba

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Variants Of Oyinbo In Eastern Yorubaland by Olu317(m): 6:41am On Jan 03, 2018
There is no other as it seems in Eastern Yoruba. Oyinbo or Oyibo means the same with other Yoruba regions. The only thing I find is the silence in the “n" sound that a lot of Yoruba skip unintentionally when using the descriptive skin form/ identity of the white man.

1 Like

Re: Variants Of Oyinbo In Eastern Yorubaland by absoluteSuccess: 10:24am On Jan 03, 2018
The Yoruba with dealings with the europeans before the turn of the last century says "ebo" or "eebo" meaning "the peeled" but indirectly from yevo.

The Ogu called the europeans, "yevo" meaning "different feature".

The Yoruba borrowed or conforms yevo to oyinbo from ogu, who told the earliest europeans about Yoruba (oyo).

Another example of words being made to conform to Yoruba intonation is "petesi" from "upstairs".

The ogu ultimately conform this to petrezin, the true Yoruba for a storey building is ile alaja, or 'aja' not petesi.

To the ancient Yoruba, a white man is orfun. Lafun is lafun because its richly white.

Elubo is elubo because its the finest particle that drops when yam tuber is beaten.

There is a reason for every Yoruba word.

Happy new year.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Brazil Adopts Yoruba As An Official Foreign Language / How The bight Of Benin Was Named After The Benin Empire / Top 10 Worst Countries For Women In The World 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.