Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,877 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:00 AM

Oprah Winfrey Becomes First Black Woman To Win Golden Globe Lifetime Achievement - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Oprah Winfrey Becomes First Black Woman To Win Golden Globe Lifetime Achievement (729 Views)

Kxng.olu: Oprah Winfrey Replaces The Phone Of A Nigerian Boy With An iPhone 11 / Oprah Winfrey Finally Addresses Her Mother's Death / "Why I Never Wanted Children" - Oprah Winfrey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oprah Winfrey Becomes First Black Woman To Win Golden Globe Lifetime Achievement by Temtee11223344: 11:24am On Jan 08, 2018
For many, the highlight of this year's Golden Globe awards was the speech Oprah Winfrey gave as she accepted the Cecil B DeMille lifetime achievement award.

As the first black woman to receive the prize, she spoke passionately and eloquently about many of the subjects and issues that have been raised since the Hollywood sexual harassment scandal erupted a few months ago.

Here's her speech in full.

"In 1964, I was a little girl sitting on the linoleum floor of my mother's house in Milwaukee, watching Anne Bancroft present the Oscar for best actor at the 36th Academy Awards. She opened the envelope and said five words that literally made history: 'The winner is Sidney Poitier.'

"Up to the stage came the most elegant man I had ever seen. I remember his tie was white, and of course his skin was black, and I'd never seen a black man being celebrated like that. I tried many, many times to explain what a moment like that means to a little girl, a kid watching from the cheap seats as my mom came through the door bone-tired from cleaning other people's houses.

"But all I can do is quote and say that the explanation in Sidney's performance in Lilies of the Field: 'Amen, amen. Amen, amen.'

"In 1982, Sidney received the Cecil B DeMille award right here at the Golden Globes and it is not lost on me that at this moment, there are some little girls watching as I become the first black woman to be given this same award.

Read More Below

http://www.nigeriannewsweb.com/oprah-winfrey-wins-golden-globe-lifetime-achievement-award/

Re: Oprah Winfrey Becomes First Black Woman To Win Golden Globe Lifetime Achievement by dukie25: 11:35am On Jan 08, 2018
She deserves it.
Re: Oprah Winfrey Becomes First Black Woman To Win Golden Globe Lifetime Achievement by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 10:15pm On Jan 08, 2018
I watched the speech she gave and the way the women all wore black in solidarity and after what Harvey weinstein did and also the #me too movement.The golden globes was epic and her speech was just perfect from her talk on racial equality to gender equality.She nailed it that's why we love oprah,even hearing of 2020 rumours.

1 Like

Re: Oprah Winfrey Becomes First Black Woman To Win Golden Globe Lifetime Achievement by Hotshawarma(m): 11:31pm On Jan 08, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
I watched the speech she gave and the way the women all wore black in solidarity and after what Harvey weinstein did and also the #me too movement.The golden globes was epic and her speech was just perfect from her talk on racial equality to gender equality.She nailed it that's why we love oprah,even hearing of 2020 rumours.
oshe radio without battery,i trust you....
Re: Oprah Winfrey Becomes First Black Woman To Win Golden Globe Lifetime Achievement by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 11:35pm On Jan 08, 2018
Hotshawarma:
oshe radio without battery,i trust you....
She is one of the people I admire just like Malala yousafzai and Christiane Amanpour of CNN these people are like mentors to me.
Re: Oprah Winfrey Becomes First Black Woman To Win Golden Globe Lifetime Achievement by Hotshawarma(m): 11:39pm On Jan 08, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
She is one of the people I admire just like Malala yousafzai and Christiane Amanpour of CNN these people are like mentors to me.
What about iya shuku shaka??
Re: Oprah Winfrey Becomes First Black Woman To Win Golden Globe Lifetime Achievement by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 11:43pm On Jan 08, 2018
Hotshawarma:
What about iya shuku shaka??
Who is that?

(1) (Reply)

M.I Abaga Shuts Down Hiphop Session Soundcity MVP Awards 2018 (video) / All Dick Bleep Able - Bobrisky Says / Mcgalaxy Reminds Actress Fapson Of How She Publicly Called Him A Liar (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.