Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,994 members, 7,799,419 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:48 PM

Driving Tips For Drivers On How To Drive During Harmattan Season - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Driving Tips For Drivers On How To Drive During Harmattan Season (6531 Views)

9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season / 10 Essential Driving Tips For Pregnant Women / Lagos Ranked 3rd Worst City In The World For Drivers By Forbes (see List) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Driving Tips For Drivers On How To Drive During Harmattan Season by SexyBabe001: 4:23am On Jan 04, 2018
The season of harmattan is here, as exciting and as chilling it may be for some people, it's one of the most dangerous seasons for any drivers as when it's not properly handled, it can cause some accidents due to almost zero visibility on the road. In some areas of Nigeria this can cause dense fog and make visibility near zero, so how do we drive safely in this type of condition. Listed below are a few tips to tackle this challenge:

1.) Allow More Distance Between Vehicles

Increase your count distance by 5 seconds instead of the normal 2 seconds behind another car. Never rush or speed to get out of the fog.

2.) Drive slow and cautiously

Due to poor visibility, the safest speed is moderate. This will give you time to brake effectively if suddenly there’s need for it.

3.) Use caution at all times
The moisture in the air may continuously collect on the windshield, making it more difficult to see. Adjust the defroster and windshield wiper speed as necessary.

4.) Use fog lights or driving lights (if equipped)

Many cars have fog or driving lights that were installed at the factory. These lights are usually mounted low, in or below the front bumper. They are aimed toward the ground out in front of the car as far as possible. Fog lights mainly differ from driving lights in the way they project the light. Fog lights often have clear or yellow lenses; while driving lights usually have clear lenses. The beam of light created by fog lights is usually wide and flat pattern; flat to stay close the road surface and minimize reflection back by fog – and wide to better illuminate the sides of the roadway (guard rails, curbs, lines painted on the roadway, etc.).

5.) Use your low beams

The visibility in front of you will sharply decrease in a fog, so use the car’s low beam lights (if the car does not have fog lights or driving lights). Heavy fog conditions prohibit use of high beam headlights. The light from high beam headlights will be reflected back by thick fog. As fog thins, high beams can become more effective. Check periodically to see if the fog has thinned enough to make use of high beams.

6.) Don’t Drift

There’s a natural tendency to wander into the middle of the road when visibility gets bad. Be sure to keep yourself in your lane.

7.) Pull over to the side of the road if you have no visibility

If it gets too difficult or thick, pull over and wait. Turning on your hazard lights alerts other drivers of where you are.

8.) Use the right edge of the road as a guide

This can help you avoid running into oncoming traffic or being blinded by oncoming headlights.

9.) Ask for help
Don’t be afraid to ask your passengers to help keep an eye out for oncoming cars and obstacles on the road.

Source:
http://www.autoreportng.com/2018/01/driving-tips-for-drivers-on-how-to.html

Lalasticlala
Seun
Marpol
Mynd44

2 Likes

Re: Driving Tips For Drivers On How To Drive During Harmattan Season by SexyBabe001: 4:25am On Jan 04, 2018
Do you have more tips? Kindly add yours
Re: Driving Tips For Drivers On How To Drive During Harmattan Season by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:31am On Jan 04, 2018
Re: Driving Tips For Drivers On How To Drive During Harmattan Season by Nobody: 7:09pm On Jan 04, 2018
Nice write up..

But unfortunately... Here in Nigeria, everything is currently hard, that even harmattan sef has refused to blow. grin grin grin

Maybe APC Bullyharri will soon blame the past administration or Niger Delta for the harmattan that has cease too.

9 Likes

Re: Driving Tips For Drivers On How To Drive During Harmattan Season by Nobody: 7:10am On Jan 05, 2018
Take Agbara or Action Bitters...

Smoke cigarettes...
Re: Driving Tips For Drivers On How To Drive During Harmattan Season by Mosb(m): 7:11am On Jan 05, 2018
Re: Driving Tips For Drivers On How To Drive During Harmattan Season by cooldipo1(m): 7:12am On Jan 05, 2018
Appreciated! These are rules that are applicable all season long!
Re: Driving Tips For Drivers On How To Drive During Harmattan Season by Nobody: 7:13am On Jan 05, 2018
I thought harmattan has boycotted Nigeria...used to be my favorite season.

1 Like

Re: Driving Tips For Drivers On How To Drive During Harmattan Season by Meajor(m): 7:15am On Jan 05, 2018
Since the beginning of fuel scarcity, I never comot with car again, at time I even de ask myself if I fit drive again...... Abeg who get power to fast forward year.... Take us to 2019.. I mean nam...
Buhari matter don tire me like, Nairaland and pre-wedding pics.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Driving Tips For Drivers On How To Drive During Harmattan Season by 2shure: 7:16am On Jan 05, 2018
my comprrssor remains cold
my gas tank is extra full
drl light
keep mr extra cool
Re: Driving Tips For Drivers On How To Drive During Harmattan Season by Nobody: 7:17am On Jan 05, 2018
okay. smiley
Re: Driving Tips For Drivers On How To Drive During Harmattan Season by mayormick(m): 7:26am On Jan 05, 2018
Nice, may God continue to protect us either as a driver or pedestrian.
Re: Driving Tips For Drivers On How To Drive During Harmattan Season by Nobody: 7:27am On Jan 05, 2018
grin y do NL bloggers use female monikers to post. When we know they are male lol
Re: Driving Tips For Drivers On How To Drive During Harmattan Season by Ojuororun(m): 7:46am On Jan 05, 2018
no idear...... since i dnt hav a car
Re: Driving Tips For Drivers On How To Drive During Harmattan Season by Swiftlee(m): 8:22am On Jan 05, 2018
10. When using the right edge of the road, make sure you reduce your speed especially at night invade of a packed vehicle beside the road. Sometimes there might be loose road gravel that can cause you to also loose control at the edges for bad roads. In all, don't over speed
Re: Driving Tips For Drivers On How To Drive During Harmattan Season by Beesluv: 10:01am On Jan 05, 2018
Good

(1) (Reply)

Why Does A Car Overheat? / Offline Uber, Taxify And Oga Taxi In Lagos, Ogun And Ibadan / Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.