Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,944 members, 7,806,727 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:00 PM

Are You A ''shitholer'' In America? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Are You A ''shitholer'' In America? (835 Views)

Trump Ends Obama’s 12-year Run As ‘most-admired Man In America. / "Brown People" another ethnic group in America / America Belongs to Jesus.No Same Sex Marriage in America:Donald Trump. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You A ''shitholer'' In America? by spectroscopic: 11:25pm On Jan 12, 2018
As reproduced from a friend's Facebook page

Are you a ''shitholer'' in America? I am 100% not. America is the greatest, most unique, and most opportunity-laden country in the world. How do I know that? I know because I have lived in Africa and Europe, and I have travelled to Canada, Asia and South America repeatedly. I am glad to be part of the American story and I am grateful for that. At the same time, I believe without a doubt that I have paid my dues in America since arriving the country nearly 10 years ago. I do not know about you, but I am originally an immigrant from Nigeria, a country with the following (below) statistics in the USA: Please visit the links and read the entire articles, for as they say in Nigeria, ignorance is a disease.

''Nigerian immigrants have the highest levels of education in America, surpassing whites and Asians, according to Census data bolstered by an analysis of 13 annual Houston-area surveys conducted by Rice University.''

''Although they make up a tiny portion of the U.S. population, a whopping 17 percent of all Nigerians in this country held master's degrees while 4 percent had a doctorate, according to the 2006 American Community Survey conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau. In addition, 37 percent had bachelor's degrees.''

Details
http://www.chron.com/…/Data-show-Nigerians-the-most-educate…

''According to 2006 census data, 37 percent of Nigerians in the U.S. had bachelor's degrees, 17 percent held master's degrees and 4 percent had doctorates. In contrast, the same census data showed only 19 percent of white Americans had bachelor’s degrees, 8 percent held master’s degrees and only 1 percent held doctorates, the paper reports.''

Details
https://www.bet.com/…/survey-nigerians-most-educated-in-the…

''......Perhaps most surprising is that, by many measures, the most-educated immigrant group in the U.S. isn't East Asians. It’s Africans.''

''According to Census data, more than 43 percent of African immigrants hold a bachelor’s degree or higher -- slightly more than immigrants from East Asia. Nigerian immigrants are especially educated, with almost two-thirds holding college degrees -- a significantly higher percentage even than Chinese or South Korean immigrants. African immigrants are also very likely to hold advanced degrees, many of which are earned at U.S. universities. By many measures, African immigrants are as far ahead of American whites in the educational achievement as whites are ahead of African-Americans.''

''That education translates into higher household income. Nigerian-Americans, for instance, have a median household income well above the American average, and above the average of many white and Asian groups, such as those of Dutch or Korean descent.''

https://www.bloomberg.com/…/it-isn-t-just-asian-immigrants-…

'There are some black and Hispanic groups in America that far outperform some white and Asian groups. Immigrants from many West Indian and African countries, such as Jamaica, Ghana, and Haiti, are climbing America’s higher education ladder, but perhaps the most prominent are Nigerians. Nigerians make up less than 1 percent of the black population in the United States, yet in 2013 nearly one-quarter of the black students at Harvard Business School were of Nigerian ancestry; over a fourth of Nigerian-Americans have a graduate or professional degree, as compared with only about 11 percent of whites.'

https://www.nytimes.com/…/o…/sunday/what-drives-success.html

And wait for this, it's not just Nigeria but many other African countries as well; it's also not just collage/graduate-level contribution. Nigerians, %wise, also represent well at the high school level. See below.

''Of the African-born population in the US age 25 and older, 87.9% reported having a high school degree or higher,[27] compared with 78.8% of Asian-born immigrants and 76.8% of European-born immigrants, respectively.[28] Africans from Kenya (90.8 percent), Nigeria (89.1 percent), Ghana (85.9 percent), Botswana (84.7 percent), and Malawi (83 percent) were the most likely to report having a high school degree or higher.''
https://en.wikipedia.org/…/African_immigration_to_the_Unite…
Re: Are You A ''shitholer'' In America? by ashjay001(m): 11:49pm On Jan 12, 2018
U try op. But, some of my brothers, are on their way to claim a higher percent of d educated nigerian folks, u just mentionedgringrin

I just dont know how d americans are gonna get trump to stfu! That guy's running mouth, is gonna land them in deeeeeeeepsh..............t
Re: Are You A ''shitholer'' In America? by lagdmark(m): 11:57pm On Jan 12, 2018
Trump disgracing America since ages
Re: Are You A ''shitholer'' In America? by MIKOLOWISKA: 12:12am On Jan 13, 2018
spectroscopic:
As reproduced from a friend's Facebook page

Are you a ''shitholer'' in America? I am 100% not. America is the greatest, most unique, and most opportunity-laden country in the world. How do I know that? I know because I have lived in Africa and Europe, and I have travelled to Canada, Asia and South America repeatedly. I am glad to be part of the American story and I am grateful for that. At the same time, I believe without a doubt that I have paid my dues in America since arriving the country nearly 10 years ago. I do not know about you, but I am originally an immigrant from Nigeria, a country with the following (below) statistics in the USA: Please visit the links and read the entire articles, for as they say in Nigeria, ignorance is a disease.

''Nigerian immigrants have the highest levels of education in America, surpassing whites and Asians, according to Census data bolstered by an analysis of 13 annual Houston-area surveys conducted by Rice University.''

''Although they make up a tiny portion of the U.S. population, a whopping 17 percent of all Nigerians in this country held master's degrees while 4 percent had a doctorate, according to the 2006 American Community Survey conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau. In addition, 37 percent had bachelor's degrees.''

Details
http://www.chron.com/…/Data-show-Nigerians-the-most-educate…

''According to 2006 census data, 37 percent of Nigerians in the U.S. had bachelor's degrees, 17 percent held master's degrees and 4 percent had doctorates. In contrast, the same census data showed only 19 percent of white Americans had bachelor’s degrees, 8 percent held master’s degrees and only 1 percent held doctorates, the paper reports.''

Details
https://www.bet.com/…/survey-nigerians-most-educated-in-the…

''......Perhaps most surprising is that, by many measures, the most-educated immigrant group in the U.S. isn't East Asians. It’s Africans.''

''According to Census data, more than 43 percent of African immigrants hold a bachelor’s degree or higher -- slightly more than immigrants from East Asia. Nigerian immigrants are especially educated, with almost two-thirds holding college degrees -- a significantly higher percentage even than Chinese or South Korean immigrants. African immigrants are also very likely to hold advanced degrees, many of which are earned at U.S. universities. By many measures, African immigrants are as far ahead of American whites in the educational achievement as whites are ahead of African-Americans.''

''That education translates into higher household income. Nigerian-Americans, for instance, have a median household income well above the American average, and above the average of many white and Asian groups, such as those of Dutch or Korean descent.''

https://www.bloomberg.com/…/it-isn-t-just-asian-immigrants-…

'There are some black and Hispanic groups in America that far outperform some white and Asian groups. Immigrants from many West Indian and African countries, such as Jamaica, Ghana, and Haiti, are climbing America’s higher education ladder, but perhaps the most prominent are Nigerians. Nigerians make up less than 1 percent of the black population in the United States, yet in 2013 nearly one-quarter of the black students at Harvard Business School were of Nigerian ancestry; over a fourth of Nigerian-Americans have a graduate or professional degree, as compared with only about 11 percent of whites.'

https://www.nytimes.com/…/o…/sunday/what-drives-success.html

And wait for this, it's not just Nigeria but many other African countries as well; it's also not just collage/graduate-level contribution. Nigerians, %wise, also represent well at the high school level. See below.

''Of the African-born population in the US age 25 and older, 87.9% reported having a high school degree or higher,[27] compared with 78.8% of Asian-born immigrants and 76.8% of European-born immigrants, respectively.[28] Africans from Kenya (90.8 percent), Nigeria (89.1 percent), Ghana (85.9 percent), Botswana (84.7 percent), and Malawi (83 percent) were the most likely to report having a high school degree or higher.''
https://en.wikipedia.org/…/African_immigration_to_the_Unite…
what's your point
Is Nigeria not a shithole country

All these degrees and yet the nation has basically failed
Re: Are You A ''shitholer'' In America? by spectroscopic: 12:16am On Jan 13, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:
what's your point
Is Nigeria not a shithole country

All these degrees and yet the nation has basically failed

These degree holders are Nigerians in America, not Nigerians in Nigeria. Nigerians in Nigeria should fix their country for they live there and enjoy there. They can start with their votes at the local, state and federal elections. It is not the responsibility of Nigerians in America (who already send back billions to Nigeria) to fix Nigeria. Is that clear to you?
Re: Are You A ''shitholer'' In America? by MIKOLOWISKA: 12:22am On Jan 13, 2018
spectroscopic:

These degree holders are Nigerians in America, not Nigerians in Nigeria. Nigerians in Nigeria should fix their country for they live there and enjoy there. They can start with their votes at the local, state and federal elections. It is not the responsibility of Nigerians in America (who already send back billions to Nigeria) to fix Nigeria. Is that clear to you?

Nigerians in America used to be Nigerians in Nigeria so they can never fix Nigeria so long as they think America is the way Out
Trump referred to the countries not the ppl
Re: Are You A ''shitholer'' In America? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 12:22am On Jan 13, 2018
See what trump has caused that man needs a padlock to lock his mouth.
Re: Are You A ''shitholer'' In America? by spectroscopic: 12:30am On Jan 13, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:

Nigerians in America used to be Nigerians in Nigeria so they can never fix Nigeria so long as they think America is the way Out
Trump referred to the countries not the ppl

Not sure what you are arguing. What is a country without its people?

1 Like

Re: Are You A ''shitholer'' In America? by MIKOLOWISKA: 12:42am On Jan 13, 2018
spectroscopic:

Not sure what you are arguing. What is a country without its people?
You're the one arguing that Nigerian Americans are different from Nigerian Nigerians
Re: Are You A ''shitholer'' In America? by spectroscopic: 1:09am On Jan 13, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:

You're the one arguing that Nigerian Americans are different from Nigerian Nigerians

Are they not? Can a Nigerian living in the US vote? Can they be presidents and governors?
Re: Are You A ''shitholer'' In America? by MIKOLOWISKA: 1:16am On Jan 13, 2018
spectroscopic:

Are they not? Can a Nigerian living in the US vote? Can they be presidents and governors?
can they invest in increased productivity tools for home based nigerians.
can the contribute to candidates?can they time their visits home to vote? can they embarrass our leaders who travel abroad to enjoy their loot?
this is why the president called our country a shithole and guilty conscience is making you confirm the citizens make it happen.He's scared we will bring such docility and indolence to his country

(1) (Reply)

- / Pray For Australia: Australia Is On Fire. PHOTOS / US Foreign Policy: Why I Want Trump To Win.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.