Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,683 members, 7,801,966 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:09 AM

Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home (95270 Views)

Man, Wife, Sister Die In Bauchi Auto Crash While Returning Home After Voting / Couple Die While Returning Home From Their Wedding (Photo) / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by dumodust(m): 7:27am On Jan 21, 2018
NOETHNICITY:
I am definitely not one of those who attach extra ordinary attachment to money.
wud be a consolidated millionaire if I did.

But, what will make a man remain in a country where he gets the 3rd class citizens treatment, if he could come home and live comfortably without the treat of getting undermined in anyway by anybody.

Imagine what US is currently doing to pple, notwithstanding they ve lived all their lives over there. Recently, a Latino was deported back to his country after living in the USA for more than 30yrs.
3rd class citizen treatment? are you serious? the amount of racism and discrimination i habe seen in nigeria is much worse... it is so blatant and even part of our culture. you can never completely feel at home outside your village because the indigenes will always show themselves

10 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by Nobody: 8:35am On Jan 21, 2018
Dantedasz:
It is good to be idealistic,but when you get back to Nigeria and the harsh realities stare you in the face, nobody will tell you before you pack you luggage and head back to where you are coming from; No electricity,no jobs,no good medical health care,no security of your life and property,bad roads, assassination,armed robbery,intimidation by SARS, horrible political leadership,corruption from the airport as you arrive the country and the horrible fact that you have to give bribes to get anything done in Nigeria.
I give all these idealistic dreamers three years at the most before the harsh reality dawns on them and they run back to where they are coming from except they were illegal immigrants in the first place.
Nigeria will crush and kill your idealism and hope in the end.

I almost forgot to add the menace of Boko Haram,Niger Delta militants and Fulani herdsmen armed with AK47 guns.
yusuf buhari was treated here in nigeria, so no bad mouth us

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by CioAngels(f): 9:19am On Jan 21, 2018
Yes, you love Nollywood and you want belong just to become a celebrity, is okay and i know you wont mind working for free to earn that status, very good. Celebrity is abroad comes with hard work, but cash and carry and some pleasant request, yes, you will be celebrity here, No, and she want be a celebrity. With our Nigeria complex of she is from abroad, yes, but you will still go through the odds because of your desperation. May be you should ask the older self acclaimed celebrities what they did to become celebrity. UK returnees are only coming home because acceptance is easier in Nigeria, good or bad. Do you think, ordinarily they will come home?

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by GavelSlam: 9:37am On Jan 21, 2018
livebynite:

Yes I change consoles regularly..if you know.me you won't be surprised.

I have the largest console collection as a user in Nigeria .

So when I get new ones I sell off one of the old ones that's a fact .

I own every single console that exists my game library is daunting ..

Gaming saved me ! Was a time all I know was the c true blue c but you wouldn't know nothing bout that would you ?

I report my set and have the inks on my.body to prove it from time in Juve and federal lock up

I was on my to be third strike was going to do a run for someone when someone who owed me gave me his Nintendo gamenoy advance pleading he would pay up the rest

That's how I discovered gaming ...lol hence I entered the world of gaming and I actually started caring for something.

To cut a long story short my game collecting will buy your entire generation.

I ain't one to brag but since you took it there by doubting g my earnings well let go there.
You never would want to know me back then in BK because for you to see me you loose you life, an eye or you get poked for real .

I wasn't no joke , but you are light weight key board make believe general phony

Listen son, here in Nigeria I earn monthly what you entire generation can't . And gaming gave me a purpose when. I started gaming I was able to strat to relate to normal folks not just bangers anymore .

I eventually went to college and the rest is history

I am very sure you don't Hen.

Just to let you know.

The Hen is no mistake.
Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by Bollinger(m): 11:20am On Jan 21, 2018
Godson201333:

I do not like it when i see people making no Valid point.If you like live in the United state for 20 years,There are some certain requirements that someone need to fulfil before you can even step your feet to USCIS office to file for nationality.Getting legal stay in America is much more complicated in Usa than any of those other western countries.As long as you came in through the back door,Bro then you are on your own and many of these Latinos and our brothers and sisters, came in through back door.Worst case is that you need to hire a lawyer and pay the lawyer thousands of dollars.As an illegal immigrant trying to make life,You think they also gonna find easy pumping a Lawyer wallet with thousands of dollars?

The first rule of a discourse is the foundation has to be based on logic. Is it logical to let a person stay in a country when they came in illegally? Answer that.

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by Bollinger(m): 11:23am On Jan 21, 2018
ogbonti:

U are high on oshogbo weed, by which law? That u lived in America as an illegal alien, then 5 years u become a citizen? If that's true, why are the Democrats haggling with Trump to legalize those brought as children to the US? If what u said here is true, why didn't they just apply for Citizenship n forget about Trump? You people who have he never seen or been to Cotonou talking here like experts on US matters, hmmm.. na WA ooo

Guy, why you mumu like dis na? Are we talking about illegal aliens? Obviously, if you came in illegally, the law does not apply to you. And bros, I am an expert on US matters as you call it.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by Ishilove: 12:02pm On Jan 21, 2018
oyb:

i see you have not been formally introduced to our resident grammar nazi

you hear that rumbling sound . . .that is the erm aftershock of ishi's orgasm as she corrects your gbaun gbaun

please continue. you and other tabon tabon ers are erm doing the lords works

Buhahahahahahahahahahah! You ehn! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by AngelicBeing: 12:22pm On Jan 21, 2018
majekdom2:
A lizard in Nigeria cannot become a crocodile overseas. The world is in "turmoil" and solutions to problems is what the world is looking for. If you can't be part of the solution, you will remain at the lowest level of the economy wherever you find yourself.
cool

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by maternal: 12:43pm On Jan 21, 2018
ken1982:
Once I get yankee or Canada papers I'm going to work hard over there to earn money which I will invest in Nigeria. Nigeria is messed but you're never an alien in Nigeria. And that is really why people come back after making money. Living abroad is like living in a hotel ...it never really feels like home...where you can see Ur neighbor and shout hey oloriburuku how far

They're only "coming back" to exploit. If they can't or when they're done exploiting, they'll leave.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by ShawttySoFyne(f): 12:55pm On Jan 21, 2018
bettercreature:
You better return before it’s too late for you,We make it big in Nigeria if we really want to make it unlike Uk where you will continue to eat loaf of bread forever
This country is filled with opportunities,but the elite run the show. If you want to get a MEANINGFUL job, win MASSIVE contracts, you have to be part of them. They want to know who you are, who your father is, which university outside the country is your alma mata. Your profile basically.
There are those who have gotten great jobs and massive contracts as nobodies or without any connections, but the possibility of an outsider getting in is a single digit %. As the country gets tougher and harder, the rich tighten the nozzle and opportunities become more scarce for those outside their circle.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by claremont(m): 1:00pm On Jan 21, 2018
Bollinger:

Bro, the latino is s.tupid. By law, if you've lived in the U.S for 5 years, you can apply for full citizenship. So, who's fault is it? And there's nothing like 3rd class citizen. You are what you make of it in America.

No such law exists. The current law for naturalization stipulates 5 year residency requirement for holders of permanent residence cards, the only exception were this is waived to a 1 and 3 year residency is for those who join the US military, or get married for citizenship respectively. Your statement implies that international students (and other legal migrants) who live in the US legally for 5 years can apply for full citizenship, this is false.

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by Bollinger(m): 1:03pm On Jan 21, 2018
claremont:

No such law exists. The current law for naturalization stipulates 5 year residency requirement for holders of permanent residence cards, the only exception were this is waived to a 1 year residency is for those who join the US military for citizenship. Your statement implies that international students (and other legal migrants) who live in the US legally for 5 years can apply for full citizenship, this is false.

Again, i was under the impression that we were talking about legal residents. And it's not a years residency if you are military. It is as soon as you join the military. Which means if you arrive the U.S today and enlist today, you can be a citizen in a month of arriving the U.S.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by AngelicBeing: 1:20pm On Jan 21, 2018
maternal:

They're only "coming back" to exploit. If they can't or when they're done exploiting, they'll leave.
cool grin
Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by Sharonose: 1:24pm On Jan 21, 2018
toyetade:

The story has a wrong title. Those interviewed are exceptions. People who cannot break into the system. What will be the motivation for coming back to Nigeria now from UK. Can't find any single one.
thanks jor....my family friend was working and creating a decent future for himself in uk...but he always wanted to come back to naija because of the naija Instagram slayer he was seeing'he wanted to come slay too in naija...just 2weeks of arrival,he died of food poison..still can't get over it ..

7 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by Godson201333(m): 1:34pm On Jan 21, 2018
Bollinger:

The first rule of a discourse is the foundation has to be based on logic. Is it logical to let a person stay in a country when they came in illegally? Answer that.

How does your question relate to my response based on what you posted earlier?

(Bro, the latino is s.tupid. By law, if you've lived in the U.S for 5 years, you can apply for full citizenship. So, who's fault is it? And there's nothing like 3rd class citizen. You are what you make of it in America.)??
Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by Bollinger(m): 1:39pm On Jan 21, 2018
Godson201333:

How does your question relate to my response based on what you posted earlier?

(Bro, the latino is s.tupid. By law, if you've lived in the U.S for 5 years, you can apply for full citizenship. So, who's fault is it? And there's nothing like 3rd class citizen. You are what you make of it in America.)??

Here's how it does. My initial response is based on the fact that i believed that the latino in question came to the U.S legally. Obviously, an illegal immigrant cannot apply for full citizenship.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by bedspread: 1:48pm On Jan 21, 2018
majekdom2:
A lizard in Nigeria cannot become a crocodile overseas. The world is in "turmoil" and solutions to problems is what the world is looking for. If you can't be part of the solution, you will remain at the lowest level of the economy wherever you find yourself.
THE PEACE OF THE WORLD IS IN RETURNING TO GOD AND OBEY HIS COMMANDMENTS.... OUTSIDE THAT THERE IS NO PEACE
Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by Godson201333(m): 1:56pm On Jan 21, 2018
Bollinger:

Here's how it does. My initial response is based on the fact that i believed that the latino in question came to the U.S legally. Obviously, an illegal immigrant cannot apply for full citizenship.

Your arguments are contradicting bro...How can someone be in country legally and still be faced with Deportation threat, based on staying in USA unlawfully?most of the latinos entered illegally and same reason why Donald trump is cancelling the DACA program.No country grant you legal stay based on merit rather you need to perfect your paperwork.Even those who qualified for the DACA program are not allowed to have free movement abroad and also not allowed to get legal stay,even though many have been in USA for more than 10 years.They were only protected from deportation and could also work....So living in a country for many years or even working will never award you a permanent stay rather you gotta make sure you do the right thing...That is the reason why over 12 Million people live in the USA with no proper documentation.

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by Bollinger(m): 2:01pm On Jan 21, 2018
Godson201333:

Your arguments are contradicting bro...How can someone be in country legally and still be faced with Deportation thread based on staying in USA unlawfully?

I already told you. I am an expert when it comes to this subject. You can come to the U.S legally with a green card and still face deportation. A green card has an expiration date. If your green card expires and you are not a citizen yet, you've just opened the door for deportation. You're welcome.

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by Godson201333(m): 2:16pm On Jan 21, 2018
Bollinger:

I already told you. I am an expert in U.S immigration. You can come to the U.S legally with a green card and still face deportation. A green card has an expiration date. If your green card expires and you are not a citizen yet, you've just opened the door for deportation. You're welcome.

(Imagine what US is currently doing to pple, notwithstanding they ve lived all their lives over there. Recently, a Latino was deported back to his country after living in the USA for more than 30yrs.)

The above highlighted point is what triggered argument.As long as it remain unknown, the reason why the guy got deported,We've got no reason to argue.
Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by Bollinger(m): 2:17pm On Jan 21, 2018
Godson201333:

(Imagine what US is currently doing to pple, notwithstanding they ve lived all their lives over there. Recently, a Latino was deported back to his country after living in the USA for more than 30yrs.)

The above highlighted point is what triggered argument.As long as it remain unknown, the reason why the guy got deported,We've got no reason to argue.

Lol....
Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jan 21, 2018
bedspread:
THE PEACE OF THE WORLD IS IN RETURNING TO GOD AND OBEY HIS COMMANDMENTS.... OUTSIDE THAT THERE IS NO PEACE
the peace of the world has always been with God. Just like the days of the Israelites, the world has let this peace they have enjoyed distract them from acknowledging God and doing what pleases him. Howbeit, what ears have not heard or eyes seen are the things God has prepared for those that love him even in this age.
Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by brownlord: 4:03pm On Jan 21, 2018
IdeyFindWife:

This is what day-dreamers don't know before they take the leap.

Except you're able to carve a unique niche for yourself or demonstrate a high degree of excellence at redefining erstwhile nominal products, goods & services, with some fairly robust capital base at hand to handle all overheads and even contingencies; you may find "making it big" becoming a tenuously slow climb, uphill!

There is no arguing the fact that it is extremely easy to make it in Nigeria with the country's banana republic indices. folks traveling out are not stupid but it's all about the Benns, ur competitive advantage and the strategic advantage that you gain from having been around the world not just sitting here doing the same old, same old crap with them home-based lots.

What are we even arguing sef? Just how many of our current leaders were only all 100%home-grown? From pre-independence Nigeria, the Azikwes, the Awolowos, the Tafawa Balewas even presently serving PMB and it's not hard to figure out. There's a lot of money ti be made and relevance to be gained from assisting, importing or catalyzing refined ideas, goods, services or practices from more advanced societies to lesser developed ones.

Broaden your perspectives man. Just how hard is it to "make it" as a legal immigrant in US? Entry level requirement is quite low. Once you can keep ur job, pay your bills/taxes, fly under the radar and stay off illegalities and stupid expenses.
Mind you, the "making it" has levels, what you'll get from all stated above will allow you to flaunt and floss a bit on peeps back home, in the village!
It's not such a big deal anymore, even you yourself, could try getting out and seeing a bit of the world some time. What you'll find will amaze you.

How did you figure I haven’t seen a bit of the world from that post?
Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by ken1982: 5:05pm On Jan 21, 2018
maternal:

what is in Nigeria to exploit

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by ken1982: 5:11pm On Jan 21, 2018
Bollinger:

Again, i was under the impression that we were talking about legal residents. And it's not a years residency if you are military. It is as soon as you join the military. Which means if you arrive the U.S today and enlist today, you can be a citizen in a month of arriving the U.S.
can you apply to join military with visit visa
Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by ken1982: 5:12pm On Jan 21, 2018
Bollinger:

I already told you. I am an expert when it comes to this subject. You can come to the U.S legally with a green card and still face deportation. A green card has an expiration date. If your green card expires and you are not a citizen yet, you've just opened the door for deportation. You're welcome.
can you explain this. If your green card expires what will you do to renew it
Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by Bollinger(m): 5:26pm On Jan 21, 2018
ken1982:
can you explain this. If your green card expires what will you do to renew it

You must prove why it is not your fault in the first place. But why wait 14 years to get a citizenship you are entitled to?

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by Bollinger(m): 5:29pm On Jan 21, 2018
ken1982:
can you apply to join military with visit visa

As a Nigerian, it depends if you can speak the three major languages in nigeria. I don't know about visit visa but students who yoruba, igbo or hausa.
Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by ken1982: 5:43pm On Jan 21, 2018
Bollinger:

You must prove why it is not your fault in the first place. But why wait 14 years to get a citizenship you are entitled to?
how many years is a great card valid
Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by ken1982: 5:43pm On Jan 21, 2018
Bollinger:

As a Nigerian, it depends if you can speak the three major languages in nigeria. I don't know about visit visa but students who yoruba, igbo or hausa.
ok
Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by Bollinger(m): 5:57pm On Jan 21, 2018
ken1982:
how many years is a great card valid

I can't remember but I think it is 14 years.
Re: Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home by ken1982: 6:45pm On Jan 21, 2018
Bollinger:

I can't remember but I think it is 14 years.
ok. Is it the same as employment visa

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Shows Impressive Transformation Years After He Relocated Abroad / The Strid At Bolton Abbey In UK Is One Of The World Most Dangerous Places (Pix) / Lockdown: 3rd Mainland Bridge Today's Morning (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.