Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,846 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:18 AM

I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida (23062 Views)

I Was Offered Money To Rig Bayelsa Polls, Says INEC Chief / I’ll Run For Presidency In 2015, Says Buhari / Presidency: I’ll Run If God Permits Me – Bakare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Otobroto(f): 6:40pm On Apr 10, 2010
I’ll run for 2011 Presidential polls, says Babangida
Headlines Apr 10, 2010
By SIMON EBEGBULEM AND GABRIEL ENOGHOLASE

Babangida
BENIN CITY-FORMER military President, General Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida, today (Saturday), in Benin City, declared his intention to run for the 2011 Presidential election.

IBB who spoke to newsmen at the Benin Airport while on his way to Asaba, Delta state, to attend the commissioning of Mariam Babangida dual carriage way and a lecture in honour of his late wife, said the persistent rumour by most Nigerians including his political associates and admirers about his intention to return to Aso Rock as a civilian President “is correct”.

The former military President who was dressed in a white Babariga, landed at the Benin Airport in a charted airline with registration number 5N-BLW at about 9:30am and was greeted by the Governor of Delta state, Dr Emmanuel Uduaghan and the deputy governor of Edo state, Dr Pius Odubu. The Governor of Niger state, Alhaji Aliu Babangida was also in the entourage of the former President. Other dignitaries at the airport included Senator Ehigie Uzamere, Chief of Staff to the Edo state government, Osarodion Ogie and John Mayaki.

It would be recalled that the former military president who ruled Nigeria from 1985 – 1993, had told Nigerians during the 54th birthday of Otunba Gbenga Daniels, Governor of Ogun State that he was still consulting with his friends and allies on whether he would contest the 2011 presidential election.
Only recently, former President Olusegun Obasanjo was reported to have held secret meeting with Babangida on the 2011 presidential election. Asked what he was going to do in Delta state, IBB asserted that “I am going to Delta State because of the special love I have for it and courtesy of the Delta State Governor,

Dr. Emmanuel Uduaghan. I am looking forward to going to Delta state because that is my ancestral home. I think that is enough for today”.
Governor Babangida who also spoke to newsmen, stated that Nigerians look forward to the thorough implementation of the Justice Uwais report on the electoral reform in order to enthrone a transparent electoral process before the 2011 general elections.

He said the reform exercise was the only panacea for the emergence of credible leaders without questions about their character and ability to deliver on the dividends of democracy. “All of us are looking forward to it (electoral reform) because we want a legitimate election. We want an election everybody will accept. We want leaders that will emerge, that can say stop these things. We don’t want people whom we will doubt whether they are actual leaders”.
Other dignitaries with General Babangida included the former National Chairman of the United Nigeria Poeples Party, Alhaji Saleh Jumbo and the former Director of military Intelligence (DMI), Halilu Akilu and several others.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/04/10/i-ll-run-for-2011-presidential-poll-says-babangida/
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Otobroto(f): 6:41pm On Apr 10, 2010
It is going to be another do-or-die affair in 2011 elections.
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Kobojunkie: 6:59pm On Apr 10, 2010
These contradicting reports from our newspapers are starting to give me a whiplash. Which do we believe? What is the information minister doing about most of all this?
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Abagworo(m): 7:05pm On Apr 10, 2010
with the support of usa,obj,governors,godfathers and majority of electorates,i foresee a 70 percent sweep in favour of ''the evil genius'' come next year.all that is left is for him to say yes.
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Otobroto(f): 7:06pm On Apr 10, 2010
Kobojunkie:

These contradicting reports from our newspapers are starting to give me a whiplash. Which do we believe? What is the information minister doing about most of all this?

This man as we all know, is a "Maradona". He has made up his mind to contest the elections, but he is test-running his popularity. That is why he is not very certain.
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Nobody: 7:10pm On Apr 10, 2010
Abagworo:

with the support of usa,obj,governors,godfathers and majority of electorates,i foresee a 70 percent sweep in favour of ''the evil genius'' come next year.all that is left is for him to say yes.
babangida is going nowhere.the media is only giving him undue attenetion.trust me
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Nobody: 7:17pm On Apr 10, 2010
Let IBB :

1. Return all the stolen billions, $12 Billion dollars in total.

2. Accept that he was behind Dele Giwa's death and offer an apology and valid reason.

3. Apologise for the annulment of the June 12 elections and the mayhem that esnued.

If these 3 points are achieved THEN MAYBE we will agree that he is truly repentant for his past actions and give me a chance to contest.
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by sjeezy8: 7:30pm On Apr 10, 2010
IBB can become president but I wouldnt vote for him but the with the elites and americas backing in naija he could be.

I prefer el rufai maybe goodluck but both can be very risky. IBB is thought of by he Elite in Nigeria as a safe choice.
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Kobojunkie: 7:33pm On Apr 10, 2010
Yes, the all convenient LIE we create for our stupidity, THEY are the reason why WE continue to allow the same old goons to hold power over us. If it is not THE CABAL/OJUJU-CALABAR, it is America. Can anyone please provide some substantial evidence of the claims we continue to make? Any documents revealing that IBB has the backing of America? Even one name of a member of the so-called CABAL?
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Abagworo(m): 7:34pm On Apr 10, 2010
frosbel:

Let IBB :

2. Accept that he was behind Dele Giwa's death and offer an apology and valid reason.

3. Apologise for the annulment of the June 12 elections and the mayhem that esnued.

If these 3 points are achieved THEN MAYBE we will agree that he is truly repentant for his past actions and give him a chance to contest.

if ''we'' is in reference to you and your friends then i will agree,however if you meant nigerians, then you are in minority.amongst artisans,semi-literates,okada riders,miscreants,yahoo boys,419ers and the average street people,ibb is loved and by calculations majority of voters fall into that class.the only power that can stop ibb is legal power.
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Otobroto(f): 7:42pm On Apr 10, 2010
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by safeact(m): 7:46pm On Apr 10, 2010
Badamosi should fyck his axs at Minna! Is he a power drunk? Can Bill Clinton come back to contest election in USA? If that is d case then OBJ should as well context in 2011 after dis one is a fresh one having been out of power for 4yrs there4 i dont think it is 3rd tenure. Badamosi should start seeing himself as one of them and stop deceiving himself . In a country of 150m, he still thinks he is stll d best, for me thinking about that is a crime and voicing it out is a treasonal offence. He better come back to his senses and realise ön time that their era is gone!
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Onlytruth(m): 7:48pm On Apr 10, 2010
frosbel:

Let IBB :

Which of the former Nigerian leaders returned his loot? Did Obasanjo return his loot from FESTAC and ITT?

Since when did that start to happen in Nigeria?, i.e accounting for dead citizens. IBB should not start to account. Has OBJ accounted for the deaths while he was president?

He has nothing to apologize for there. He didn't annul the elections alone. Even some of Abiola's kinsmen played a role in the annulment. No one should scapegoat IBB.

If these 3 points are achieved THEN MAYBE we will agree that he is truly repentant for his past actions and give me a chance to contest.

The day we embark on a truth and reconciliation effort, that may become relevant. For now, we are looking for someone to lead Nigeria next year. We don't have to convict anyone based on gossip and hearsay.
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by KnowAll(m): 8:04pm On Apr 10, 2010
What we need is stability and assurance I think IBB would give us that. Yaradua took us back to the Nigerian stone age of 1966 where tribal bickering, blatant and outright nepotism and favouritism were the order of the day. The good thing about ex Militiary men is that they have lived and worked in the four corners of Nigeria in pursuing their line of duty, that has made them very cosmopolitian. It is either they were in 2nd Mechanised in Ibadan, Dodan Barraks In Lagos, 82nd in Enugu or 3rd Mechanised in Jos plus other stints in Abuja and Kaduna.

It would be good for confidence in the economy and growth. How Jonathan would dribble pass IBB the Maradona in getting the coveted Presidency is something I would be looking at very keenly.

Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Nobody: 8:15pm On Apr 10, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Yes, the all convenient LIE we create for our stupidity, THEY are the reason why WE continue to allow the same old goons to hold power over us. If it is not THE CABAL/OJUJU-CALABAR, it is America. Can anyone please provide some substantial evidence of the claims we continue to make? Any documents revealing that IBB has the backing of America? Even one name of a member of the so-called CABAL?
most folks concluded that for the US assistant secretary of states to visit ibb automaticallty translates to us support for him.
KnowAll:

What we need is stability and assurance I think IBB would give us that. Yaradua took us back to the Nigerian stone age of 1966 where tribal bickering, blatant and outright nepotism and favouritism were the order of the day. The good thing about ex Militiary men is that they have lived and worked in the four corners of Nigeria in pursuing their line of duty, that has made them very cosmopolitian. It is either they were in 2nd Mechanised in Ibadan, Dodan Barraks In Lagos, 82nd in Enugu or 3rd Mechanised in Jos plus other stints in Abuja and Kaduna.

It would be good for confidence in the economy and growth. How Jonathan would dribble pass IBB the Maradona in getting the coveted Presidency is something I would be looking at very keenly.

what accountabiity and stabilty did he make when he was a military president.please i like to hear that cuz in xome other places,ibb ought to be investigated and prosecuted as well with all the evidences against him so far
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by KnowAll(m): 8:25pm On Apr 10, 2010
what accountabiity and stabilty did he make when he was a military president.please i like to hear that cuz in xome other places,ibb ought to be investigated and prosecuted as well with all the evidences against him so far

Who mentioned accountability, I said Assurance and stability. undecided
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by nosa2(m): 8:33pm On Apr 10, 2010
Why cant mend drop this fool? Some things dont require talk. I volunteer to do the deed but I would require some training and tools
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Nobody: 8:36pm On Apr 10, 2010
@knowall
what assurance and stabilty did he offer?
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by invisible2(m): 8:43pm On Apr 10, 2010
@nosa2, if you are the same guy that supports Sanusi at SMN, then you berra support IBB, you love making wrong choices.
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by ReachRich(m): 9:06pm On Apr 10, 2010
IBB is sure taking over Aso Rock come 2011 with Orji Kalu as vice.It is a deal signed,sealed and delivered.9ja wait and see.
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by KnowAll(m): 9:15pm On Apr 10, 2010
Assurance- You can see stakholders from every geo-political zone falling all over each other in order to be seen to be the one that crowned his royal highness the prince from the hills of Minna. Even Diaporas are organising road-shows in suppot of IBB. That is what is called assurance.

OBJ ruled Nigeria for 8 good years assuringly that does not mean atrocities where not commited or how else do we explain the $16 billion dollars spent on the power sector but nothing to show for. But the advantages of his regime outways the dis-advantages, that is assurance.

Stability - With Assurance firmly on the ground comes stability and growth. It does not mean corruption would not happen. Jerry Rawlings was actually the first civilian President of Ghana his role was that of assurance and stabilty. He ruled for 2 terms of 4 years each. What he left behind was not what u see today but the structures he establish are what has made growth possible today in Ghana. Also one can be rest assured that a military coup would be something alien and distance to the Nigeria psche with IBB at the helms of affair. Our democracy is still young and still needs tutelage from experience hands not with what we all woke up to witness when a comatossed Yaradua was brought into town.
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Kobojunkie: 9:16pm On Apr 10, 2010
Are you talking of the same Orji Kalu that ruined Abia State?

@Knowall, please stop spewing BULL, thinking it makes sense in some way. The same you claimed IBB would run only to drop out last minute. Now you are telling us bull of how he is of assurance and stability.
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by KnowAll(m): 9:28pm On Apr 10, 2010
@Knowall, please stop spewing BULL, thinking it makes sense in some way. The same you claimed IBB would run only to drop out last minute. Now you are telling us bull of how he is of assurance and stability.

That was a personal opionion and my observation because of his lackadisical attitude about him running for the Presidency, I think I am entitled to opinions, On Assurance and Stabilty whether u like it or not if the man has decided he wants the top job, I am afraid there is nothing u can do. He is no weakling military wise. He is street wise in the debauchery called governance in Nigeria. I am for Jornthan but if the Maradona of Niger state throws his hat in the ring, then everyone would have to take a step backwards within the PDP. undecided
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by marvix(m): 9:38pm On Apr 10, 2010
I think knowall is d person they were referin 2 wen dey said he who does not know but thinks dat he knows, Pls spare us all ur jargons 4 ur info a sick Yaradua is better dan IBB in any form, military coups are already alien 2 us, our democracy is no longer young it has matured and dat was y it survived d recent crisis.

For all those who will want 2 eat me because of my coment dat d sick Yaradua is beta dan IBB shld pls do a detailed research nd compare Yaraduas 3yr rule nd IBBs 8yr rule. In my opinion if IBB did half of wat Yaradua has done in d last 3yrs we won't b complainin abt somtins we are complainin abt 2day.
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by KnowAll(m): 9:54pm On Apr 10, 2010
I think knowall is d person they were referin 2 wen dey said he who does not know but thinks dat he knows,  Pls spare us all your jargons 4 your info a sick Yaradua is better dan IBB in any form, military coups are already alien 2 us, our democracy is no longer young it has matured and dat was y it survived d recent crisis.

For all those who will want 2 eat me because of my coment dat d sick Yaradua is beta dan IBB shld pls do a detailed research nd compare Yaraduas 3yr rule nd IBBs 8yr rule. In my opinion if IBB did half of wat Yaradua has done in d last 3yrs we won't b complainin abt somtins we are complainin abt 2day.

Pls spare us all your jargons 4 your info a sick Yaradua is better dan IBB in any form- 

That is a fallacy and fall short of mundane reasons. Yaradua made it possible for a group of unelected officials to fleece the country of 70 billion Naira.

military coups are already alien 2 us, our democracy is no longer young it has matured and dat was y it survived d recent crisis. -

Military Coups are a clear and present danger. All u need to do to be convinced of this fact is check the number of coup threads that sprang up between November 2009 and Feb 2010. Coups is as real as day light up till just b4 Jonathan was empowered. Even now we are not all clear.

In my opinion if IBB did half of wat Yaradua has done in d last 3yrs we won't b complainin abt somtins we are complainin abt 2day.

IBB was an absolute leader in other words a dictator, he would not be having the kind of power he had as a Military head state as a Civilian head of state. That is why OBJ another Military dictator's 3rd term agenda was defeated. There is no basis for comparing, u compare like for like.

Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Kobojunkie: 10:06pm On Apr 10, 2010
Not saying you do not have a right to an opinion, just that it is bull because you just now switched from the logic to offered only last week and even suggested we will, in time, learn that you are right.
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by invisible2(m): 10:10pm On Apr 10, 2010
IBB left as the worst president, if he comes back and rule for 8 years, be sure the only thing that will grow in Nigeria is his bank account. 150 million fools following a thief for 8 wasted years? Pathetic.
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by haronky7: 10:18pm On Apr 10, 2010
Finally the dice is cast.

Like I said before, unfortunately in Nigeria it is SELECTION and not ELECTION.

If it is proper election, there is a high chance of IBB losing, and since it is going to be a selection, only God of heaven can stop him now because the man is skilled in 'pressing the right button'. What I don't understand is what he's coming back to do after 8 God-forsaken years that rolled the whole nation backwards for nearly a century! It's so sad we never learn as a nation, may God forgive us

Nigerians, here we go again! cry cry
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by KnowAll(m): 10:19pm On Apr 10, 2010
Not saying you do not have a right to an opinion, just that it is bull because you just now switched from the logic to offered only last week and even suggested we will, in time, learn that you are right

Let us put it mildly, what I said a few days ago is wishful thinking as a Jonathan supporter. Today we are talking of events as they present themselves and are unfolding b4 our very eyes and my position is as stated above. IBB would bring Assurance and Stability to the polity.
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by SkyBlue1: 10:24pm On Apr 10, 2010
KnowAll:

Assurance- You can see stakholders from every geo-political zone falling all over each other in order to be seen to be the one that crowned his royal highness the prince from the hills of Minna. Even Diaporas are organising road-shows in suppot of IBB. [size=16pt]That is what is called assurance. [/size]

OBJ ruled Nigeria for 8 good years assuringly that does not mean atrocities where not commited or how else do we explain the $16 billion dollars spent on the power sector but nothing to show for. But the advantages of his regime outways the dis-advantages, that is assurance.

Stability - With Assurance firmly on the ground comes stability and growth. It does not mean corruption would not happen. Jerry Rawlings was actually the first civilian President of Ghana his role was that of assurance and stabilty. He ruled for 2 terms of 4 years each. What he left behind was not what u see today but the structures he establish are what has made growth possible today in Ghana. Also one can be rest assured that a military coup would be something alien and distance to the Nigeria psche with IBB at the helms of affair. Our democracy is still young and still needs tutelage from experience hands not with what we all woke up to witness when a comatossed Yaradua was brought into town.

@Apologies, but do you ever read what you type before posting? What on earth is assuring about a man people can't even trust (he is called Maradona for a reason). It is not all about using "big words", it helps if you use them correctly.
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by KnowAll(m): 10:26pm On Apr 10, 2010
Apologies, but do you ever read what you type before posting? What on earth is assuring about a man people can't even trust (he is called Maradona for a reason). It is not all about using "big words", it helps if you use them correctly.

I dont get u, what is your point . undecided
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Otobroto(f): 10:28pm On Apr 10, 2010
2011: IBB Rejects Tinubu’s Offer To Run On AC Ticket

OVERTURES by the Action Congress (AC) to present the former military president, General Ibrahim Babangida, as its presidential standard bearer for the 2011 general elections hit the rock last week when the Minna general rejected the offer.

A source in the uphill residence of the former leader told Saturday Tribune on Friday that a five-man team led by the former governor of Lagos State, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, visited General Babangida to offer him the presidential ticket of their party.

According to the source, the AC emissaries told the retired general that the party was prepared to concede the ticket of the party to him for next year’s presidential election, with Tinubu as his running mate.
But the former military leader, who recently said that he would not disclose his ambition until a nationwide consultation with his supporters and other stakeholders was concluded, declined the offer.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/sat/index.php/front-page-articles/830-2011-ibb-rejects-tinubus-offer-to-run-on-ac-ticket.html

General Babangida, it was learnt further, told his guests that as a loyal Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) member, he was not prepared to leave the party, but preferred to actualise his political ambition in the party.

While rejecting the offer, the source, who was at the meeting, said, “General Babangida, in his usual characteristic manner, listened attentively to the offer by the AC, but told them that he would rather remain a floor member of the PDP than to be the presidential candidate of the party.”

The source added that Babangida’s position was based on the recent endorsement of his presidential ambition by some key figures of the PDP, which included the chairman of the party’s Board of Trustees, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, as well as the international support being extended to his presidential ambition.

In another development, a United Kingdom-based pro-democracy group, The Nigeria Project, has concluded plans to immortalise the late first lady, Dr. (Mrs.) Maryam Babangida, at an international lecture to hold in London at the end of the month.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Gunshots Reported In Rivers Government House As Thugs Invade / Afe Babalola Supports Restructuring, Says Obasanjo Is Best President / Why Buhari Must Resign Now – Arewa Youth Leader, Yerima

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.