Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,495 members, 7,808,832 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:38 PM

South Africa Might Be Fallen Apart. - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / South Africa Might Be Fallen Apart. (2017 Views)

The Fallen Angel Sculpture {PICS} / South Africa Remembers A Fallen Hero, Steven Bantu Biko : ***BLACK POWER!*** / New Prophet - Takes Mohummad Apart - Tears Down Koran, Hadis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Africa Might Be Fallen Apart. by Ikomi(m): 10:40am On Apr 09, 2010
I knew Jacob Zuma could not hold that nation together. How can a man with numerous wifes and over 30 children make policies that he wants a whole nation to adhere to, when he himself shows no sign of strong character.

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjDVnqEpHkY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385[/flash]

JOHANNESBURG - A white politician stormed out of a live TV debate about race relations and a black leader of the ruling African National Congress threw racial epithets at a journalist he kicked out of a news conference.

The events are just part of the fallout in South Africa after the slaying of a notorious white supremacist. Eugene Terreblanche, leader of the once-feared AWB paramilitary group, was bludgeoned to death on his farm April 3. The acrimonious aftermath reveals strained race relations 16 years after apartheid collapsed and Nelson Mandela became president, urging all races to come together.

"I am not finished with you," AWB Secretary General Andre Visagie shouted as he stormed off the local TV talk show Wednesday night, pointing a finger at a black female analyst. Video of the blowup, which erupted after the analyst continually interrupted Visagie and made hand gestures in front of his face, was posted on YouTube and quickly got hundreds of hits.

At least four musical remixes went onto the Internet, including one by a popular South African rapper.

Singing about beating up whites
On Thursday there was more acrimony.

Julius Malema, leader of the ANC Youth League, held a news conference in which he sang about beating up white farmers, defying a new directive from his own party to stop singing racially polarizing songs. Some whites have blamed Terreblanche's murder on a song Malema had previously belted out, urging that white farmers be shot.

Malema and Visagie perhaps represent two extremes in this country, where blacks for decades were brutalized and belittled by a racist white minority government. But the aftermath of the Terreblanche killing, which was allegedly motivated by a wage dispute, shows that rage and wounds remain raw among many. Some residents of a black township near Terreblanche's farm even hailed Terreblanche's alleged killers as heroes.

Terreblanche's extremist Afrikaner Weerstandsbeweging movement, better known as the AWB, wanted to create all-white republic within South Africa.

"It does really highlight the fact that race relations in our country are an unresolved issue," said Chris Maroleng, the journalist who was host of Wednesday night's TV show. "Eugene Terreblanche's death has opened up a lot of unhealed wounds and unresolved issues in terms of race."

Maroleng, however, stressed that most South Africans of all races are keen to get along and work together to rebuild the divided nation of nearly 50 million people.

Interruptions
Visagie had become angry when analyst Lebohang Pheko kept interrupting him, asking "Is it still you versus us?" and whether he cared about starving South African children or abused farm laborers. Visagie tore the microphone from his jacket and threw it. Maroleng came between him and Pheko and warned: "Touch me on my studio and you will be in trouble."

Some who saw the episode sympathized with Pheko. Tshepo Dithipe, a 22-year-old law student, said, "I was actually scared for the woman." Others thought she provoked Visagie.

"She was not asking questions to find out more," said Innocentai Mdluli, a 22-year-old anthropology student. "She wanted this man to look raw and barbaric."

The blowup at Malema's press conference happened as the ANC youth leader was speaking about his recent trip to neighboring Zimbabwe. He said Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai's party, which is in an acrimonious unity government with hardline President Robert Mugabe, will not find "friendship" with the ANC in South Africa.

"They can insult us here from air-conditioned offices in Sandton. We are unshaken," he said, referring to the wealthy suburb of Johannesburg.

BBC television journalist Jonah Fisher said Malema himself lives in Sandton. Malema's eyes got big and he blew up.

"Don't come here with that white tendency , undermining blacks!" Malema shouted. He insulted Fisher's manhood, called for security officers to throw the reporter out and said: "Go out, bastard! You bloody agent."

Black elite has become rich
Malema has found an ear among poor black South Africans disenchanted that their right to vote has not been matched by access to decent housing, jobs, good education and health care. South Africa is the richest country in Africa, yet the ANC has been unable to translate that into better lives for the people.

Only a small black elite has become enormously rich since apartheid ended. Studies show the majority of blacks are worse off financially than they were under the white government.

"Race still matters very much in South Africa , particularly the coincidence between race and inequality, race and poverty and race and unemployment, with the black youth experiencing all those disproportionately," said Justin Sylvester, a researcher at the Institute for Democracy in South Africa.
Re: South Africa Might Be Fallen Apart. by RSA(m): 3:29pm On Apr 09, 2010
While you Ikomi think the country is falling apart the economy continue to grow,power station that will help fuelling economy is underconstraction.Black people are graduating from South African univesities which are some of the top in the world at a very fast pace.Infrustructure is well mentained and more developments are taking place.Zuma as a President so far is doing well,we live in a country where people fire a President.

The is more to South Africa than what you guys read in the papers,It is unfortunate that as black people we never support each other,with us is about who is better and that is the weapon our 'enemies' uses againts us.

Most African states could learn a lot from us,about how we do things.Youth leaders in Nigeria must run to Malema and ask him for guidance,Yes the guy is not educated but I like his courage,he come from a village and was raised by his grandmother,never finish his matric,and at 27 when he say something the 'most educated' listen,BBC,CNN and other journalist who are trying to build careers listen,I think he is a genius.
And as for Zuma what more can you say about the man,he showed that he is your typical Zulu man and it means anyone in South Africa can lead the country,it's called democracy.I don't think anyone in South Africa feels that they are living under dictatorship.

So my dear friend I am sorry to disapoint you by saying South Africa is definetely not falling apart,maybe you should look closer to find the right answer.
Re: South Africa Might Be Fallen Apart. by morpheus24: 3:52pm On Apr 09, 2010
RSA:

While you Ikomi think the country is falling apart the economy continue to grow,power station that will help fuelling economy is underconstraction.Black people are graduating from South African univesities which are some of the top in the world at a very fast pace.Infrustructure is well mentained and more developments are taking place.Zuma as a President so far is doing well,we live in a country where people fire a President.

The is more to South Africa than what you guys read in the papers,It is unfortunate that as black people we never support each other,with us is about who is better and that is the weapon our 'enemies' uses againts us.

Most African states could learn a lot from us,about how we do things.Youth leaders in Nigeria must run to Malema and ask him for guidance,Yes the guy is not educated but I like his courage,he come from a village and was raised by his grandmother,never finish his matric,and at 27 when he say something the 'most educated' listen,BBC,CNN and other journalist who are trying to build careers listen,I think he is a genius.
And as for Zuma what more can you say about the man,he showed that he is your typical Zulu man and it means anyone in South Africa can lead the country,it's called democracy.I don't think anyone in South Africa feels that they are living under dictatorship.

So my dear friend I am sorry to disapoint you by saying South Africa is definetely not falling apart,maybe you should look closer to find the right answer.

Ha ha ha!  Genius.

My dear friend he is ENTERTAINER of the year. Can you tell me what the ANC youth charter is?

Why is it geared only towards black youth. Where are the other chapters to represent all groups in SA

Other than promises! promises! promises, A few trips here and there, What solid projects are malema working on to uplift the youth of the country?

What is he doing to diminish the improveshied lives of the constituents who's support he is requiring?

Can you stare us to sources where we can understudy what this man has actually accomplished as a president and  is actually doing other than making imflammatory speeches to steer up emotional responses by poor uneducated people who are ready to do anthing in the attempt to change their lives.

Please educate us AFRICANS on Julius Malema apart from this website which doesn't say much about anything.

http://www.ancyl.org.za/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48
Re: South Africa Might Be Fallen Apart. by Ikomi(m): 5:03pm On Apr 09, 2010
RSA:

Let me clarify some major facts for you, I have nothing to gain, if South Africa falls apart. The recent racial tension in South Africa under Zuma and Malema is worrying. We had relative calm under Mandela and Mbheki.

I for one had never liked Zuma, the polygamist, he might be good enough for you as a role model, who would teach his subject to marry many wives, and have children like rug rats. For me its nothing but a man that lacks strong character.

I should also have to inform you that I do not have to live in every major city in the world to have a view of what is happening there, I would always rely on the media which includes TV, and newspapers. That is why I posted my source both in picture and writing.

Finally I need to tell you that I find your views distubing, if you could call a man that inflames racial tension, genius. We could then say Mandela was a fool for trying to quell racial tensions.
Re: South Africa Might Be Fallen Apart. by Beaf: 5:33pm On Apr 09, 2010
morpheus24:

Ha ha ha! Genius.

My dear friend he is ENTERTAINER of the year. Can you tell me what the ANC youth charter is?

Why is it geared only towards black youth. Where are the other chapters to represent all groups in SA

Other than promises! promises! promises, A few trips here and there, What solid projects are malema working on to uplift the youth of the country?

What is he doing to diminish the improveshied lives of the constituents who's support he is requiring?

Can you stare us to sources where we can understudy what this man has actually accomplished as a president and is actually doing other than making imflammatory speeches to steer up emotional responses by poor uneducated people who are ready to do anthing in the attempt to change their lives.

Please educate us AFRICANS on Julius Malema apart from this website which doesn't say much about anything.

http://www.ancyl.org.za/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48

My unreserved apologies about the other thread.

I think the problem is much deeper than Malema or Zuma, the greater issue is one of impunity by supremacist Whites, who perceive themselves as untouchable because of the weak handed treatment given to those guilty of apartheid crimes. That weakness on the part of the SA govt has made it seem that Blacks are too scared to handle injustice firmly and judiciously. Malema is the attack point of the racists because he is seen as the weak link in their onslaught against the ANC machine. I am not saying it is correct, but the songs Malema sings, pretty much everyone else sings (even kids).

As mentioned above, societal inequalities were handled with kid gloves, in an almost idealistic way after South Africa's independence. There was a truth commission that simply berated murderers; while no firm plans went the equitable redistribution of wealth and skills, very little punishment for the unbelievably evil crimes of apartheid were meted out. As far as race relations are concerned, the SA govt looks very weak.
South Africa has the very same stresses on land ownership that exist in Zimbabwe, yet there are only token gestures at land redistribution. Surely, the South African govt is rich and skilled enough to put firm, long term plans in place toward equitable land ownership over a sensible period; but nothing concrete has been done.
With all of the above, it is no surprise that there are White groups sprouting here and there that think they are untouchable. In present day South Africa, there are Whites only towns and enclaves or in the case of AWB, a separatist, Whites only town.
There are all sorts of gruesome racial crimes that are treated with kid gloves even in the present day, for example, Scott-Crossley who fed his lions with a Black man was acquitted at some point; another claimed to have mistaken his worker for a baboon and shot him, he was sentenced to life on 5 counts of murder, then had the charges changed from murder to culpable homicide and the sentence reduced to 20 years.
Several White farmers pay their workers below the minimum wage and treat them like slaves. Terre'Blanche was killed for not paying a monthly wage of 300 rand, but the average minimum wage in SA must be in the range of 1700 rand (not too sure of my figures, but not far off target).

There is a lot of impunity and the resulting bottled rage. We see that rage erupt explosively out of the townships every now and again because their cry for justice and equity has gone unheeded. Terre'Blanche was a victim of such anger.
The racial tensions in South Africa can be cured only if the govt bares its fangs and deals harshly with racial crimes, injustice, and wealth and land redistribution. As time goes by, punishments can be lessened, but right now SA needs a sledge hammer to instil discipline. That sledge hammer will crash heavily on White separatist enclaves and only then on "kill the boer" songs that are a mere reaction.
Re: South Africa Might Be Fallen Apart. by Ikomi(m): 7:25pm On Apr 09, 2010
Beaf:

I think the problem is much deeper than Malema or Zuma, the greater issue is one of impunity by supremacist Whites, who perceive themselves as untouchable because of the weak handed treatment given to those guilty of apartheid crimes. That weakness on the part of the SA govt has made it seem that Blacks are too scared to handle injustice firmly and judiciously. Malema is the attack point of the racists because he is seen as the weak link in their onslaught against the ANC machine. I am not saying it is correct, but the songs Malema sings, pretty much everyone else sings (even kids).

I think you are getting the whole issue wrong, a boy could sing kill the boer on the street, a boy could sing kill all blacks on the street, but when a highly placed member of the society sing an inflammatory song as kill the boer, then it is a different ball game altogether.

Secondly you can go on and on and recount all the atrocities that white settlers committed but it still does not alleviate the pain of the black South African. If a commission is launched today to try all the whites that committed these crimes against humanity (because if we keep saying black South Africans it seems like it was commit ed against just some group of people in a particular area) it does not put food on the table of any South African.

Beaf:

There is a lot of impunity and the resulting bottled rage. We see that rage erupt explosively out of the townships every now and again because their cry for justice and equity has gone unheeded.

Your statement above is very correct, but this bottled rage has not come out of failure of the Government to redistribute land this rage has come out of the fact that there has been no concrete step to alleviate the poverty of an average black South African.

Ask yourself some major questions, has the Government moved towards creating an adequate welfare state whereby all South Africans has a share in every produce in South Africa.

Have they ensued that every Black South African child must have at least basic education and health care.

These are issues to be addressed, the men that killed Terrablanch did not kill him because they wanted his land they killed him over wage dispute. A hungry man is an angry man. They must have felt well cheated with not enough fund to charge Terrablanch to court after considering how much they would have to cough out again to hire a lawyer, so they decided to take the law into there hands, not forgetting that there youth leader has once sang "kill the boer" into their ears.

I don't think proper justice system or land redistribution is the problem, I believe the ANC govt. have failed in its mandate to provide adequately for black South Africans, in a manner that would ensure wealth redistribution without resulting to violence.

In my opinion have not only failed but woefully by having a man whose character is not just questionable but very low as their leader. A man that has 3 wives and many concubines, with over 34 children. Someone tells me its the Zulu culture, then I wonder why cultures evolve, and that of the Zulu must stay the same. They could as well go call on Shaka to come rule them again in this day and age.
Re: South Africa Might Be Fallen Apart. by morpheus24: 7:35pm On Apr 09, 2010
Beaf:

On the above point I will clarify my view. The AWB are reminants of the distant past wanna be Trek-BOER(farmer) republics who hated the British and wished to isolate themselves from the then govt and even the Afirkanner nationalist party in 1948. They are no different from white country azz rednecks in the US who chose to live in obscurity in the rural areas away from urban/modern life and its government post civil rights and integration.

They feel that by doing so, they are preserving some sort of sense of identity and culture passed on by their European descendants. Like many fringe groups they seem to believe the changing world is a threat to their existence and once any set of people merge their survical instincts with their learned supreme moral value i.e Race purity and race superiority. The combination is disastrous to the human psyche and extremely hard to decipher.

Zuma i.e his advisers understand this history and are aware of the event about to take place shortly which will show case SA to the world. Therefore they cannot afford to politiciz this issue. The farmers/AWB on the other hand see this as an opportunity to get some air time and legitimize their grievancies to the international media, hopefully score some points. Malema is a target for this propaganda push and he is only too silly to realize this. The saffers lik RSA praise him as a strong person because he demonstrates defiance in the face of White propaganda. Nonetheless , we live in a world controlled by the media, primarily the Western media who are able to distort realities and channel this throughout the globe. If Malema falls on their left side he will be made a scapegoat and will only damage the Youth movement wing of th ANC and paint them as savage blood thirsty revengeful blacks who want to take revenge. They did it to Mugabe.

Beaf:

As mentioned above, societal inequalities were handled with kid gloves, in an almost idealistic way after South Africa's independence. There was a truth commission that simply berated murderers; while no firm plans went the equitable redistribution of wealth and skills, very little punishment for the unbelievably evil crimes of apartheid were meted out. As far as race relations are concerned, the SA govt looks very weak.
South Africa has the very same stresses on land ownership that exist in Zimbabwe, yet there are only token gestures at land redistribution. Surely, the South African govt is rich and skilled enough to put firm, long term plans in place toward equitable land ownership over a sensible period; but nothing concrete has been done.

The truth and recon commission was idealistic at best and a model of what Mandela hoped SA's would strive to emulate. As far as how far it went in truly healing the wounds of Apatheid. I cannot tell because I was not an eye witness. What I will say is that the ideal is much supported by me as Mandela stayed true to his values even after power changed hands. That is pure integrity and not revenge or hatred. A very unique human trait most of us rarely exhibit or possess for that matter.

The goverment did hear many land reform grievances during the Mbeki and Mandela years by many groups in SA including Griquas(colored khoi-people), Twshana, Basters, Zulus and so on however the fundamental miscalculation was in the management and full resource potential of these properties that were given back to the owners. No programmes to train these new owners or even plans to create any mutual deals to benefit both the whites and the new owners. Zimbabwe is a case study of what happens when you take a miltant approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuGHKBJV3uA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFWBGoWlHuA&feature=channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMB-8cGPT24&feature=channel

Beaf:

Terre'Blanche was killed for not paying a monthly wage of 300 rand, but the average minimum wage in SA must be in the range of 1700 rand (not too sure of my figures, but not far off target).

There is a lot of impunity and the resulting bottled rage. We see that rage erupt explosively out of the townships every now and again because their cry for justice and equity has gone unheeded. Terre'Blanche was a victim of such anger.
The racial tensions in South Africa can be cured only if the govt bares its fangs and deals harshly with racial crimes, injustice, and wealth and land redistribution. As time goes by, punishments can be lessened, but right now SA needs a sledge hammer to instil discipline. That sledge hammer will crash heavily on White separatist enclaves and only then on "kill the boer" songs that are a mere reaction.

I agree with the above highlighted however I believe the racial justice cases should go both ways, the wealth and land reforms with an innovative sense of the times by mutual aggreements with farmers in which a compromise is set if not set up adjudications to resolve issues. Watch the above youtube attachments when you have time.There are many more.

(1) (Reply)

Ex British Soldier Becomes First Transgender Muslim / What It's Like To Be A Navy SEAL Sniper / Least Visited Countries In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.