Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,480 members, 7,781,407 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:59 PM

Do You Think AI Will Become Mainstream In 2018? - Technology Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / Do You Think AI Will Become Mainstream In 2018? (332 Views)

Top 5 Best Ebook Readers To Buy In 2018 / Huawei Honor Note 8 For Sale (best Phablet In 2018) / The 25 Best Free Iphone Apps To Use In 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Do You Think AI Will Become Mainstream In 2018? by wikiadamin: 10:17pm On Jan 18, 2018
Are you looking forward to the day when you can have computers do many of your menial tasks for you? Do you think that day will be soon? Or do you still think that whole “Jetsons” lifestyle is quite a ways off? We asked our writers, “Do you think artificial intelligence will become mainstream in 2018?”

Our Opinion
Phil points out if you look at what has happened in the market with voice-operated personal assistants, he thinks it’s about to go mainstream. “Alexa (and her Google and Apple chums) is much smarter than a toy but not quite a tool yet,” but she’s getting there. Looking at how we’ve gone from not having anything like this to having so much of it in such a short time, he thinks “we’re going to see a mind-boggling array of much more obvious and powerful AI tools in the home over the next year.”

If we’re talking about smart digital assistants, Alex figures advances are inevitable, yet he also thinks Google Home and Alexa are already fairly mainstream and in a surprisingly high number of homes. He hopes Apple will work more on expanding Siri’s functionality in the new Home Pod, “driving Google and Amazon to continue to improve their digital assistant products.” But the AI that’s involved in self-driving cars, he figures, is still a long way off.

Kenneth believes “AI has entered its golden age and is making big strides like never before.” He points to the world of robots and AI-based chatbots, believing it’s “not around the corner – it’s right here,” and an everyday reality in many industries. From finance and customer service to healthcare and manufacturing, all have entered the world of AI and are moving now towards Android and iOS apps, making smartphones smarter.

Ada doesn’t think we’ll see robots everywhere in 2018, so if this is the definition of “AI,” she doesn’t believe it will be mainstream for a decade or so. We’ll see more and more AI for sure, but not with that big of a leap in 2018.

writers-opinion-ai-2018-content

Fabio thinks 2018 “will be just another year where AI will still get some fine-tuning,” but he doesn’t think anything really huge is going to happen.

As far as AI is concerned, Miguel doesn’t foresee anything game-changing, “but research will help push new products into the market and refine the ability of software to recognize things like our speech and expressions.” Like Kenneth, he believes our devices are going to get smarter. He also believes we’ll see “more back-end work, like better big data analysis, that will lead to smarter recommendations for users.” It won’t affect people directly, though.

Ryan is doubtful that we’ll see any practical application for AI in a regular person’s everyday life. “Even if there were useful ways to implement it, AI would need to be integrated into our lives gradually over time,” in order for people to know how to use it as well as not be “freaked out” by it.

I have to admit that one of my favorite cartoons when I was growing up was “The Jetsons,” so I’ve been looking forward to an AI world within the home. That cartoon always fascinated me. However, I don’t think we’re quite there yet in many areas, but I do think we’ve surpassed some of those ideas in many ways. I know it’s silly, but that’s my barometer. When I can program a machine to make a full dinner in a matter of minutes, I will know that we have arrived.

Your Opinion
Is artificial intelligence already touching your life to where you think it might become mainstream this year? Or do you think it still has a ways to go and that it’s not going to happen in 2018? Do you think artificial intelligence will become mainstream in 2018? Join our conversation below in the comments section.

http://wepublicisenaija.com/6894/do-you-think-ai-will-become-mainstream-in-2018/

(1) (Reply)

Infinix Hot Note For Sale In Ibadan / Whatsapp Messenger Vs Whatsapp Business App /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.