Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,325 members, 7,780,808 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:53 PM

Tobi Ibitoye: Nigerian Singer In Romania' Winning Hearts Of Romanians - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Tobi Ibitoye: Nigerian Singer In Romania' Winning Hearts Of Romanians (25365 Views)

Tiwa Savage: This Is The Most Beautiful Female Singer In Nigeria (Photos) / No Sex Until Marriage: Linda Ikeji Is Wrong For Getting Pregnant - Funto Ibitoye / Tboss Visits Her Family In Romania For Easter (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tobi Ibitoye: Nigerian Singer In Romania' Winning Hearts Of Romanians by BlackDBagba: 10:24am On Jan 12, 2018
Ok
Re: Tobi Ibitoye: Nigerian Singer In Romania' Winning Hearts Of Romanians by Nobody: 10:29am On Jan 12, 2018
Romanians and other parts of eastern Europe can have extremely sexy girls.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tobi Ibitoye: Nigerian Singer In Romania' Winning Hearts Of Romanians by IYANGBALI: 10:29am On Jan 12, 2018
Unlike like Igbos that always go out to disgrace themselves.

1 Like

Re: Tobi Ibitoye: Nigerian Singer In Romania' Winning Hearts Of Romanians by thunderbabs: 10:32am On Jan 12, 2018
AdolfHitlerxXx:
Let us showcase positives about Nigeria. It doesn't always have to be negative news

Let us work hand in hand to make Nigeria a better place.

America was not built in a day, their citizens went through dark periods, they didn't flee.

They stood and fought to make things better and never stopped believing in themselves

You hear Americans say "God bless America!" while our folks say "No be Nigeria? Na scam"

India is the rape and defecation capital in the world, but you would never see it in the Bollywood movies

Let us change our mentality and try to individually do the "right thing"

Really, so an Adolf Hitler can talk sense like this? I'm impressed.

You must be a born again Adolf hitler, ryt?
Re: Tobi Ibitoye: Nigerian Singer In Romania' Winning Hearts Of Romanians by DLuciano: 10:36am On Jan 12, 2018
AdolfHitlerxXx:
Let us showcase positives about Nigeria. It doesn't always have to be negative news

America was not built in a day, their citizens went through dark periods, they didn't flee.

They stood and fought to make things better and never stopped believing in themselves

You hear Americans say "God bless America!" while our folks say "No be Nigeria? Na scam"

India is the rape and defecation capital in the world, but you would never see it in the Bollywood movies

Wise and patriotic thoughts, please send it to Buhari to include this piece next time he makes a national broadcast, because his speeches are always dry.
Re: Tobi Ibitoye: Nigerian Singer In Romania' Winning Hearts Of Romanians by Nobody: 10:39am On Jan 12, 2018
AdolfHitlerxXx:

Aye mayne,you hugging the weed.puff puff pass my nigga...damn
Re: Tobi Ibitoye: Nigerian Singer In Romania' Winning Hearts Of Romanians by Bluffly: 10:43am On Jan 12, 2018
The Truth. Everyone celebrates and identify with ingenuity, talent, and achievements. FACT!!!
Hence the only way Africans and maybe starting from Nigeria can change the world is to start bringing world class achievements to the table, rely on themselves for Super Artificial intelligence, Industrial growth, Infrastructural development, quality living, World class Education, and thirst of eradicating iliteracy at all levels in all ramifications.

My Sincere bits

2 Likes

Re: Tobi Ibitoye: Nigerian Singer In Romania' Winning Hearts Of Romanians by Axiwaju(m): 10:48am On Jan 12, 2018
AdolfHitlerxXx:

U Made Sense\but Ur name And Signature Z ScarWYY
Re: Tobi Ibitoye: Nigerian Singer In Romania' Winning Hearts Of Romanians by Harwoyeez(m): 10:48am On Jan 12, 2018
music is spiritual, u don't joke with it grin
Re: Tobi Ibitoye: Nigerian Singer In Romania' Winning Hearts Of Romanians by wiringdpt(m): 10:50am On Jan 12, 2018
I doubt this will happen, we have been divided by tribe and religion. The hate is too much
AdolfHitlerxXx:

Re: Tobi Ibitoye: Nigerian Singer In Romania' Winning Hearts Of Romanians by classicalbenson(m): 10:57am On Jan 12, 2018
his got himself some Romanian pussy
Re: Tobi Ibitoye: Nigerian Singer In Romania' Winning Hearts Of Romanians by doyinbaby(f): 11:13am On Jan 12, 2018
IYANGBALI:
hater
Re: Tobi Ibitoye: Nigerian Singer In Romania' Winning Hearts Of Romanians by sayisayi(m): 11:19am On Jan 12, 2018
IYANGBALI:

Bros...I can tell that you have never left your compound since school. Because you write with the ignorance of a village champion. I will be damned that you will have this view if you have travelled and seen the world in technicolour.

Please post the stamps on your passport, abeg? I will do likewise. Waiting....

If you do not reply, I understand and do not judge you. Poverty is a bastard.
Re: Tobi Ibitoye: Nigerian Singer In Romania' Winning Hearts Of Romanians by IYANGBALI: 11:51am On Jan 12, 2018
sayisayi:

Bros...I can tell that you have never left your compound since school. Because you write with the ignorance of a village champion. I will be damned that you will have this view if you have travelled and seen the world in technicolour.

Please post the stamps on your passport, abeg? I will do likewise. Waiting....

If you do not reply, I understand and do not judge you. Poverty is a bastard.
oh look who is talking,so your travelling out of the country is an achievement? So you expect me to respond to your childish request of displaying the countries I have been?that shows how myopic you are,anyways Mr traveller anf developer of the world, you can go now,I have noticed you grin grin tongue
Re: Tobi Ibitoye: Nigerian Singer In Romania' Winning Hearts Of Romanians by SoNature(m): 11:53am On Jan 12, 2018
AdolfHitlerxXx:

They stood, fought to make things better and never stopped believing in themselves

India is the Rape and Open Defecation capital of the world, but you would never see it in the Bollywood movies

Bros, you have a long way to go with that mentality. Those places you mentioned worked because they have regards for themselves irrespective of their tribes, political affiliations and religions. Take it or leave it, Nigeria is a failed state.
Re: Tobi Ibitoye: Nigerian Singer In Romania' Winning Hearts Of Romanians by IYANGBALI: 11:53am On Jan 12, 2018
doyinbaby:
hater
Doyin ma je ki nbegi fun e o tongue tongue
Re: Tobi Ibitoye: Nigerian Singer In Romania' Winning Hearts Of Romanians by golddust6000(m): 12:19pm On Jan 12, 2018
sacluxisback:
Romanians and other parts of eastern Europe can have extremely sexy girls.
please describe sexy girls?
Re: Tobi Ibitoye: Nigerian Singer In Romania' Winning Hearts Of Romanians by YINKS89(m): 12:39pm On Jan 12, 2018
charliboy654:

Na Kenya girl not ghana.
anyone all join.
Re: Tobi Ibitoye: Nigerian Singer In Romania' Winning Hearts Of Romanians by sayisayi(m): 1:05pm On Jan 12, 2018
IYANGBALI:
oh look who is talking,so your travelling out of the country is an achievement? So you expect me to respond to your childish request of displaying the countries I have been?that shows how myopic you are,anyways Mr traveller anf developer of the world, you can go now,I have noticed you grin grin tongue

Epistleology.... grin grin

I knew it...no passport sef!
Re: Tobi Ibitoye: Nigerian Singer In Romania' Winning Hearts Of Romanians by Estiara(f): 1:06pm On Jan 12, 2018
Why do you say France is depressing?

Mille:
Romania, the best European country.

I hold that country dear, as well as the City of Cluj-Napoca. Spent a good 5 months of my life there before moving to the depressing France and Germany.
Re: Tobi Ibitoye: Nigerian Singer In Romania' Winning Hearts Of Romanians by IYANGBALI: 1:42pm On Jan 12, 2018
sayisayi:

Epistleology.... grin grin

I knew it...no passport sef!

Re: Tobi Ibitoye: Nigerian Singer In Romania' Winning Hearts Of Romanians by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jan 12, 2018
golddust6000:
please describe sexy girls?

Fine oyibo wey get bress and yansh
Re: Tobi Ibitoye: Nigerian Singer In Romania' Winning Hearts Of Romanians by golddust6000(m): 2:27pm On Jan 12, 2018
sacluxisback:

Fine oyibo wey get bress and yansh
hmm, all onyinbo wey i know get breast and nyash o. Abi u don see d one wey no get breast and nyash?
Re: Tobi Ibitoye: Nigerian Singer In Romania' Winning Hearts Of Romanians by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jan 12, 2018
golddust6000:
hmm, all onyinbo wey i know get breast and nyash o. Abi u don see d one wey no get breast and nyash?

I dont mean flat i mean African booty standard
Re: Tobi Ibitoye: Nigerian Singer In Romania' Winning Hearts Of Romanians by wealthtrak: 2:23pm On Jun 14, 2021
AdolfHitlerxXx:
Before Tobi Ibitoye arrived in Romania from Nigeria as a 15-year-old, it had never occurred to him he - and his skin colour - might stand out in some way.

A few days in Bucharest were all it took to make him realise just how wrong he was.

"It can be very unnerving to have people stare at you like some spectacle," Ibitoye told the BBC.

All eyes on me

"I had never heard of Romania prior, but read about the country when we got news of my dad's posting".

Eight years later, things could not be more different: backed by scores of Romanian fans, the musician has just signed his first record deal.

Now the stares are from people trying to work out if he really is the Tobi Ibitoye who shot to fame, coming third on The Voice of Romania talent show in 2015.

Singer Tobi Ibitoye went from being the odd black teenager everybody stared at to a pop star

Nothing had prepared Ibitoye for what he encountered when he arrived in 2009. His father had just got a job with the Nigerian embassy, and the entire family relocated.

But Romania only has a very small African community, as most of those leaving the continent tend to head to Western European countries - generally to those with a colonial link.

It is estimated that over 90% of Nigerians living in Romania are university students, many of whom have come to study medicine, computer engineering or maritime engineering.

So, an older generation of Romanians is not used to the concept of diversity, according to Ana Craciun, of Equality Community Development Association, a campaign group based in the second-largest city, Iasi.

"They are attached to the strong Romanian traditions and want things to be as they were," she said.

At first, Ibitoye had to get used to being visibly different.

"If you walk the streets of Iasi or any other small city in Romania as a black person, you are bound to get a stare. It ranges from curiosity to astonishment, depending on how you react," he said.

Is Romania changing?

But the generation who grew up after the Communist Party was toppled in 1989 lives in an internet age and as part of the European Union, so attitudes are becoming more tolerant, analysts say.

Ibitoye's success is not an isolated case, as another Nigerian went a step further last month by coming second place at the Voice of Romania.

Attitudes are changing but less so in rural communities

Meriam Jane Nduibusi went to Romania from Italy, where she lives, with the sole purpose of getting on the show.

She shared her experience in what she described as an incredible journey.

"People cross the road to meet me, they would hug me and tell me they love me," she told the BBC.

Although she did not win, Nduibusi said she received a lot of love from the Romanian public, with people walking across to her in public and saying: "We want you to win."

Mayaya, who is partly of Congolese descent, then found more success when she got a part in a Romanian TV show, which at the time was unprecedented.

'It's not racism'

But does Ibitoye think people were voting for him precisely because he was different - the "token black guy" syndrome - or because of his talent?

"I would say a bit of both; it's interwoven and not mutually exclusive.

"I was just riding the wave of support because it was overwhelming and the more I progressed, the more I realised that what I actually deemed as a hobby was actually a talent and I think they saw that too."

Most Nigerians in Romania are students

Cosmin Vieriu, a Romanian who lives in Bucharest and works for the UN's cultural organisation Unesco, says attitudes are changing, but not so much in rural communities.

"It's not racism, but people don't have much contact with the outsiders. They're like families in these communities, so they're closed."

But not everyone agrees that Romania is opening up, or becoming more diverse as the stories of thriving Nigerians seem to suggest.

"The biggest diversity is represented only by Hungarians and Roma communities. Anything else is really low," says Andreaa Tudorache of Attitude Reality Transformation, a Bucharest-based group.

She says the experiences of a few Nigerians does not necessarily reflect Romanian society at large.

But if Ibitoye is to be believed, it might not be too long before you find Jollof rice and pounded yam on sale alongside the more traditional tripe soup and cabbage rolls on the streets of Bucharest.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-42439405
Romania is Ifedayo "Daddy Freeze" Olarinde's maternal country.

(1) (2) (Reply)

IK Ogbonna Shuns Wife’s Birthday As She Deletes Her Birthday Post To Him / Victor AD Denies Writing ‘Jowo’ For Davido / Ini Edo And Amber Rose At Miss Earth Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.