Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,904 members, 7,802,931 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:57 AM

Delayed Payment Of Gratuity: What Does The Law Say? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Delayed Payment Of Gratuity: What Does The Law Say? (11407 Views)

January Salaries Of Federal Civil Servants To Be ‘delayed Beyond Normal’ – Memo / FG Begins Payment Of N30,000 To N-power Beneficiaries Today, Says Minister / Fidelity Bank Workers Protest Over Non Payment Of Salaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Delayed Payment Of Gratuity: What Does The Law Say? by lonelydora: 7:41am On Jan 08, 2018
arherfish:
Get a lawyer involved to get to know why your employer are delaying your entitlement and you can also get PENCOM involved. I wish u the best.

Someone advised that i should also contact EFCC. That it is a financial crime. How true is this?
Re: Delayed Payment Of Gratuity: What Does The Law Say? by autonomous22: 7:53am On Jan 08, 2018
Just 4months? Rivers state government is bin owning gratuity for close to 3years now... Wickedness
Re: Delayed Payment Of Gratuity: What Does The Law Say? by arherfish(m): 8:11am On Jan 08, 2018
lonelydora:

Someone advised that i should also contact EFCC. That it is a financial crime. How true is this?
That won't help and been the fact that you might probably be out of job for sometimes now, you don't need those expenses.

1 Like

Re: Delayed Payment Of Gratuity: What Does The Law Say? by lonelydora: 8:15am On Jan 08, 2018
arherfish:

That won't help and been the fact that you might probably be out of job for sometimes now, you don't need those expenses.

Singing Money no bi problem. grin. I need whatever that can help. I'm ready for the expenses as long as my legal team will claim damages
Re: Delayed Payment Of Gratuity: What Does The Law Say? by chccho(m): 9:46am On Jan 08, 2018
This is as simple as ABC.

Get a sound/competent lawyer
Write them officially through your lawyer and wait for a response from them.
If they dont respond proceed with legal action by suing them to industrial court.

I have this same case in NIC as i type.

1 Like

Re: Delayed Payment Of Gratuity: What Does The Law Say? by jobbers: 10:37am On Jan 08, 2018
in a lawless country
Re: Delayed Payment Of Gratuity: What Does The Law Say? by Sandycee: 1:45pm On Jan 08, 2018
Failed government. My mum retired from civil service since 2013 and till now she hasn't received her gratuity
Re: Delayed Payment Of Gratuity: What Does The Law Say? by lonelydora: 7:56am On Jan 09, 2018
chccho:
This is as simple as ABC.

Get a sound/competent lawyer
Write them officially through your lawyer and wait for a response from them.
If they dont respond proceed with legal action by suing them to industrial court.

I have this same case in NIC as i type.

This is the easiest way, but i think it will delay my getting the payoff and i have a deadline for paying ny tuition fees abroad.

If it is winning the case with damages claimed, I am 100% sure i will win.I have 6 sound family lawyers already willing to take up the case. I'm trying to settle amicably so that i get the cash quickly and pay ny tuition.
Re: Delayed Payment Of Gratuity: What Does The Law Say? by chccho(m): 8:31am On Jan 09, 2018
lonelydora:

This is the easiest way, but i think it will delay my getting the payoff and i have a deadline for paying ny tuition fees abroad.

If it is winning the case with damages claimed, I am 100% sure i will win.I have 6 sound family lawyers already willing to take up the case. I'm trying to settle amicably so that i get the cash quickly and pay ny tuition.

Your deadline to pay tuition fee and settlement from your former employer might not work out as u plan.
These settlement issues take longer than one thinks especially when the employer isnt cooperating. As per winning your case thats quite easy as long as u have enough evidence to prove to the court,but most times the court doesnt pay damages if u cannot validly substantiate the damage cost u are suing for. You have to be able to prove to the court with enough evidence y XYZ damages should be awarded to u.

The only issue here is that court cases in this country takes years (at least 2years) before reaching conclusion which could even be reappealed.

Goodluck

1 Like

Re: Delayed Payment Of Gratuity: What Does The Law Say? by lonelydora: 8:46am On Jan 09, 2018
chccho:

Your deadline to pay tuition fee and settlement from your former employer might not work out as u plan.
These settlement issues take longer than one thinks especially when the employer isnt cooperating. As per winning your case thats quite easy as long as u have enough evidence to prove to the court,but most times the court doesnt pay damages if u cannot validly substantiate the damage cost u are suing for. You have to be able to prove to the court with enough evidence y XYZ damages should be awarded to u.

The only issue here is that court cases in this country takes years (at least 2years) before reaching conclusion which could even be reappealed.

Goodluck

This is where I'm having an issue. But the lawyers assured that they can claim damages because i will lose my admission and forfeit the part i made already.
Re: Delayed Payment Of Gratuity: What Does The Law Say? by chccho(m): 9:09am On Jan 09, 2018
lonelydora:

This is where I'm having an issue. But the lawyers assured that they can claim damages because i will lose my admission and forfeit the part i made already.
U should be ready for the bolded if u proceed to court. As per claiming damages of course your lawyers will tell they can claim damages but it is left to the discretion if the court to grant damages based on the evidence of damages u can place before the court. So what evidence of damage do u have ?

1 Like

Re: Delayed Payment Of Gratuity: What Does The Law Say? by engrobidigbo: 9:42am On Jan 11, 2018
lonelydora:
My former company (names withheld for now) has refused to pay my gratuity close to 4 months now. I voluntarily resigned and wasn't sacked or my appointment terminated.

Yes! I am entitled to payoff according to the company's policy of working for more than 5 years. The HR manager mailed me last year on the amount i should be expecting but didn't state when, even though he orally said i should be able to get it within 1 month of my exit. I have contacted the CEO, HRM and the Finance department through calls, sms, and mails, (because i urgently need the money for my tuition fees abroad) but they have all gone unanswered.

The company did not also remit my deducted pensions to my PFA for more than 2 years, which i told them too.

I am writing this now to seek a public opinion first, before doing a rejoinder in my next post with full details of company names and names of people involved with evidences of mails/sms and their correspondence.

Please lawyers and Labour Leaders in the house, what does the law say about delayed payment of Gratuity?

What steps should i take? I need help.

not remitting your deducted pensions to PFA is a crime punishable by jail sentence. My brother, NL is the wrong place to go now, get yourself a lawyer and sue their ass.

1 Like

Re: Delayed Payment Of Gratuity: What Does The Law Say? by lonelydora: 10:26am On Jan 11, 2018
engrobidigbo:

not remitting your deducted pensions to PFA is a crime punishable by jail sentence. My brother, NL is the wrong place to go now, get yourself a lawyer and sue their ass.

I'm on it. Trying to settle it amicably. I gave them deadline shaa.
Re: Delayed Payment Of Gratuity: What Does The Law Say? by Goddys(m): 11:20am On Jan 14, 2018
lonelydora:

If you are a lawyer you are on your way to hitting big money when i do a rejoinder by 15th of this month, if they still do not pay me. I am setting up my legal team for now. I have 6 sound lawyers already. Wanna join them? PM pls.
Others have been advising you go the way of litigation. My dear, it is not the best way putting into consideration other factors you mentioned here.

There are professional arbitrators who can handle this case by sitting in a round-table with the lawyer of the company and arbitration panel and reaching a consensus which will be registered in the Court as an "award" IF there is an arbitration clause in the contract of employment.

However, if there is no such clause, I would advise you make a complaint to the appropriate authority established for that purpose as listed by someone in the first page.

Litigation should be a last resort if you understand the rigmarole that plays out in our court these days

Wisdom and Intelligence are two different things. Can a struggling natural person fight a well-to-do artificial person and not bleed?

2 Likes

Re: Delayed Payment Of Gratuity: What Does The Law Say? by lonelydora: 11:31am On Jan 14, 2018
Goddys:
Others have been advising you go the way of litigation. My dear, it is not the best way putting into consideration other factors you mentioned here.

There are professional arbitrators who can handle this case by sitting in a round-table with the lawyer of the company and arbitration panel and reaching a consensus which will be registered in the Court as an "award".

Wisdom and Intelligence are two different things. Can a struggling natural person fight a well-to-do artificial person and not bleed?

Thanks. How do i go about it then? It may take time, i might bleed, but at the end i must surely win. Gonna drag their name dirty on social media platforms. I have some stuffs/ documents aganist them tho. I am fully ready for them.

You know the good thing? I'm not gonna spend much. My uncle is a SAN who advises properly.

1 Like

Re: Delayed Payment Of Gratuity: What Does The Law Say? by Zykore(f): 8:46am On Nov 02, 2019
Just wondering how it all went down. Were you successful in your quest?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? / Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian / Radio Kwara Staff Shut Down Station

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.