Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,769 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:37 PM

Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) (36531 Views)

An All-Female Pilot Crew Crashed The U.S Navy Spy Plane In The Sea (Photos) / Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria / Airport Workers Push Passenger Plane In Nigeria (Video, Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) by Groovenaija360(m): 4:50am On Jan 04, 2018
A Kenyan couple living in the US is in shock following the death of their 18-year-old son who fell asleep on a plane and never woke up.

Griffin Gutwa, a student at the University of San Diego, California, where he was studying to be a doctor, was on his way home for Christmas.

The former Burnsville High School student, the oldest of four children, was the first to attend college since the family moved to the US in 2004.

According to US press reports, Mr Gutwa called his family on the morning of December 22 just before boarding a Delta Airlines flight from San Diego to Minneapolis.

"He had just finished his exams," said his father, Gideon Gutwa. "He was excited to come home."
About an hour into the flight, Griffin asked for warm water. He later leaned his head against the window and fell asleep, according to other passengers.

The passenger next to him became concerned when his breathing changed, and called for a flight attendant. The attendant checked on him, realised something was wrong and asked for a medical professional to help. 

Gutwa was not breathing and the pilot began looking for a place to make an emergency landing. The nearest airport was in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

But paramedics at the airport were unable to revive Gutwa, according to Sioux Falls Police Department. The father was told CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) was performed on his son for 45 minutes but he did not wake up.

Journey Continues..

Gutwa's body was left in Sioux Falls and the plane continued with the journey. At about 6pm, his father was called by Minneapolis St Paul International Airport to pick up his son.

He was told the plane had been delayed for two hours. The delay didn't bother the senior Gutwa. It just gave him more time to run back to Burnsville to pick up the rest of the family.

When the father returned, he had not even gotten out of his car when airport security approached. He thought he had parked improperly. They later asked if he was Griffin's father. This, he said, confused him.

"How come they know my son?" he said.

The officers directed him and the family to an office where they told him Griffin was dead.

"I thought I was dreaming. I could not believe it," Gideon said. "He was very healthy. He had just been here for thanksgiving. We were expecting him to arrive safely."

Described as a responsible, outgoing and helpful teenager, Griffin planned to use his medical degree to help the less fortunate. He always talked of returning to Kenya to start non-profit organisations to help alleviate poverty.

The cause of death is still under investigation by the Sioux Falls medical examiner.

>>> https://groovenaija360.com.ng/kenyan-student-dies-on-a-plane-in-us-while-sleeping/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) by jamexborn(m): 5:00am On Jan 04, 2018
Rip

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) by brandon180(m): 5:23am On Jan 04, 2018
thats a strange way to die..i suspect them..."village people"

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) by Nobody: 5:23am On Jan 04, 2018
When your time is up......

Its up.

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) by marshalldgreat(m): 5:33am On Jan 04, 2018
Sleep well bro

1 Like

Re: Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) by Bede2u(m): 5:58am On Jan 04, 2018
Damn....the way death comes...truly like a thief...an apparently healthy 18 yr old is dead.... an old, sickly Shehu Shagari is still alive cry

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) by 9japrof(m): 6:11am On Jan 04, 2018
The death is strange but he could have died under normal circumstances probably a heart failure.

We are so wired in this country to believe that every death or misfortune is caused by village people, grin na so I go one burial and the children and grand children of the deceased were making noise and threatening up and down that they would get to the root cause of who killed their great grand mother. When I asked how old she was, they said 99, I was like what the fork? grin would she live forever grin

65 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) by urvillagepeoplee(m): 6:13am On Jan 04, 2018
brandon180:
iffa sand u ehn.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) by Diso60090(m): 6:23am On Jan 04, 2018
Sweet dreams a least better than car accident
Re: Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) by Diso60090(m): 6:25am On Jan 04, 2018
9japrof:
The death is strange but he could have died under normal circumstances probably a heart failure.

We are so wired in this country to believe that every death or misfortune is caused by village people, grin na so I go one burial and the children and grand children of the deceased were making noise and threatening up and down that they would get to the root cause of who killed their great grand mother. When I asked how old she was, they said 99, I was like what the fork? grin would she live forever grin

Gone too soon

2 Likes

Re: Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) by SolexxBarry(m): 7:06am On Jan 04, 2018
RIP bro, witchcraft can locate you anywhere even in an aircraft ��
Re: Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) by jericco1(m): 7:56am On Jan 04, 2018
RIP. reminds me of 911
Re: Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) by koolgee(m): 8:03am On Jan 04, 2018
Rest in Peace
Re: Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) by Nonnyflex(m): 8:03am On Jan 04, 2018
Buhari why.... But on a more serious note this village people matter pass me oo
Re: Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 8:03am On Jan 04, 2018
RIP... But that pic na the said 18 year old?

Hmmmmm

But here I look just like a fowl angry

I can see lala viewing angry

3 Likes

Re: Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) by KingLennon(m): 8:04am On Jan 04, 2018
RIP young man. Death is a call everyone must answer to in due course. But i hate to see niggaz die prematurely...
Re: Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) by emeijeh(m): 8:04am On Jan 04, 2018
Diso60090:
Sweet dreams a least better than car accident

6 Likes

Re: Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) by Seun4FastLoans(f): 8:05am On Jan 04, 2018
Such a sad one. Rip
Re: Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) by Akinz0126(m): 8:06am On Jan 04, 2018
SolexxBarry:
RIP bro, witchcraft can locate you anywhere even in an aircraft ��

which Is faster (a) Aircraft (b)Witchcraft?
Re: Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) by yomalex(m): 8:06am On Jan 04, 2018
Re: Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) by ufuosman(m): 8:06am On Jan 04, 2018
RIP
Re: Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) by Nobody: 8:10am On Jan 04, 2018
cry
Re: Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) by Drizzyd: 8:11am On Jan 04, 2018
marshalldgreat:
Sleep well bro

Re: Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) by LastSurvivor11: 8:11am On Jan 04, 2018
When ur village people have sworn never to see you in America

1 Like

Re: Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) by Nathdoug(m): 8:12am On Jan 04, 2018
One minute silence for the young boy...RIP DEAR
Re: Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) by hezy4real01(m): 8:12am On Jan 04, 2018
RIP
Re: Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) by Notmyproblem: 8:13am On Jan 04, 2018
I am not a medical professional but with that guy's (if he is not even bigger now) he ran the risk of heart failure. Maybe he has an undiagnosed problem.

May his soul find rest.

3 Likes

Re: Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) by symbianDON(m): 8:15am On Jan 04, 2018
brandon180:
village people don use GPS locate the guy inside plane! aah Kenyan winch bad o
Re: Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) by vicola0281: 8:15am On Jan 04, 2018
RIP
Re: Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) by Olawalesadiq(m): 8:16am On Jan 04, 2018
RIP.. but the guy no look like 18 years what i see is 27 years old man..
Re: Kenyan Student Dies On A Plane In US While Sleeping (Photos) by charlsecy(m): 8:17am On Jan 04, 2018
Groovenaija360:
A Kenyan couple living in the US is in shock following the death of their 18-year-old son who fell asleep on a plane and never woke up.
Could it be deep vein thrombosis (DVT)?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Air Peace Takes Delivery Of Fifth Brand New Embraer 195-E2 Aircraft (Photos) / Nigerian's Trip Around The USA Part 2 ( Holy Land Experience, Disneyworld) / What Am I To Do, My Only Brother Is In A Chinese Prison

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.