Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,210 members, 7,807,719 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:00 PM

How To Build A House In Nigeria - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How To Build A House In Nigeria (21688 Views)

After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? / Petrol Kept In A House Burns In Oworonshoki, Lagos (Photos) / Where Should A Man Build A House First: Village Or Township? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Build A House In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:42am On Jan 05, 2018
Housing is classified as one of the necessity of human want from time immoral. It was in the form of shelter. Owning a house is the hope and desire of all citizen of Nigeria. However, the average Nigeria citizen has found it a hard target to achieve and the need to get affordable one is very important too.
Understanding the basic steps in building a house will aid your knowledge more and always make come out with better result. It does not matter whether it is your first or second house.
Here are the steps of building a house,

1. Purchase a Land
The first step is getting a land you are going to build your house on. Make sure you consider the location and surroundings you want to build your house in, the type of soil your house will stand on, the price of the land. Make sure you get all documents leading to proof of ownership of the land. I will advice you get one plot of land(18mx36m i.e 60ft x120ft) however you can settle for half plot if your budget does not meet that of a full plot. Once this is done you are set for the next step.
If after the land purchase you don't have enough money to erect your structure, try as much as possible to fence it so that there won't be TRESPASS TO LAND.

2.Get A Building Design from An Architect (Not a draftsman)
Once the purchase of the land has been settled and all the necessary documentation done, next is to get the service of an architect to draw the Plan of the house you plan to build.
After your taste and the requested facilities and rooms you wish your house to contain has been discussed ,your architect gets the plan designed to fit and meet with the building standards of the authorities in line with the location of the plot. There are regulations regarding what can be built, where and how, the architect is the best person to help you through this process. Before a standard house is erected, involving an Architect will be a very good thing to do.

3. Make a Bill of Quantities (BOQ)
Once the architect is done with the drawings as required before he presents it for building plan approval or after he must have done so, you will need the services of a quantity surveyor to come up with the Bill of Quantities (BOQ).
It is the determination of what building a house will cost you. Ordinarily, it is a very good thing to have this and you will be required to even produce it for verification if you are seeking financing in funding the construction of your house.
One reason this is carried out, is to avoid losing business in case the client gets discouraged on knowing the near actual cost and concludes that he has no means of raising such a sum and as such backs out. Either procrastination sets in or there is a total cancellation of the project.

4. Getting A Builder/Contractor
Once the idea is conceived by the architect, the BOQ has been drafted and a plan is approved by the local authorities, the services of a Builder or Contractor can be procured. A Builder is someone who ensure that what you have on your plan is what is constructed on ground at not more than the estimated cost except where there are reasons. A Contractor is simply a business person who supplies the machines, labour and material for construction. Again here, as the owner you may choose to supply the material by yourself or you may leave it entirely to the contractor. The Contractor may or may not have an engineering background but will have someone with engineering background if he has no engineering background though most Contractors double up as Engineers.

5. The Actual Building Construction
In Nigeria, there are two very common approaches to building a house in Nigeria.
They are ;
a. Do-it -yourself (DIY) method and
b. Design-and-Build Method.
--In the Do-it-yourself (DIY) method, the client (owner) has all the money in place, buys a house plan from an architect or draws one up by themselves, purchases all the materials and takes up the service of a Contractor to provide labour - bricklayers, plumbers, laborers, electricians etc- such that it is the Contractors role to direct the construction activity to completion.
--In the Design-and-Build method, the home owner approaches a Developer/Construction Company like us. The Developer or Company has a team in place that will consist of professionals- contractors, sub-contractors, architects and quantity surveyors-each with defined roles.

While there's no right or wrong method to use when building your own house in Nigeria, both of these approaches have their own advantages and disadvantages.

source : www.homeownerssecrets..com

cc: lawyer , Seun , lalasticala

27 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How To Build A House In Nigeria by MrImole: 7:03am On Jan 15, 2018
First to comment ní àárò kùtùkùtù òrísà!

Na my week be dis, abi na this week Omósaléwá go free...

This shouts for celebration!

2 Likes

Re: How To Build A House In Nigeria by BruncleZuma: 7:04am On Jan 15, 2018
grin grin grin grin
Re: How To Build A House In Nigeria by thesicilian: 7:05am On Jan 15, 2018
Okay, thanks. Waiting for the prequel: Where to get money to build a house in Nigeria.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Build A House In Nigeria by Buffalo2(m): 7:05am On Jan 15, 2018
MrImole:
Laaro kutu
O lagbara gaan ni grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Build A House In Nigeria by Helpfromabove1(m): 7:06am On Jan 15, 2018
I am learning

1 Like

Re: How To Build A House In Nigeria by wehdone(m): 7:07am On Jan 15, 2018
Put sand, add cement... pour stone, pour water... mix them.
put the mixture, put block on top...

oya cut me 10 naira own tongue
Re: How To Build A House In Nigeria by adetes: 7:08am On Jan 15, 2018
Well write up but hardly get land of 60 by 120

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How To Build A House In Nigeria by teckmore(m): 7:09am On Jan 15, 2018
Diy
Re: How To Build A House In Nigeria by jashar(f): 7:09am On Jan 15, 2018
Make I learn. My time has come to have my own properties.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Build A House In Nigeria by MrHighSea: 7:14am On Jan 15, 2018
In Nigeria?
Arch n Engr go dy dia, the okada man wey carry the man go buy land go just build the house finish come do internal decor.

In "shitholes", due process is a mirage.

1 Like

Re: How To Build A House In Nigeria by dust144(m): 7:16am On Jan 15, 2018
Nice one
Re: How To Build A House In Nigeria by valentineuwakwe(m): 7:18am On Jan 15, 2018
good point you just outline here, infact the most important lies in the fencing of the land...I did just dat when I bot my land far back in 2004 and WHEN I started building in 2013 it was so easy..no one molest or encroach into my land despite other building have been erected in the area....it's good to follow due diligence in everything we do....today this is my house here in portharcourt...sitting on a one plot of land....
heavens be praised!

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Build A House In Nigeria by konfused: 7:19am On Jan 15, 2018
Every man should endeavour to get a house .....it is a MUST

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Build A House In Nigeria by highchief1: 7:22am On Jan 15, 2018
valentineuwakwe:
good point you just outline here, infact the most important lies in the fencing of the land...I did just dat when I bot my land far back in 2004 and WHEN I started building in 2013 it was so easy..no one molest or encroach into my land despite other building have been erected in the area....it's good to follow due diligence in everything we do....today this is my house here in portharcourt...sitting on a one plot of land....
heavens be praised!
if I post d pic of my house u will go back to work and start looking for money to build a house what u posted is not it

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Build A House In Nigeria by Richkid97(m): 7:27am On Jan 15, 2018
I must build house for me and my mom this year

#2018 please be nice

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Build A House In Nigeria by OnowuOra(m): 7:30am On Jan 15, 2018
Ok
Re: How To Build A House In Nigeria by emmaokw(m): 7:35am On Jan 15, 2018
Like seriously I don't know the purpose of land surveying and its not list here. please enlighten a brother. thank you
Re: How To Build A House In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:36am On Jan 15, 2018
highchief1:
if I post d pic of my house u will go back to work and start looking for money to build a house what u posted is not it
I wanted to ignore this, but I can't.

Who cares about what your house looks like? Dude uploaded a photo of his living room and you're degrading what He has spent money to achieve? Because You have a house that looks better than his, He should kill himself? Go and sleep in your mansion abeg. Not everyone is in a competition in this life.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Build A House In Nigeria by Bollinger(m): 7:39am On Jan 15, 2018
highchief1:

Which kain bad belle be dis na? I am aghast as to why people like you dwell on this planet and breathe the same oxygen i breathe.

2 Likes

Re: How To Build A House In Nigeria by overhypedsteve(m): 7:45am On Jan 15, 2018
I look forward to the year when a Nigerian engineer will be able to at a stand analyse how much it will cost to build a house without the necessary additions

When you are busy, occupied at work or busy reading for your final exams, stay calm we will handle your undergraduate research project, your Msc project, your PGD project and your PhD thesis. We will work with you through to the end to ensure that you end up with a
Plagiarism free, customs written and standard research project paper. This is what we do at https://RunMyResearch.com visit us there or call
+2348100661236
To place a direct order for a research visit
https://runmyresearch.com/hire-a-researcher/
Re: How To Build A House In Nigeria by santopelele(m): 7:46am On Jan 15, 2018
NICE POST, BUT TO ADD TO YOUR POST, A GOOD ARCHITECT CAN DRAW, SURVEY AND ALSO CONSTRUCT YOUR BUILDINGS FOR U
Re: How To Build A House In Nigeria by money121(m): 7:46am On Jan 15, 2018
Material: *Aluminum (0.55mm thick)*

Client: Nairalander

Style: *Longspan (Mentral)*

Color: Biegi

Site Location: Iju Atan Ogun State

*Roof:* 340.3m @ N1750/mtr = *N595,525*

*Cladding*62.53m @ 1750mtr = *#109,428*

*Flat Sheet:* 54m @ N1750/mtr = *N94,500*

*Accessories:* = *N35,000*

*Bending fees* = *N8,000*

*Workmanship* =70,000

*Transportation* =18,000

*Total* = *N930,*453

Call/WhatsApp 08085310359 For Your Next Roofing Project

Re: How To Build A House In Nigeria by money121(m): 7:46am On Jan 15, 2018
Quotation for Shingles Design( Brown with brown patches)

Client: Nairalander

Site Location: Jericho Idin Ishin Area in Ibadan Oyo State

Roofing 510sqm*2,900=1,479,000

ridges caps 100m*1400=140,000
valley gutter 26m*1400=36,400
Bash board 14m*1400=19,600
Nails 6pkt(30kg)*7000=42,000
Sealant 5sets *4,000=20,000
Installation 510sqm*200=102,000
Transportation =40,000

Grand Total=#1,879,000

Call/WhatsApp 08085310359 For Your Next Roofing Project

Re: How To Build A House In Nigeria by Follygunners: 7:47am On Jan 15, 2018
Where's dem 'Mufutau55', 'Syper880et al...? Abeg, let's hear you guys' expert opinions.. wink

1 Like

Re: How To Build A House In Nigeria by money121(m): 7:51am On Jan 15, 2018
Aluminium roofing and Stone coated in Stocks...
Call/WhatsApp 08085310359 to place your Orders!!

Read Some of Our Review below

Re: How To Build A House In Nigeria by highchief1: 7:53am On Jan 15, 2018
Bollinger:

Which kain bad belle be dis na? I am aghast as to why people like you dwell on this planet and breathe the same oxygen i breathe.
lol bros na joke o I never baf small pikin dey mound block?
Re: How To Build A House In Nigeria by highchief1: 7:54am On Jan 15, 2018
Victoriousvic:

I wanted to ignore this, but I can't.

Who cares about what your house looks like? Dude uploaded a photo of his living room and you're degrading what He has spent money to achieve? Because You have a house that looks better than his, He should kill himself? Go and sleep in your mansion abeg. Not everyone is in a competition in this life.
calm down bros I never build morning sir
Re: How To Build A House In Nigeria by Victor1313(m): 7:59am On Jan 15, 2018
me right now
Re: How To Build A House In Nigeria by Doerstech(m): 8:04am On Jan 15, 2018
Ops Well-done

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Real Estate Topic Library (Must Read Before You Buy Any Land Or Property) / TOP QUALITY LongSpan, Metcoppo, Step-tiles ALUMINIUM ROOFING SHEETS? Check These / Construction Of Twin 3 Bedroom Duplex In Owerri, Imo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.