Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,317 members, 7,808,069 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:34 AM

Turn The Other Cheek Means Surrender - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Turn The Other Cheek Means Surrender (549 Views)

Pastor Adeboye: We Will Not Retreat, We Will Not Surrender, We Will Laugh Last / The Lords Chosen: Ex Cult Member, Robber, Drug Addict, Surrender To Jesus / Muslim Imams & Traditionalists Surrender Their Lives To Christ In Abuja(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Turn The Other Cheek Means Surrender by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jan 13, 2018
“You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’[a] But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well."

I am trying to understand a bit deeper what Jesus meant by the following key statements ;
- Do not resist an evil person
- If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.
- And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well.

These statements are powerful messages that can either break or make a society. Indeed if a society were to imbibe his advice, they would lose their identity, culture and even their land because they will not protect their own. They will easily and readily allow an evil government perpetuate evil against its citizens, they will not protect their wives and daughters, they will turn a blind eye while wicked people run rampant.

Surely Jesus could not have made these statements, and I take Gods word over that of Jesus any day and anytime because Jesus was not God. God allows people to defend themselves from injustice, oppression, and evil.

I am beginning to think that these were political messages meant to assuage the Jews from their endless ploys to overthrow the Roman government in Jerusalem and its environs, but also to spread a message amongst one's enemies that will make them susceptible to colonialism, slavery, and passivity in the face of gross oppression. This was a message meant to turn warriors into pussycats, timid, passive and STUPID.

This is why in Africa, you can abuse the citizens and oppress them to oblivion and they will say things like ;
- Gods time is the best
- God dey
- God will help
- God saved me
- etc

Imagine scenarios in which the Christians of the North vigorously defend themselves from the onslaught of the Fulani herdsmen and Boko Haram, Nigerians resist an evil government, not through violence but by mass action such as national strikes, collaborative shut down of the government, peaceful demonstrations, Nigerians stand up against their corrupt representatives and governors and even deselect them from further reelection. Imagine if Nigerians are allowed to own guns and defend themselves against attacks from kidnappers and armed robbers.

If we keep turning the other cheek and let our enemies keep slapping us, there will be no more 'face' to slap, just stupidity left.

Lastly, if an evil person asks me for my shirt, I will give him a dirty slap assuming he is not armed, if he is armed, I will give it to him but find out where he lives, go and take it back and make sure he receives a sound beating. nothing wrong with that.

Your thoughts !!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Turn The Other Cheek Means Surrender by CuteMadridista: 2:19pm On Jan 13, 2018
Dalaman likes talking about this, Jebus is such a weird character
Re: Turn The Other Cheek Means Surrender by dalaman: 2:22pm On Jan 13, 2018
Christians know that Jesus thought idiotic pasificm and all of them NEVER practice it because they know that it is not only idiotic but impossible.
Re: Turn The Other Cheek Means Surrender by CandidSeeker(m): 5:42pm On Jan 13, 2018
I'm of the opinion that some parts of the scriptures were manipulated for the political and economic gains of the Europeans.

Especially the gospels & epistles.
Re: Turn The Other Cheek Means Surrender by dalaman: 5:56pm On Jan 13, 2018
CandidSeeker:
I'm of the opinion that some parts of the scriptures were manipulated for the political and economic gains of the Europeans.

The Romans (Europeans ) brought the gospels and epistles to the world.
Re: Turn The Other Cheek Means Surrender by OkCornel(m): 7:10pm On Jan 13, 2018
It depends on who slaps the cheek...

If the Devil (or his agent) slaps you on one cheek what will you do?

As for me...I'll reply in a way you can use bazooka to kill a mosquito instead of insecticide or a simple slap...

Please let's understand the word of God in the right perspective. There are many intepretations and perspectives...but we have to stick to the right one.

Excess knowledge with little understanding leads to confusion, delusion and insanity
Re: Turn The Other Cheek Means Surrender by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jan 13, 2018
CandidSeeker:

Absolutely correct!

Funny thing is that the same people who gave us the bible are the same people who went about conquering and overcoming other nations in the name of their God calling other people savages and brutes.

We have been scammed.

1 Like

Re: Turn The Other Cheek Means Surrender by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jan 13, 2018
OkCornel:
It depends on who slaps the cheek...

If the Devil (or his agent) slaps you on one cheek what will you do?

Does the devil slap people? Most problems caused today are by wicked men and women not the devil.

1 Like

Re: Turn The Other Cheek Means Surrender by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jan 13, 2018
dalaman:
Christians know that Jesus thought idiotic pasificm and all of them NEVER practice it because they know that it is not only idiotic but impossible.

Most so called 'Christian' nations don't practice it!
Re: Turn The Other Cheek Means Surrender by OkCornel(m): 7:17pm On Jan 13, 2018
frosbel2:

Does the devil slap people? Most problems caused today are by wicked men and women not the devil.

And who uses the wicked people? God?

There are more diplomatic, effective and technical ways of retaliating such that the person whom the Devil used to slap you would feel sorry for their guilt on the spot!

It's not by thinking if you turn the other cheek and looking like a meek lamb...

If I slap you and go ahead to slap your loved ones one by one...are you telling me you'll turn the other cheek for me? both literally and figuratively? Are you saying you won't restrain me or fight back?

Please let's understand the word of God in the right perspective. There are many intepretations and perspectives...but we have to stick to the right one.

Excess knowledge with little understanding leads to confusion, delusion and insanity

(I'm not saying this to mock or despise you...I'm just being honest here. No insults/offence intended. Cheers)
Re: Turn The Other Cheek Means Surrender by Nobody: 7:02am On Jan 17, 2018
^^

Is the Devil real?
Re: Turn The Other Cheek Means Surrender by Nobody: 7:18am On Jan 17, 2018
"a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace" - Ecclesiastes 3:8

(1) (Reply)

Open Heavens Daily Devotional 07/02/18 / Women In Hijab Dancing ‘shaku Shaku’ Offensive To Islam, MURIC Tells Falz / Register Now For The Healing School August Session In Lagos, With Pastor Chris

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.