Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,745 members, 7,802,273 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:49 AM

The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land (19608 Views)

Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination / Origin Of The Osu Caste System? / Let's End The 'Osu' Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by sonya4all(m): 11:22pm On Apr 10, 2010
Hi nlanders,im writing this with my heart bleeding coming 2 know that the osu cast system which we thought had been abolishd in this generation is hitherto traumatising so citizens in the igbo land,i was watching a programme 2day on Tv,a village called eziama in mbaitoli lga in imo state was staged as a point of contact to other villages in the east suffering from these stigmatization,the oppressers are called the diala,i knw we hav alot of igbos in nland,and i want all of u 2 hear this.This village suffers many stimatization in the hands of their neigbours such that they, Dont buy and sell in the same market,inter marry,take the same path,or even take the holy comunion in church 2gether,even in one of their stigmazion,their source of power was cut by the youths of these dialas,in deltan, but it pains me that we are fighting aparthied in south africa not knwing that we have it fully enforced in nigeria,for christ sake this 21st century,if u knw anything about these people let the house hear it.Tnks

1 Like

Re: The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by Travelista(f): 12:40am On Apr 11, 2010
Wait? What is going on in Eziama? Are you saying the village is oppressed by its neighbors or that the people in the village practice the caste system?
Re: The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by ChinenyeN(m): 2:39am On Apr 11, 2010
Here we go. . . . again. . .
Re: The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by sonya4all(m): 8:05am On Apr 11, 2010
Eziama i one of the villages regarded as the osu people,u needed 2 hear the many attrocities the neighbouring villages which call them selves diala perpetrate on these people created by God,i couldnt bear it,even one of the youths pathetically said that they were born into this,imagine not touching an inocent osu infant for fear of contaminating them,are u frm there?
Re: The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by Travelista(f): 12:42pm On Apr 11, 2010
sonya4all:

Eziama i one of the villages regarded as the osu people,u needed 2 hear the many attrocities the neighbouring villages which call them selves diala perpetrate on these people created by God,i couldnt bear it,even one of the youths pathetically said that they were born into this,imagine not touching an inocent osu infant for fear of contaminating them,are u frm there?

I have never heard of Eziama being an outcast village; do you mean that certain people are called outcasts because that I've heard. But the entire village? That's a surprise.
Re: The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by ChinenyeN(m): 3:53pm On Apr 11, 2010
Well, I'm not from Eziama, so I can't comment.
Re: The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by indie22(f): 6:29pm On Apr 11, 2010
I'm from anambra and don't know much about the osu caste thing, the first time I heard about it was when one of my dad's closest friends had a daughter that was dating an "osu" as they called him. He vehemently kicked against the relationship and swore to disown the girl if she went ahead and married the guy. What surprised me tho, is that this man is a staunch christian as well as a deacon in church. I felt it was hypocrisy in its highest form!

2 Likes

Re: The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by 8words(m): 8:58pm On Apr 11, 2010
Travelista:

I have never heard of Eziama being an outcast village; do you mean that certain people are called outcasts because that I've heard. But the entire village? That's a surprise.
Eziama is in Orodo

1 Like

Re: The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by Travelista(f): 9:14pm On Apr 11, 2010
8 words:

Eziama is in Orodo

Oooohhh! I'm a complete muu-muu! I know the Eziama in Ikeduru and this is the one in Mbaitoli! As for Orodo, isn't that the village where the Eze was kidnapped?
Re: The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by sonya4all(m): 11:47pm On Apr 11, 2010
This is aparthied!!,igbos are pegans answering christain names,pathetic!Jesus saved us from all our sins,now the dialas were among the people saved by jesus,if they confess their sins,ok,they draw the point frm the story that during the war,the osus' dedicated themselves to idols for protection,hence they dnt want 2 be contaminated,now tell me if jesus could save mankind(dialas)included,why cant these people forgive these osus and accept n integrate them into their kind,since we are all new creatures and one before God,even their deluded ancestors that started it have died,why can they abolish this,any osu in the house?Lets hear ur experiences

1 Like

Re: The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by 006(m): 4:39am On Apr 12, 2010
sonya4all:

This is aparthied!!,igbos are pegans answering christain names,pathetic!Jesus saved us from all our sins,now the dialas were among the people saved by jesus,if they confess their sins,ok,they draw the point frm the story that during the war,the osus' dedicated themselves to idols for protection,hence they dnt want 2 be contaminated,now tell me if jesus could save mankind(dialas)included,why cant these people forgive these osus and accept n integrate them into their kind,since we are all new creatures and one before God,even their deluded ancestors that started it have died,why can they abolish this,any osu in the house?Lets hear your experiences

It's really very unfortunate. The osu thing is too complex; I know ones parents cannot allow one to marry an osu no matter how religious they are. Once you do, you automatically become an osu and no one wants to be called osu.

1 Like

Re: The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by Abagworo(m): 5:16am On Apr 12, 2010
i'm from imo state and i know orodo near owerri.the documentary is stage managed and cannot therefore be real.the issue of diala,diali,dieli,diani,diana and osu,ume,ohu,oru,agwu dichotomy is widespread but not as alarming as some people are made to think.the osu issue comes to light mainly if marriage is about to occur.no one knows who is an osu until marriage enquiries is made.the reason for refusal to marry osu in present day is not same as in the past.it is purely a family issue.it is a dying tradition and should therefore be left till it finally phases out.
Re: The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by sonya4all(m): 7:24am On Apr 12, 2010
@abagworo,i dnt think u read tru the begining of the post,or did u watch the programme on saturday? Called moments with mo,even my pastor comentd on it on sunday,how can a whole village summon all her people from home and abroad 2 let the public knw what they are suffering,and yet u call it stage managed i knw stage management when i see one,u needed 2 see hou traumaticed there people were especialy their women,and the good thing is that they are very educated,one of elders during the interview,said that no matter how indurtrious an osu man could be, in the world,he will be denied recognitions,like chief taincy titles.Etc,about a year ago their village was invaded by the diala and houses,cars and other valuables were destroyd,nd their elders beaten 2 pulp,the pictures are there,just because an osu was trying 2 claim his right,they even went 2 their transformer and destroyd it,so they will be in blackout,its just that the thing seem 2 hav reduced but it is actively. workin in secret.This is just eziama i knw there are other communities passing tru this,it was only on movies i watchd things like that,but seeing it happen live,is unbearable,we must stand against it and condemn it,i am frm delta state,but i am a nigerian.Tnks

2 Likes

Re: The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by metalgong5(m): 11:06am On Apr 12, 2010
@Poster

Do you know the reason why the forefathers of those people were regarded as OSU?
Re: The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by Abagworo(m): 11:32am On Apr 12, 2010
@sonya4all.i understand you might be one of those who believe whatever lies pastors and mischief makers tell.i am from imo state and know more about it than you do.most igbos care less about that until marriage.there is no village that comprises of osu.osus are usually found in a small family group.it is also true that osu cannot obtain chieftaincy or be crowned eze.not everyone in benin is allowed to be a chief or oba.thesame with yoruba or ijaw.threads or talk shows only re-awakens healing wounds.we should therefore let the osu issue die a natural death.

1 Like

Re: The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by Travelista(f): 1:32pm On Apr 12, 2010
Abagworo:

@sonya4all.i understand you might be one of those who believe whatever lies pastors and mischief makers tell.i am from imo state and know more about it than you do.most igbos care less about that until marriage.there is no village that comprises of osu.osus are usually found in a small family group.it is also true that osu cannot obtain chieftaincy or be crowned eze.not everyone in benin is allowed to be a chief or oba.thesame with yoruba or ijaw.threads or talk shows only re-awakens healing wounds.we should therefore let the osu issue die a natural death.

I just wanted to say the bold's not always true (especially when it pertains to Eziama I in Orodo). My mom is from Imo State (Mbaitoli-Ikeduru LGA to be exact) and it turns out that there's truth to what is being discussed in this thread. The Eze that was kidnapped a few months back is the Eze of Orodo and he made one of these so-called 'outcasts' a traditional leader; this, as you can imagine, has caused a plethora of problems. I never so much as heard the word 'osu' until I was about 16 and I learned quickly it wasn't something was ever said to or about someone; I still don't know what it means or the implications but I do know that my 25 year old cousin got a hot dirty slap for using that word to describe someone.

1 Like

Re: The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by ChinenyeN(m): 2:49pm On Apr 12, 2010
Wouldn't This:
Travelista:

I just wanted to say the bold's not always true (especially when it pertains to Eziama I in Orodo). My mom is from Imo State (Mbaitoli-Ikeduru LGA to be exact) and it turns out that there's truth to what is being discussed in this thread. The Eze that was kidnapped a few months back is the Eze of Orodo and he made one of these so-called 'outcasts' a traditional leader

Confirm This:
Abagworo:

osu cannot obtain chieftaincy or be crowned eze.

??
Re: The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by Travelista(f): 4:16pm On Apr 12, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Wouldn't This:
Confirm This:
??

I'm not sure of what you mean but from my understanding, the 'outcast' was indeed given a title by their Eze.
Re: The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by ChinenyeN(m): 4:59pm On Apr 12, 2010
The people's reaction though, goes to show that it is against the acceptable norm (the acceptable norm being that they don't acquire chieftaincy or ezeship). In essence, you're substantiating Abagworo's post/comment.
Re: The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by Travelista(f): 5:31pm On Apr 12, 2010
ChinenyeN:

The people's reaction though, goes to show that it is against the acceptable norm (the acceptable norm being that they don't acquire chieftaincy or ezeship). In essence, you're substantiating Abagworo's post/comment.

Ah, gotcha! It's funny because after the guy installed the 'outcast' as a traditional leader, the town was in an uproar and he fled back to the US. Sometimes, Nigerians abroad forget that just because they become Westernized, doesn't mean everyone else follows suit.
Re: The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by sonya4all(m): 11:02am On Apr 15, 2010
@abagworo,i am not one of them,face the topic
Re: The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by Guyman02: 8:22am On Apr 18, 2010
The other effect is that Igbos have the highest number of spinsters, the young men wud rather date ladies from other tribes than to be told after investing so much in a lady by his family he cant marry her cos she is Osu.

Osu occupy the highest positions in Federal appointments among Igbos cos they have alligned themselves very well with those in authority from other regions. They dont need Chieftaincy titles when they are holding Ministerial positions and CAN EVEN BUY TITLES FROM MANY ROYAL 'FATHERS' ACCROSS IGBOLAND.

Most of our Igbo religious leaders are bunch of HYPOCRYTES.

1 Like

Re: The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by Guyman02: 8:44am On Apr 18, 2010
This is our best kept secret that is being exposed. Igbos who belong to Pentecostal Church Groups are doing away with the stigma, but the old churches of which I belong to one (Catholic and Anglican) have not done well to eradicate the syndrome.

At the Federal level in Nigeria, Osus are ruling Igboland.

At the village level the Dialas are in control;

Every Igbo person knows this. I can name some of them ruling us.
A regularly appointed Minister who loves bicycles.
A former female Minister of Aviation and now ambassador.
A former Governor who controls a south eastern state with his mother.
A serving Minister in charge of home affairs.
The Osu group control the machinery of PDP and PPA and determines who gets what political appointment in Igboland (I should be proved wrong?)

The only way to eradicate this apartheid stigma is by talking about it just as we are doing and save Igboland from desruction.
That TV documentary by 'Moments with Mo' at Eziama Orodo is real and not stage managed and it was very embarassing to us by exposing our well kept secrets to other Nigerians.
Re: The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by Abagworo(m): 9:16am On Apr 18, 2010
Guyman02:

This is our best kept secret that is being exposed. Igbos who belong to Pentecostal Church Groups are doing away with the stigma, but the old churches of which I belong to one (Catholic and Anglican) have not done well to eradicate the syndrome.

At the Federal level in Nigeria, Osus are ruling Igboland.

At the village level the Dialas are in control;

Every Igbo person knows this. I can name some of them ruling us.
A regularly appointed Minister who loves bicycles.
A former female Minister of Aviation and now ambassador.
A former Governor who controls a south eastern state with his mother.
A serving Minister in charge of home affairs.
The Osu group control the machinery of PDP and PPA and determines who gets what political appointment in Igboland (I should be proved wrong?)

The only way to eradicate this apartheid stigma is by talking about it just as we are doing and save Igboland from desruction.
That TV documentary by 'Moments with Mo' at Eziama Orodo is real and not stage managed and it was very embarassing to us by exposing our well kept secrets to other Nigerians.

i believe you are a small child.all your statements above seem rather childish.calling people names without substantiating your systemic political hypothesis?
Re: The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by Guyman02: 8:28pm On Apr 18, 2010
Abagworo, Iam not one of them but I like facing the truth. Osu will not just die a natural death if we dont talk about it as educated people. I am not childish (Go and ask your father if Iam wrong) these guys got money and influence in Igboland except in some few villages. They buy any chieftaincy title they need from our royal 'Fathers' across Igboland I repeat.

Sometimes its jealousy that leads our relations to keep refering to them as Osu. Some communities in Anambra have been able to come out openly and declare it publicly eradicated by placing traditional curses on anyone who refers to another as Osu in their communities. eg Nnobi etc.

They have been able to allign politically with the Northerners and Westerners at the detriment of collective Igbo goal because they feel rejected by their own people and accepted by others and are rewarded by them on behalf of Igbos.

Do you think Biafra will ever work with this Osu syndrome still existing till now? they will surely sabotage it and would rather remain Nigerians than discrinated Igbo citizens. Think and help Igboland stop this malaise!
Re: The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by ChinenyeN(m): 8:42pm On Apr 18, 2010
Guyman02, you're making me laugh. This Osu issue is not your problem, if you're not from Eziama, Mbaitoli. There's really nothing YOU can do about it. There's really nothing ANYONE can do.
Re: The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by sonya4all(m): 10:23pm On Apr 18, 2010
@abagwro,pls dnt give the impresion that u r a sadist,if u cant contribute positvly 2 the topic,then u go 2 another thread,it not by force 2 coment,we are here 2 discus d issue as nigerians,mind u am not igbo,but am concerned dats was why i creatd the thread,@the last 4 comenters,thanks for all the mind blowing revelations uve made here,i knw that the osus are rich,bt i never knew they had all those conection,truely,there wil be nothing like biafra if this isue is not resolved,i even doubt an igbo president,igbos only relate,when the muslims are killing ibos in the north,pathetic.Wake up ala igbn!
Re: The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by sonya4all(m): 10:24pm On Apr 18, 2010
@abagwro,pls dnt give the impresion that u r a sadist,if u cant contribute positvly 2 the topic,then u go 2 another thread,it not by force 2 coment,we are here 2 discus d issue as nigerians,mind u am not igbo,but am concerned dats was why i creatd the thread,@the last 4 comenters,thanks for all the mind blowing revelations uve made here,i knw that the osus are rich,bt i never knew they had all those conection,truely,there wil be nothing like biafra if this isue is not resolved,i even doubt an igbo president,igbos only relate,when the muslims are killing ibos in the north,pathetic.Wake up ala igbn!
Re: The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by ChinenyeN(m): 11:36pm On Apr 18, 2010
Oh that's right. . . onye Eka. What are you doing with an "Igbo" issue then? This here topic does not concern you. Moreover, you don't want anything to do with the "Igbo". So, leave the "Igbo" and let them handle their own issues. Non-"Igbo" meddling in "Igbo" affairs. Who invited you?

By the way, I don't think the "Igbo" really care much for an "Igbo" president, anyway.

Now, leave this Osu issue to die a proper death, nonsense people with no sense of what Osu is. . . opening your mouth to discuss an issue you know nothing about.

1 Like

Re: The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by sonya4all(m): 12:33am On Apr 19, 2010
@chinenye, THANK YOU
Re: The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by ChinenyeN(m): 12:54am On Apr 19, 2010
Not a problem. Glad I could help put it into perspective for you.
Re: The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land by Guyman02: 10:49am On Apr 19, 2010
Abagworo and ChinenyeN, I think your problems are that you are still living with the same stereotype which our relations passed on to us.
The truth is that our forefathers inadvertently sacrificed the MOST Healthy, Brilliant, Beautiful and Handsome young people to serve the gods in the shrines as Osu (you cant give a deformed item to the gods to avoid their wrath) and thats why if we see a very pretty Igbo woman till today people will always say ' Ah! she must be an Osu, cos Osus are known to have good looks!

If you go to most communities in Igboland the highest percentage of Professors and most educated are from the Osu stock.

WHATEVER I HAVE POSTED HERE CAN BE CONFIRMED FROM ANY TRUTHFUL IGBO PERSON AROUND YOU.

The Pentecostal Churches are the ones realy coming out against the Osu Syndrome by preaching against it and encouraging their members to marry BORN AGAINS irrespective of their status as Diala or Osu.
Our older Churches of which I belong to one as I said earlier are avoiding the issue to avoid generating conflicts between the Church and the community. Dialas sometimes avoid contact with Osu during Holy Communion as the lady in that documentary pointed out and still claim to be true Christians.

We are loosing a lot of our young people to other tribes due to this problem as it maybe devastating to fall in love with a fellow Igbo abroad and come back to your community and your family insist you cant marry cos he or she is Osu.

Igbos still live under the fear of the unknown. The un-initiated adult still staunchly believes that Masqueredes called 'Mmanwu' walking on two legs with a Koboko or cutlass in hand comes from Spritland. ha!
So many areas are without access roads in Igboland today because the people have refused for some Trees to be cut down after Fed Govt have awarded contracts believing that the Trees (Osisi Orji) have very powerful gods residing in them. These projects are then relocated to the North and the people will always cry Marginalisation! Marginalisation!

Osu wont die if we dont discuss it openly and help unite Igboland as one people created and blessed by God. Uncle Sam Mbakwe (If Abagworo wants me to mention names) was regarded as an Osu and he remains the best Governor South East has ever produced.

We have got to change our attitude by totally doing away with this primitive Osu thing or Igboland will continue to remain underdeveloped and divided.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Children Celebrate Cultural Day In Gombe (Photos) / Olubadan, Ooni, Sultan, Emir Sanusi Present As Dangote Bags Doctorate Award / Gberigbe-Ikorodu Community Announces 10-Day ‘Oro’ Curfew

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.