Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,963 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:36 AM

When A Tenant Threatens A Landlord - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / When A Tenant Threatens A Landlord (655 Views)

Quit Notice To A Tenant / NERC: A Landlord's outstanding Electricity Bills Cannot Be Enforced On A Tenant / Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When A Tenant Threatens A Landlord by Abali1(m): 3:45pm On Jan 19, 2018
Nairalanders please read and make comments.
The Story:
I rented out, a one room self contained to a man in 2015. The room is attached to my family house and have about two entrances. The entrance which the tenant uses to go out and come in has a burglary proof inside. For security reasons, we instructed the tenant to always lock his burglary proof and go out through the other entrance that leads into our side of the house, anytime he will be spending the night outside the compound and he agreed. When my mum was alive this arrangement was a problem as someone was always at home. After my mum's death in 2016, her sister living with her then traveled to Lagos to go spend some time at my elder sister's place, and she is still in Lagos even as I am writing this.
December 2016, this tenant traveled with his family, and didn't come back to the house till January 2017. We tried to reach him on phone before my aunt traveled but his phone number was unavailable. when he came back January 2017, he went straight to the house and on getting there he found everywhere locked up. The time was past 9pm. He put a call to me to bring the keys to him, and I told him that it was already very late and I live a bit far from my family house. I asked him to spend the night at one his neighbors (another tenant within the compound and a bachelor) and very early in the morning I will come and open the door for him. He flatly refused and insisted on coming to my house to collect the keys. I didn't have a problem with that. When he came, I gave one my cousins that just came in that evening the keys to go with him. So that he can open up his room and my cousin will lock up the doors and bring back the keys to me.
Sometime around mid 2017, the tenant opened up to me that he has been angry with me. I enquired the reason for his annoyance. He mentioned incident that I narrated above and that why he called me to bring the keys to him is because I have a car. I told him he shouldn't reason like that, one he came back in the night and I don't go out at night neither do I stay out late.
Fastforward December 2017, this guy traveled to his village with his family and didn't bother locking up properly. When I found out, I went with the agent that brought him in another tenant in the compound and a cousin to go and lock up properly. Then I put a call across to him to call me when he is coming back to come and open the door for him.
When he came back January 2018, he called me and I went to open the door for him. After opening up the entrance I asked him to go and open his door. He replied that, "I should go in and open his door the same way I locked it". His tone to say the very least was insulting and condescending. I repeated that he should go in and open his door or i will lock up and leave. It was then that this guy started jumping up and shouting that "he will deal with me" over and over again. It was my cousin that was even trying to calm him down asking him if he doesn't have respect. Eventually the wife came back and went in to open their door.
I reported the matter to the police, and nothing came out of it. (we all understand NPF). I have equally served him a quit notice to vacate the apartment when his rent expires.
It might interest you people to know that this guy has never paid his rent on time after that first payment and I haven't for one day, insulted him or spoke harshly to him. I am always patient with my tenants to a certain extent and I respect all man irrespective of your financial status. But threatening me, in my own house....
Re: When A Tenant Threatens A Landlord by Abali1(m): 3:57pm On Jan 19, 2018
I understand the story is lengthy. But I appeal to the MODs to help me push this story. I need to get as much impartial comments as possible.
Also lawyers in the house and property managers should make an input. The house has been handed over to a lawyer. But some of the tenants there have a cordial relationship with my family and I don't know if it's what gave the man the guts to threaten me.
CC:
Acidosis, Solitcit4me, teemy, Daboomb, Mannatech, MrMcJay, barristerbiodun, Realestatepro
Re: When A Tenant Threatens A Landlord by Acidosis(m): 4:39pm On Jan 19, 2018
You have done no wrong.

However, ensure you do something about the entrance before the next tenant moves in. Your tenant should be able to walk in and out your property whenever he/she pleases without having to call for key.
Re: When A Tenant Threatens A Landlord by Abali1(m): 4:43pm On Jan 19, 2018
Acidosis:
You have done no wrong.

However, ensure you do something about the entrance before the next tenant moves in. Your tenant should be able to walk in and out your property whenever he/she pleases without having to call for key.
Exactly. With benefit of hindsight, this problem may not have arisen if maybe the burglary proof was outside instead of inside. But, when he rented the place in 2015, my mum was still alive and my aunt and others were still in the house always.
I will correct that mistake, but not with this present man. I have three other tenants staying in that house and I have never had any problem with them, neither do I disturb them or insult them even when they are owing rents.
Re: When A Tenant Threatens A Landlord by teemy(m): 5:03pm On Jan 19, 2018
As for the threat, no action would be taken against him other than inviting him and giving both parties a warning to keep the peace. a record would have been kept by the cops just for future reference just in case something does happen.

Try to make a proper entrance for him as it is equally an inconvenience for him as well. Shun the ego and do the needful. Be purely a business and include no personal emotions in your housing enterprise.

Wishing you well - Teemy
Re: When A Tenant Threatens A Landlord by Abali1(m): 5:14pm On Jan 19, 2018
teemy:
As for the threat, no action would be taken against him other than inviting him and giving both parties a warning to keep the peace. a record would have been kept by the cops just for future reference just in case something does happen.

Try to make a proper entrance for him as it is equally an inconvenience for him as well. Shun the ego and do the needful. Be purely a business and include no personal emotions in your housing enterprise.

Wishing you well - Teemy
Yes. A record was taking concerning the threat. Sometime last year I was forced to serve him a Notice to Quit, because he was owing rents and wasn't even making any effort at communicating with me when he is likely to pay. He has always had that ego something. But eventually he came and paid, and that was when he told me he was annoyed with me.
I would have built another burglary proof and put it outside his door so that he can come and go as he wished. But, if I let this slide other tenants will take me for a ride.
His second Notice to quit is already counting and I intend seeing it through. Even if it gets to the court.
Re: When A Tenant Threatens A Landlord by Abali1(m): 7:02pm On Jan 19, 2018
I want to read more comments on this. Daboomb
Re: When A Tenant Threatens A Landlord by MrMcJay(m): 7:40pm On Jan 19, 2018
Abai1, don't get yourself worked up over nothing. The steps you've taken are in order.

At the expiration of his term, try to create a separate entrance for the tenant's apartment so as to grant him easy entry and exit.

Don't let his rants and behaviour get under your skin, ensure you collect your rent and kick him out when his rent is due. No sentiments.

Also, let the lawyer interface directly with them. It keeps telling relationship professional and businesslike.

1 Like

Re: When A Tenant Threatens A Landlord by mannatech: 10:29pm On Jan 19, 2018
Abali1:
I understand the story is lengthy. But I appeal to the MODs to help me push this story. I need to get as much impartial comments as possible.
Also lawyers in the house and property managers should make an input. The house has been handed over to a lawyer. But some of the tenants there have a cordial relationship with my family and I don't know if it's what gave the man the guts to threaten me.
CC:
Acidosis, Solitcit4me, teemy, Daboomb, Mannatech, MrMcJay, barristerbiodun, Realestatepro
This kind of tenants always take offence with every action you decide to take towards managing your property even though its non threatening. They feel threatened by the fact that landlord's son of yesterday ( this small boy) is now landlord.
He has shown no regard for the safety of your personal property twice and the intention to harm u physically.
He has a grudge against u and its good u have initiated the eviction process.
Get your lawyer to draft a landlord tenant agreement that will contain simple do and don't, differentiate your responsibilities from theirs.
Re: When A Tenant Threatens A Landlord by Abali1(m): 6:03am On Jan 20, 2018
mannatech:

This kind of tenants always take offence with every action you decide to take towards managing your property even though its non threatening. They feel threatened by the fact that landlord's son of yesterday ( this small boy) is now landlord.
He has shown no regard for the safety of your personal property twice and the intention to harm u physically.
He has a grudge against u and its good u have initiated the eviction process.
Get your lawyer to draft a landlord tenant agreement that will contain simple do and don't, differentiate your responsibilities from theirs.
Someone told me exactly what you wrote up there. That the guy has a grudge against me. But I can't even begin to understand why. I was already managing the property before my mum died and it was I who signed tenancy agreement with him.
My only solace is that the tenancy agreement was iron clad and was prepared by my lawyer.
Thank you for your comment.

(1) (Reply)

- / Stonehenge Estate 1 / A Great Night With Queen's Court Cofo Title

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.