Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,857 members, 7,806,425 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:27 PM

Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) (40696 Views)

I Lost A Colleague To An Explosion At Work In Kogi (Graphic Photos) / Python Falls Through Ceiling Into Bank During Staff Meeting In China / Viewers Discretion!!! Young Fall Down From Scaffold And Die Instantly. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by Pataricatering(f): 10:36pm On Jan 10, 2018
Are you really serious? To you any death is ritual ? God save us with this mentality!
spyroet:
ritual things

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by KeleDon(m): 10:42pm On Jan 10, 2018
op it happened in the early hours of tuesday morning and not today wednesday...... and the painter was electricuted due to the scarfold was erected close to the phcn high tension pole that is very close to the plaza building.
thou truth be told he was working wit out harnes belt.
Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jan 10, 2018
The end of another struggle....Wat a sad life
Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by Nobody: 10:54pm On Jan 10, 2018

Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by williamdeluxe(m): 11:21pm On Jan 10, 2018
Ave bin working on a house like dix one(aluminium works-windows)...
I ave complained tu d engineer on more Dan 4 occasion on scafflold ......

wit what I ave jux seen... I mite jus stop d work 2moro

3 Likes

Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by AmAlbert(m): 11:23pm On Jan 10, 2018
wwwtortoise:

Pentecostal gini?
wilyu kip kwayet!

Kikikikikikikikakakakakakaka
Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by stevups(m): 11:35pm On Jan 10, 2018
That is what countless numbers of Nigerians pass through each day in search of daily meal.

1 Like

Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by Nobody: 11:39pm On Jan 10, 2018
As far as we keep relegating safety issues to the background, incidents/accidents like this will remain commonplace. Work at heights are high risk ventures hence the need to pay attention to every detail.

This was clearly avoidable. Which scaffold engineer certified the erection? No platforms,no toe-boards, no guardrails, fall arrest system, no PPE...

They just wasted that life. It also appears he was a lone worker.

Lagos state has a safety Commission that should ensure that necessary risks assessments are carried out by safety personnel in concert with the builder before engaging in high risk activities.

3 Likes

Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by omooba969(m): 11:39pm On Jan 10, 2018
spyroet:
ritual things

Chaigrin Nigerians!
Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by digitalheadline(m): 11:52pm On Jan 10, 2018
Zionista:
As far as we keep relegating safety issues to the background, incidents/accidents like this eill remain commonplace. Work at heights are high risk ventures hence the need to vpay attention to every detail.

This was clearly avoidable. Which scaffold engineer certified the erection? No platforms,no toe-boards, no guardrails, fall arrest system, no PPE...

They just wasted that life. It also appears he was a lone worker.

Lagos state has a safety Commission that should ensure that necessary risks assessments are carried out by safety personnel in concert with the builder before engaging in high risk activities.
You just spoke my mind. We so neglect safety in most workplaces in Nigeria. This for me, isn't a scaffold. This fatality would have been avoided if the scaffold was erected by a competent scaffold engineer with a safety officer on ground to ensure that the workers adhere to rule with using the necessary PPE. I also noticed they did not consider proximity to electricity lines while setting up the scaffold. I hope other workers, organizations learn from this accident to prevent re-occurrence. Who authorized his PTW?

1 Like

Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by Probz(m): 12:01am On Jan 11, 2018
Pataricatering:
Are you really serious? To you any death is ritual ? God save us with this mentality!

Amen.
Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by Dearlord(m): 12:10am On Jan 11, 2018
This is terrible, why are people falling and dying anyhow? Same thing happened to a passenger boarding the Young Shall Grow mass transit 2days ago.
Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by Nobody: 12:16am On Jan 11, 2018
digitalheadline:

You just spoke my mind. We so neglect safety in most workplaces in Nigeria. This for me, isn't a scaffold. This fatality would have been avoided if the scaffold was erected by a competent scaffold engineer with a safety officer on ground to ensure that the workers adhere to rule with using the necessary PPE. I also noticed they did not consider proximity to electricity lines while setting up the scaffold. I hope other workers, organizations learn from this accident to prevent re-occurrence. Who authorized his PTW?

You are very much on point. Proximity to overhead services like power lines is not also given considerations in our clime.

The Building Control Boards and State Safety agencies must seriously consider issuing Permits to Work before erecting buildings. This will put all safety checks in place.
Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by AlexanderDGreat: 12:20am On Jan 11, 2018
In the safety industry, the use of harness belt is a must to avoid this kind of tragedy.
Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by macaranta(m): 12:36am On Jan 11, 2018
Pierohandsome:
The contractor has to arrested, why on earth will he allow a scaffolder climb up the standard without a safety belt? That is suicidal. That is why whn companies are employing scaffolder the interview question are mainly based on safety and some will not employ u if u dnt have a safety certificate.

Climbing the platform without safety belt, is nothing but hazard
Harness actually, but you are very correct. Working at height you need a means of fastening to the most stable and fixed point.
Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by Bollinger(m): 1:51am On Jan 11, 2018
Pierohandsome:
The contractor has to arrested, why on earth will he allow a scaffolder climb up the standard without a safety belt? That is suicidal. That is why whn companies are employing scaffolder the interview question are mainly based on safety and some will not employ u if u dnt have a safety certificate.

Question is, what standards exist in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by AreaFada2: 4:10am On Jan 11, 2018
xdos:
This is terrible. From all indication, he was not wearing a harness belt. I hope the govt sues the company he was working for to their last kobo.

Sometimes these guys are the problem. This may even be a suicide case.
I remember trying to correct a man politely that he should take off his seatbelt while in a gas station. The man flared up oh asking me if I know better than him. All because I told him the safety implication of wearing a seatbelt in a gas station.
When I see guys that ascend mast/heights without harness belt, I get scared. When you try to talk to them, they'll tell you that they have been doing it for 30yrs...

Very true sadly. We cut corners too much. People do not take correction most times. We need to start enforcing health & safety rules.

We always end saying it is the will of God. shocked shocked

Probably no insurance to give his family some succor.

RIP to him.
Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by nedu2000(m): 4:31am On Jan 11, 2018
Pierohandsome:

arrested for what? Would ruining another life bring back the young man? Persecuted yes,arrested no
Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by safetyInspector(m): 4:38am On Jan 11, 2018
From my assessment, the erectors of the scaffold might not even be the problem but the contractor did not provided much needed materials. If the scaffold was properly erected with means of access, fully boarded working platforms with guardrails there might be no need for safety harness. Until local authorities take see it as a duty to create safety awareness on construction sites(not necessarily on cooperate organizations) this kind of incident will continue to occur. Construction workers should start seeing themselves as those that have the primary responsibility of their safety. The contractors will always try to cut corners. The cost of providing standard scaffold for that building for 20 days can building a standard one bedroom flat. If the contractors cant provided a suitable working environment for them, the workers should at least protect themselves with PPE's
digitalheadline:

Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by castrol180(m): 5:47am On Jan 11, 2018
StarBukola:
Really sad cry RIP

Bukky, water dropping from ya eyes?
Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by seejay80s: 5:58am On Jan 11, 2018
u sure say this man fall from scaffold abi e fall from skyscraper ?
Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by lonelydora: 6:38am On Jan 11, 2018
xdos:
This is terrible. From all indication, he was not wearing a harness belt. I hope the govt sues the company he was working for to their last kobo.

Sometimes these guys are the problem. This may even be a suicide case.
I remember trying to correct a man politely that he should take off his seatbelt while in a gas station. The man flared up oh asking me if I know better than him. All because I told him the safety implication of wearing a seatbelt in a gas station.
When I see guys that ascend mast/heights without harness belt, I get scared. When you try to talk to them, they'll tell you that they have been doing it for 30yrs...

Some will say...Are you teaching me what i know?
Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by kennyldelsu: 6:46am On Jan 11, 2018
Hozier:
Arrested for what? undecided
If the victim is certified in that field
Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by Nobody: 7:50am On Jan 11, 2018
we see this everyday, people on scaffolds, rooftops, several hundred feet above with no safety harness, bracing against cross winds, builders of base station antennas are also guilty of this.

1 Like

Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by Nobody: 7:54am On Jan 11, 2018
Chai. He died in the hustle.
RIP dude
Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by thorpido(m): 7:57am On Jan 11, 2018
Lightwands:
No PPE.... noticed the shorttened limb?
Good observation.That would have contributed to his imbalance.
Apart from not having safety accessories.
Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by Jerrypolo(m): 8:28am On Jan 11, 2018
Keneking:
But the scaffold looks well positioned and intact.

He fell into the next compound at an amazing speed.

Must have lost grip and landed with head with the speed of light.

Does the property have building permit?

Looks like a Pentecostal church in design.

Out of sheer foolishness you decided to tie a church to the story. When reasonable people are talking about safety and its like.

Where did you see the church design?. If you are talking from the view point of the building, then it looks like a three storey block of flat apartments.

You just want to be quoted.
Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by MistadeRegal(m): 8:50am On Jan 11, 2018
Keneking:
But the scaffold looks well positioned and intact.

He fell into the next compound at an amazing speed.

Must have lost grip and landed with head with the speed of light.

Does the property have building permit?

Looks like a Pentecostal church in design.

No it's not a Pentecostal church design it's a Pentecostal mosque design.
Must you comment?
Go school you no gree.
Learn work you no gree.
Ok swallow common sense you no gree.
You see flat building call it church.
You think that's hilarious?
Better start consuming honey and walnut and pure Vitamin A.
MUMUISM.

1 Like

Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by makeitijn: 9:23am On Jan 11, 2018
[size=16pt][/size]looks like he's just a painter
Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by torvickof1312(m): 9:33am On Jan 11, 2018
You die a hustler man, RIP.
Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by Amhappy(f): 9:45am On Jan 11, 2018
What a tragedy. Safety harness is not more than 15k. Life is so cheap in this country.
Re: Man Falls From Scaffold In Rivers & Dies Instantly (Graphic Photos) by Yinkame123(m): 9:53am On Jan 11, 2018
Pierohandsome:

What is required is actually harness belt with double lanyard and shock absorber not safety belt. Their is a clear difference between safety belt and harness belt. Also, harness belt does not prevent you from falling rather it prevent you from getting to the ground when you fall. with the picture of the scaffold even if he uses harness belt and fall he will still sustained serious injury because of the pendulum effect and distance between the fence and the building. Similarly, the scaffold is incompletely erected. No guard rails, no toed boards and no mid rails. Most construction sites in Nigeria especially privately own erect scaffold just to get to height to perform a task but not for safety considerations of falling from height.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG Slashes Civil Servants' Salaries Weeks Before Christmas Pix / Nkiru Emodi, Shoemaker, Wins Entrepreneur Of The Year Award (Photos) / Facebook (Meta) Sacks 21,000 Employees. Read Mark Zuckerberg's Message

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.