Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,881 members, 7,802,845 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:08 PM

Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele (19623 Views)

Argentinian Man Kidnapped By Nigerian Bandits Was Saved By Calling Lionel Messi / Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Player Ever? / Who Is The Greatest Player To Ever Grace African Football: Weah Or Eto'o? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by omar22(m): 7:28am On Apr 16, 2010
Where does one even start to address all these? I doubt that you know much about football.

Its the truth
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by Nobody: 8:10am On Apr 16, 2010
dayokanu:

What trophies did Johann Cryuff win for Holland to be named Europes best for Last century. Same with Eusebio, George Best etc
What kind of question is that?
Cruyff:3 consecutive European Cups (71-73) Ballon D'Or 3 times(71,73,74) Best Player of 1974 World Cup held in your Germany.
Isn't that enough?Aside from Beckenbauer,I doubt any Eurpoean player has that kind of resume.
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by Nobody: 8:42am On Apr 16, 2010
@DK,
None of Cruyff,Eusebio and Best are regarded as Best ever.
I'm not limiting this to Europe alone.
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by omar22(m): 10:11am On Apr 16, 2010
What trophies did Johann Cryuff win for Holland to be named Europes best for Last century. Same with Eusebio, George Best etc

I thought that title went to Zinedine Zidane
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by dayokanu(m): 1:46pm On Apr 16, 2010
What kind of question is that?
Cruyff:3 consecutive European Cups (71-73) Ballon D'Or 3 times(71,73,74) Best Player of 1974 World Cup held in your Germany.

Bottom line, He never won anything for Holland, So Messi doesnt need to win anything for Argentina to be termed best

I thought that title went to Zinedine Zidane

The century that ended in 1999, Zidane wasnt even at his peak then and many ppl even thought Del Piero was better than him at that point.
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by paddyman(m): 1:57pm On Apr 16, 2010
Messi still has a long way to go for that title. Maybe in few years time when he reaches his prime. Only 133 goals so far is still way off to being the greatest.
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by Nobody: 2:09pm On Apr 16, 2010
dayokanu:

Bottom line, He never won anything for Holland, So Messi doesnt need to win anything for Argentina to be termed best
When Maradona exists?C'mon,DK.
As long as he doesn't equal Maradona on that World Cup win,especially since Maradona almost single-handedly won the world cup,he can't be termed the best.
To an extent,I might agree with you about not winning anything,based on your example.But Cruyff played only one World Cup.Besides,he was by and large the best player in the 70s.Still don't think Messi is anywhere that level.Not to talk of being the best of all time.
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by omar22(m): 3:18pm On Apr 16, 2010
The century that ended in 1999, Zidane wasnt even at his peak then and many ppl even thought Del Piero was better than him at that point.

Zidane was voted the best European player EVER!!!
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by tkb417(m): 6:23pm On Apr 16, 2010
it defies all logic to think Messi can be called the greatest player ever

are these people for real?

he is the best player ever for playing good football for just 5 years

LOL!

aswerigad, this is hilarious
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by dayokanu(m): 6:40pm On Apr 16, 2010
When Maradona exists?C'mon,DK.
As long as he doesn't equal Maradona on that World Cup win,especially since Maradona almost single-handedly won the world cup,he can't be termed the best.

I still think Maradona is the best footballer followed by Zidane, Ronaldo, PELE, Cryuff and Ronaldinho in that order

I am not taking all those Thunder balogun tales by Pele.

To an extent,I might agree with you about not winning anything,based on your example.But Cruyff played only one World Cup.Besides,he was by and large the best player in the 70s.Still don't think Messi is anywhere that level.Not to talk of being the best of all time.

Cryuff, No world cup, No Euro cup yet he was the best for last century. CL trophies, Messi has won 2 and on the way to the 3rd, Ballon D'Or and FIFA player he has already won

Zidane was voted the best European player EVER!!!

Gogle European player of the century or lemme help you

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-21431137.html

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/iffhs-century.html#eupoy
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by Katsumoto: 7:07pm On Apr 16, 2010
dayokanu:

I still think Maradona is the best footballer followed by Zidane, Ronaldo, PELE, Cryuff and Ronaldinho in that order

I am not taking all those Thunder balogun tales by Pele.

Cryuff, No world cup, No Euro cup yet he was the best for last century. CL trophies, Messi has won 2 and on the way to the 3rd, Ballon D'Or and FIFA player he has already won

Gogle European player of the century or lemme help you

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-21431137.html

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/iffhs-century.html#eupoy

It is ironic that you can use one poll to support your argument but ignore the same poll which does not supportt your original argument. For the benfit of others, here is the poll for player of the century.

World - Player of the Century

1."Pelé" (Brazil) 1705 (Edson Arantes do Nascimento)
2.Johan Cruijff (Netherlands) 1303
3.Franz Beckenbauer (Germany) 1228
4.Alfredo di Stéfano (Argentina) 1215
5.Diego Armando Maradona (Argentina) 1214
6.Ferenc Puskás (Hungary) 810
7.Michel Platini (France) 722
8.Garrincha (Brazil) 624 (Manoel dos Santos Garrincha)
9.Eusébio (Portugal) 544 (Eusébio Ferreira da Silva)
10.Robert Charlton (England) 508
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by lawrytee(m): 10:48pm On Apr 16, 2010
Pele or whatever they call u should just shut his mouth.We are talking about football of the 21st century.football has changed from what it was in Pele's days.
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by Mruzoh1: 12:10am On Apr 17, 2010
I cant imagine you guys comparing messi to PELLE,

Am even short of words to express my feelings right now.

Messi is just a kid, with the trend of football now, messi
can never do what the Almighty PELLE did.

He has not even done anything for his national team and you're
comparing him to a man that won the world cup thrice.

I guess I should call those that are comparing little messi to
Incredible PELLE novice or at worst fools or bad belle.
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by Mruzoh1: 12:18am On Apr 17, 2010
Am not even through with those fools yet.

Do you know what it means to be ranked highest in the world?

No matter what the achievement is.

PELLE is only speaking like a father will speak to his son.

Ok, now answer this

Where is Ronaldinho after making waves.

I dont even think mercy has done what Ronaldinho did.

Praising mercy now is fucking too early.

Lets watch and see, we shall come back here to say good
or bad about him again, maybe in two or three years to come.

I wish I can close this topic, Its annoying.
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by Nobody: 11:02am On Apr 17, 2010
@DK,
So by your logic,thunder balogun and co didn't play football,abi?
So by Your logic,Bayern has only ONE european title,since they won three European titles during the Thunder Balogun phase 74-76 when even you and I were not born yet.
We cannot discard the past;whether we like it or not.Pele was the biggest in his era.I still think it's a lot easier to play now than then.
As for Messi's titles,
He hasn't been MVP of a World Cup/Copa America.That's another big title we tend to overlook.And for him to be considered än all-time great,he needs to perform on the international stage.Cruyff did.Which is all I've been saying all this while
Cruyff,technically on the pitch was miles ahead of Messi.Ask about the Cruyff turn,this one no be thunder balogun tale.It's on You-Tube.He was so good,a move had to be named after him/he perfected a move.Messi looks good largely in part because he has a midfield of Xavi/Iniesta to create space for him.Not taking anything away from him,by far he's the best in the world right now.But we see him struggle when he plays for Argentina and we wonder how he does it for Barca.
Leave Pele out of this:The nutshell of Pele's statement is that Messi has to make his mark to be considered G.O.A.T.I don't think he's done enough yet to merit that.
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by Katsumoto: 11:05am On Apr 17, 2010
Eastbay:

@DK,
So by your logic,thunder balogun and co didn't play football,abi?
So by Your logic,Bayern has only ONE european title,since they won three European titles during the Thunder Balogun phase 74-76 when even you and I were not born yet.
We cannot discard the past;whether we like it or not.Pele was the biggest in his era.I still think it's a lot easier to play now than then.
As for Messi's titles,
He hasn't been MVP of a World Cup/Copa America.That's another big title we tend to overlook.And for him to be considered än all-time great,he needs to perform on the international stage.Cruyff did.Which is all I've been saying all this while
Cruyff,technically on the pitch was miles ahead of Messi.Ask about the Cruyff turn,this one no be thunder balogun tale.It's on You-Tube.He was so good,a move had to be named after him/he perfected a move.Messi looks good largely in part because he has a midfield of Xavi/Iniesta to create space for him.Not taking anything away from him,by far he's the best in the world right now.But we see him struggle when he plays for Argentina and we wonder how he does it for Barca.
Leave Pele out of this:The nutshell of Pele's statement is that Messi has to make his mark to be considered G.O.A.T.I don't think he's done enough yet to merit that.

Correct
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by silvernice(m): 11:57am On Apr 17, 2010
is the champions league greater than the world cup?let lionel messi win at least a world cup before you start comparin him wit father pele. or rather let him leave barcelona and join the EPL and see if he can do anythin without xavi.messi is still young.please let's give him more years and stop all dis noise.he might loose his form along the line we can't say. remember the law of diminishing returns.
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by dejahvu(m): 1:05pm On Apr 19, 2010
Zinedine Zidane and Ronaldo de Lima are greatest of all time,
Zidane won all major titles he played in,
He took france to all finals except Euro 96 and korea 2009 which he was injured,
lasted for years in the game,
Ronaldo equalled,
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by thinkuno: 1:48pm On Apr 19, 2010
MESSI is not all time best for now but i believe if nothing happens to him, he will end up as all time best.
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by sim1050: 1:56pm On Apr 20, 2010
www.greatbooks.350.com
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by jokingmary(m): 2:40pm On Apr 20, 2010
Pele should stop being jeolous
besides his days of fame are over
Sorry, but who is Pele (serious)
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by vislabraye(m): 12:10pm On Apr 26, 2010
Messi career is still young. It is assumed that at this rate he's going, if he's consistent he could be one of the greatest legends. But it's too early to judge.

Besides that, i'll rate Ronaldo Da Lima, ZiZou and Dinho ahead of Messi or probably over Pele.
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by VALIDATOR: 3:40pm On Jul 15, 2010
I just think it will be good to look back at our statements now that the world cup is over and we have seen Messi's performance on the world stage.

Those of you supporting Messi:
Do you still think he is the greatest ever footballer?

IMO,he is not even near it yet.
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jul 15, 2010
2 world cups one goal for messi nawa o. May be by 2022 he would have scored 15 goals like Ronaldo
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by chelseabmw(m): 10:29pm On Jul 15, 2010
Messi is still the best
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by mamagee3(f): 12:15am On Jul 16, 2010
^^He's the best this season. . .that doesn't make him legendary.
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by Iyineda(m): 11:52am On Jul 16, 2010
Katsumoto:

It is ironic that you can use one poll to support your argument but ignore the same poll which does not supportt your original argument. For the benfit of others, here is the poll for player of the century.

World - Player of the Century

1."Pelé" (Brazil) 1705 (Edson Arantes do Nascimento)
2.Johan Cruijff (Netherlands) 1303
3.Franz Beckenbauer (Germany) 1228
4.Alfredo di Stéfano (Argentina) 1215
5.Diego Armando Maradona (Argentina) 1214
6.Ferenc Puskás (Hungary) 810
7.Michel Platini (France) 722
8.Garrincha (Brazil) 624 (Manoel dos Santos Garrincha)
9.Eusébio (Portugal) 544 (Eusébio Ferreira da Silva)
10.Robert Charlton (England) 508

This would be my list:

1. Pele
2. Maradona
3. Zidane
4. Beckenbauer
5. Cruijff
6. Ronaldo (Lima)
7. Platini
8. Di Stéfano
9. Puskás
10. Eusébio

By the end of his career, Lionel Messi will be in the top 5 of this list. Cristiano Ronaldo would be lucky to make the top 20 list.
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by chelseabmw(m): 8:24pm On Jul 16, 2010
messi will soon be a legend
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by mamagee3(f): 8:57pm On Jul 16, 2010
chelseabmw:

messi will soon be a legend
Messi would be a legend when he learns how to play without Xavi and iniesta.

And show his worth outside Barcelona. wink

Iyineda:

By the end of his career, Lionel Messi will be in the top 5 of this list. Cristiano Ronaldo would be lucky to make the top 20 list.
In your dreams. . .

Johan Cryuff himself said Cristiano ronaldo is better than him, 5 years from now Messi would be ignored as one of the top 5 best players in the world.
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by dayokanu(m): 9:30pm On Jul 16, 2010
Mamagee
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by mamagee3(f): 11:35pm On Jul 16, 2010
^^How can I help you? cool cool
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by chelseabmw(m): 8:36pm On Jul 17, 2010
Messi would be a legend when he learns how to play without Xavi and iniesta.

Now i know u didn't watch the world cup.u where being distracted by 190 i guess embarassed messi had his best performance for this year at the world cup.he was just unstoppable

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Mikel, Moses And Omeruo Must Move From Chelsea / WCQ: Mido Wants Nigeria, Egypt Pairing / Oluwatobiloba Amusan Wins Commonwealth 100m Hurdles Women Gold For Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.