Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,136 members, 7,780,045 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:56 AM

TOP 10 Rules Of Childhood Nigerian Street Football - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / TOP 10 Rules Of Childhood Nigerian Street Football (823 Views)

Rules Of Football When We Were Kids / Godswill Uche 'Bala': Kelechi Iheanacho, My Childhood Friend Who Forgot Me / Samuel Chukwueze Trains With DFA, His Childhood Club (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

TOP 10 Rules Of Childhood Nigerian Street Football by Emmylyon(m): 3:22pm On Jan 13, 2018
With an exception of those who were lucky enough to attend some football academies, the rest who mainly played in Street Football or hired some playing grounds on special occasions (for free), Rules of Football back then where crazy. Scroll down, and add some memories if you recall them.

10. The Fat Kid Is Always The No. 5 Or Keeper 

I can recall this one. Fat kids were considered to be stronger (best choice for defense), less quick (bad choice for attacking), and fat enough to fill the goal (best choice for keeper). Due to the concepts, even forwards feared fat kids on their way to score goals.

9. The Ball Owner Selects Players To Play

Let’s make this clear; the ball owner was the KING on the pitch, as there could be like only two balls in the whole village. If you had some differences with the owner of the ball, no claims, you would never play. To play, you would go be friends with another ball owner in the same or other village.

8. The Ball Owner Can End The Match At Anytime

As the ball owner was the king, no one was allowed to trick him or make tackles with him; anytime, anyhow, he would pick up his ball and go home; and that would be the end. To make this clean; if he shouted for the ball and you refused to assist him with a pass, he had rights to send you off-pitch.

7. The Best Players Are Always Selected First

Before any game starts, the transfer window was to be open. Breaking a record transfer fee was to be selected first. However, even if you were a Ronaldinho back then, and had issues with the ball owner, the transfer window was closed for you.

6. You Were Allowed To Change Goal Keeper

There were some multi-talented players; players who were best on each and every position. So you would be a forward, but asked to be a temporary goal keeper in case there is a penalty; and then come back to your position; Crazy!!

5. If You Played Heavy Shots The Ball Owner Would Warn You

The ball owner was keen on his cherished ball; everyone was supposed to be careful with how and where he directs the ball. Heavy shots would attain a nail or thorn, and hence break the ball. So the ball owner had to warn anyone who tries long range goals or any heavy shot.

4. You Can’t Substitute The Owner Of The Ball

The owner of the ball was the captain, the manager, the boss, the referee, and the FIFA ambassador on the pitch. You couldn’t send him off-pitch, unless you guys had another ball. You send him out; he takes the ball and leaves; end of the game, end of the tournament; as he may never want to come back.

3. You Will Always Go And Call The Owner Of The Ball At His House

There were no texting, inboxing, DMing, nor phone calling. You need to play, you go find the ball owner. Now if he is sleeping, or eating, or just busy, you wait until he comes. If he doesn’t feel like coming, and he doesn’t trust you enough to lend you the ball, even if it maybe an organized game, there is no game that day; no discussion.

2. Ball Owner Always Picks His Player First

As the transfer window opens, and best players are picked first, the ball must take the best, or else, there is no game. In this transfer window, there is no consent of the player, the ball owner wants you, you go; you have no choice, he does.

1. Ball Owner Can Substitute Himself Into The Winning Team

The ball owner must win every match, and the league, if he wants to. If his team is losing, chances are, he substitutes himself into the winning team; and you have no say; or else, he closes the game.

You can still add yours

cc lalasticlala
Re: TOP 10 Rules Of Childhood Nigerian Street Football by MichaelBukamzy(m): 3:26pm On Jan 13, 2018
11.three coners makes one penarity[color=#006600][/color] grin

1 Like

Re: TOP 10 Rules Of Childhood Nigerian Street Football by Kirgyakos(m): 5:30pm On Jan 13, 2018
1. Break and pay: Before the game starts, you are usually warned to beware of how you shoot else if the ball happens to break and you are the cause..brother just prepare to buy a new football.
2. High clearance: If you are able to shoot the football very high into the sky everybody would consider you a very good defender.
3. No rough: If you are always fund of rough plays and happen to be around. You hear stuffs like "no ruff oh!", no jam bodi o! Etc.

Abeg una kwantinue jareh i'm outta here.
Re: TOP 10 Rules Of Childhood Nigerian Street Football by Kirgyakos(m): 5:32pm On Jan 13, 2018
MichaelBukamzy:
11.three coners makes one penarity[color=#006600][/color] grin
yah! I remember this wan
Re: TOP 10 Rules Of Childhood Nigerian Street Football by isan(m): 5:38pm On Jan 13, 2018
In those days I'm the best player in my Street so I
get selected no matter what even when i came last causing others to grumble but the ball owner has the final say
Re: TOP 10 Rules Of Childhood Nigerian Street Football by isan(m): 5:40pm On Jan 13, 2018
Any hand ball is a penalty ...the first set is 2 the second set is 1

(1) (Reply)

Livescores: Plateau United Vs Rivers United / Bet9ja Sure Prediction / Sure 4 Odds Don't Miss This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.