Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,279 members, 7,807,936 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:08 PM

Are You Writing A Book? Need Manuscript Evaluation? Free Critique Available - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Are You Writing A Book? Need Manuscript Evaluation? Free Critique Available (783 Views)

Chidi Nwaogu, Just Broke A Fresh Guinness World For Longest Credit On A Book / Read A Book Today!!! / How Much Can Writing A Secondary School Textbook Fetch Me? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You Writing A Book? Need Manuscript Evaluation? Free Critique Available by the1960editor: 5:09pm On Jan 10, 2018
Hi,

So I noticed that a lot of Nigerians have excellent story ideas they'd like to turn into books. This is wonderful, as we need more African literature in the literary sphere; however, many of new writers churn out books that are severely lacking in content and depth.

Sometimes, it's their fault that they've published a less-than-standard manuscript. Other times, they're victims of a system that stifles creativity, promotes mediocrity, and does not lend much to learning about the writing process. Here are some other problems:

1. Very few high-and-mighty authors volunteer to help the up-coming folk find their way to the top. Their workshops are in far-away lands, and even when they're held in Nigeria, only a few people are accepted. They barely answer inquiries, and they move in such close-knit circles that you'd be a strongman to attempt asking a question when you met them at Ake.

(Yes, I know they're busy people and have a life, but I believe more can be done if they band together to help the masses) grin

2. The literary blogs concentrate on literary news and events. When it comes to examining the writing process, they're nowhere to be found.

3. On the writers' path, they hardly read (quality books) but somehow expect to be excellent writers. Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.

4. A million other things that include the inability to find creative writing programs in higher institutions and ends at the near lack of residencies/grants/societal support ...but I digress.

I'm sick and tired of picking up terrible books that have been allowed to see the light of day because the author's best friend told them they're the best writer in the world.

Facebook likes on those Facebook stories don't make you a genius. Sorry.

Want to really write something that'd really blow everyone's mind? Get someone neutral (that reads all sorts) to critique your work.

I currently have some time on my hands and can offer free critiques that'll examine the following in your work:

1. Plot (for gaping holes, timeline issues)
2. Characters (to see if they're well rounded, properly built)
3. Dialogue (we're tired of unrealistic speech)
4. Structure (roller coaster arrangement or dope, understandable text?)
5. Audience acceptance

If I see anything that's outrightly outrageous, I'll mention it in the report (between 1500 - 3000 words) I'll send to you. It'll point out glaring problems and tell you how to resolve them. Sometimes, the critique will come as a typed document. Other times, I'll send a voice message.

To get your free critique, please send your manuscript to the1960editor@yahoo.com.

Don't trust me and think I want to steal your wonderful manuscript? grin Send the first 40 pages.

Everyone who sends in stuff will get replies within a week. If for some reason I can't read your manuscript, I'll let you know.

With this, I hope I can help someone become the next Chimamanda. We deserve to top those fancy bestselling lists. Don't we?

Cheers...

P.S Please, this is not an editorial service. I, unfortunately, cannot help spot language errors. Also, anyone can ask questions here or in their email, and I'll try my best to give answers.
Re: Are You Writing A Book? Need Manuscript Evaluation? Free Critique Available by the1960editor: 12:34pm On Jan 11, 2018
.... so people have mentioned that the first post was too long. This is the koko of the story.

I currently have some time on my hands and can offer free critiques that'll examine the following in your work:

1. Plot (for gaping holes, timeline issues)
2. Characters (to see if they're well rounded, properly built)
3. Dialogue (we're tired of unrealistic speech)
4. Structure (roller coaster arrangement or dope, understandable text?)
5. Audience acceptance

If I see anything that's outrightly outrageous, I'll mention it in the report (between 1500 - 3000 words) I'll send to you. It'll point out glaring problems and tell you how to resolve them. Sometimes, the critique will come as a typed document. Other times, I'll send a voice message.

To get your free critique, please send your manuscript to the1960editor(at)yahoo.com.

Don't trust me and think I want to steal your wonderful manuscript? grin Send the first 40 pages.

Everyone who sends in stuff will get replies within a week. If for some reason I can't read your manuscript, I'll let you know.

With this, I hope I can help someone become the next Chimamanda. We deserve to top those fancy bestselling lists. Don't we?

Cheers...

P.S Please, this is not an editorial service. I, unfortunately, cannot help spot language errors. Also, anyone can ask questions here or in their email, and I'll try my best to give answers.
Re: Are You Writing A Book? Need Manuscript Evaluation? Free Critique Available by slinkky(m): 4:14pm On Jan 15, 2018
Please what about editing a non-fiction book. Do you have any time for that.
Re: Are You Writing A Book? Need Manuscript Evaluation? Free Critique Available by the1960editor: 10:39pm On Jan 15, 2018
slinkky:
Please what about editing a non-fiction book. Do you have any time for that.

Hey, Slinkky...

Depends on how many words you have. Can you send a mail with your word count? Also, let me know the type of editing do you need? Proofreading, line editing or substantive editing?

Thank you.
Re: Are You Writing A Book? Need Manuscript Evaluation? Free Critique Available by slinkky(m): 11:02am On Jan 16, 2018
I have sent you a mail
Re: Are You Writing A Book? Need Manuscript Evaluation? Free Critique Available by slinkky(m): 11:05am On Jan 16, 2018
Your email adress 1960editor@yhoo.com not found
Re: Are You Writing A Book? Need Manuscript Evaluation? Free Critique Available by slinkky(m): 8:54pm On Jan 16, 2018
the1960editor:

Hey, Slinkky...

Depends on how many words you have. Can you send a mail with your word count? Also, let me know the type of editing do you need? Proofreading, line editing or substantive editing?

Thank you.
Your email address1960editor@yhoo.com does not exist
Re: Are You Writing A Book? Need Manuscript Evaluation? Free Critique Available by the1960editor: 12:42pm On Jan 19, 2018
slinkky:
Your email address1960editor@yhoo.com does not exist

Hi Slinkky...

It's the1960editor@yahoo.com. I don't think you included the 'the' in the email address.

Cheers...
Re: Are You Writing A Book? Need Manuscript Evaluation? Free Critique Available by slinkky(m): 3:32pm On Jan 19, 2018
the1960editor:

Hi Slinkky...

It's the1960editor@yahoo.com. I don't think you included the 'the' in the email address.

Cheers...
true i used only 1960editor without the

(1) (Reply)

/ Write a 3,000 Word Business Document and Earn N5,000 / The Keke Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.