Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,498 members, 7,781,502 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:42 PM

Vengeance - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Vengeance (410 Views)

LOST IN UNIPORT (a Story Of Vengeance, Crime And Betrayal) ft chimexplosive / The Last Wolf Series - Broken Vengeance / Secret Of The Creed(story About Adventure,betrayal And Vengeance) By Zhuxu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vengeance by Peaceyyy: 1:37pm On Jan 10, 2018
Re: Vengeance by Peaceyyy: 3:34pm On Jan 10, 2018
"No!! it cannot happen, Ike cannot be buried like that" This was Uncle Chika talking.Papa has just died last night from a strange illness which started six months ago.
It all started on Saturday morning when Papa was to go to the farm, he noticed a swelling on his left foot, but he managed to massage it untill it was better. Papa managed to go to his farm the next week Saturday. Two weeks later, the swelling came back this time in full force and much worse than before. Papa went to all the masseurs in the village but to no avail they couldn't take care of it. Everyone became sacred especially Mama, Papa was taken to all the native doctors in the village they administered some potion to him but after some time they asked us to take him away. The last native doctor we went to insisted that it was the handiwork of a witch in the village, because she was jealous of us that Papa bought a new bicycle recently before the illness. We were asked to bring so many items like 50 tubers of yams,8 white fowls, Alligator pepper, kolanuts and many things too numerous to mention mama had to end up selling the bicycle just to raise money. After the sacrifice was made, after some few months Papa died.
Uncle chika and many of Papa's relatives gathered at the Family's Obi immediately the news reached their ears. Uncle Tochukwu was suggesting that Papa should not be given a bifitting burial since he was a young man and he died from a strange illness. Uncle chika didn't like the idea he insisted that Papa should be given a bifitting burial since he was their brother and also their Elder brother. Papa, had only two brothers which was Uncle chika and uncle Tochukwu; Papa had six sisters but they have been given out already in marriage.
Mama was in her room crying unable to be consoled. This was almost past noon and my siblings, Nmachi and Somto has not yet eaten breakfast because everywhere was disorderly, Nmachi then three years old just cried for hunger and asked after Papa, which just made me cry the more. I missed Papa so much, and his images flashed in my head, Papa was a huge man who had an intimidating physique, i missed our night talks, I missed his long loud lauhter, I missed seeing the love and sorrow in his eyes whenever we his children are hurt, Papa nickednamed me Eze because I was so intelligent and I looked like his father, and he said I behaved like and Adult inspite of my age. There are many more things about Papa I am going to miss. What can I say?? Time will tell that.

I went to the kitchen, warm the leftover food for my siblings. I refused to eat because I lost my appetite due to Papa's death. I peeped inside the Obi, I discovered that my uncles left already. Papa burial has been discussed its going to be on the third Saturday in the month of April.
Days after Papa's death friends and relatives came to pay condolence visits they brought things for us like; Garri, bunch of plantain, smokes fish, provisions and many more. We ate whatever we liked during that period. It was totally a blessing in disguise.

Six months has passed since Papa's death, the October rains which were the last rains were just falling. People no longer brought condolence items for us again. We had to struggle to find our feet, life was not really smiling at us, our properties were seized by Uncle Tochukwu which was now the Elder brother, he claims he wants to keep it for me and releases it when I get older.
Mama was very young she was in her early thirties and she comes from a very poor family. The only thing left for us was the house we lived in. we have began our normal lives. Mama was a petty trader she sells at the market but the income couldn't make ends meet. We barely feed talk the less of to pay school fees. I and my siblings left school to help Mama hawk some wares while she sells at the main market. At least we could feed twice a day when we started this routine.
Mama was now regaining her strength I think she decided to be strong for us because, there's lonely days ahead.

It was a bright harmattan morning of December 1998. I just woke up, Somto and Nmachi had already woken up since 6:00am to pick "udara" from the neighbouring compound with their friends. I grabbed my bucket, off to the stream I went. On my way, I saw my friends Chigozie and Ebube going to the stream also. We talked about the masquerade that would be coming out this Christmas and how we would participate fully watching the masquerades and the kind of clothes we would put on the Christmas day.
The Christmas was soon approaching friends and relatives from the city came back home to spend the holidays. Dancing competition was set by the "big brothers" (guys between 23-30 years) who came from the city. You need to see the children dancing their butt off for the Price of #5. Foods were cooked and shared and there were different occasions. people like us ( especially me) prayed this season never comes to an end because I had not to worry about food, I suddenly forgot how hunger felt and I wished the season never ends.

Interesting shey?? grin pls like and share.
Re: Vengeance by Peaceyyy: 3:38pm On Jan 10, 2018
[
Re: Vengeance by Peaceyyy: 2:45pm On Jan 11, 2018
[/quote]
Ada! Ada!! Ada!!. This was the voice of Mama's friend Agnes, the village gossiper calling Mama from the thatch gate of our compound. Our compound was a big compound with three mud houses. Two was made for us and the other was the kitchen, the Obi was found at the far right end of the compound. Their was a lot of excitement in Mama's friend "Agnes" voice maybe she has some good news.
Mama came out of the hut with her left hand still tieing her wrapper to her chest.Before Aunty Agnes came, Mama was peeling Cassava at the back of the house and I and my siblings were giving her a helping hand.
Aunty Agnes had just come to tell Mama that Mama's childhood Friend, "Rosaline" had just come back from America. Immediately Mama heard the news, she rushed immediately to the backyard and kept the knife she was holding which she used in peeling the Cassava; off she went to Late Pa Anthony's compound to see her best friend she had not seen for a very long time and I trailed behind following her.
According to Mama, Aunty Rosaline was her best friend during their childhood days and they did everything together despite the fact that Aunty Rosaline was older than her. Mama and Aunty Rosaline finally parted ways when Aunty Rosaline finally went to live with her Uncle at Lagos.The last time when Aunty Rosaline came back from Lagos to the village, she told Mama that she was going Abroad with a rich merchant who gives job opportunity to anyone who follows him abroad.
Mama got to the compound, she saw Aunty Rosaline, she ran to embrace her and called her a fond name "Rosa" Aunty Rosaline gave a hearty laughter she was indeed happy to see Mama. She was looking far younger than Mama. Mama envied her, I could see it in her eyes Aunty Rosaline wore good clothes and she wore nice shoes she looked like a person brought from outer space.
She took Mama inside and they chatted for a very long time I sat down at the wooden bench at the veranda of the house Munching the sweet chocolate she brought I wished Aunty Rosaline was my mum thereby could have lots of chololate everyday I left some for my siblings who were at home. What could they be doing by now?? Playing of course or causing trouble.
By the time I could finish two, Aunty Rosaline and Mama were still discussing I decided this time to stop eating and at least eaves drop on them. Mama told Aunty Rosaline on her she lost her husband, my Father and how things were very difficult (from Mama's clothes you could already tell that things were bad for us). Many things had happened for those long years and I guess Mama and Aunty Rose were not able to remember everything that took place.
People began trooping in and out of the compound, everyone want to have a taste of America's goodies.Aunty Rosaline brought lots of sweets and chocolates for the children what could I do? I went back to the queue and stretch my hands for a second share. Adults wanted a share also, but she insisted it was strictly for the children. She brought spices and bracelet for the women and gave the men some American currency. The children and the women of the village sang her praises some of the men kept the Money boasting they would show it off to their generation that they have touched "Obodo Oyibo" money. The house was so crowded that day that Mama suggested to leave only for Aunty Rosaline to say she would visit the next day.

Pls share and comment... grin

(1) (Reply)

Wole Soyinka Is A Brilliant Playwright. / Reason Why We Brought Khalil Gibran Society To Nigeria / Something To Know About That Bird On The Wire [picscribe]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.