Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,356 members, 7,800,715 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:30 AM

Mix Tape And Album-what Is The Difference? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Mix Tape And Album-what Is The Difference? (3300 Views)

****The Game Drops Another Mix Tape. Free Download (Purp & Patron)***** / Artist's Pictures And Album Covers / Dj Jimmy Jatt Mix Tape:tha Definition. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mix Tape And Album-what Is The Difference? by Ericomoto(m): 4:53pm On Apr 07, 2010
I hear artistes nowadays especially Hiphop acts saying they released Mix tapes and not albums. Some mixtapes contain up to 16 to 20 tracks.

1. What is the difference between a mix tape and songs to be released as albums?
2. Are mix tape songs not tight enough to be released as songs in an album?
3. Are mix tapes songs free while albums are to be sold?
4. Some will eventually release an album and refer to have selected some songs from their mixtape. why?

Could someone please enlighten me on the difference between a MIX TAPE songs and ALBUM songs.
Re: Mix Tape And Album-what Is The Difference? by ElRazur: 5:53pm On Apr 07, 2010
The original idea of mixtape is to bring about awareness and show people what can be done. However, it is now used for various purpose like generating fan base, hype, etc.

A mix tape will usually have all sort of production styles on them and the works are sometimes not structured - this do not mean the song are not fit for an album cut. It is like a less restrictive environment and the artist can get plenty of approach and direction in. A good example here will be Jada kiss Mix tape I got from late last year or so.

Mixtapes can be bought or sold. I have a few The Game mix tape that I paid for, however it appear over here people are used to the concept of "Free internet" i.e use the internet to get anything free.  It won't do you any good to sell mix tape if you are not know, also it won't do you any good for someone one like Jay Z or Nas to do a whole free mix tape - There are two sides to the argument here though.

Some songs on a mixtape make it into the album cut due to respond from the consumer. In some of The Game mixtape I have, he had lines from the mix tapes that he used in some of his recent album and I think this tapes dates back to before he was known commercially.

Overall, see a mix tape as a "Trailer to a album" i.e a taste of what to come.

I hope that answers your questions.  I am sure if I missed anything, people will chip in and explain further.
Re: Mix Tape And Album-what Is The Difference? by ElRazur: 5:58pm On Apr 07, 2010
Also the sale of a mixtape is not counted as part of an album by record labels I think - though they may own the rights to the artist in some cases - so it may mean more money for the artist coming to him directly without anyone taking a cut. smiley
Re: Mix Tape And Album-what Is The Difference? by AkinW: 7:31pm On Apr 07, 2010
I think its just mis education, mix tape originated in the States when demo where being recorded on tapes, the language caught on an is now being used by artists, to create hype.

In the real market, there is no such thing as a mixtape, you either have an album, demo or a promo.

Akin
wetin-dey.com
Re: Mix Tape And Album-what Is The Difference? by Ericomoto(m): 8:09am On Apr 09, 2010
Thanks ElRazur and AkinW, I am more educated and informed now. Nuff respect
Re: Mix Tape And Album-what Is The Difference? by Mobinga: 6:15pm On Apr 09, 2010
Your welcome.
THREAD LOCKED. angry

(1) (Reply)

Watch And Download Fine Fine Love Video By J Martins / Download Tutorial Video: Super Easy First Guitar Lesson (learning The D Chord) / DOWNLOAD MP3: Big Sean – Body Language Ft. Jhené Aiko & Ty Dolla $ign [video]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.