Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,213 members, 7,780,390 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:30 PM

How ABU Is Fast Becoming Nigeria’s Harvard - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How ABU Is Fast Becoming Nigeria’s Harvard (25784 Views)

Kenneth Ononeze Okwor Graduates From Harvard (Photos) / Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School / PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How ABU Is Fast Becoming Nigeria’s Harvard by eyinjuege: 1:20pm On Jan 14, 2018
ABOKI9ja:
we don't want to school outside North Because of the challenges we might face in the South, a Southerner may Comes to the North, Be welcomed, and feels belong to the North without any discrimination unlike Northerners in the south. I was In Nysc Camp few weeks Back In One of the Northern States and it was obviously the Southerners were Discriminating northerners in the North.
Children from both middle and high classes are schooling outside Nigeria.

I doubt any southerner will tell you they feel welcome in the present day North.
You hardly ever hear of any northerner in the south complain of discrimination.
The problems usually arise when people want to dictate how others live their personal lives.
In NYSC camp or even anywhere you have a group of people, those with similar characteristics will flock together. That's not discrimination, just a normal reaction. With time everyone gets to know others not similar to them, and eventually blend in together.
Can you give examples of discrimination in NYSC camp you noticed? Its very easy to throw such words around, but that may not really be the right description.
Re: How ABU Is Fast Becoming Nigeria’s Harvard by ABOKI9ja: 3:42pm On Jan 14, 2018
eyinjuege:

I doubt any southerner will tell you they feel welcome in the present day North.
The problems usually arise when people want to dictate how others live their personal lives.
In NYSC camp or even anywhere you have a group of people, those with similar characteristics will flock together. That's not discrimination, just a normal reaction. With time everyone gets to know others not similar to them, and eventually blend in together.
Can you give examples of discrimination in NYSC camp you noticed? Its very easy to throw such words around, but that may not really be the right description.

are you telling me you never ever heard southerners discriminating Northerners? It's OK Just forget it #OneLove
Re: How ABU Is Fast Becoming Nigeria’s Harvard by Isahalbash(m): 1:34pm On Jan 15, 2018
eyinjuege:

What about the Aboki, malu nd mallam stereotype grin
Re: How ABU Is Fast Becoming Nigeria’s Harvard by eyinjuege: 4:00pm On Jan 15, 2018
Isahalbash:

What about the Aboki, malu nd mallam stereotype grin

Aboki(a) means my friend.
Mallam means scholar
Malu is derogatory which means cow.
Most Hausa people down south are called aboki mallam, and there's nothing derogatory about the 2 words.
Anyone that calls a northerner Malu purposely wants to look for trouble, and will use such words in a fight. But for normal everyday living in the south, they are called aboki mallams. They don't take offence to such words since you don't know their name- I'm talking of northerners in the markets, or who do all sorts of other manual jobs that you just meet for a few minutes.
In an office setting or people you work everyday with, you call them by their own names- Isah, Ibro/Ibrahim etc.
Re: How ABU Is Fast Becoming Nigeria’s Harvard by Isahalbash(m): 5:21pm On Jan 15, 2018
eyinjuege:

Aboki(a) means my friend.
Mallam means scholar
Malu is derogatory which means cow.
Most Hausa people down south are called aboki mallam, and there's nothing derogatory about the 2 words.
Anyone that calls a northerner Malu purposely wants to look for trouble, and will use such words in a fight. But for normal everyday living in the south, they are called aboki mallams. They don't take offence to such words since you don't know their name- I'm talking of northerners in the markets, or who do all sorts of other manual jobs that you just meet for a few minutes.
In an office setting or people you work everyday with, you call them by their own names- Isah, Ibro/Ibrahim etc.

That's to those who understand hausa what about those who don't?

See, I know what am talking about.. To some, their intentions was " Aboki" a friend but to most it's not.

When your child commit, u refer to him as Aboki, when he's misbehaving Aboki, if he looks very ugly Abokigrin When Ahmed musa dey play rubbish for field.. Shebi na Aboki na.. shey Aboki get sense no be cow them begrin

When I was in sec skul, whenever I make a little mistake, my class teacher would call me Abokigrin

Maybe when Igbos called you Aboki it's not derogatory but yoruba.. gbagbe oshi.. dem go buy ur tin deny u ur money, d next tin nah fight na from there wuna go bcum friendsgrin

Na Lagos boy I be, I no how dis tins dey sup
Re: How ABU Is Fast Becoming Nigeria’s Harvard by Ibrahimndg57(m): 4:46pm On Jan 19, 2018
[quote author=bobofati post=64123486][/quote]thank u

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Professor Jamiu Mosobalaje Oyawoye Is Dead / Mmesoma Ejikeme: JAMB Statement On Result Of Anambra Government Enquiry. / Fake Degree: “I’m Worried Over My Safety”, Says Undercover Journalist, Umar Audu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.