Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,751 members, 7,806,058 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:49 AM

Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh (21460 Views)

Buhari Condemns Killing Of 37 Villagers By Cattle Rustlers / Cattle Colonies In Nigerian States Begin Next Week – FG / Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Be Warned! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh by freeze20: 2:19pm On Jan 15, 2018
Re: Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh by freeze20: 2:25pm On Jan 15, 2018
manci:
then any tribe that's doing business out of their states of origin should go back to their states
Nobody is against Fulanis doing legit business anywhere. The problem here is the backing, and support from FG. Any Fulani man is free to buy land anywhere and practice ranging as its done globally. Why not just leave people's farmland alone and build ranges? You have the money, so you can do it.
Above all, you guys have shown to be very aggresive with your approach to world view, judging from your history, nobody will want to freely mingle with you, for fear of annihilation. The middlebelt is currently experiencing upheaval as a result of this mistake. This is the root of the problem.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh by D555(m): 2:32pm On Jan 15, 2018
PapaBrowne:
All I can say is Buhari assembled a team that is as dumb as himself.
He sent out his messengers to go accross the country to search for a team as dumb as himself.

Listen to this guy. When you are through, go and listen to Akinwunmi Adesina, Jonathan’s minister of Agriculture who is now AfDB chairman. You will understand why Nigeria is undergoing the mess it is in currently.

GOD BLESS YOU.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jan 15, 2018
Plz wen does BUHARI declare these people a terrorist group?....a true leader should have zero tolerance wen it comes to taking innocent people's lives,else we wud b heading to a point where human heads wud b littered the streets...plz do we want that?
Re: Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh by Bolaji21(m): 2:36pm On Jan 15, 2018
nwakibie3:
Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Audu Ogbeh, has explained what he meant by the term ‘cattle colony’ as the only solution to the protracted clash between Fulani herdsmen and farmers.

The minister insisted that cattle colonies being suggested by his ministry remained the only panacea in sight to ending the recurring war.

Ogbeh had on Monday said Federal Government had resolved to establish cattle colonies in a bid to put an end to the persistent Fulani herdsmen, farmers’ crisis across the country.

According to the minister, facilities such as grass and water will be provided to take care of herdsmen and their cattle.

Speaking with DAILY POST yesterday in his Abuja home, Ogbeh said Nigerians had largely misunderstood the concept of cattle colonies thereby, misinterpreting it with sensational reportage in the media as extending Fulani colonialism.

He revealed that the cattle colonies being talked about does not transfer land ownership to Fulanis and was not a new concept since the British had in 1942 proposed same even before Nigeria became an independent nation.

He said this was why the Obudu Cattle Ranch was established, a gesture that made founding fathers like Awolowo and Ahmadu Bello to set up ranches in Akunu and Mokwa and most recently Governor Mimiko in Anuga.

“In biology, you have animal colonies, you have bees, snake colonies and in some places crocodiles. Once there is a large concentration of any species of animals whether artificial or natural you call them colonies.

“A colony is much larger and viable, cheaper and safer because the colonies will have several ranches in them where the government is ready to provide water and feed at subsidized rates for the herds with the view to increasing their yields.

“We have chosen to embark on cattle colonies because we want to supply water to cows, because the grass they eat is not just any kind of grass. Cows are very selective about the grasses they eat, even if they are not, the quality of grass they eat determines the quality of beef and milk you get”

“For the purpose of succeeding in this project, seeds of grasses have been gotten from Argentina, Brasil and the US and domesticated on a large scale”, he said.

Chief Ogbeh further explained that the government was not forcing any State to donate lands for the project but that those who understood the concept were donating lands for the takeoff.

“One third of the cows moving in the bush have Bovine TB and they can transmit same to human beings.

“In Holland one cow in the summer consumes one hundred litres of water per day so when a cow is heading from Maiduguri to Lagos on foot and doesn’t have access to ten litres of water in a week, that’s torture and explains why we have the lowest yield of milk in West Africa.” He added.

http://dailypost.ng/2018/01/15/fulani-herdsmen-nigerians-misunderstood-meant-cattle-colonies-audu-ogbeh/
Sorry to say, this man is a bastard son of Benue.
Cattle rearing is one of the millions of private businesses in Nigeria. He's talking as if the federal government is responsible for the cows' welfare.

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh by uu2712: 2:43pm On Jan 15, 2018
I am concerned that Dr. Ogbe forgot to mention that those other colonies do not share residence with herds men /owners who will in turn scheme to take over the land from owners or kill landowners to covet lands /raise offspring's and impose their government. Perhaps Dr. Ogbe may need to ask questions around Plateau state.

My greatest worry however is that Buhari's FG is doing everything to carve out space for his people everywhere in Nigeria , including SOUTH EAST where he has shown so much disdain . He procured loan to build rails roads that excludes SOUTH EAST but includes MARABA in NIGER republic so that they can move freely to acquire lands for their private businesses.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh by Awoo88: 2:47pm On Jan 15, 2018
For the full Nigeria buhari just settle down gather Dundee like am.None of his ministers have sense. even fashola that was tuanted to be clever has turned out to be a confirmed olodo!! May buhari not happen to any body

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh by cytell56: 2:52pm On Jan 15, 2018
nwakibie3:
Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Audu Ogbeh, has explained what he meant by the term ‘cattle colony’ as the only solution to the protracted clash between Fulani herdsmen and farmers.

The minister insisted that cattle colonies being suggested by his ministry remained the only panacea in sight to ending the recurring war.

Ogbeh had on Monday said Federal Government had resolved to establish cattle colonies in a bid to put an end to the persistent Fulani herdsmen, farmers’ crisis across the country.

According to the minister, facilities such as grass and water will be provided to take care of herdsmen and their cattle.

Speaking with DAILY POST yesterday in his Abuja home, Ogbeh said Nigerians had largely misunderstood the concept of cattle colonies thereby, misinterpreting it with sensational reportage in the media as extending Fulani colonialism.

He revealed that the cattle colonies being talked about does not transfer land ownership to Fulanis and was not a new concept since the British had in 1942 proposed same even before Nigeria became an independent nation.

He said this was why the Obudu Cattle Ranch was established, a gesture that made founding fathers like Awolowo and Ahmadu Bello to set up ranches in Akunu and Mokwa and most recently Governor Mimiko in Anuga.

“In biology, you have animal colonies, you have bees, snake colonies and in some places crocodiles. Once there is a large concentration of any species of animals whether artificial or natural you call them colonies.

“A colony is much larger and viable, cheaper and safer because the colonies will have several ranches in them where the government is ready to provide water and feed at subsidized rates for the herds with the view to increasing their yields.

“We have chosen to embark on cattle colonies because we want to supply water to cows, because the grass they eat is not just any kind of grass. Cows are very selective about the grasses they eat, even if they are not, the quality of grass they eat determines the quality of beef and milk you get”

“For the purpose of succeeding in this project, seeds of grasses have been gotten from Argentina, Brasil and the US and domesticated on a large scale”, he said.

Chief Ogbeh further explained that the government was not forcing any State to donate lands for the project but that those who understood the concept were donating lands for the takeoff.

“One third of the cows moving in the bush have Bovine TB and they can transmit same to human beings.

“In Holland one cow in the summer consumes one hundred litres of water per day so when a cow is heading from Maiduguri to Lagos on foot and doesn’t have access to ten litres of water in a week, that’s torture and explains why we have the lowest yield of milk in West Africa.” He added.

http://dailypost.ng/2018/01/15/fulani-herdsmen-nigerians-misunderstood-meant-cattle-colonies-audu-ogbeh/

Colonies my foot. They should establish spare parts colony for Ibo's too

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh by Artzdanielsz(m): 3:05pm On Jan 15, 2018
abeg is nigerian govt. partnering with cattle rearer for them to open this colony for them or wat.isn't this an individual business because why is this govt so bent opening this for these terrorist .why won't them call on operation cow dance.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh by Ussyberry(m): 3:08pm On Jan 15, 2018
the word colony.................................no, just no!
Re: Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh by rosebowl01(m): 3:15pm On Jan 15, 2018
Are you done you stupid old fool? Thanks for the explanation. Go and set up the “colonies” in your village, and Fulani states. Thanks.

It was on the guise of “colonies” and good gesture that enabled same people to destroy and take over ancient kingdoms till date. Who are you fooling? Dumb old slave.

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh by Danny555: 3:36pm On Jan 15, 2018
ιf ¢αттℓє яєαяιиg ιѕ α fє∂єяαℓ gσνт вυѕιиєѕѕ тнєи тнєу ѕнσυℓ∂ gσ αнєα∂ αи∂ вυιℓ∂ тнє яαи¢нєѕ,ιт ιѕ qυιєт σвνισυѕ тнαт σиє ℓιкє υ ιѕ нєα∂ιиg α вιg ρσѕιтισи ℓιкє тнιѕ,ρєσρℓє αяє тαℓкιиg αвσυт ѕαfєту σf ℓιfє αи∂ υ αяє нєяє ρℓαииιиg нσω тσ ѕρяєα∂ тнє ѕσ ¢αℓℓ нєя∂ѕмєи тσ єνєяу ѕтαтє.

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jan 15, 2018
Ogbeh Ogbeh Ogbeh How Many Times Did I Call U Go And Ask Afonjas Of Ilorin How Fulani Conquer Them Den U Will Know U Are Making A Mistake
Re: Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jan 15, 2018
My humble advice to Ogbeh. If he is so much love these cows and Nigeria, let him donate his lands and demolish his Abuja home to creates cattle colonies.

Are these not northerners used to boasts how they own landmarks than other regions

We don't even see money from government Agriculture ministry. Will there be benchmark for agriculture in 2018 budget

Will there be benchmark for cattle in 2018 budget

Please I want to know.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh by ikwubaba: 4:02pm On Jan 15, 2018
princechurchill:
I heard the northern Nigeria has the largest land mass establish cow colonies their naa we don't understand ur cattle colonies English here in south east maybe alhamajiris will.

So when you need a cow in Aba, they send just one to you from the North abi?
Re: Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh by jara: 4:13pm On Jan 15, 2018
Even cows do not eat African grass and Africans do not like cassava bread!

Desert encouragement is a problem in the North. One would think that planners that think beyond their nose would establish all the grass and water in the North where cattle come from. At the same time stop desert encroachment.

If Niger can grow grass for import to Nigeria, why has the grass not grown after how many years?

No they want land they can colonize in the South.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh by BigIyanga: 4:21pm On Jan 15, 2018
Audu Ogbe, a former PDP national Chairman.. used and dumped like tampon, is now a minister and spokesman for GMB
Re: Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh by Jasomine: 5:00pm On Jan 15, 2018
The Minister should go and establish a cattle colony in his father's village and leave the rest of us

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh by Henri8: 5:00pm On Jan 15, 2018
PapaBrowne:
All I can say is Buhari assembled a team that is as dumb as himself.
He sent out his messengers to go accross the country to search for a team as dumb as himself.

Listen to this guy. When you are through, go and listen to Akinwunmi Adesina, Jonathan’s minister of Agriculture who is now AfDB chairman. You will understand why Nigeria is undergoing the mess it is in currently.

They are even dumber than buhari.

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh by ritachinemerem: 5:40pm On Jan 15, 2018
We dont Want Colonies, is it by Force haba
Re: Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh by greatwhite(m): 5:41pm On Jan 15, 2018
There are people in Nigeria with no access to water. Cows will be getting full access to water soon. The land where cows are more valuable than human life. Sad day for my country.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jan 15, 2018
stnkembu:
Mr Ogbeh, so a larger portion of Nigerians did not understand the statement made by one person.... You must have thought most Nigerians are all fools.

Those colonies are the easiest ways of setting up fulani communities/caliphate in every State. You don't aim to be neighbours with them and still have peace of mind.

What happens to eating with long spoon while served with the devil.

What do you expect when a French teacher is made the minister of Agriculture.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh by felifeli: 5:47pm On Jan 15, 2018
Drive them away - PERMANENTLY

Re: Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jan 15, 2018
ikwubaba:

So when you need a cow in Aba, they send just one to you from the North abi?

This is why there is no value addition to any of our agricultural produce.

Must we always buy live cows?

What happened to frozen beef and beef products in supermarkets as it's sold in the western world ?

Re: Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh by DedeNkem: 6:07pm On Jan 15, 2018
So instead of arrest or killing murderous fulani terrorists who have slaughtered many Nigerians and still doing so almost daily, the incompetent buhari fulani government wants to appease them! How can you appease terrorists?!!

Tribalist buhari was quick to call IPOB a terrorist group and illegally ordered the corrupt Army to invade and murder it's members for no genuine reason!! A group that conducts peaceful protests, unarmed and doesn't kill people!!

Crooked tribalist buhari has not at anytime said a word against fulani terrorists. He has not done anything to arrest or kill them. He has ordered the army to attack fulani terrorists. And he has not called them terrorists!!! How is this fair?!
Re: Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh by Fourwinds: 6:47pm On Jan 15, 2018
so this old man never still buy sense since
Re: Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh by Fawklicant: 8:24pm On Jan 15, 2018
The north is six times larger in land mass than the south. Sambisa forest is bigger than many southern states. That's more than enough land for cattle colony Mr. Slave minister!
Re: Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh by jamjo: 10:47pm On Jan 15, 2018
nwakibie3:

This was why Trump used the word shitholes to describe African counties. Look at our minister suggesting 1942 proposal by our colonial masters in 2018 as a solution just imagine that, can we see where the problem we have in this country emanates when our leaders cannot think outside the box. This is 2018 for God's sake what are our so-called collages of Agricultures and our universities doing, counties of the world has moved beyond cattle-colonies. The system of rearing animals has changed and it is imperative that Nigeria moves with time. What Nigeria needs is ranches nothing more, as for the grass the government will not be in the business of importing grass for private businesses all it needs to do, is an enabling environment that will allow cattle farmers to import their own feed with their own money, not taxpayers. The government should engage and aid the universities in researching the best grasses that are suitable for the cattle we breed in Nigeria so the farmers should not depend on imported grass as our minister want it.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh by jamjo: 10:50pm On Jan 15, 2018
nwakibie3:

This was why Trump used the word shitholes to describe African counties. Look at our minister suggesting 1942 proposal by our colonial masters in 2018 as a solution just imagine that, can we see where the problem we have in this country emanates when our leaders cannot think outside the box. This is 2018 for God's sake what are our so-called collages of Agricultures and our universities doing, counties of the world has moved beyond cattle-colonies. The system of rearing animals has changed and it is imperative that Nigeria moves with time. What Nigeria needs is ranches nothing more, as for the grass the government will not be in the business of importing grass for private businesses all it needs to do, is an enabling environment that will allow cattle farmers to import their own feed with their own money, not taxpayers. The government should engage and aid the universities in researching the best grasses that are suitable for the cattle we breed in Nigeria so the farmers should not depend on imported grass as our minister want it.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh by ellboy007(m): 2:34am On Jan 16, 2018
Rubbish talk. The guns they re carrying, what happens to them. Ona dey talk to children abi?
Re: Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerians Misunderstood What I Meant By Cattle Colonies – Ogbeh by Christistruth00: 8:52am On Jan 19, 2018
aolawale025:
Set up the colonies in the Fulani states

Or Sambisa forest .We will even allow the airforce watch over their cows for free.

Southern Nigeria is full of poultry farmers and we never used that as an excuse to overrun the nation with grazing Chickens .

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Atiku Abubakar Visits Oba Adekunle In Ilesa, Osun State / Jimi Agbaje Condemns Outright Ban On Okada, Tricycles, Urges Regulation / Tinubu, Lawan, APC Govs To Storm Edo For Campaign Rally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.