Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,519 members, 7,808,892 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:49 PM

Handshake: What Next? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Handshake: What Next? (664 Views)

Aisha Buhari And Patience Jonathan Handshake (Photos) / The Handshake Between Two Lawmakers In Imo State That Got People Talking / Photo Of Wike's "Special" Handshake Surfaces After Accusing Amaechi Of Cultism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Handshake: What Next? by alade112(m): 5:40am On Jan 11, 2018
IN a society where collaboration between geopolitical zones often lead to landmark consensus on national issues, today’s summit between the Yoruba and Igbo, will be seen as very promising.
Handshake Across the Niger summit
The fact that the Yoruba and the Igbo have rarely had any convergence on socio-political issues before and after independence, suggests that the outcome of the forum may likely address the age-long mistrust between them.
It could also be a functional vehicle for the bonding of the components that make up the larger South.
If the conference heralds that, the dreams of having a monolithic South like the North would be birthed in Enugu thereby signposting an era of mutual stance on national affairs.
Already, the South-South has keyed into the project, corroborating the position of analysts that it could yield critical ingredients needed for the realignment of a divided South.
Though there had been near-similar summits in the past under the auspices of Southern Conference, the fact that the latest one is purely being driven by the apex socio-cultural organizations among the Yoruba and the Igbo is significant.
Titled Handshake Across the Niger, it is expected that the forum which comes at a time Nigeria is challenged by peculiar social, economic and political challenges like never before, would provide a platform to prick the conscience of the Federal Government.
On the one hand, both conveners and sympathetic analysts are enthusiastic that the gathering would explore, sustain and strengthen the bond between both ethnic blocs. On the other hand some are skeptical about the possibility of achieving its set-goals considering the deep-seated nature of the mistrust between both tribes on virtually every issue.
However, Nigerians are waiting with bated breath to see how far the summit would go in promoting the interests of not only both tribes but Southern Nigeria.
Such expectation was even highlighted by Ohaneze in a pre-event statement where it said thus: ‘’The event which will attract several notable Igbo and Yoruba elites and stakeholders would x-ray the past, present, and future of Igbo /Yoruba relationship and seek for ways to boost such relationship.
‘’The two groups are from the same Kwa stock of the Niger/Congo family group and have a lot in common, though mutually suspicious of each other over the years. They also share some critical views on the restructuring of Nigeria,” Ohanaeze Ndigbo said.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/01/handshake-what-next/
Re: Handshake: What Next? by Amarabae(f): 5:55am On Jan 11, 2018
Ask them.
Re: Handshake: What Next? by AdeniyiA(m): 5:56am On Jan 11, 2018
...sword shake... lipsrsealed
Re: Handshake: What Next? by nku5: 6:18am On Jan 11, 2018
There is a difference between comrades and friends. Comrades are people that have a common cause and unite for that purpose and generally nothing more.

Friendship can develop between comrades and it can also not develop. No long thing here cool
Re: Handshake: What Next? by DuchessLily(f): 6:28am On Jan 11, 2018
Hmmm...handshake ko, backstab ni.
Leopard never changes its skin oo

Well sha, God dey
Re: Handshake: What Next? by crazymommy(f): 6:55am On Jan 11, 2018
DuchessLily:
Hmmm...handshake ko, backstab ni.
Leopard never changes its skin ooo

Well sha, God dey
harmattan Don dey affect them these days... wink
Re: Handshake: What Next? by Preshy561(f): 6:59am On Jan 11, 2018
okay.....

they should wear gloves.
Re: Handshake: What Next? by alexlife(m): 7:07am On Jan 11, 2018
what next?
we igbos eat ewedu and amala, while Yoruba eat akpu and egusi. this will enable we great Igbos know how they reason(you guyz know na) while Akpu and Egusi will dash my yoruba brothers sense. they can drink our palm wine and get their brain cleanse of backstabbing
Re: Handshake: What Next? by emmie14: 7:11am On Jan 11, 2018
The only way forward
Re: Handshake: What Next? by zombieTRACKER: 7:17am On Jan 11, 2018
The agenda should be how to stop Buhari in 2019

That old fool from his political appointments wants to rig that election and use force to silence everyone

If buhari should be there after 2019
Then am sorry for the youths
Nysc will now be done in Libya desert
Am sorry for the minority tribes of Nigeria
They should just park up and head to Congo

Buhari is a glorified disease
A harbinger of hardship and bad governance
Anyone still supporting him now needs his head examined
Re: Handshake: What Next? by Nobody: 7:45am On Jan 11, 2018
Back stabbing from west

i better unite with satan than west.

1 Like

Re: Handshake: What Next? by Fazemood(m): 7:58am On Jan 11, 2018
These two tribes have gone a long way distrusting and fighting each other, I hope that this meeting will be the beginning of the end of the misunderstandings btwn the two
Re: Handshake: What Next? by 7lives: 9:58am On Jan 11, 2018
Take a chill pill.
The NEXT THING is to wail back stabbing, marginalization and underdevelopment.
For good 55 years when some SMART ALECS were playing subservient politics, AGIPS, SPOILERS and SABO on us, they NEVER remember the need for any hand shake across the Niger, in fact, it was the great foresight of OBJ and the sheer ingenuity of the great Awolowo, that we are not under any SUBJUGATION today.
I know my enemies, I also know my friends.
I MAY LOOK STUPID, BUT A FOOL?, NEVER.
I don't remember reaching any agreement with anyone.
My vote is mine, what I do with it is my business.
Ire o.

1 Like

Re: Handshake: What Next? by laudate: 12:36am On Jan 12, 2018
7lives:
Take a chill pill.
The NEXT THING is to wail back stabbing, marginalization and underdevelopment.
For good 55 years when some SMART ALECS were playing subservient politics, AGIPS, SPOILERS and SABO on us, they NEVER remember the need for any hand shake across the Niger, in fact, it was the great foresight of OBJ and the sheer ingenuity of the great Awolowo, that we are not under any SUBJUGATION today.
I know my enemies, I also know my friends.
I MAY LOOK STUPID, BUT A FOOL?, NEVER.
I don't remember reaching any agreement with anyone.
My vote is mine, what I do with it is my business.
Ire o.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

We Gave Massive Suport To Buhari But Received 73 Corpses In Return- Benue Cleric / Let Register Our Displeasures With The Killings In Benue State. / PHOTOS: Dele Momodu Hangs Out With 3 Generations Of Ghanaian Leaders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.