Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,385 members, 7,808,363 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:56 AM

How To Write Your Name Officially - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Write Your Name Officially (55487 Views)

Npower Physical Verification Starts Officially On Tuesday 14th June To Saturday / Npower (nasims.gov.ng) Portal Has Officially Closed to record updating / Is GNLD/NEOLIFE Officially A Scam? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by Rekyz(m): 9:03am On Jan 15, 2018
Educative
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by BrizzyA(m): 9:04am On Jan 15, 2018
Hello my name is Mr. Bond...James Bond wink

Take a cue
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by pedrilo: 9:12am On Jan 15, 2018
profstar:

The confusion starts during primary and secondary schools where for attendance sake and uniformity, surname has to come first, which was kind of understandable however, it became a problem when the students who have gotten used to being called by surname-firstname arrangement, now see it as a norm
a lot of things are not okay with the foundation of educational and learning in Nigeria. I speak as an educationist and my wish is to right as many wrongs as possible b4 my exit.
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by amadiwati(m): 10:05am On Jan 15, 2018
heykims:
Informative But you are identified by your surname at your place of work. Dr Surname H.A.
Dr. is not your name. it is a title. maybe the person who created the thread will educate us on it later
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by dustar: 10:18am On Jan 15, 2018
AnonyNymous:
I tell people this a lot but they don't listen. Even after giving examples. You don't hear them saying Obama Barack or Trump Donald. Or even Buhari Muhammad. But then. . .someone will be arguing with me that its surname first. I wonder how this 'practice' originated in Nigeria sef. I always go the extra mile to make sure I get my surname written in all caps- or a comma placed before my name (or both).
Y u de show ursef ��
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by zadokokezie(m): 10:18am On Jan 15, 2018
Pls am not understanding this.
the name given 2 me by my father is Peter.
while the name I got from my father is Smith. so how will I write d name..
and what is d difference BTW surname, first name and father's name
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by prestige2013: 11:25am On Jan 15, 2018
deepwater:
DEEPWATER North Sea
Deepwater, North Sea
DEEPWATER NORTH SEA
North Sea Deepwater
N. S Deepwater (Capt.)

1 is Correct 2 is Correct 5 is Correct
Explain 3 and 4. thanks
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by prestige2013: 11:26am On Jan 15, 2018
zadokokezie:

Your Surname is ur Last name and
Your Name is ur First name.

Smith, Peter
SMITH Peter
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by prestige2013: 11:35am On Jan 15, 2018
BrizzyA:
Hello my name is Mr. Bond...James Bond wink

Take a cue

Take note, its Mr not Mr., there is no need putting (.) after the abbreviation since the abbreviation ends with same letter as the word itself.

Mr - Mister not Mr.
Dr - Doctor not Dr.
Engr - Engineer not Engr.

Add this to today's lesson.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by goodheart02(m): 11:45am On Jan 15, 2018
heykims:
Informative But you are identified by your surname at your place of work. Dr Surname H.A.

Did you read the write up properly??
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by samwobi(m): 11:59am On Jan 15, 2018
I'm guilty of this mistake. Thanks.
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by Omoluabi16(m): 12:02pm On Jan 15, 2018
Good one O.p. Starting with my first name seems quite unusual to me. Capitalizing my surname first will do for me.
prestige2013:

Take note, its Mr not Mr., there is no need putting (.) after the abbreviation since the abbreviation ends with same letter as the word itself.

Mr - Mister not Mr.
Dr - Doctor not Dr.

Another one guilty of. Thank you.
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by koffibass(m): 12:19pm On Jan 15, 2018
Interesting post O P

I need you to clarify an issue using the name sample below:

First Nam: Okeke

Middle Name: Attahiru

Surname/Last name:Idakwo

This is what I need you to do, give the proper arrangement with first name coming first and last name coming first without omitting any of the names.

Another observation is that, one tends to see provision for other name when filling out a form. Is the other name same as middle name?
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by frank043(m): 12:50pm On Jan 15, 2018
AnonyNymous:

There should be a comma after the surname, still. Or written in all caps. Or both. That is, Dr. SURNAME, H.A . Or, SURNAME, H.A (PhD). Otherwise its still written the way the OP said. For example, Professor K.A Stroud, Professor R.K Rajput. If you studied Engineering I think these names should be familiar to you.

To add to the list..

Professor P.N Okeke, Professor M.W Anyakoha

1 Like

Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by BrizzyA(m): 1:16pm On Jan 15, 2018
Really?
Thank you.
prestige2013:

Mr - Mister not Mr.
Dr - Doctor not Dr.

Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by Papadoh(m): 1:41pm On Jan 15, 2018
Huh... well how about that?
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by Papadoh(m): 1:43pm On Jan 15, 2018
zadokokezie:
SMH
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by DAVE41(m): 2:17pm On Jan 15, 2018
flyca:

I'm not, I don't know about you. You likely are though. You can't have any reasonable life with this your level of absurdity.

Why are you so concern about my life or its like you wanna know me better. ??

Can we call a spade a spade
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by Marvidris(f): 2:25pm On Jan 15, 2018
Thank you. The write- up was quite educating
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by flyca: 2:26pm On Jan 15, 2018
DAVE41:

Why are you so concern about my life or its like you wanna know me better. ??

Can we call a spade a spade
Which spade? That you are a jobless troll and a never do well? Who derive pseudo-joy in attacking random people online with a reason? That your sentence construction is still flawed with coumtless errors raising a question about your educational background? That you need to repent?

Yea! It's a spade!
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by Marvidris(f): 2:27pm On Jan 15, 2018
Educative. thanks
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by DAVE41(m): 4:39pm On Jan 15, 2018
flyca:

Which spade? That you are a jobless troll and a never do well? Who derive pseudo-joy in attacking random people online with a reason? That your sentence construction is still flawed with coumtless errors raising a question about your educational background? That you need to repent?

Yea! It's a spade!

Now ... This is serious

[center]
IF I SHOULD START INSULTING YOU THE WAY MY MIND IS TELLING ME YOU WONT LIKE oOH. I ONLY CORRECT YOUR MISTAKE HOW IT MAY AFFECT YOU IN THE FUTURE IF YOU FAIL TO OBLIGE TO IT. AND YOU MADE IT SEEM LIKE A FIGHT.
WELL I COULD WE RE IN CHANGE ERA BUT YOU SHOULD NOT LET IT GET TO YOU kiss kiss[code][/code]
[/center]
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by deepwater(f): 5:10pm On Jan 15, 2018
prestige2013:

1 is Correct
2 is Correct
5 is Correct

Explain 3 and 4.
thanks

Once a name is bolded, there it is -- the surname

Warm regards[b]
DEEPWATER[/b] North Sea
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by flyca: 11:02pm On Jan 15, 2018
DAVE41:

Now ... This is serious

[center]
IF I SHOULD START INSULTING YOU THE WAY MY MIND IS TELLING ME YOU WONT LIKE oOH. I ONLY CORRECT YOUR MISTAKE HOW IT MAY AFFECT YOU IN THE FUTURE IF YOU FAIL TO OBLIGE TO IT. AND YOU MADE IT SEEM LIKE A FIGHT.
WELL I COULD WE RE IN CHANGE ERA BUT YOU SHOULD NOT LET IT GET TO YOU kiss kiss[code][/code]
[/center]

I'm not scared of bullies, online tyrants and joy-killers, okay? Actually, I'm ready for you. And you too, be ready to get served HOT! You attacked me first, and for no reason!
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by DAVE41(m): 11:41pm On Jan 15, 2018
flyca:

I'm not scared of bullies, online tyrants and joy-killers, okay? Actually, I'm ready for you. And you too, be ready to get served HOT! You attacked me first, and for no reason!

You are forming e_warrior. ..with those keypad

grin cheesy

I KNOW YOUR TYPE
I LEFT MOST OF THEM AT THE STATE MEANWHILE I DID NOT ATTACK U I'D ONLY CORRECT YOU of your mistake
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by flyca: 11:56pm On Jan 15, 2018
DAVE41:

You are forming e_warrior. ..with those keypad

grin cheesy

I KNOW YOUR TYPE
I LEFT MOST OF THEM AT THE STATE[color=#000000]S
. MEANWHILE I DID NOT ATTACK U I'D ONLY CORRECTED YOU of your mistake[/color]

Liar! There was no mistake in my comment. You said it yourself, that you attacked me for no reason!
Did you see those errors up there? Don't thank me, you are welcome.
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by DAVE41(m): 12:42am On Jan 16, 2018
flyca:

Liar! There was no mistake in my comment. You said it yourself, that you attacked me for no reason!
Did you see those errors up there? Don't thank me, you are welcome.

Like seriously are we acting a script here ??

You are just too sturborn to accept your fault

why is it hard for you to accept your mistake and let's move on. ...is it some kinda parenting ish or what ??
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by DonOms(m): 12:55am On Jan 16, 2018
phemmyfour:
Are you daft? Did I say it won't carry comma or be in all CAPS. I said "it comes first"

No, I'm not daft. And you didn't categorically say it won't carry either comma or be in CAPS.

Here is what you wrote:
phemmyfour:
Its not practice all over the globe. On CV, surname comes before the first name

You introduced your contribution with "It's not practiced all over the globe," then went further to state an apparent contradiction to the OP's correction. By all grammatical rules of semantics, it means you were trying to assert that your last statement holds true in some domain albeit not universally.

So you shouldn't have questioned my sense of judgement at all as it is not questionable. What has become questionable at this point is your understanding of grammar.

I know you may be tempted to question my sense of judgement even further, or resort to outright abuse, but be informed that I owe it to my sense of judgement to refrain from any form of discourse with you henceforth.
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by flyca: 12:56am On Jan 16, 2018
DAVE41:

Like seriously are we acting a script here ??

You are just too sturborn to accept your fault

why is it hard for you to accept your mistake and let's move on. ...is it some kinda parenting ish or what ??
Bring out the error you saw in my script!
And also I'll show you when you said you attacked me for no reason! Bully you are!
And yes, I'm stubborn when I meet mindless people like you.
Try and construct your next thoughts in sentences void of gbagun! I'm waiting tongue

1 Like

Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by omoikea(m): 1:08am On Jan 16, 2018
On my NYSC cert my surname was written first, followed by my first name then my middle name...

but on my Uniben certificate, my first name was written first, follow by my middle name and my surname last but only the surname was written in capital letters...

thumbs up for my school grin
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by DAVE41(m): 4:10pm On Jan 16, 2018
flyca:

Bring out the error you saw in my script!
And also I'll show you when you said you attacked me for no reason! Bully you are!
And yes, I'm stubborn when I meet mindless people like you.
Try and construct your next thoughts in sentences void of gbagun! I'm waiting tongue

Girlfriend, can we just move on ...
People like you are just too hard hence learning becomes a problem
Meanwhile I am giving up on you
Your first comment says it all. But you re-edited it and now you are acting the victim
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by flyca: 4:17pm On Jan 16, 2018
DAVE41:

Girlfriend, can we just move on ...
People like you are just too hard hence learning becomes a problem
Meanwhile I am giving up on you
Your first comment says it all. But you re-edited it and now you are acting the victim
Tjem stop mentioning me.
I hope you've learned your lesson. Not every one will sucvum to

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nobody Really Cares, So Hide That Certificate And Just Survive Anyhow / Abdullahi Olatoyan Offered A Job By Uche Nnaji / At What Age Did You Make Your First N100,000?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.