Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,582 members, 7,809,113 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:35 PM

Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings (95396 Views)

Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost / 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings / Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 5:07pm On Feb 01, 2018
Baaballiyo:

Thanks for calling me to this thread, actually I don't know how 'Garba' came to be, some even call it 'Garbaati'. But wud try and see if I can find out something about it.

Thanks.
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by jiddama(f): 3:38pm On Feb 02, 2018
This is very informative @op could you possibly make a compilation of kanuri native names Our culture is gradually fading out ......

1 Like

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Fulaman198(m): 5:04pm On Feb 02, 2018
jiddama:
This is very informative
@op could you possibly make a compilation of kanuri native names
Our culture is gradually fading out ......

Only in Nigeria, not in Niger republic and Chad.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 5:19pm On Feb 02, 2018
Fulaman198:

I think even in Nigeria you'd find that kanuris and north easterners in general are very proud of their culture. The downside being theres a very tribalistic element amongst you lot and I'm sure you can confirm. Usually in the northwest we just ask which state a person is from and generally don't care about other labels, but from personal experience and observations I noticed ethnicity is always the question in the north east.

So I guess there's a positive and negative element to it but overall I think their culture is intact. I can remember a friend showing me an invigilators list for his exam and I was surprised at some of the names because they sounded alien to, he confirmed that these were kanuri names. Him being from the north east as well had to throw a few shades about them and their character in there so am I wrong in assuming this?

1 Like

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Fulaman198(m): 5:34pm On Feb 02, 2018
DevdanSanguine:

I think even in Nigeria you'd find that kanuris and north easterners in general are very proud of their culture. The downside being theres a very tribalistic element amongst you lot and I'm sure you can confirm. Usually in the northwest we just ask which state a person is from and general don't care about other labels, but from personal experience and observations I noticed ethnicity is always the question.

So I guess there's a positive and negative element to it but overall I think their culture is intact. I can remember a friend showing me an invigilators list for his exam and I was surprised at some of the names because they sounded alien to, he confirmed that these were kanuri names. Him being from the north east as well had to through a few shades about them and their character in there so am I wrong in assuming this?

You are not necessarily wrong, people are definitely more aware of whom they are in the Northeast. Majority groups like the Fulani and Kanuri, then smaller groups like the Budduma, Marghi or Margi, Jukun, Bute/Vute, Shuwa, etc etc, are familiar with themselves.

There is also a bit of a rivalry (albeit friendly) between the Kanuri And Fulani. But no, you are not wrong. The Northwest seems more unified whereas the Northeast us more diverse and a bit more segregated.
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by jiddama(f): 5:35pm On Feb 02, 2018
Fulaman198:

True...but given the mass exodus of indigenous kanuri from borno state (2007-to date) due to security challenges has put the culture and language at risk....
I cringe to think of what future generations of kanuri would be....if no effort is being done to preserve our culture.....
As saying goes "kowa ya bar gida ,gida ya barshi"
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by jiddama(f): 5:43pm On Feb 02, 2018
DevdanSanguine:

I think even in Nigeria you'd find that kanuris and north easterners in general are very proud of their culture. The downside being theres a very tribalistic element amongst you lot and I'm sure you can confirm. Usually in the northwest we just ask which state a person is from and general don't care about other labels, but from personal experience and observations I noticed ethnicity is always the question.

So I guess there's a positive and negative element to it but overall I think their culture is intact. I can remember a friend showing me an invigilators list for his exam and I was surprised at some of the names because they sounded alien to, he confirmed that these were kanuri names. Him being from the north east as well had to through a few shades about them and their character in there so am I wrong in assuming this?

North Eastern Nigeria is a beautiful , rich diverse area of the north.....the pride in culture comes from the fact that predominant Hausa culture is widely practiced (up north) ,so take little pleasures in celebrating their own.....though it sometimes comes off as racism/arrogance.
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Fulaman198(m): 6:02pm On Feb 02, 2018
jiddama:

True...but given the mass exodus of indigenous kanuri from borno state (2007-to date) due to security challenges has put the culture and language at risk....
I cringe to think of what future generations of kanuri would be....if no effort is being done to preserve our culture.....
As saying goes "kowa ya bar gida ,gida ya barshi"

Can you say that in Kanuri?
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by JikanBaura(m): 6:06pm On Feb 02, 2018
Baaballiyo:

Thanks for calling me to this thread, actually I don't know how 'Garba' came to be, some even call it 'Garbaati'. But wud try and see if I can find out something about it.

From what i know Garba is a Hausa name given to male child who is named Abubakar.

Bukar, Bubakar , Bakar ,Bakari, Garbaati, Garba all are the hausa version of Abubakar. all the people that carried the above names , You will notice Abubakar is their Islamic name.

Buba a femouse fulani name is also drive from abubakar.
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by jiddama(f): 6:16pm On Feb 02, 2018
Fulaman198:

Can you say that in Kanuri?
Unfortunately no, i'm kanuri /hausa and I grew up between Kaduna and kano....so I lost touch with the language...hence my genuine fear for the kanuri culture

1 Like

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 2:30am On Feb 03, 2018
JikanBaura:

From what i know Garba is a Hausa name given to male child who is named Abubakar.

Bukar, Bubakar , Bakar ,Bakari, Garbaati, Garba all are the hausa version of Abubakar. all the people that carried the above names , You will notice Abubakar is their Islamic name.

The question was why people called Abu bakr are called Garba if you care to elaborate?
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 2:36am On Feb 03, 2018
Fulaman198:

You are not necessarily wrong, people are definitely more aware of whom they are in the Northeast. Majority groups like the Fulani and Kanuri, then smaller groups like the Budduma, Marghi or Margi, Jukun, Bute/Vute, Shuwa, etc etc, are familiar with themselves.

There is also a bit of a rivalry (albeit friendly) between the Kanuri And Fulani. But no, you are not wrong. The Northwest seems more unified whereas the Northeast us more diverse and a bit more segregated.

Well I definitely like the fact that these cultures and identities are maintained so as long as there isn't any real negative sentiment towards each other this is definitely a good thing. I grew up believing in the unity of the north and I'd hate to think that we have lines we may start dividing ourselves especially given the unknown future of this country.
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 2:36am On Feb 03, 2018
jiddama:

North Eastern Nigeria is a beautiful , rich diverse area of the north.....the pride in culture comes from the fact that predominant Hausa culture is widely practiced (up north) ,so take little pleasures in celebrating their own.....though it sometimes comes off as racism/arrogance.

Well as long as it is not truly that then it's pretty swell this pride in culture.
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Fulaman198(m): 2:32am On Feb 04, 2018
DevdanSanguine:

Well I definitely like the fact that these cultures and identities and maintained so as long as they isn't any real negative sentiment towards each other this is definitely a good thing. I grew up believing in the unity of the north and I'd hate to think that we have lines we may start dividing ourselves especially given the unknown future of this country.

I also want unity for the entire North, but I would like Unity for the entire nation as well. It is mainly our leaders that are causing the segregation amongst ourselves and inciting ethnic bigotry. Some groups that are located in the South (not going to mention the particular group) seems to be very anti-North online based on what I have seen.

For the nation to be completely united, we need to get rid of useless and corrupt leaders that seemingly like to divert attention away from themselves and divert said attention to other ethnic groups, so that they can embezzle and steal money secretly/privately.

2 Likes

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 6:36am On Feb 04, 2018
Fulaman198:

I also want unity for the entire North, but I would like Unity for the entire nation as well. It is mainly our leaders that are causing the segregation amongst ourselves and inciting ethnic bigotry. Some groups that are located in the South (not going to mention the particular group) seems to be very anti-North online based on what I have seen.

For the nation to be completely united, we need to get rid of useless and corrupt leaders that seemingly like to divert attention away from themselves and divert said attention to other ethnic groups, so that they can embezzle and steal money secretly/privately.

I like your optimism. Though I agree the politicians have a role, I've always felt Nigerian unity is too much of a daunting task to achieve. Take Nigeria out of the equation and just put the people on the table, you'd find that you have a very non complimentary meal. Leaders can only fan flames where ignition is possible so even though they rabble rouse the issue, it's not entirely their fault.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Baaballiyo(m): 11:55pm On Feb 04, 2018
JikanBaura:

Yes that's right, but we're trying to establish the reason why Abubakar is called Garba, bc as u can see all the names u mentioned (wit the exception of Garba) were some how a derivative of Abubakar, u can see a direct Link btw the names and the Original name (Abubakar). But Garba has no such connection it's entirely different from the original name.
Yes the Fulani version is Buuba or Abuba.

1 Like

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by DanZubair(m): 5:59pm On Feb 05, 2018
jiddama:
This is very informative
@op could you possibly make a compilation of kanuri native names
Our culture is gradually fading out ......
Yes, but with your help.
I have that intention in mind and I am a part of them. Kanuris, Fulanis, Tuaregs, Igbos, Yorubas and other Africans
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 4:35am On Feb 07, 2018
DanZubair Baaballiyo Fulaman198 JikanBaura

Question about the Hausawi of Saudi. There is a certain black population of Saudis who carry the surname Hausawi like footballers Omar and Osama hausawi.

Saudis I have spoken to have confirmed that these people are indeed from Nigeria and I'm sure that these people are hausas.

My question is how on earth did they get their, establish themselves and even become accepted as Saudi citizens.

Are these remnants from old hajj days or are they more recent travellers or who people refer to as, and I'm not sure of this "Yan tarauni" or something like that?
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Baaballiyo(m): 3:45pm On Feb 08, 2018
DevdanSanguine:
DanZubair Baaballiyo Fulaman198 JikanBaura

Question about the Hausawi of Saudi. There is a certain black population of Saudis who carry the surname Hausawi like footballers Omar and Osama hausawi.

Saudis I have spoken to have confirmed that these people are indeed from Nigeria and I'm sure that these people are hausas.

My question is how on earth did they get their, establish themselves and even become accepted as Saudi citizens.

Are these remnants from old hajj days or are they more recent travellers or who people refer to as, and I'm not sure of this "Yan tarauni" or something like that?

Yes they're indeed of Hausa stock and most were a remnant of Old hajj and old businesses, in the days of Sardauna people of Northern Nigerian stock were highly respected by the Saudis, and can settled there easily, at that time Nigeria was wealthier than Saudi and Sardauna was highly respected and revered by the saudi Royal house. So most of them are offsprings of Hausa Business class that settled there almost a century ago. So though not Arabs they're naturalized citizens of Saudi Arabia. Some where even abled to marry into some Saudi families, and this Hausawi are mostly Rich and middle class citizens in Saudi. The yan_Tarauni are the more recent immigrants (though there are also some that are of the old stock who where not recognised by the Saudi authorities as citizens but hv a resident permit) who are either are staying illegally in the Saudi or have a residence permit, unlike the Hausawi, their offsprings are mostly referred to as 'Yan Agulla' here in Kano. And a times they got deported but they almost always find their way back.

5 Likes

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 3:52pm On Feb 08, 2018
Baaballiyo:

Yes they're indeed of Hausa stock and most were a remnant of Old hajj and old businesses, in the days of Sardauna people of Northern Nigerian stock were highly respected by the Saudis, and can settled there easily, at that time Nigeria was wealthier than Saudi and Sardauna was highly respected and revered by the saudi Royal house. So most of them are offsprings of Hausa Business class that settled there almost a century ago. So though not Arabs they're naturalized citizens of Saudi Arabia. Some where even abled to marry into some Saudi families, and this Hausawi are mostly Rich and middle class citizens in Saudi. The yan_Tarauni are the more recent immigrants (though there are also some that are of the old stock who where not recognised by the Saudi authorities as citizens but hv a resident permit) who are either are staying illegally in the Saudi or have a residence permit, unlike the Hausawi, their offsprings are mostly referred to as 'Yan Agulla' here in Kano. And a times they got deported but they almost always find their way back.

Very helpful as always. Thanks man.
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Baaballiyo(m): 4:23pm On Feb 08, 2018
DevdanSanguine:

Very helpful as always. Thanks man.

My pleasure.

1 Like

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Fulaman198(m): 10:35pm On Feb 08, 2018
Baaballiyo:

Very good information. It is also true that Saudi once respected Nigeria especially up until the 70s and early 80s (this is what my father told me). At one point, many Saudi doctors were trained by some of the best Nigerian doctors.

We were once respected, at least before I was born (which was the mid 80s). I would like to see us go back to that time when as a nation we were respected.

1 Like

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 10:37pm On Feb 08, 2018
Fulaman198:

Very good information. It is also true that Saudi once respected Nigeria especially up until the 70s and early 80s (this is what my father told me). At one point, many Saudi doctors were trained by some of the best Nigerian doctors.

We were once respected, at least before I was born (which was the mid 80s). I would like to see us go back to that time when as a nation we were respected.

Haa! Never going to happen. You've been outside Nigeria, you've seen the damage that's been done. I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Fulaman198(m): 10:43pm On Feb 08, 2018
DevdanSanguine:

Haa! Never going to happen. You've been outside Nigeria, you've seen the damage that's been done. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

If we have the mentality that it will never happen, then surely we will fall. Part of being a successful nation is being able to have hope and ambition to be great. I believe that Nigeria can be great again.

Part of the reason why I'm not an ethnic or tribal bigot is because of the fact that I spent 5 years in the United States as a student. To them, there is no such thing as Fulani, Hausa, Touareg, Igbo, Yoruba, Efik, Ibibio, Nupe, Igala, Kanuri, Marghi, etc. etc. many of them do not even realise Nigeria exists (one day I wore a football cap that said Nigeria, they thought it read "Ni99er"wink. Many of these white people see Africa as one big destitute country.

Personally for me, I will make whatever strides I can to make Nigeria #1. This should be the priority of all Nigerians in the world regardless of whom/where they are. Are you familiar with Jelani Aliyu?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 11:00pm On Feb 08, 2018
Fulaman198:

If we have the mentality that it will never happen, then surely we will fall. Part of being a successful nation is being able to have hope and ambition to be great. I believe that Nigeria can be great again.

Part of the reason why I'm not an ethnic or tribal bigot is because of the fact that I spent 5 years in the United States as a student. To them, there is no such thing as Fulani, Hausa, Touareg, Igbo, Yoruba, Efik, Ibibio, Nupe, Igala, Kanuri, Marghi, etc. etc. many of them do not even realise Nigeria exists (one day I wore a football cap that said Nigeria, they thought it read "Ni99er"wink. Many of these white people see Africa as one big destitute country.

Personally for me, I will make whatever strides I can to make Nigeria #1. This should be the priority of all Nigerians in the world regardless of whom/where they are. Are you familiar with Jelani Aliyu?

And this is precisely the problem. Call me a bigot or whatever I really don't care. We've done nothing wrong. All we've done is represent this country in the best way possible like our culture teaches us. Yet because some people we are supposed to share an identity with are hell bent on destroying the Nigerian name it's all useless, plus most of the Nigerians abroad are them so that makes us, the "good ones" minorities that some don't even know exist.

I guess they're starting to get smarter, they used to hate all Nigerians now they ask or can outright tell where your from. Personally I have never been a victim of any blatant racism here because most assume I'm not Nigerian or they know we can't all be the same and when I tell them I have never met one who wasn't surprised that I'm not a complete savage. That's how bad it is, our name is synonymous with savagery and if you look at the actions of so called "Nigerians" you can't blame them.

And do you know some of these "Nigerians" go to these countries supposedly seeking asylum from book haram?

Good luck with your 1 Nigeria agenda but I assure you it will never work. Because you have people like me who will never be forced into this identity and on their part even with their shortcomings they feel superior. I knew we were different, but I was never a bigot. Now I find this extreme hatred growing in my heart and I know it's wrong but the more I try to resist the more they keep pushing me further off the ledge. Heck where Im living now my consideration was to find somewhere secluded and expensive Nigerians can't infiltrate, little did I know this black mold has spread everywhere. Some nights I hear these bastards partying and shouting up stairs and imagine what o
the locals are thinking? I guess you're a bigger man than I am.

We can try to remain on non hostile terms but one Nigeria is an illusion that will soon disappear after the magic spell has become ineffective.

Yes I know him. Fulani man from Sokoto. Car designer for Chevy. I think the president gave him an appointment recently did he not?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Baaballiyo(m): 11:42pm On Feb 08, 2018
Fulaman198:

Nigeria was indeed respected by them a lot in those days, I heard it on good authority they even had an official mourning for the demise of Sardauna in the 60's and that of Murtala Ramat in late 70's. And there was a time when Nigeria used give some financial assistance to the Saudi Government.

There's one Dr. in Bayero University Kano Dr. Ahmad, he was originally a Ghanian, he studied in Saudi btw the 50's and 60's he said after their graduation their University in Saudia offered to retain them and they also got offer from Bayero University, and the salary page in Nigeria was two folds morethan that of the Saudi at that time, hence they decided to accept that of Bayero University.

Me too would love to have those good old days back. It's unfortunate how things fell apart for us. But I still believe that some day we would make it back, though not soon but eventually we'll.

1 Like

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Fulaman198(m): 12:22am On Feb 09, 2018
DevdanSanguine:

And this is precisely the problem. Call me a bigot or whatever I really don't care. We've done nothing wrong. All we've done is represent this country in the best way possible like our culture teaches us. Yet because some people we are supposed to share an identity with are hell bent on destroying the Nigerian name it's all useless, plus most of the Nigerians abroad are them so that makes us, the "good ones" minorities that some don't even know exist.

I guess they're starting to get smarter, they used to hate all Nigerians now they ask or can outright tell where your from. Personally I have never been a victim of any blatant racism here because most assume I'm not Nigerian or they know we can't all be the same and when I tell them I have never met one who wasn't surprised that I'm not a complete savage. That's how bad it is, our name is synonymous with savagery and if you look at the actions of so called "Nigerians" you can't blame them.

And do you know some of these "Nigerians" go to these countries supposedly seeking asylum from book haram?

Good luck with your 1 Nigeria agenda but I assure you it will never work. Because you have people like me who will never be forced into this identity and on their part even with their shortcomings they feel superior. I knew we were different, but I was never a bigot. Now I find this extreme hatred growing in my heart and I know it's wrong but the more I try to resist the more they keep pushing me further off the ledge. Heck where Im living now my consideration was to find somewhere secluded and expensive Nigerians can't infiltrate, little did I know this black mold has spread everywhere. Some nights I hear these bastards partying and shouting up stairs and imagine what o
the locals are thinking? I guess you're a bigger man than I am.

We can try to remain on non hostile terms but one Nigeria is an illusion that will soon disappear after the magic spell has become ineffective.

Yes I know him. Fulani man from Sokoto. Car designer for Chevy. I think the president gave him an appointment recently did he not?

I don't necessarily see you as an ethnic/tribal bigot to be honest. I have seen a lot of that on Nairaland and you don't seem to fit the role/description of an ethnic bigot. I was not talking about/referring to you if you think that by the way. Most of the people I see being bigots on this forum are from one ethnic group in Particular which I won't mention since it goes against the rules, but I believe you know whom I am referring to.

Yes, there are "Nigerians" hellbent on destroying the Nigerian name, but like Jelani Aliyu said in an interview, he said that the good Nigerians do more than outweighs the bad. Everywhere you go in this world, there are good and bad. I have never been to a country where it is just good the entire time, and for me personally, there is no place as good/great as Nigeria.

Do you currently live in Nigeria? I think I recall you mentioning that you are currently studying in the Middle East, please correct me if I'm wrong. Another thing I wanted to add, is that there is no such thing as looking "Nigerian". Sure, there are stereotypes on how a Nigerian is "supposed to look" but there are many a Nigerian that do not fit said stereotype or phenotype. Remember, Nigeria is the most diverse country in ALL of Africa. We have Touaregs, Fulbe, Hausawa, Kanuri, Marghi, Budduma, Igbo, Yoruba, Tiv, Efik, Nupe, Igala, Zarma/Songhai, etc. etc. There are over 250 ethnic groups in this beautiful country.

With that said, I believe that we should all follow Jelani's model. He himself after extensive travel sees Nigeria as one. He came back to Nigeria after being a huge success at Chevy in order to help with the progression of the nation at least in the auto industry.

Instead of wishing the worst for this country (I'm not saying you are keep this in mind). What we should be doing is talking about how to make the nation a better place for everybody, and how to get rid of those that wish it ill will. You have to remember that our leaders in the North are not doing a good job at all. If the aim for Nigeria is it to become a national powerhouse from an economical, educational, and developmental point of view, becoming split apart like Sudan and South Sudan did is not the way to go. There are many Westerners that want to see a black nation fall.

4 Likes

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Fulaman198(m): 12:24am On Feb 09, 2018
Baaballiyo:

Nigeria was indeed respected by them a lot in those days, I heard it on good authority they even had an official mourning for the demise of Sardauna in the 60's and that of Murtala Ramat in late 70's. And there was a time when Nigeria used give some financial assistance to the Saudi Government.

There's one Dr. in Bayero University Kano Dr. Ahmad, he was originally a Ghanian, he studied in Saudi btw the 50's and 60's he said after their graduation their University in Saudia offered to retain them and they also got offer from Bayero University, and the salary page in Nigeria was two folds morethan that of the Saudi at that time, hence they decided to accept that of Bayero University.

Me too would love to have those good old days back. It's unfortunate how things fell apart for us. But I still believe that some day we would make it back, though not soon but eventually we'll.

It may be sooner than you think if we can all come together instead of being divisive all the time. Being divisive is not in our interests, it only weakens us as a nation. Corruption is a HUGE problem that leaders in the North and South are both guilty of. Something that we must address! One thing we must remember is that no man/woman is better than anyone else.

It's not fair when someone lives in luxury and another person must struggle with barely anything to eat. Something must be done to address the huge gap between rich and poor in this nation Walahi!

1 Like

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 3:43am On Feb 09, 2018
Fulaman198:

I don't necessarily see you as an ethnic/tribal bigot to be honest. I have seen a lot of that on Nairaland and you don't seem to fit the role/description of an ethnic bigot. I was not talking about/referring to you if you think that by the way. Most of the people I see being bigots on this forum are from one ethnic group in Particular which I won't mention since it goes against the rules, but I believe you know whom I am referring to.

Yes, there are "Nigerians" hellbent on destroying the Nigerian name, but like Jelani Aliyu said in an interview, he said that the good Nigerians do more than outweighs the bad. Everywhere you go in this world, there are good and bad. I have never been to a country where it is just good the entire time, and for me personally, there is no place as good/great as Nigeria.

Do you currently live in Nigeria? I think I recall you mentioning that you are currently studying in the Middle East, please correct me if I'm wrong. Another thing I wanted to add, is that there is no such thing as looking "Nigerian". Sure, there are stereotypes on how a Nigerian is "supposed to look" but there are many a Nigerian that do not fit said stereotype or phenotype. Remember, Nigeria is the most diverse country in ALL of Africa. We have Touaregs, Fulbe, Hausawa, Kanuri, Marghi, Budduma, Igbo, Yoruba, Tiv, Efik, Nupe, Igala, Zarma/Songhai, etc. etc. There are over 250 ethnic groups in this beautiful country.

With that said, I believe that we should all follow Jelani's model. He himself after extensive travel sees Nigeria as one. He came back to Nigeria after being a huge success at Chevy in order to help with the progression of the nation at least in the auto industry.

Instead of wishing the worst for this country (I'm not saying you are keep this in mind). What we should be doing is talking about how to make the nation a better place for everybody, and how to get rid of those that wish it ill will. You have to remember that our leaders in the North are not doing a good job at all. If the aim for Nigeria is it to become a national powerhouse from an economical, educational, and developmental point of view, becoming split apart like Sudan and South Sudan did is not the way to go. There are many Westerners that want to see a black nation fall.

I guess he's a glass half full kind of bloke.

Nope. Close though. And it goes beyond looks, it's behaviour as well. There are certain stereotypical crude mannerisms associated with Nigerians.

Well Jelani has to say that. You don't expect him to be brutally honest in this modern PC society did you?

Even when we had good leaders like in the days of balewa there were issues, they ended up killing him did they not? Sure our leaders are worthless and my solution is they should all get locked up in a room and executed or shipped out of the country completely, the whole political class I mean. But that won't solve the inherent problems facing this country because these divisions exist even amongst the youth.

I am in support of restructuring in a way that suits and reflects the diversity of this country. I'd love a separate passport too for each region If ever there was a thing.

See a black nation fail? Isn't that what we've been doing for the past century?

1 Like

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Fulaman198(m): 5:40am On Feb 09, 2018
DevdanSanguine:

I guess he's a glass half full kind of bloke.

Nope. Close though. And it goes beyond looks, it's behaviour as well. There are certain stereotypical crude mannerisms associated with Nigerians.

Well Jelani I guess has to say that.

Even when we had good leaders like in the days of balewa there were issues, they ended up killing him did they not? Sure our leaders are worthless and my solution is they all we locked in a room and executed or shipped out of the country completely, the whole political class I mean. But that won't solve the inherent problems facing this country because these divisions exist even amongst the youth.

I am in support of restructuring in a way that suits and reflects the diversity of this country. I'd love a separate passport too for each region If ever there was a thing.

See a black nation fail? Isn't that what we've been doing for the past century?

Well the problem is most Nigerians are not the way you think they are. A lot of it is cultural. As you know certain ethnic groups behave differently from others, so there is no "one Nigerian behaviour fits all" kind of thing.

I often think that if there are people stereotyping Nigerians in the country you are currently at, you should do the same thing with them. I find it ridiculous when people see Nigerians a particular way. If I am abroad, I am one of the biggest defenders of the country.

Dividing Nigeria will only weaken it, also I disagree with your assertion that Nigeria has been failing for a century. It's been failing now since Babangida came into power, but prior to that, at one point 1 Naira = 2 dollars. Nigeria was set to become a great nation until Babangida came into power and then f00ls like Abacha, Goodluck Johnathan, etc. followed.

Buhari, despite what people think has great intentions for the nation. I'm not saying this because I'm a Northerner like him, I'm saying this because he's one of the first few leaders that is not corrupt. I do however agree that those who are pilfering (the elites) from the nations' wealth need to be dealt with in a way to show others their actions are not permitted.

There is a saying, United we stand, divided we fall. If we are divided we become more of a laughing stock than Sudan in its current state. This is what Westerners want to happen. They want to see Nigeria's economy grow even weaker. We don't need that. We need to starting increasing the power of the Naira (which Buhari is for, unlike that idi0t Babangida), we need to start immersing ourselves in newer tech, advancing our educational and health systems. We need to build ourselves up from a technological point of view.

Ideally, I want to see Nigeria become the next South Korea. I know that we are not a monolithic nation like S.Korea in that everyone is the same culturally speaking, but look at India. It's almost as diverse as Nigeria, yet they are doing so well.

I do not understand, but why the Pessimism? What caused it?

1 Like

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 5:58am On Feb 09, 2018
Fulaman198:

Well the problem is most Nigerians are not the way you think they are. A lot of it is cultural. As you know certain ethnic groups behave differently from others, so there is no "one Nigerian behaviour fits all" kind of thing.

I often think that if there are people stereotyping Nigerians in the country you are currently at, you should do the same thing with them. I find it ridiculous when people see Nigerians a particular way. If I am abroad, I am one of the biggest defenders of the country.

Dividing Nigeria will only weaken it, also I disagree with your assertion that Nigeria has been failing for a century. It's been failing now since Babangida came into power, but prior to that, at one point 1 Naira = 2 dollars. Nigeria was set to become a great nation until Babangida came into power and then f00ls like Abacha, Goodluck Johnathan, etc. followed.

Buhari, despite what people think has great intentions for the nation. I'm not saying this because I'm a Northerner like him, I'm saying this because he's one of the first few leaders that is not corrupt. I do however agree that those who are pilfering (the elites) from the nations' wealth need to be dealt with in a way to show others their actions are not permitted.

There is a saying, United we stand, divided we fall. If we are divided we become more of a laughing stock than Sudan in its current state. This is what Westerners want to happen. They want to see Nigeria's economy grow even weaker. We don't need that. We need to starting increasing the power of the Naira (which Buhari is for, unlike that idi0t Babangida), we need to start immersing ourselves in newer tech, advancing our educational and health systems. We need to build ourselves up from a technological point of view.

Ideally, I want to see Nigeria become the next South Korea. I know that we are not a monolithic nation like S.Korea in that everyone is the same culturally speaking, but look at India. It's almost as diverse as Nigeria, yet they are doing so well.

I do not understand, but why the Pessimism? What caused it?

Ooh trust me I hand out a lot more stereotyping than I take, most of it as a defense mechanism of course. Though I have my reservations about this country I never let anyone put it down.

Sure it may weaken our potential but it will definitely make our separate potential more attainable. The north I believe can reach the heights of Japan under the right leadership. There is no leadership that will fix Nigeria. I'd take that over what we have now.

The whole naira to dollar exchange rate thing is too complicated. I don't want to go into the economics of it all but let me assure you it is not a reliable indicator of economic well being. Even at that time, you can't even begin the US economy and that of Nigeria. Exchange rate is very artificial.

My opinion of buhari is he does have integrity and good intentions but lacks the capability to move things forward. Even corruption his forefront, times have changed to the extent that his past methods are ineffective in today's economic climate. And don't get me started with the people he's gotten himself in bed with.

There is no difference between Sudan with and without south Sudan.

I think people's obsession with exchange rate inflicts some level of bias. Exchange rate isn't always what it seems. In fact, a depreciated exchange rate can be a good thing if utilized properly. Especially at the country's current economic state.

Education healthcare etc well obviously. But to what end? How far can we go in those areas with what we have?

Look around you, countries that have succeeded have always had one uniting factor. Religion or ethnicity or culture. We lack all of these things. I told you, Nigeria is like a very bad uncomplimentary dinner of multiple palettes.

And trust me, India is not doing as well as you think, just one of those major misconceptions. Besides, they have a few uniting factors. But other than that they're just as confused as we are and in my sincerest opinion India is a much bigger cesspit than Nigeria is.

1 Like

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Fulaman198(m): 6:48am On Feb 09, 2018
DevdanSanguine:

Ooh trust me I hand out a lot more stereotyping than I take, most of it as a defense mechanism of course. Though I have my reservations about this country I never let anyone put it down.

Sure it may weaken our potential but it will definitely make our separate potential more attainable. The north I believe can reach the heights of Japan under the right leadership. There is no leadership that will fix Nigeria. I'd take that over what we have now.

The whole naira to dollar exchange rate thing is too complicated. I don't want to go into the economics of it all but let me assure you it is not a reliable indicator of economic well being. Even at that time, you can't even begin the US economy and that of Nigeria. Exchange rate is very artificial.

My opinion of buhari is he does have integrity and good intentions but lacks the capability to move things forward. Even corruption his forefront, times have changed to the extent that his past methods are ineffective in today's economic climate. And don't get me started with the people he's gotten himself in bed with.

There is no difference between Sudan with and without south Sudan.

I think people's obsession with exchange rate inflicts some level of bias. Exchange rate isn't always what it seems. In fact, a depreciated exchange rate can be a good thing if utilized properly. Especially at the country's current economic state.

Education healthcare etc well obviously. But to what end? How far can we go in those areas with what we have?

Look around you, countries that have succeeded have always had one uniting factor. Religion or ethnicity or culture. We lack all of these things. I told you, Nigeria is like a very bad uncomplimentary dinner of multiple palettes.

And trust me, India is not doing as well as you think, just one of those major misconceptions. Besides, they have a few uniting factors. But other than that they're just as confused as we are and in my sincerest opinion India is a much bigger cesspit than Nigeria is.

I don't necessarily agree with that statement. You may think India is not doing well, but they actually are. They have bolstered their military, they have created a booming tech economy in Bangalore, and they just keep rising. Most of what you can find in the Western world is now in India. Can you explain how India isn't doing well?

Brasil is a multi-ethnic nation, I guess for the most part they are Christians but other than that, the similarities stop there. Look at how far they have come in the last few decades.

The United States is built on the foundation of immigrants. Most people that do the STEM jobs there (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) are not even white, most are from Africa, Asia and Eastern Europe, yet a white male typically leads them even if he is typically less educated than they are.

What Nigeria needs are ideas, who cares if we have different cultures here? We need people to innovate, to come up with new ideas, but most importantly we need to GET RID of corruption. It is the biggest thing that is killing us right now. Do you really think that if we had a leader doing well in the nation for us that ethnic divisions would be as rampant as they are today? They would still exist but not to the same extent.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You / Strange Scenes From Coronation Of Oba In Benin Kingdom. / Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 195
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.