Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,534 members, 7,808,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:08 PM

The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student (24120 Views)

5 Easy Ways To Be A 1st Class Student / 10 Secret First Class Student Will Never Tell Anyone About / 7 Reasons Why Polytechnic Students Are Rated 2nd Class Student. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student by Kalatium(m): 1:03am On Jan 18, 2018
"Getting a first class degree is in your hands and not in the hands of your lecturers. You choose the grades you want by the decisions you make and the actions you take. Your lecturers only give you the grades you choose."

When you enter your address bar and type how to get first class you will see many websites telling you many ways to get first class. But how many people have read it and become first class students. The main problem is that they always tell you how they got first class. They never really tell you how to get first yourself . They may tell you to read everyday, start preparing from beginning of semester, read in quiet environment, sit in front of class, don't have girl friend, concentrate in class, become friends with your lecturers. But the thing is that all humans are different. There is no one way of making first class. In fact when I was in 100L I never had a mentor, I am a back bencher, I didn't concentrate in class, I read only under pressure, I didn't stress my self that much but I end up with 4.82.
After studying myself and other first class students I noticed there are 2 immutable laws of getting first class:

1. Decide exactly what you want
2. detennine the price you're going to have to pay to get it, and then resolve to pay that price

First, decide exactly what it is you want. Most people never do that. In fact most students don't have a predefined goal. They just read to pass. The possible reasons are:

The first reason people don't set goals is that they are simply not serious. They are talkers instead of doers. They want to be more successful, they want to improve their lives, but they are not willing to make the necessary effort. They do not have the "fire in the belly" that translates into a burning desire to make something of themselves, to make their lives bigger and better and more exciting.

The second and the most predominant reason people do not set goals is the fear of failure. I cannot repeat often enough, the fear of failure ", is the greatest single barricade to success in your life It is what keeps people in their comfort zones. It is what makes them keep their heads down and play it safe as the years pass by.

The major reason for the fear of failure is that most people don't understand the role of failure in achieving success. The rule is simply this: It is impossible to succeed without failing . Failure is a Prerequisite for success. The greatest successes in human history have also been the greatest failures. In the same year that Babe Ruth became the home run king of baseball, he also struck out more than any other player.
Thomas Edison was the most successful inventor of the modem age. He received patents for 1,093 inventions, 1,052 of which were brought into commercial production during his lifetime. But as an inventor, he was also the greatest failure of his age. He failed more times, in more experiments, attempting to develop more products, than any other livmg scientist or businessman. It took him more than 11,000 experiments alone before he finally discovered the carbon-impregnated filament that led to the production of the first electric light bulb.

There is a story about Edison that, after he had conducted more than 5,000 experiments, a young journalist came to him and asked him why he persisted in these experiments after having failed more than 5,000 times. Edison is said to have replied, "Young man, you don't understand how the world works. I have not failed at all. I have successfully identified 5,000 ways that will not work. That just puts me 5,000 ways closer to the way that will."
Other students prefer to settle for less, and when thy. Cant make first class they will be telling you that it's not a Prerequisite to having job (unfortunately that's Nigeria for you) but is not a guarantee to not give your best in school.
Never settle for mediocre when planning to get a first class. Set a goal (e.g 4.7)and believe you can achieve it. It has to do with your subconscious mind. To make it possible , you have to have mini goals for example first discipline yourself to get above average in a test. When u succeed try getting up to three-quarter of the score and before you know , it will be possible to give the lecturer a marking scheme.

31 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student by Kalatium(m): 1:17am On Jan 18, 2018
Second, detennine the price you're going to have to pay to get it, and then resolve to pay that price.
You have to understand yourself after knowing what you want. You have to be persevere even if you don't get what you want. There is no success without failing. Failure is a gateway to success. I noticed something about first class students, they are optimistic and do not give up when they fail. They learn from their mistakes and press forward.
The great weakness of most people is that, even if they have some idea of what they want, they have never sat down and thought through what it will take to get it, and whether or not they are willing to pay that price. In order to get whatever you desire, however you define it, you must pay the price in full. You must sow before you reap. And you may have to work a long time before you harvest the crop.
Wanting a first class is not enough, in fact a quite number of students at one point in time wanted to get a class but only few are willing to do what it takes. You have to want first class so bad that you will be willing to sacrifice by paying the price. When you are willing, you will start acting like first class students. You'll know your reading style, how fast you assimilate, when best you read best , your strength and weaknesses, how to Use your time well especially balancing your academic and social life . You'll always be prepared incase of impromptu tests. You'll obey school rules and regulations You'll do all it takes to achieve your goals.
Have you ever asked yourself how do first class students know how to perform well academically? There is a burning desire in them to learn and not just to pass. They always give their best making them better than the rest. Sometimes they compete with each other . The understand that lecturers are different and usually give them what they want. Unlike the rest they don't read harder, they only read smarter.

"So many people desire to achieve a first class but never truly want it. If you really want it, you will get it. I started university really wanting a first class and that played a huge role in my success. Once you are determined, you won’t even notice the hard work because your eyes are on the prize. Do not for one second even doubt yourself, aim for it and work for it — the occasional bad grade shouldn’t distract you either. If you want a first class, be determined to achieve one."
—Ekondu Ochogwu,from Lancaster University Law School

Thanks for reading

35 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student by jnichole(m): 7:40am On Jan 18, 2018
nice piece I want a first class but I don't know how feasible it will be cos I lost alot during year one now I am in year two but not yet in school because of money
Re: The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student by Adam09: 7:44am On Jan 18, 2018
Thanks bro, I appreciate this wonderful insight.
Re: The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jan 18, 2018
Tnx bro yhu jxt changed ma mindset
Re: The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student by kennyjam: 5:29pm On Jan 18, 2018
Do the calculation and assume hitting first class GPAs, from now till you graduate.

jnichole:
nice piece I want a first class but I don't know how feasible it will be cos I lost alot during year one now I am in year two but not yet in school because of money
Re: The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student by jnichole(m): 7:45pm On Jan 18, 2018
kennyjam:
Do the calculation and assume hitting first class GPAs, from now till you graduate.

I will give my all
Re: The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student by Nobody: 1:53am On Jan 19, 2018
This piece is for me. Thanks

1 Like

Re: The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student by Kalatium(m): 1:17am On Jan 21, 2018
Adam09:
Thanks bro, I appreciate this wonderful insight.
You are welcome
Re: The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student by Thane(m): 2:33am On Jan 21, 2018
nice one
Re: The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student by kennyjam: 5:22am On Jan 21, 2018
jnichole:
I will give my all

all the best bro
Re: The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student by rawpadgin(m): 7:03am On Jan 21, 2018
Awesome piece! But in a country like Nigeria where nepotism is the other of the day, it doesn't matter if u graduated with first class or second as long as u are a "First Class" citizen or u know someone who is a "First Class" citizen u are so getting that white collar job

3 Likes

Re: The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student by hezy4real01(m): 7:07am On Jan 21, 2018
Yes! what exactly do u want! Because one useless girl said she can't date a guy who earns 100k monthly.... The question is this how much ur papa de earn ?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student by kennyjam: 7:16am On Jan 21, 2018
iyanu asele

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student by ecdcyber: 7:18am On Jan 21, 2018
Great, this article applies to everyday life.

3 Likes

Re: The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student by usmanktg2(m): 7:19am On Jan 21, 2018
V
Re: The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student by onojaford(m): 7:20am On Jan 21, 2018
Encouraging!
Re: The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student by alikor2(m): 7:22am On Jan 21, 2018
This is good
Re: The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student by usmanktg2(m): 7:23am On Jan 21, 2018
rawpadgin:
Awesome piece! But in a country like Nigeria where nepotism is the other of the day, it doesn't matter if u graduated with first class or second as long as u are a "First Class" citizen or u know someone who is a "First Class" citizen u are so getting that white collar job

Get the first class first, then speak what ever rubbish you will like.
Do not say something that its only advantage is to demoralize hardworking brothers.
To some people, this post is a life changer, so why demoralize them?

6 Likes

Re: The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student by Nobody: 7:28am On Jan 21, 2018
Be determined and disciplined towards your goals.. E no pass like that.

1 Like

Re: The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student by Rigel95(m): 7:33am On Jan 21, 2018
nice article.I started with a 4.47 but with a review of my reading pattern and a burning determination , I eventually moved above 4.5 .
Re: The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student by stanliwise(m): 7:36am On Jan 21, 2018
rawpadgin:

It is just like saying everybody is going to die soon(one day). although we know that is our fate but that should not stop us from enjoying the little time we can live. Get good grades for the sake of proving you are hardworking and it will help you get more confident about yourself.

8 Likes

Re: The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student by Veraatabeh(f): 7:36am On Jan 21, 2018
Nice write up
Re: The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student by fergusen: 7:38am On Jan 21, 2018
cool
Re: The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student by BruncleZuma: 7:38am On Jan 21, 2018
After I saw "detennine" I just know say nah dem....

2 Likes

Re: The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student by toogbasky(m): 7:40am On Jan 21, 2018
A country like Nigeria,,, a bit of luck shud be on your list
Re: The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student by Gazaliy93(m): 7:45am On Jan 21, 2018
Re: The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student by Luukasz(m): 7:48am On Jan 21, 2018
Having first class doesn't guarantee you anything in life. The daura man Buhari doesn't even have a pass yet Professor Adewole, Prof itse sagay bows before him.
Likewise other profs, Bill Gates doesn't have a first class yet he's the richest man in the world.
Aint talking anyone out of first class, but whats the point in having first class and you end up working for someone who doesn't even have a cert.
Develop yourself as an individual rather than chase after academic excellence besides i've come to discover most of those who chase after academic excellence always end up building another mans dreams cos thats what the school has programmed them to do. They spend so much time pursuing academic excellence when that time and energy could be channeled into developing themselves as great minds with intellects

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student by rawpadgin(m): 7:51am On Jan 21, 2018
stanliwise:

It is just like saying everybody is going to die soon(one day). although we know that is our fate but that should not stop us from enjoying the little time we can live. Get the first class for the sake of proving your hard work and get more confident about yourself.
u guys are just ignoring the "awesome piece" i wrote @ the beginning of my comment.

If i wasn't in support of what the op wrote i wouldn't have acknowledged it. I wasn't trying to discourage anybody just stating the obvious truth

1 Like

Re: The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student by jamie1994: 7:56am On Jan 21, 2018
Getting a first class is quite easy. Hardwork matters but you also need to have a good brain

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hilarious: After A Poor Performance, And The Teacher Says You Need To "Sit Up" / Olukayode Mobolaji Oluwasona Graduates With 5.0 CPGA In Poland / Pupils Eating Free Meals In Class In Ota (Pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.